Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

Some ideas for creatures behaviors:

Sleeping Time:

Creatures sleep. Some are active the day, others at night... Some species are also taking short naps. Every Creatures as a sleeping animation like the Megalosaurus. There is a sleep stat. It goes down with time, like hunger. The more stamina you use, the more the sleep stat decrease.

Eating and Drinking New Dynamic:

Herbivorous are eating bushes, leaves or the ground flora (destroying bushes, trees and grass). Carnivorous are eating corpses (after killing the prey). Both are drinking water. Eating and Drinking animations are used on resources/corpses. It doesn't deal damage around but satisfy thrust and hunger while reducing the durability of the targeted resources. It happens when using the attack command on resources.

Thirst and Hunger:

The behavior of wild creatures depends of their thirst and hunger. Thirst has an influence on stamina. Hunger has an influence on behavior (passive, aggressive, neutral). Carnivorous are more aggressive when hungry, they have the Starving Status Effect and they have a bigger aggro radius, being aggressive to every potential kind of preys.

Weather, Time and Biomes Boosts:

Creatures have a bonus/malus depending of the biome, the weather and the time of the day (night/day). Some are adapted to many kinds of biomes, weathers and times and have smaller bonus, others have more specifics conditions but bigger bonuses. For example: Mammoth would have a health bonus in the snow biome. Achatina would have a speed bonus when the weather is rainy. Direwolf would have an attack bonus at night.

Stealth Move Set:

This move set is used to hunt or hide. It works like the "run" move set, changing moving animations and speed. Humans and creatures can use it.  They move closer to the ground, slower, near silent... When a creature uses the stealth move set, they can go 2x closer to other creatures before turning them into "attack or flee" behavior. Creatures are 2x less detectable by the Detection ability when moving stealthy.

Defensive Move Set:

Some creatures /ankylo, doedicurus, carbonemys…) will take a defensive position (in their shell or ready to fight...) when a predator is too closed to them. Some predators won't attack creatures that are in defensive position (too difficult to kill, too many risks of damages...). This move set is a substitute to the stealth move set.

Food Chain and Hunting/Fleeing Behaviors:

Every predator looked for some (3-5) specific prey-species: Their Natural Preys. They attack “unnatural” preys only if the predator is too hungry. Some preys attract specific predators: Their Natural Predators. You can use those preys as Bait to attract specific predators. Preys also flee at the sight of their natural predators (or another potential predator), or when hearing his roar. Predators will only focus on their natural preys when they are in the area. If there is none of their natural preys, they will look after other potential, but unnatural, preys. A rex will hunt trikes, paras and iguanodon, ignoring other creatures like dodo, raptor and bronto that aren’t one of his natural preys. Paras will flee when they see raptors or rex, without waiting for the attack.

Predators Respect:

Predators won’t attack each other’s, except if hungry. If a big predator attacks a prey, smaller predators will flee from the fight. Raptors will go away of their para-prey if a rex start attacking this para.

Detection Ability:

Most of the creatures have a detection ability. They have the same detection ability as the tek helmet but doesn’t detect everything. Predators can detect their natural preys in a big radius. Herbivorous can detect the resources they need (fruits, trees, bushes…). As the tek helmet, you can disable this view. It changes the way to hunt and collect resources. Some creatures can detect preys exactly like the tek helmet, some only detect the Smell Track of creatures (you can hide your smell with water, poop…), some only detect Moving Creatures (by sound, you need to stop moving or use the stealth move set), some only detect the Heat of Creatures (you can hide it with clothes…) and finally some only detects Bleeding Creatures (you can hide by healing your wound). It changes the way predators are hunting and how to escape/hide from them.

Footprints and Blood Tracks:

Footprints stays for a few minutes, spawning when creatures/players are walking. It allows you to follow your prey track or identify creatures wandering around. Blood Tracks works the same way, when a creature starts bleeding it lets a blood track on the ground. Useful to follow a bleeding prey. A creature stop bleeding when her health is back to the max.

Creature’s Nests:

Creatures are building nests where they store food, let their eggs and sleep. Nests are, like beaver dam, structures spawned by dinos. Every dino can build 1 nest. If it builds a new one, the old one will be considered as “abandoned” and have a spoiling timer. You can ask tames to build a nest if they have enough resources. They will build it exactly where they stand at the time of the building order.

New Creatures Carrying Dynamic:

Creatures, without saddles, can only carry some specific resources and cannot carry structures and items. For example, an herbivorous can carry wood, berries but not meat. A predator can carry meat and skins but not structures or weapons. If you put a saddle on a creature, you can then put every kind of resources and items in the inventory.

Waiting, Cleaning, Scratching and Playing Animations:

Some animations that will help creatures to look more naturals, not just standing without doing anything else. It happens when they don’t move.

Animations When Taking Damages:

There is a Damage Taking Animation for every creature when they get a medium amount of damages. There is a Falling Animation for every creature when they get a large amount of damages, or when they are projected by a charged attack or when they fall from a cliff. They fall on a side or on their back and lay down on the ground until they try to move. Creatures are taking more damage when they lay down on the ground. When they try to move there is a Get Up Animation. You take 2 times less damages during the animations.

Herd and Migration Dynamic:

A lot of herbivorous have a pack behavior. They stay relatively close to each other, move from one place to another in groups. If one is attacked they all flee or attack. They flee in the same directions. They are all looking for food and water at the same time, do their nests in the same places. They are sometimes multi-species pack (stego and kentro for example).

Size Variations:

Some variations in size (small, medium, big models) for creatures. Some dinos of a same specie would be a bit smaller or a bit bigger than the original model. Bigger means more powerful, smaller means faster.

Male Rivalry:

Males of some species (wooly rhinos, carnos, mammoth…) will fight each other until one is killed/flees. The winner has a mating boost.

Watch Mode:

You can use every kind of creature as a “Watch dog”. You can set the attack radius and the creature will fight everything coming in this radius, but it will never go out of this radius. At the end of the fight the creature come back to his original standing point.

Fur Protection:

All creatures with fur/fat give an Insulation effect depending on their fur and size.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some ideas for Creatures Updates:

All invertebrates: 
Breedable, there are eggs and different looks (metamorphosis)

Ankylo:
It automaticly deals damages like the spike wall when too closed to him

Araneo: 
New ability: It can climb walls and trees

Argentavis:
New Ability: It is powerful enough to ignore Wind effects. It has a diving ability like griffin.

Beelzebufo:
It can climb walls and trees like modern frog.

Carnotaurus:
Should be able to change color like a chameleon, but without going invisible like the rockdrake.

Dilophosaurus:
Bigger but still unrideable.

Dimetrodon:
It's a good farming dino because, thanks to his spine, it provides a “Greenhouse Effect” with a big radius around him.

Kentrosaurus:
It automaticly deals damages like the spike wall when too closed to him

Liopleurodon: 
It can be permanently tamed but loses his “luck” ability.

Mammoth:
They have a new platform saddle to be war mounts.

Mantis: 
New ability: It can climb walls and trees. Should be able to change color like a chameleon, but without going invisible like the rockdrake.

Microraptor:
New ability: It can climb walls and trees

Onyc: 
New ability: It can hang from ceiling 

Pachycepholosaurus:
When it attacks, it has a boost at breaking doors.

Trike: 
New look: Bigger model, they are way to small compared to rexes. New ability: Defensive Formation, they make a circle formation when a predator is near, protecting each other’s back. Max circle of 8 trikes.

Pteranodon:
It can dive like the griffin.

Raptor: 
New ability: Jump Attack, they jump and use their claws to stay on the prey, biting it for a few seconds (it uses a lot of stamina to stay on the prey). Then they jump back, go away (waiting for stamina to refill) and let another raptor take his turn. They do it until the prey is dead.

Rex:
Should have a boost against other predators. Ability to grab and throw preys with his jaws.

Sabertooth: 
New ability: It can climb walls and trees like panthers in real life.

Sarcosuchus:
New ability: His jaws ignore armors and armored creatures (doed, ankylo, carbonemys) protection. It has the same Deflection Ability than the tek shield: all bullets and other projectiles are deflected. 

Titanoboa: 
New ability: It can climb walls and trees. Rideable. It can struggle creatures like boa.

Wooly Rhino:
His attack has a boost against gates.

Argentavis ----    It looks more like an overgrown sparrow crossed with an eagle... It's wing span is too short like a sparrow's and it's wing movement is too rigid !   If it's supposed to be a vulture, make it have more soaring animations with occasional flap when it's still rather than constant flapping.  It should look more like an over-grown vulture...

(Please add a giant owl to the red wood forest)

Increase the size of some of the smaller dinos under the same premise as T-Rex sizes were increased - the strange radiation makes everything hungrier and grow faster or w/e lol. The purpose is to increase the utility of some of the smaller underused dinos, like the pachyceph and the trike. I don't think any dino should be considered "egg farm only" but you've got a few of those, and a simple size / damage boost would make their unique qualities more useful (like the pachy knockout charge).

Also please consider allowing steering when something is charging. I refer you to the Charger in L4D2, which had very limited steering, but a skillful player could set up the charge so the steering was effective. And chances to use skill are good, always :D

• Pelagornis should be able to dive underwater, to make them a useful air and sea mount
  • Plesis need a MUCH larger attack hitbox, they're useless compared to Mosas and Squids
  • Sarco just needs hitbox retooling, like, really badly
  • Spino needs it's roar lmao
  • Allo and Ravager bleed should be changed to 1% of health instead of 5%, which should be exclusively kept on Gigas
  • Reapers should have a chance of being a King or a Queen, because Queens have the same tamed stat deal as Gigas and you said they were going to be tamable back pre-Aberration
  • Anything to make the Lymantria or however it's spelt useful. Anything.
  • Quetz stam buff or speed buff, take your pick. They're too slow to be useful, it's better off just making a weight Wyvern
  • Poison Wyverns should be able to do torpor
  • Arthropleura need just, a massive buff in everything, as do Araneos. Anything that's a pain to tame deserves to be just as strong as a Carno at the very least
  • Saddles for Wolves/Phoenix/Ovis/Diplocalus/Wyvern/Reaper/Griffin? The Equus got one. Ovis doesn't need one, and Diplocalus is iffy, but it'd be very useful onto Wolves/Reapers and useful onto Wyvern/Griffins. 
  • Phoenix is an ass to tame so it deserves just. Better weight. Why tame it when you can instead use a Fire Wyvern?
  • All smaller early game mounts should have some use late game besides kibble farms
  • Potential back-kick or smth like an Equus for the female Megaloceros?
  • Titanoboas need to be a lot easier to tame than Basilisks lmao
  • Not Dino TLC, but we still need that prime meat equivalent for Herbivores that you said about a while back

Give the pelagornis and otter the ability to harvest prime fish. The ichthyornis does, but the others are very limited utility. The amount of pearls you get from an otter doesn't make a difference in your crafting, and the pelagornis' harvest ability isn't really useful compared to a raptor/carno/rex harvesting. So they both need a little something to help the player, and prime fish is undersupported for harvesting compared to prime meat. This won't compete with the ichthy because of the ichthy's special ability (which is cool), the otter gets too warm to carry all the time, and while the pela is a water mount, it's not an underwater mount where you will be harvesting megalodons etc. for the prime. So each has a separate way they can help with prime fish and none of them overlap, really.

Change the top non-kibble taming food for sea creatures to prime fish? It only makes sense for many of them to have prime fish be the prime meat equivalent, but prime fish is often far worse than even prime meat. And honestly, they shouldn't care a bit about mutton. Leave that for the land dinos and make the sea creatures a bit more distinct that way.  

Tameable seekers. Allow them to be tamed by blasting them with charge, either from PSZ fruits, a charge lantern, or a charge pet. Then, once tamed allow them to drain charge from those previously mentioned sources. This would be an indirect buff to the reapers, as a flock of Seekers can drain the charge that would weaken them

(This is my first "post" on the forums so bear with me)

So, I have questions for this TLC pass. Also, this is one of my most anticipated updates yet. I don't exactly know why, but lets move on.

1. Will the Pass fix glitches/bugs that occur with some of the older dinosaurs? (i.e. The Sarco's tail bending and getting stuck in trees, and I mean IN)

2. Will the pass moderate some dino statistics? Like, the Pteranodon having so little stamina or the Ankylosaurus being essentially weightless

I assume the TLC pass will be on every dinosaur up to scorched earth and possibly a select few past it 

Now that I had some more time with the new Rex design I have an addendum suggestion:

The new Rex design, as my previous post, I stand by it. It looks awesome. However the spikes above the eyebrow are too further out in my opinion. The current model has less pronounced spikes above the eye, and it looks good as it is. This is the sole thing on the new Rex model that is bothering me now and it didn't when it first was presented due to the overwhelming improvement overall. The rest of the model looks fantastic and I see no reason to mess with the rest.

Cheers 

EDIT: Also, I keep forgetting this but is it possible to make Onycs land (or hang from the ceilling)? At least have the option once its tamed. It feels awfully tiresome for them. While I vaguely remember the phoenix was intended to be perpetually flying, I would also appreciate it if there would be an option to make it land, no need for any stats or benefits, just for the sake of animation and ease of mind.

EDIT 2: Now I have caught up with the posts, I see several people talking about the Giganotosaurus and a slight size decrease. Having the Rex as my favorite of all time, it may feel strange to say this: I like the current absurd size of the Giga (in fact I like some liberties taken with other species as well). I can't really explain it, but its cool to have a Theropod stand tall above the trees and make proper use of the Behemoth Gate (aside from the Bronto). The model does need some revision, it looks dated and it could be so much more. If the model does shrink, then it be cool if we could find a replacement for that size. Another Theropod dino or even a fictional Theropod. However, I would like to cast a vote to keep the Giga in size while updating its looks. I have seen some pictures on these threads and there is a brownish Giga posted by someone that looks particularly cool as a starting template. May the devs and the community decide, I just wanted to cast a vote in favor of our current Giga. 

Not sure if it's the good place for it but... 

As they have people working on the old model of Dinos, I had a suggestion. What they are doing (Aberration, new dinos models...) is awesome ! And I thought that it would also be awesome if, after replacing the old models of the first creatures, they could ADD new models for more creatures, having more creatures variants !

I think that it would be awesome to have, for example, the new sarcosuchus model as a marine croco close to beaches AND an other model visually different as a "swamp croco" (looking more like an alligator, it could be the Deinosuchus). Sames abilities and roles but only an other visual model. 

Same with Direbears and Polar Bears (the original need a rework but the two variants should look visually different, not only size or color but the whole model) 

That's just some ideas for what happened next, after the rework of the old models. They are already doing a very good job and that's awesome to see how much they keep working on, thanks WC ! ;)

All of the small mounts (raptor, pachy, terror bird, kapro, deer, equis, dire wolf, saber, galli, ravager, frog, iguanadon, scorpion, spider, mantis, arthro, megalania and thylo, did I miss one?) should have that 50% weight boost and high weight like the ravager. I really like how the ravager has that bonus making it incredibly useful to small tribes but also is a good option for advanced tribes to quickly get some resources with a tool. Obviously they don't replace a harvesting Dino like a doed or anky. These tames should be your everyday getting around mount being fast have enough melee damage and health to deal with many threats a player on foot could not and have enough weight to carry a decent amount of reasources for when you need to cross the map for something like obsidian or crystal. The ravager does all of this perfectly but all of the others mentioned get outclassed by larger Dino's such as a Rex because they often have higher weight and can deal with more threats or flyers for obvious reasons.

Also most of these Dino's have very trash stats, like a raptor that struggles to carry its rider and kill dodos without running out of stamina, ravager is a good reference for stats. Most already have distinct abilities but some do not (raptor, deer, galli, scorpion, dire wolf, saber) and some need updated abilities. The areno and scorpion seem too slow to fit this role so either buff movement speed or give them traveling abilities like a grapple web for areno and climbing for both otherwise they have no perpous being tamed other than for eggs.

Many of these are older Dino's and could use a remodel as well (Raptor, areno, pachy and terror bird need one the most) and of course the wolf will be getting a new model.

So I'm back and A lot of people want to see the carno become useful, I have an idea, while probably not a trait the real life carno had, but In the Jurrassic Park book Lore, Carnos have the Ability to Camoflauge, it would be a really cool idea and Would make an interesting mechanic for a Vanilla Creature, also Make the new Model and Animations more Menacing, I want to fear this animal when on foot

Stego could use an increase in base movement speed, they are slow and useless, perhaps a scour ability with their tail like the kentro, and a better run animation, and an increase in size

Raptor, I feel should have a more horizontal look especially the head area, faster movement, higher jump, and perhaps an ability to latch onto bigger animals and start tearing into them with their claws, smaller animal would be pinned down and killed

Tuso or squid  while a great addition, needs a better hit box so things don't get stuck inside you,  and/or make it so smaller creatures just get pushed out of the way of this massive beast, in fact that mechanic would be useful to all larger animals

Titanosaurus, The dossier said anything to be step in by this thing would be crushed as it causally walks about, yet it doesn't happen, make it so, and reduce how often it moves, the things moves about way too much in the wild

That's what I got this time when I think of more I'll be back

I have an idea for a mod or TLC pass on the compy. Currently, it is so limited in its use that they are just not worth taming. They'll alert you to a nearby player as a shoulder mount, but don't give a notification like abberation light pets. And light pets can be WAY more adorable. Here are my proposed changes.

1) compy doesn't get automatic aggro from any creature, tamed or wild, as it's new role makes it a sneaky and hard to spot dinosaur.

2) when shouldered, if a player is detected, you get a notification the same as the light pets.

3) attack damage is detection range. The greater the range, the further he can detect hostiles.

4) oxygen is detection rate. At 100, detection may be only once every 15 minutes (as a recharge). At 1000, that may drop to every minute. Could also be worked like the troodons where a level up gives him a specialization stat to apply.

5) When left in the wild on detection mode, he will alert your tribe of player movement the same exact way tripping a tripwire alarm does. If you don't know, a tripped tripwire sounds the alarm to everyone in your tribe telling you when it was tripped. This is also recorded in tribe log. It is also very loud and annoying. Detection by compy alerts you with a quick compy chirp and a chat box notification/tribe log. No player or tribe names are given.

6) compy is a passive only tame when alone and behaves like a moschops. When in a group, they are the aggressive annoying things we know now.

These changes would take the compy out of a beach nuisance/kibble role, and turn it into a small and hard to detect spy.

This could be useful for detecting movements on paths to your base, or detecting someone leaving their base. Have one path up your base? A compy on a path could tell you trouble is headed your way. It can also tell you when someone left theirs.

It can be used to know when someone is out farming metal at a node, so you can ambush them in the wild. 

Could be used to let you know general traffic in an area. Want to hide a base somewhere? Drop a handful of compies there. See if there's any foot traffic running through the area.

I'm sure there are some other uses. But that's what I would use it for.

I know all of the creatures in ark are fictional subspecies which allows the devs to stray from realism but the scale of many creatures in ark is extraordinarily off. I understand why everything is larger than it was in life because let's face it Dino's weren't absolutely huge like they are in pop culture and in a game where you can ride almost all of them making than a bit larger is excusable. But why do they have to be so disproportionate to each other, for example; the Trex was ~12m long, gigas were ~13m and all those other large theropods (Allo, carno, megalo, yuty and bary) were ~8.5m - 9m so they should all be about 3/4 the size of a Rex and a Giga should be only slightly larger.

Now the devs might have made the size so different because they wanted them to all be unique in the game and some are early game wile some are meant to be tamed later but the reality is they all share the same role in the game and the end game ones usefulness is proportionate to their size meaning the ark Giga is about 20x better than a carno making the carno useless against it. I think the game would be better if the early game combat Dino's had somewhat of a chance against the endgame ones if they were all based around the size of a Rex and had stats to match their size so a carno, bary or Allo was about 3/4 as powerful and as large as a Rex and the Giga would be slightly better than a rex. There would still be an advantage to progressing to those late game tames but it would be much less giving smaller tribes a greater chance to defend against large alpha tribes. Of course they could probably never raid those alphas with early game gear and the alphas usually have stockpiled larger amounts of tames and gear but at least they won't get helplessly steamrolled in a single fight like they do now.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived