Rolling Rats:) Wrong Material reduction

Jinxy

Hello Survivors, after enjoying abberation, I managed to tame a high level Roll rat. and I was kinda blasted away by the saddle cost. 425 Metal ingots, 85 Cementing paste, and a bit of hide, gems and what else.

I find it a bit disturbing how fast the saddle degrades for the amount it costs. After using it for less than an hour, the saddle durability has almost broke and that would be fine, if the roll rat had anything else to him then the roll ability, beside wood collection (Where he doesn't even get a weight reduction for) there is not much to him, mine currently does 135 ish damage per bite, the turning radius is really annoying the first 10 seconds and he is slow when not rolling. So all in all, the roll rat's only ability is the roll, but he gets crippled by a saddle that breaks upon using it which is such a harsh thing. Ontop of it sliding for another 10 meters ahead when you stop rolling possible sliding in the water/off a cliff.

My suggestion: - Give Roll Rat wood weight reduction
                            - Remove the durability on the saddle OR Only take damage if you destroy a rock/tree whilst rolling
                            - Lower the repair or initial cost of the saddle

This would balance out the roll rat a bit more IMO.

I'd love to hear feedback of the community ofcourse and what others have as experience with the roll rat.

After it just breaking I noticed you just get thrown off of your saddle and your dino is saddle-less when the durability hits 0. The cost to repair it:

- 43 Cementing paste
- 75 Fiber
- 23 Green gems
- 135 Hide
- 213 Metal ingots 

This is the cost after having the saddle for less than 24 hours upon using double the repair cost to craft one.

I really think the saddle is too overpriced for the amount you can get out of it and the negative aspects of it. Every other saddle doesn't get damaged by fighting, why should this one be damaged by moving.                                                  

37 minutes ago, HoganRyan01 said:

Why are you whining about the weight reduction? I'm sure most of us have played back before Castoroides were a thing.. Mammoths were the best at getting wood and they didn't have a wood weight reduction.. No one complained about the Mammoth other than the fact that it has slow attacks.

I'm not whining, I am stating my feedback on how to make the Roll rat more useful. If you think people can't state their feedback on a dino then don't come on a forum. Also, why is it your concern whether or not the roll rat would get a wood reduction. If you're fine with how it is, then why complain if it would get better, it wouldn't break the game.

4 hours ago, BloodyHarvest said:

My suggestion: - Give Roll Rat wood weight reduction
                            - Remove the durability on the saddle OR Only take damage if you destroy a rock/tree whilst rolling
                            - Lower the repair or initial cost of the saddle

Solutions: 100% weight reduction for all materials.

No durability for the saddle it lasts forever.

Make them free/no materials to make.

There, "That was EASY"

EASY small.gif

Here’s how you could easily solve this problem: When rolling, the saddle still loses durability, but upon breaking, only the metal canopy breaks, so you can still ride the rat, but you can’t roll, or the rider and passengers take massive damage when rolling.

The metal canopy could even be a separate engram that costs like 2-5 engram points, and requires you to have the saddle itself already unlocked. This way, you could potentially get higher quality canopies that last longer, and you can still have the cheap normal saddle without it (In the rat dossier, you can see the back of a roll rat being ridden without the canopy, so it being a separate item would make sense) The canopy would take up the majority of the metal cost of the saddle, and works like a skin. When it breaks, you are just left with the regular saddle (albeit with less armor) and you can still use the rat for gathering, but you can’t use its roll attack as a quick getaway when ambushed by Ravagers. And maybe the canopy can be deployed even when not rolling as a shield, but it can’t sprint or something while the shield is deployed to balance it.

In addition to that, the Roll Rat definitely needs a weight reduction (even if it was only a small one) for wood, and maybe gems. And maybe it can be buried like a purlovia, basilisk, or reaper, except it can’t jump out and attack. Also, if it isn’t already, give it immunity to radiation sickness. Real-life naked mole rats are essentially immune to cancer, and I don’t think it would be much of a stretch to give the Roll Rat radiation poisoning immunity, considering some of ARK’s other logic (how the heck does the ptera fly?!?) This would make it useful as a mount for the Elemental Chambers, as it’s a tank that can quickly get out of a fight if it gets bad via rolling, and  it could be used as a siege weapon (just have several canopies in the rat’s inventory and you’re good to go)

Although, keep in mind that according to the dossier, the Roll Rat is meant as a transport (like a smaller, armored diplo) and not a powerful war beast like the rex. If anything, it can be used as a siege weapon, but not for killing enemy dinos, for busting holes in enemy walls or as a distraction (a roll rat goes charging towards a base followed by stegos, distracting the residents for a while, while a basilisk rider approaches the other side, with enough C4 to blow a hole in the wall, big enough the actual attack force can just stroll right in)

But that’s just my 2 cents. I REALLY like Roll rats, so much I’m considering making my first singleplayer breeding farm in aberration dedicated to them, so I hope that they don’t become obsolete and somewhat useless.

4 hours ago, Palenor said:

Solutions: 100% weight reduction for all materials.

No durability for the saddle it lasts forever.

Make them free/no materials to make.

There, "That was EASY"

EASY small.gif

Useless post, does't contribute to the game and/or thread and completely mistook my intentions.

1 hour ago, RowletAlex said:

Here’s how you could easily solve this problem: When rolling, the saddle still loses durability, but upon breaking, only the metal canopy breaks, so you can still ride the rat, but you can’t roll, or the rider and passengers take massive damage when rolling.

The metal canopy could even be a separate engram that costs like 2-5 engram points, and requires you to have the saddle itself already unlocked. This way, you could potentially get higher quality canopies that last longer, and you can still have the cheap normal saddle without it (In the rat dossier, you can see the back of a roll rat being ridden without the canopy, so it being a separate item would make sense) The canopy would take up the majority of the metal cost of the saddle, and works like a skin. When it breaks, you are just left with the regular saddle (albeit with less armor) and you can still use the rat for gathering, but you can’t use its roll attack as a quick getaway when ambushed by Ravagers. And maybe the canopy can be deployed even when not rolling as a shield, but it can’t sprint or something while the shield is deployed to balance it.

In addition to that, the Roll Rat definitely needs a weight reduction (even if it was only a small one) for wood, and maybe gems. And maybe it can be buried like a purlovia, basilisk, or reaper, except it can’t jump out and attack. Also, if it isn’t already, give it immunity to radiation sickness. Real-life naked mole rats are essentially immune to cancer, and I don’t think it would be much of a stretch to give the Roll Rat radiation poisoning immunity, considering some of ARK’s other logic (how the heck does the ptera fly?!?) This would make it useful as a mount for the Elemental Chambers, as it’s a tank that can quickly get out of a fight if it gets bad via rolling, and  it could be used as a siege weapon (just have several canopies in the rat’s inventory and you’re good to go)

Although, keep in mind that according to the dossier, the Roll Rat is meant as a transport (like a smaller, armored diplo) and not a powerful war beast like the rex. If anything, it can be used as a siege weapon, but not for killing enemy dinos, for busting holes in enemy walls or as a distraction (a roll rat goes charging towards a base followed by stegos, distracting the residents for a while, while a basilisk rider approaches the other side, with enough C4 to blow a hole in the wall, big enough the actual attack force can just stroll right in)

But that’s just my 2 cents. I REALLY like Roll rats, so much I’m considering making my first singleplayer breeding farm in aberration dedicated to them, so I hope that they don’t become obsolete and somewhat useless.

I actually thought of that too, what if just the canopy breaks and you are left with the normal saddle till it gets repaired? Good post in any case, glad someone put some effort and actual input on it. 

4 hours ago, RowletAlex said:

Solid idea. This one needs to be at the top of the list when in comes to rat balance...but I'm worried it will just get drowned out by people complaining about carry weight.

25 minutes ago, Moonie1 said:

Wait, what?!?! Saddles have durability? Since when? Is this an isolated case, or have I never noticed and never had to repair a saddle prior??!

The Roll Rat is the only one I've seen, and it's due to the roll. Throughout early access I always assumed saddles would eventually take durability damage via a pre-release patch. Frankly, I liked the idea of saddle durability...but I can only imagine the absolute hell that would break loose on the forums if that were implemented. Especially at this point.

3 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Solid idea. This one needs to be at the top of the list when in comes to rat balance...but I'm worried it will just get drowned out by people complaining about carry weight.

The Roll Rat is the only one I've seen, and it's due to the roll. Throughout early access I always assumed saddles would eventually take durability damage via a pre-release patch. Frankly, I liked the idea of saddle durability...but I can only imagine the absolute hell that would break loose on the forums if that were implemented. Especially at this point.

Saddles with durability? Wildcard wouldn't do that... They can't... Just look at this sad Jerboa: :Jerbcry:

Archived