Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a big fan of ark yet I didn’t spend any time reading this so some of my things may be being added already. 

1. Spinosaurus: he deserves the ability to walk on two legs if he desires as well as make his sail more foldable.

2. Rex raptor etc. for all dinos that just have 1 attack or 1 and a roar. Something new has to be added. Raptor can’t do CRAP rn

3. New Dinosaurs!!! This isn’t just an easy thing to whip up I get that. But there are SOO many new dinosaurs not in the game! Not to mention like 8 different types of flyers that could be added, I think we need some sort of carnivorous Dino that would walk on 4 legs. I did research and if there are some, there aren’t many but here is a list to all carnivorous dinosaurs

https://www.thoughtco.com/carnivorous-dinosaur-pictures-and-profiles-4032323

As a general pet-related quality of life feature, I'd like to have options to hide some or all of the floating names for tamed creatures without *also* losing the ability to use a spyglass to see what wild creatures are.  For example, I play singleplayer.  I don't need to constantly see "Tamed By: Rylee" over every single one of my pets.  I also don't need to know their level most of the time, and I only need to see if they're following or not if I'm actually getting ready to lead them somewhere.  It would be extremely helpful if there was an option to toggle through different states for tamed pet floating names.  Using the toggle to hide the entire UI isn't a great option, because again I have to give up other useful information just so I can look around my fort and see anything besides a wall of green text.

If it could toggle through different states like follow distance, that would be ideal.

So, for example:

1)  Default, exactly like now with all information shown.

2)  Name only.

3)  Name and buff icons (feeding trough, mate boosted, mating)

4) Name follow state

5)  Name and "special" states, like stored charge for lantern pets.

It would also be really nice if there was an option to have the name only display at close range or using a spyglass (like wild dinos work now) or only if I'm close and have the pet in the crosshairs.  (Like it currently does with the giant floating info box that totally obscures whatever tame you are looking at unless you hide the UI.)  Along those lines, it would be very helpful to have similar visibility options for structure nameplates.  Again, it would be nice to walk around my base without everything popping up a tag stating what piece it is and how much HP it has constantly.  I'd like the information there *if I need it,* but I don't need it on all the time.

As part of a TLC and visual upgrade pass, it would be nice if the FX for buffs could be revisited, again with maybe an option for less jarring / cartoonish effects.  I'd like to have wolves and hyenas and ravagers without my best ones all looking like they're on fire.  And the yutyrannus and daeodon buffs are just... I want to believe they're placeholders, but they're not.  Yuty buffs are especially awful an small mounts, since all you can see is Giant Glowing Gold Glow.  And the timer circles floating overhead are just visually obnoxious.  Again, I'm sure some people are just fine with the current look.  I would just appreciate the *option* to have something a bit less jarring and obviously "video game."

As far as the images you've shown of the new models, they mostly look decent.  I personally would prefer it if the wolves didn't have a constant snarl baked into the model.  In general, I'd also love to see the saddles redesigned, and the giant metal barbells in the mouths of nearly everything gotten rid of.  The saddles for Raptors are good example of what I'd like to see instead.  To me, the giant metal bits are just silly.  And for some critters, like rexes and sharks, it makes it look like they'd break their jaws if they ever tried to close their mouths.  Even aside from the goofiness of a giga walking around with a metal bar in its mouth the size of a small pickup truck.

As an additional suggestion:  some kind of structure that small pets can perch on.  Actual perches for small flyers and monkeys, nesting boxes or something for dodos and kairuku.  If there was an option that would work for slightly larger dinos like dilos and pegos, that would be really nice.  It would help with organizing a base (anything with a saddle can be ridden to position it more or less exactly where you want it, but the best you can do for dodos is throw them "somewhere over there."  Dilos are even worse, since they may or may not decide to follow you, and generally stop sort of where ever they feel like it.) 

It would also be useful to be able to use something like this with platform saddles and rafts.  On The Island, I'd love to be able to have a mobile snow biome base on a paracer or bronto, with some kairuku to help with keeping it warm.  Right now, it doesn't really work - the slight sway of the idle animation means that eventually, the penguins are all squished up against one wall or another.  Then they clip through the wall and fall off.

Specific creature related request:  Please, *please* either take collision off the last couple of feet of raptor tails, or change their idle so that it doesn't swing constantly across a huge area.  It makes having more than one of them anywhere in your base very frustrating, since they effectively take up *way* more space than they have any right.  I can't tell you how often I've tried to walk past (or worse, between) two where I should have plenty of room, only to be pinned to a wall or slapped back because raptor tails are apparently made out of indestructible Cratium.  (The material games like Mass Effect make crates out of, the most ridiculously impervious substance in existence.)

Also, if you could update the collision box for Megoloceros it would be nice.  They don't actually *need* their entire set of antlers to be solid.  Again, it makes it unnecessarily frustrating to be around them in a base, and especially when you are taming them.  Worse, the collision boxes also exist for the females, but the antler mesh is invisible.  (The anchor points on their skull are not, which also looks weird.  Why not just model the female with a properly smooth skull, and then *hide* the anchor point with the antler mesh?)  I usually try to stick close to wild critters as I tame them, and it has happened more than once that I've been lifted up and snagged on the antler mesh when the animal stands up again.

For the Onyc (giant bat) please consider giving it a landing animation and the ability to be carried as a shoulder pet.  Right now, it's something you tame for the novelty of having one, and to unlock the "got one of everything" achievement.  The constant wing flapping and wildly unpredictable collision box makes their passive taming incredibly difficult, and the fact that you can't carry them makes getting a tamed one out of most of the caves somewhere between "insanely frustrating" and "simply impossible."  As pets, there's nothing they can do that isn't done better by creatures that are far easier to manage.  Arthropleura are better at breaking armor, and even if most shoulder mounted flyers can't match them for damage, they are far simpler to tame.

If you are unwilling to add new animations, please at least consider removing the collision mesh from their wings to that it is possible to tame them without basically being forced to glitch them against a wall or rock.

Along the lines of the Onyc suggestions, please consider allowing the Archeoperyx to be a properly shoulder mounted pet.  They are *mildly* novel as an improvised glider.  But the fact that you have to hand carry them (instead of shoulder mounting) means that you have to choose between having an archy and doing literally *everything else that requires hands.*  They are basically useless as emergency parachutes, since it's far, far easier to just... carry emergency parachutes.  And with the addition of Aberration, they are completely outclassed by the glider units.  If there was a way to find repair materials for the gliders on older maps, there would literally be no reason whatsoever to use an archy.  As with the onyc, there is nothing they can do which can't be done by stuff which is far easier to manage.

Invertebrate breeding:  I would like to see this added to at least some of the giant insects.  I believe a dev stated that "the current breeding mechanics don't work with their radically different life cycle."  Or something somewhat similar to that.  The problem with that statement is that some of the tameable creatures in game don't have larval stages.  I'm fairly certain that *real* scorpions actually give birth to live young, which look exactly like extremely tiny versions of the mother.  Mantis do hatch from eggs, but they have nymph stages, not larvae - immature mantis look basically like adults, but smaller and with less developed wings. Immature millipedes do look somewhat different than adults, but not radically.  (As far as "breaking from reality," real arthropleura were almost certainly detritivores, so the Ark versions being carnivorous and able to spit armor shattering venom is already a massive change.)

Short version:  I'd like to see in-game breeding added to scorpions and mantis.  As combat/utility pets, it would be useful to be able to improve their stats.  From a cosmetic perspective, I'm sure some players might enjoy the ability to add mutation colors to them.  And for Mantis, it would be nice to have an option to breed them so that you can have extras if you are using them as guard / harvesting mounts.  I know the Tek Cloning chamber exists, but in Scorched Earth so do thunderstorms.  The chance of a random storm instantly and irreversibly annihilating your source animal by disabling the cloning chamber would seem to make it very inefficient to even spend the resources to construct the chamber there.

Some more requests

please please please make it so all creatures can swim around the entire ocean, not just the darkest depths. It makes no sense that they simply give up and turn back after a certain height. Having them swim the entire ocean would breathe new life into the waters of ark. Imagine a mosa snatching things from the waters surface or a group of plesios swimming together near the shoreline.

please make it so creatures can beach themselves without dying, give them a really slow walking animation and allow them to visit land briefly without dying. creatures like the plesio and mosa could actually do this in real life - and it would prevent the manta from being so fragile (and hence rarely used).

Schools of fish and birds - herds in general - would love to see creatures move together... it would be beautiful - at the moment the majority seem to wander around aimlessly

giant ants - please have them spawn in larger groups or at least with some kind of variation - the predictable two flying ants and three crawling ones is immersion killing and unrealistic.

maybe have them spawn from nests with some kind of resource spawning inside as a reward for tackling them?

would love fall damage to be turned on for wild creatures - i know the ai isnt smart enough to avoid cliffs but it would at least make for a brutal sight instead of a ridiculous one when they leap to their doom.

thanks

Please, NO rework of the existing kibble system that makes it easier, less amount of kibble etc.

Kibble system is just fine as it is right now. Both for taming and raising.

Please do not listen to the hype that a kibble rework would fix the dino overpopulation.

It would not reduce the overall dino population at all. All it would get rid of would be the lovely eggers in the game. All those level 5 - 40s would get replaced with more (insert your favorite dino"s here) dino's, more breeding stock to increase breeding lines, more boss fight dinos, etc. Everyone would still push the tame limit to the max.

End result- lots of wasted time on WC part and lots more moaning and groaning from the "we know more than you WC" player base.

For the Harvest and Item collection needs to be more specific on what you can Enable and disable. Like for an example You just want HIDE not Raw Meat, No Raw Prime, No Chitin/Keratin, No Organic Paolymer, No Oil, No Black Pearls, and/or any resources you don't want your Dino to Harvest/Pick up or Collect unwanted Items/Resources you don't need/want on your Dino. That would be really useful to have so your Dion doesn't get weight ed down on unwant Items/Recourses. Thank about Please.

For the Harvest and Item collection needs to be more specific on what you can Enable and disable. Like for an example You just want HIDE not Raw Meat, No Raw Prime, No Chitin/Keratin, No Organic Paolymer, No Oil, No Black Pearls, and/or any resources you don't want your Dino to Harvest/Pick up or Collect unwanted Items/Resources you don't need/want on your Dino. That would be really useful to have so your Dion doesn't get weight ed down on unwant Items/Recourses. Thank about Please.

As you ask @Jatheish ,

- Fix the Tyrannus arms. A Tyrannus never been able to have this "mantis praying" arm postion. It's just look like stupid.

- Fix the Carnotaurus arms. I never understood this stupid arm position including the tiny hands. A Carnotaurs had also mor powerfull claws.

- Fix the Pteranodon ! It means Ptera with no teeth, but this model has teeth .... for me just annoying

- Dilophosarus complete remodeling. These were nearly 2 meter high, don't have a collar or neigther spit.

With a master degree in palaentology,  these points are even more annoying. 

Following some mechanic ideas for older creatures:

Parasaurs - 1. can warn nearby cratures/player with noises for larger predators 2.herding, small predators wouldn't attack

Spider - can climb as like the megalania

Dodo - passiv tame like Lystrosarus

Brontosaurus - stamp attack

Spinosaurus - second attack if standing in water (stand onlegs and mag more damage with the claws or even can hold medium prey (?)).

Carbonemys - 1. withdrawl into the shell (no or nearly no damage) 2. 2x2 plattform saddle

Megalodons - chance of bleeding

Mesopeticus - 1. able to climb on trees 2. throw poop if spooked or attacked while more Mesopeticus arround.

Gigantopeticus . able to wear armour

9 hours ago, Palenor said:

Please, NO rework of the existing kibble system that makes it easier, less amount of kibble etc.

Kibble system is just fine as it is right now. Both for taming and raising.

Please do not listen to the hype that a kibble rework would fix the dino overpopulation.

It would not reduce the overall dino population at all. All it would get rid of would be the lovely eggers in the game. All those level 5 - 40s would get replaced with more (insert your favorite dino"s here) dino's, more breeding stock to increase breeding lines, more boss fight dinos, etc. Everyone would still push the tame limit to the max.

End result- lots of wasted time on WC part and lots more moaning and groaning from the "we know more than you WC" player base.

it is not fine, as it stands every tribe needs an extra 3-5 hundred dinos just for kibble. so are you suggesting that a tribe needs 3-5 hundred rexes or such?

I really love what's going on here with the TLC pass, and have been looking forward to it for a long time. One creature i've always wanted to see reworked was the mosasaurus. I wont lie, it's a pretty awesome creature, but i think it deserves at least a visual rework, as i think it could be made into a much more powerful, and intimidating looking creature. A few other creatures that i would love to see remodeled are the Paraceratherium, and the Stegosaurus. I think it would add for a much more beautiful and immersive experience to the game. Super hyped for all of this either way tho, keep up the awesome work Wildcard

I would LOVE to have a rideable Purlovia,it would be with no doubts one of my favorite mounts; The Gigantopithecus could 'learn' to do certain things when wandering on the base, like collecting eggs and poop, or even taking care of the crop plots; The triceratops could be a little  bigger and faster, and have  a charge attack.

• Volunteer Moderator

As the Raptor is on the list for some TLC i'd like to reprise my request from a Digest in 2016.

Survivor, GamerPerfection asks, “Would it be possible to have some creatures, like a Raptor, crouch when you are mounted, it would be good to have that when trying to sneak up on targets when you're going through think bush-land.”

Very interesting idea, might be good for the Raptor in TLC pass ;)

The digest was here: 

@JatheishI was thinking about this the other day, why don’t triceratops give prime meat? They seem to meat (Typo turned pun) the criteria of most other herbivores that give prime like stego, bronto, Therizino etc. That being that they are of a large size and stand their ground when attacked rather than flee. So do you think that they should give prime meat? I do!

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived