Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are fantastic! A lot of the older creatures don't exactly look that great compared to the standard set by the latest base creatures, as well as new Aberration creatures. But ALL the old, ugly creatures don't look bad enough to warrant a complete re-do. The ones that most sorely need it are the oldest, most bottom of the pile ones. Here's my list of creatures that in my opinion really need a visual re-do:

- Basically every single bird added to the game puts the Argentavis to shame. It looks like a weird, fat, stiff blob with cardboard wings and treetrunk legs. Although it's a lot of work, the Argy in my opinion requires a complete re-do. New model, new animations. Look at the griffin's amazing eagle face, talons and wings, and compare it with the Argy.

- The Bronto, like the old rex, straight up looks like a plastic toy. It moves like a toy, and you can even see the seams where a toy's parts would go together. It looks and moves like the sauropod counterpart to the toy t-rex from Pixar's Toy Story. The bronto in particular is bad because it's so big, so it creates a stylistic disconnect in quality from the rest of the game when so many things look much better now.

- The Mammoth is one of those creatures I forget exists, because it's so ugly and strange that I never tame them. Although I don't personally like the strange double-tanged spiky tusks, I accept that ARK has its own art style and I appreciate that you stick to it. But the mammoth, like the bronto, looks like a toy. A more properly proportioned mammoth would be amazing.

- Yet another plastic toy imitator, the Triceratops looks very dated and ugly. It's got weird elephant feet and very stiff animations. From what I've seen of the Pachyrhino, they appear to share the same rig, so I'd say take the Pachyrhino and reverse-engineer it into a Trike. The morellatops, despite being fictional, is the best ceratopsid in the game yet. The way it moves and runs looks amazing.

- Stegosaurus looks horrendous when compared to the Kentrosaurus, which is basically the same animal with a different set of spikes and plates.

- The Parasaur is alright, but could use a touch-up. Some smoother animations would be nice.

- Pteranodon feels like one of those creatures that were made before Ark really established what kind of style it wanted to go for. The wings are really weird and jagged, and make no sense. It could do with looking more to the standard of the Tapejara, but with narrower wings.

- The Raptor is strange and stiff with a boxy snout and feathers that seem like they were tacked on just for the heck of it. I think it could benefit from getting a more sleek, stalking look, with feathers that are more in line with later additions. You don't have to cover it in feathers in places where it doesn't already have them, just make them look more natural and less like flat, glued-on additions. The neck at the base of the head is way too thick. I think the raptor looks really nice in this official art https://i.redd.it/y3c0nfr4hpiz.jpg, where the head isn't as flat and boxy.

Most of the creatures I've mentioned are among the very first a new player on The Island will encounter, and the way they look will set the standard of visual quality that the new player would expect.

1 hour ago, Ceetron said:

Please for the love of god make the argy look more like its dossier counterpart PLEASE

I agree on this. If this isn't on the list of dino's in need of a rework in design then I don't know what you're doing. The Argy is one of if not THE most used flyers in the Ark meta. While I feel the Pteranodon and Quetzal aged nicely into the rest of the newer dinos, the Argy I feel just began to look... weird and old. Trust me that the entire community would thank you dearly for an Argy TLC pass. 

I think it would be good if all the OG dinosaurs got re done, especially the parasaur and other lower tier dinos. The parasaur just doesn't have anything which attracts you to it anymore, where as when ark first came out, it was the go to mount. it would be cool if it had a calling system, where you could call herbivores around you to come to your aid (as i couldn't imagine a trike would just sit there while a raptor was chewing on the other herbies nearby, or a weight buff, as an all round pack mule, just something to bring these guys back into the scene, along with the many other OG dinos.

Well, first off. Thank you for the new models, they look vastly superior to their current ones. The wolf has certainly a much adequate snout, could we get more pics from other angles? I need a clearer picture for it because the legs feel a bit off, though it could be angle thing. 

Being a Rex fan the new skull and overall model is fantastic, I really like this new version presented to us. I do wish you work on its roar sound a little bit more, giving more bass, something that feels heavier than the current version. The Rex's current roar feels more compatible to a midsize predator. 

My next favorite would be the Trike, I feel it should be bigger than it currently is, more proportional to the current Rex I would suggest. This is Ark after all and these animals are not exact carbon copies of their fossil counter parts (as intended by Ark's lore). Also, it is a crime for it not to have a charge ability as clearly it would be its strong suit, I would argue that the Trike could change from an early mount to a mid, even later tier one with the deadliest charge in game, I mean it has 3 horns and a protection around its neck, use it! :) Multi seat saddle would be a plus. 

Diplodocus, not really an animal I like to use, but for fans out there it must be really frustrating for it not to have the whip attack with its tail, the body structure of the animal simply does not favor head butting. I know you wanted something different from the other sauropods, but it still needs to work with its tail rather than its head. Its attack is breaking my immersion whenever I pass by one.

Spino, really not my thing (still like it though), but I know its one of the favorites out there, considering we have the Iguanodon which has the mechanic to change stances, it could be nice if the Spino could do the same I guess. I do know that your Spino is more accurate to the new fossil record than JP3 was at its time, but a lot of people are having a hard time letting it go, maybe something in between? The lore permits it. It should still be an all terrain mount rather than raw land power though.

Argentavis look certainly cool as Eagles, but when I am flying and the camera is behind it, I see a pigeon or a large box with sticks for legs flying around. Perhaps a more vertically nimble body? The problem is that it looks fine when Its standing, perhaps tweaking the flying animation so it won't be that stiff?

Quetzal, I really like the animation it has when I distribute a point, it stands tall. I wouldn't change how it looks, but maybe make it stay a bit more upright, or at least cycle that animation more often? Also, with its speed change I think the animation needs to be adjusted as well, now days it doesn't feel like the Quetzal can sustain itself in the air vs the number of times it is swinging its wings. Maybe toss a glide animation on it, I don't know. Its too slow for the current animation to work.

Someone stated on this thread to please update the head of the Plesio, I 100% agree with it!!!!! It needs to be revised ASAP. It is an awesome creature but its face looks really strange.

Megalosaurus was a game changer for me, I really loved it. Its sleeping animation made it feel really special, alive. It be nice if other animals could have more animations for the sake of it, not sure if there are technical implications, but its something I would like to see if possible for some creatures. No need to change skills based on day/night though, I find it too limiting for Megalosaurus as raids need to be kept short.

Finally, some animals such as the Sarco make egg collecting easy to miss, it would be nice if they moved their tails or the egg spawned a little more to one side than the other, so we can visually see if it has an egg or not from a greater distance.

Cheers!

The beelzebufo saddle looks a little strange and the frog would love some upgrades aswell! If its not too much the kapro should have more jagged, uneven tusks/teeth and a slight size increase. The Paraceratherium... just help it out please. The thylacoleos eyes are a little... much. The arthropleura could look a lil more menacing? Much love from papa! Keep it up guys, is there any chance there will be stat or mechanics TLC changes? If so I'd like the quetz to regain its ability to gain stam in the air. In my opinion it was hit hardest by the flyer nerf. It seems lack luster to me now with its awful speed. Its like the sky parasaur. 

9 hours ago, Steveetrnal said:
9 hours ago, PaleoJoe said:
[mention=95600]gaiainruin[/mention] The cave bear is meant to have a shortened face. That is what cave bears are known for, look up their skull.
[mention=420669]Steveetrnal[/mention] They are changing models, not colors. Changing up the colors would screw it up for a lot of players who breed dinosaurs.
[mention=2]Jatheish[/mention] You guys are on the right track! These old models just look so blocky and featureless. The new models give personality and style to them (this is not the excitement talking). You are making them more scientifically accurate, but with a cool or sci-fi twist, which is how it should be for an Ark game. Love it! I look forward to a great looking Stego with a nice bleed/slow ability as their thagomizers are known to break off and stick in a victim.

I was more suggesting the shapes and patterns, not colors. The colors are limited to the game anyways, just the patterns, shapes, and obviously the textures like the newer creatures.

My mistake. Thank you for the pictures then :Jerblove:. The Quetzalcoatlus is outdated. We now know it had a thick neck.

Phiomia: Prolly the worst looking dino in the whole game, and since they are common I see them a ton.

Spino: Horrible mesh and textures, these need a major overhaul.

Raptor: Those feathers are just horrible and as your "flag ship" dino it should look amazing.

Paracer: The textures are really really bad.

Parasaur: Models and textures both could use some work.

Trike: Same as above.

Sarco: the mesh is pretty sad looking.

Pteranodon: Please it looks horrible next to the nice Tapejara.

Basically any dino that was there at a minimum before the dire wolf was added could use alot of love, but really any dino that was in the release at 2015 is in need of a major overhaul mesh, texture and skills.

Megalosaurus' mouth could use a little touch up and become less narrow. The terror bird was 7 feet tall in most cases but is much smaller in Ark. It could use a general touch up aswell. The Carbonemys has an awkward shaped head and its legs need to be less to the sides. Its shell could change a tad too. Less smaller spikes maybe?  More like real snapping turtles? Raptors could use regional variants maybe? Onyc could be smaller and get a swarm/pack ability or ge larger a saddle+ small chance for megarabies. The Megalania is too similar to the moschops and should be more badass and slender. (Trying very hard to not suggest stat changes or abilities on my posts here)

4 hours ago, Promilie said:

- The Mammoth is one of those creatures I forget exists, because it's so ugly and strange that I never tame them. Although I don't personally like the strange double-tanged spiky tusks, I accept that ARK has its own art style and I appreciate that you stick to it. But the mammoth, like the bronto, looks like a toy. A more properly proportioned mammoth would be amazing.

And mammoth babies should not be born with fully grown tusks... they look way too painful for its mother, and triple the pain for triplets. :Jerbcry:

*How about fixing the wyverns and them non being able to land when you clearly have told them to? And when they land, land in the spot you tell them to. I shouldn't have to overshoot my target to land a dragon. Every other flyer in the game will drop out of the sky if you tell it to land. Also, console should have the ability to halt flying dinos in their tracks, just like on PC.

*Hit-boxes on babies needs to be addressed. You shouldnt need to be 2 foundations away from the tail of a baby dino to avoid being pushed around/blocked by it. 

*As i have always felt from their introduction to the game, wyvern eggs should have the ability to hatch with color mutations. I like that you implemented that with the drakes. After you get a few 190 eggs there really is no need to get more unless u are using them for war..popping with color mutations would make it worth going to the trenches to find more eggs. 

This TLC should be focused on the things that are wrong with mechanics as much as the aesthetic aspect of them as well..dont forget about that part 

I made a quick doodle to show how I'd like the raptor to be changed. Tail is longer and thicker, feathers are more in line with other feathered dinosaurs in the game while keeping them in the same place, head is less boxy and straight, the neck isn't absurdly chubby at the base of the head and not quite as curved upward. With updated texture detail and such of course, but the base body is the same.

arkraptor2.png

I swear...there are more people in this thread with time machines than I ever thought could be possible. I wish people would use them for better things than traveling millions of years back to look at dinosaurs, returning to correct video game developers on what the dinos actually looked like. xD

Seriously though, people take artistic luxuries when visually representing dinos...even scientists. I'd like to see dinos that look more realistic in a "they look alive" kind of way, not a "this is historically accurate" kind of way. I like the Rex, Ape, and Wolf, and I that direction is applied to a lot of the older animals. 

Anyway, I like the more polished skins and hope that more come...but what I would really like to see is improvement on movement. Not all creatures need it, but there are a few creatures that look have movement like GI Joe action figures from the 1970's. It becomes apparent in the older creatures the more new creatures are released, and I hope that's a focus in the TLC.

1 hour ago, PaladinKong said:

I want a Mammoth platform saddle. Its a large enough creature to realistically be able to support one.

YES!  I want the mitghty War-Mammoths!

actually Herbyvores need a massive reballancing in Speed and Special abilities.. since I thin the lack of diversity in raids is horrible... you only see a hand full of Carnivores and maybe Brontos.. Make the other Ones more Attractive. Bigger and faster. Tanky Ankylos with some nasty side effects with their punches (even if it´s only inflicting torpor), Trike with a Charge meter, faster Bronto, because it´s a pain even to move them over short distances and takes HOURS to reach a siege target.
At the Moment it just feels like you need to get certain Predators to challenge the wildlife. there is no room to develop you own style and stay competitive at the same time

Basically what everyone else is saying, touch up all of the early dinos. Not exactly an update to the creature but it does add much more usefulness, either a new saddle type for the Carbonemys that makes it a walking catapult, or just a platform saddle for it just big enough to put a catapult or a cannon onto. Make them some tiny tanks.

Here is my list of creatures that most urgently need a rework. While I’m focusing mostly on looks, I’ve put a few ideas for mechanics too:

Argent: this animal is in serious need of a remodel, perhaps more so than any other creature. While I like the fact it doesn’t have a long, naked vulture neck (the dossiers explanation is not only plausible, it makes sense), it’s face definitely needs some work. Birds pf prey (which is what Argentavis is) have a certain shrewdness in their eyes, the current Argent’s face just looks stupid and derpy imo. Plus it should soar instead of flapping its wings constantly (except maybe when sprinting).

Sarcosuchus: needs a LOT of new mechanics. Everyone else in this thread has pretty much summed up what this poor croc needs: deathroll, impervious to certain ranged weapons (i.e. non-compound bows, etc), but I’ll put in my 2 cents on its model. While the gharial-esqe snout the current model has is more accurate, I would prefer if you took some inspiration from the Sarcosuchus in the Jurassic World app game (lvls 1-30, NOT lvls 31-40). 

Parasaur: in major need of a remodel. Should be sleeker, some skin between the back of the neck and the crest, maybe a posture-changing mechanic similar to the Iguanodon (not entirely necessary imo, just an idea), and definitely some sexual dimorphism. At the very least males should have a longer crest, while females barely have a crest.

Titanoboa: while I always appreciate artistic license, this is just wrong. As its name suggests, Titanoboa is a boa, (aka python), and not a viper/cobra, as its frill and venomous bite suggest. While removing these features might be too hard, you guys could at least add a constricting attack (drains victims oxygen as well as health). It also needs to be sized up by a lot, maybe even made rideable? 

Spider: like many others have said, this guy is severely underwhelming. It should be able to climb walls/cliffs, breed, and like what some other people said earlier a grapple web attack. Another thing that would be cool is if spider did more damage when attacking other invertebrates (especially insects).

Pulmonoscorpius: I don’t have any new ideas as for what to do with this creature, like others have said it should be able to strafe, breed, attack while moving, deal more torpor, and also a grab attack where it can grab and sting smaller animals, i.e. humans.

Arthroplura: needs a MUCH farther range for its spit attack, make so it can only be tamed with enlightenment broth, but has a range comparable to plant species X.

Brontosaurus: needs better walking and running animations, instead of the derpy waddle it currently has. It should also have a stomp attack like the Titanosaurus.

Triceratops: needs a smoother walking and running animation, more like the Morallatops and less jerky. 

Quetzalcoatlus: I know I’m not the 1st to say this, but the Quetz should stand erect when it doesn’t have a platform saddle. I also think it should have brighter colors (like the dossier shows).

Liopluerodon: this creature was a bit of a disappointment when it came out. I wasn’t as hyped for it as some people, but it was still a letdown. I think you should leave it how it is, but make the current one an alpha or something (still tameable, like I said, keep it the same), but add a much more common version that doesn’t give the loot buff, is aggressive and a carnivore, and is a LOT better at combat. Maybe you could relace some of the Megalodon spawn points with Liopluerodon spawns.

Megalodon: needs to be less bulky, should look more like a great white. The swimming animation doesn’t need to be quite so exaggerated, it should have a few special attack, maybe get a damage buff when attacking injured prey, and it needs to be less common in the wild. In real ilfe you never see so many predators in one place. I know that’s one of the signs that the Ark is unnatural (Helena’s explorer notes on the Island), but the ocean is supposed to be desolate (exept for small fish). Since there’s not enough medium sized predators in the ocean, you guys have just thrown in a bunch of sharks, and it’s getting boring. Read my ideas about the Liopluerodon above.

Below are my opinions and constructive criticism on the teasers you showed us:

Tyrannosaurus: I have to say, while the new model is a MAJOR improvement, it’s not perfect. The head crest should be much less pronounced, the larges scutes on its body and the armor plating going down its back should be altogether removed, and its “palms” should be facing in towards each other, rather than facing the ground. (I know you guys choose design over realism, and I don’t mind, but I don’t see how pronated wrists look any cooler than realistic ones).

Bigfoot: I’m loving the new model. I like that its face is less human, I gotta say that I was hoping for more than just a remodel. Irl, Gigantopithecus was a giant orangutan, not a humanoid, but since you guys seem to going for more of a humanoid design anyways, I don’t mind the non-orangutan face.

Dire wolf: Out of the 3 models you’ve shown us, I liked this one the most. Like a lot of other people in this thread have already said, its legs need more fur and its face shouldn’t be permanently wrinkled in a snarl, but otherwise looks great! 

That sums up my 2 cents on the dino tlc, keep up the good work wildcard!

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived