Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hey everyone,

In our most recent crunch, we were able to give you a quick glance at the upcoming Dino TLC. We'd love to collect more visual specific feedback about our creatures, whether you think there are any which are in definite need of some TLC, as well as your thoughts on what you've seen so far! Keep in mind, they're still WIP and are subject to change. 

For those of you who hadn't seen the mention in the crunch, here's a recap:

Dino TLC Preview

large.TLCRex.jpg

Now that Aberration has been released the question on your mind might be: what's in-store next for ARK?

Today we're excited to share with you the first few images of our Dino TLC update that is currently being worked on. These images are still work-in-progress and are therefore subject to change before final release, but here are the updated Rex, Ape, and Dire Wolf models.

large.TLCApe.jpg

Studio Wildcard started out as a small studio and as we've progressed through ARKs development, we've grown tremendously! We've been able to bring on very talented animators and character artists to work on the project. 

You've seen some of their work in our more recent creatures and expansion packs, and now they'll be taking their abilities and showing some love to some of the original creatures we launched with. We're excited to see where these creatures go with the new advanced techniques and can't wait to show you how they turn out!

large.WolfTLC.jpg

So if you guys have any suggestions or creatures you think we should definitely take a look at, let us know here!

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updating models is always good, but enhancing functionality of old creatures would also be appreciated:

1. Pachy - needs rhino's charge gauge and ability to turn during charge.

2. Scorpions

3. Arthropluera - needs to get way less derpy in turret mode, faster rate of fire, faster projectile/longer range.

4. Araneos - need grappling hook ability by shooting a string of web (ARK needs its own Spider(wo)men!), ability to walk on ziplines both ways, maybe even ability to make temporal short zip line from grappling hook web (or instead of grappling hook web).

I would love to see Megalodons get some love.

Right now they get quickly outclassed by nearly any other water mounts (and some other land/sea hybrid mounts), and they don't look nearly as menacing as other sea creatures.

Suggestions for change: increased stamina, as it drains quite quickly and makes exploration very choppy.

Possibly a model size increase: Megalodons were the biggest sharks to ever live, a size increase seems warranted.

-The new Rex looks GREAT! I have some suggestions.
1.) The eyes should be more like the Yuty's or Allo's: more bird like, with round pupils!
2.) Remove the rocky scales on the sides of the body and legs. They look really ugly and don't add anything to the design
3.) Could we ditch the armor plating running down the neck/back? 
4.) Make sure the fenestrae (The openings of the skull) aren't too visible on the sides of its face. Smooth them out just a bit more
5.) Better walking/running animations and posture. Default standing posture should be like the Allosaur's, legs directly under the body. 
6.) If you make it able to roar while running/walking I will love you forever

For the other animals in the game
-I want Pteranodons to look more like real pteranodons. Fully fleshed out wings, fur on their bodies, proper headcrests, also they need some muscle! Their arms are way too shrinkwrapped and lack airsacks that real Pteranodons have. 

-Gigas need to be shrunk about 30%. They're way too big and I think nerfing their HP in the wild is a must to compensate. Smooth out the fenestrae on the sides of the head, and could we have more interesting color patterns on the body? 

-Spinos need a complete retexture. Smooth out the skull (no exposed fenestrae) more prominent nostrils/ear holes, ditch the extra fins on the elbows/behind the thighs/tail end. I'd like to see them switch between bipedal and quadrapedal postures. Bipedal posture would enable it to use its powerful arms. A claw attack would be wicked!

-Plesiosaur models are pretty decent but dear God, THEY NEED NEW HEADS! Real plesiosaur heads looked badass.

-Raptor models need better proportions. You could fully feather them up with proper wings like real raptors or make them scaly all Jurassic-Park style it doesn't bother me much.

-Sarco model is awful. Could use a new model altogether and animations. Deathroll ability please? 

-Titanoboa model is okay but ditch the frill and could be made a lil' bigger? I'd honestly just call rename them "Titanoviper" because they're venomous, unlike boas which are constrictor snakes

-Ankylosaurs could be made less spikey, and increased in size by 50%

-Trikes could use a newer better proportioned model, made larger by 25% and be WAY more formidable. A Triceratops should be a very dangerous mount, even for a rider on a T. rex

-Stego models have good proportions but I think the head could use a lil' TLC, maybe update the textures. I'd personally love it if you guys redid the plates to be more like the real Stegosaurus. That was always my favorite aspect of them.

-Brontos could use updated textures as well as walking "sprinting" animation. A stomp attack with its front legs would be cool.

-Mammoths could use slightly reworked textures and should be one pair of tusks that curve upward

That's all I got. Thank you for updating the Rex model. I was so sick of its oversized head. It's gonna look badass in game!

I've always hoped Megaloceros would get an update. Though their original model is fairly good, it simply doesn't capture the sense of majesty that washes over you when you see an Elk or Red Deer in the wild.

fRxIR3YDownsize.thumb.jpg.389e54a63976047cced7ec81f5e15496.jpg

346542Downsize.thumb.jpg.f131d27fb16a0e8121addefcd110aa57.jpg

Since these are the most similar still living creatures in terms of size and build, I think that's a shame. As long as you guys are doing this anyway, I'd love to see you work some magic on these awesome creatures. <3

The dire wolf... his face as a whole looks rather cartoonish and big bad wolf like. I’d go for a more real look, smaller eyes, not so bright yellow on the eyes, more dim gold. More bushy fur, like the sloth but more groomed. Maybe even have the fur on his back stand up when other wolfs are around, and I do agree on the naked legs. He should be bushy, head to toe. 

Spoiler

I think it'd be pretty cool if Spinos were given an ability similar to iguanodons so they could stand up and have increased attack but decreased speed or something of the sorts. I think, sadly, Spinos just aren't that interesting in the game currently. I hope they can get a nice TLC pass to bring them up at least a little.

Decided to add onto my original post (spoiler above) and talk about a few more dinosaurs that I think could get a TLC pass. This will be a combination of my own ideas and some other ideas found in the thread (I've been enjoying reading through people's ideas)

Araneo - Starting off with a creature that gets very little love, the Spider. I believe, with the addition of Aberration, the spider should get a natural Zip Line it can plate for itself and rider. This would work like the normal Zip Line but may degrade overtime.

Archaeopteryx - I think, instead of holding it over your head and looking kind of silly, it should hang onto your back until you need to use it as a 'parachute'. I think it'd just look better.

Argentavis - New Model. Honestly, I like how it looks in the Dossier, but the in game model isn't that great and this old bird could use a very nice TLC pass.

Bronto - I don't see this dino much, as I've not seen much of a use for it (for myself, playing solo), but a small pass I'd like to see is some kind of saddle update that puts a small saddle higher on the neck to give the 'driver' a better view and not have the weird massive saddle it currently has, also adding this to the platform saddle. (I'm not sure I explained this very well...)

Carno - This lovely little derp deserves some TLC, I think it could get the Rhino's charge mechanic with extra knock back as it speeds up, also a nice new model. (I think most Theropods deserve a slight update to their stances)

Dilophosaur - While I like the Jurassic Park Reference, even in that movie that wasn't the full size (and I mean in the universe of Jurassic Park, that wasn't an adult Dilo) so I think a larger Dilo would be nice, retain the frill and spit attack, but make it big enough to ride at least, maybe? Maybe even make it a sexual dimorphism thing where one is bigger than the other.

Diplodocus - I think it should get two attacks, retain the normal head push and add an actual tail whip that does damage.

Direwolf - Legs definitely need fur, and I'd like to see the face a little less snarly, but otherwise excellent.

Leopleurodon - PLEASE make a -normal- version that does not have the 'magic' ability so that we can tame them and have them. Also, possibly reduce Megalodon spawns a little and let the Leos be a bit more common for the 'medium water dino' spot.

Megaloceros - I believe, at least for the females, an 'armor' should be introduced to give them a use. It wouldn't give them a lot of use, but people would look a lot cooler with the lance on it. Also, the model could be made a bit more majestic in my opinion, bring their head up slightly and make it look like they're somewhat puffing up their chests.

Onyc - Give them a hanging stance so they can hang onto either roofs or have a special perch you can set right under a roof to let them hang on, it must be stressful having to fly 24/7... poor little guys.

Pachy - These guys really need some TLC, I mean, they're practically useless. Again, like the Carno, they should get a charge attack but instead of more damage (Rhino) or more pushback (suggested Carno) it'd add more torpor the longer you'd been charging. Also, I believe they should get a size boost. Make them more menacing that way.

Parasaur - I'd like to see these guys get a 'Whistle Boost' ability that would increase the range of all whistles from the rider.

Ptera - I think it should get a slight TLC pass, make it look a bit nicer.

Scorpion - Let it grab smaller creatures, Dodo size about, and carry them around.

Quetz - Have them stand tall, like in their dossier, when not equipped with a platform saddle, otherwise giving them the platform makes them 'lie down'.

Raptor - I think they could be remodeled to be more like the cover art, or like the art from someone in this very post (This nice art from Promilie)

Sarcosuchus - Like others have said in this thread, this guy needs a TLC pass.

Spinosaurus - In my original post I said that I'd like to see it gain the same ability as Iguanodons, as in letting them switch between Quadrupedal movement and Bipedal movement. In Quadrupedal mode it'd probably run a bit faster and do a little less damage and in Bipedal it'd be a little slower but do more damage.

Terror bird - I think they need to stand a little taller, be a bit more proud of being the TERROR Bird.

Triceratops - They could probably use with a slight size increase.

Thus concludes my silly comment. Hope everything was clear enough and that my ideas weren't too outlandish for everyone.

I honestly think most of the original creatures need to be redone not just visually but their abilities too. Definitely the raptor, Dire/polar bear, baryonyx, spino, trike, pachy, argentavis, megalodon, plesiosaur,anklyo,arneo,Carno, dilo,ichthysaurus,kapro,sarco like I said mostly all the creatures. Picking and choosing would be a mistake imo give all the creatures the attention to detail they deserve. This is my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Nyrang said:

I think it'd be pretty cool if Spinos were given an ability similar to iguanodons so they could stand up and have increased attack but decreased speed or something of the sorts. I think, sadly, Spinos just aren't that interesting in the game currently. I hope they can get a nice TLC pass to bring them up at least a little.

^ This would be amazing. End all posture arguments forever!

Plus, since Spinos are supposed to be amphibious Apex Predators, I'd love to see their ability to traverse water given an overhaul. Would be cool if they had a unique swimming animation, perhaps some unique underwater attacks, and maybe the ability to walk along the bottom of deep water bodies like crocodiles do IRL. If they are truly to take their place alongside the game's other Apex predators, they need some love and attention. (Especially in terms of stats.)

Quetzal is another one I'd love to see re-touched. For me personally, a more vibrant/tropical color-scheme and a rework to where they assume their Dossier Stance (upright) at all times unless you place a Platform Saddle on them in which case they stoop down like they currently are. That alone would make them feel more imposing/epic. I remember when I first tamed one it felt so awesome to have a flier that actually made the ground shake because it was so large, but I was also deeply disappointed that they were hunched over for the sake of a niche feature. (Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be critical of Platform Saddles, I know they took a tremendous amount of effort on your part and it's a really awesome feature to be sure.)

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

4. Araneos - need grappling hook ability by shooting a string of web (ARK needs its own Spider(wo)men!), ability to walk on ziplines both ways, maybe even ability to make temporal short zip line from grappling hook web (or instead of grappling hook web).

this sounds almost like it could be possible the way ziplines work in aberration ^

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived