Christmas event?

Grandta

8 hours ago, GP said:

Back in EA a lot of people constantly complained every single event, Valentine, Halloween, ThanksGiving, Christmas that they were being forced to experience the event on single player and private servers and demanded all events be optional. So many complained about it because they were all like bah humbug and the grinch.

How do you make an event optional? I suspect it's very difficult to do. So now single player has no option to experience the events, private servers are semi reliant on their hosts, and official servers all get the event and then so many official server players are grateful for it by complaining constantly that they don't have 3x breeding event.

I'm not saying this is why it was changed from client-side to server-side events, but people constantly make a fuss about the stupidest things and when they get things the way they want other people suffer.

I suspect that it is not too difficult to include all events' assets in client and server and make them accessible by a server launch parameter that is then communicated to client (akin to the list of active mods) - optional for server owners and doesnt need certification every time for consoles while still maintaining both server and client-side quality of events.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Zederia said:

nothing from the events are available. they are ALL removed from the base game. just try to spawn any in via admin command. they won't come

I wonder why they were removed completly from the base game ? Its kinda annoying that not only does unofficial console not get the event but we also cant spawn in these items from past events even with admin commands. Am curious if theres a sensible reason.

3 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

some of the early events featured free Steam game codes for ARK and i guess they dont want them anymore.

Free steam game codes ? Do you mean like codes to download the game from steam ? How would that impact on assets in game. ? I just wanted to spawn in a Christmas tree :D

Are they common, rare, really rare?

I ask this because I play on my own unofficial server. The server was updated to put in the holiday event, a "destroyallwilddinos" command was done, yet since the server has loaded up on new spawns I have yet to come across anything that looks like it has Christmas colors. Is it a case of I need to keep hunting, or could the server not have taken the event and I need to update it again?

10 hours ago, edandbunny said:

Are they common, rare, really rare?

I ask this because I play on my own unofficial server. The server was updated to put in the holiday event, a "destroyallwilddinos" command was done, yet since the server has loaded up on new spawns I have yet to come across anything that looks like it has Christmas colors. Is it a case of I need to keep hunting, or could the server not have taken the event and I need to update it again?

What platform and what kind of unofficial server is it ? Is the event actually available and active for your server ?

The dinos are rare. The chances of a dino being Christmas coloured is 5% so fairly rare but I have seen plenty of them on my Abberation map.

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

What platform and what kind of unofficial server is it ? Is the event actually available and active for your server ?

The dinos are rare. The chances of a dino being Christmas coloured is 5% so fairly rare but I have seen plenty of them on my Abberation map.

PC and the server is through Survival servers. I havnt seen any on our Rag map. I might have to wait till tomorrow and send a ticket to our host company and ask.

1 hour ago, edandbunny said:

PC and the server is through Survival servers. I havnt seen any on our Rag map. I might have to wait till tomorrow and send a ticket to our host company and ask.

Unfortunately I cant really say then :( I have my Xbox Raganarok and Aberation servers with Nitrado and the event is operational on there.

There are a few other things you can check for the event. Do you get the special message which starts at 12am and finishes at 5am (ingame time) telling you to go find present (give lioplearodon buff aswell during that time), wishing you a happy  Christmas and a happy new year ? Also worth checking wild hat wearable dinos for Christmas hats ? Worth probably checking out the Jerboas in the south for that for example. If the Jerboas (or other similiar dinos) are not wearing the santa hats probably means the event isnt active.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:35 AM, GP said:

I'm not saying this is why it was changed from client-side to server-side events, but people constantly make a fuss about the stupidest things and when they get things the way they want other people suffer.

Just going to say, when the game is long dead whenever that day is, and i want to come back to it for whatever reason an option in the options to enable holiday events is too much to ask for?

If it was there it shouldn't be hard to re-implement? check yes i want holiday events, check off means no i do not want holiday events... i don't see how this is even an issue up for argument. :(

Sorry to the coder but idk if i WAS playing single player i would still want to enjoy the events like everyone else and could still participate on the forums with images, even if they called said dino in. (whether they do or dont its sp i always think they did, thats y i play official)

Singleplayer people can just run a server through ASM, activate event and play it.

My only issue with Christmas event was the lack of the winter wonderland, the island's winter  theme, was nice to see, but I understand they been busy and its not something you do over 2 days since Aberration release, many things changed since last year that needed manual patching, even rendering changes for fps. With raptor claus and holidays delight mod  you get the decorations and raptor claus that flies around dropping gifts so its bearable :D 

18 hours ago, Xenithar said:

So how do we disable this event? Aside from removing the beta branch, that is.

I was ready for it this time after the Halloween event. I took a full folder level backup of the servers before I updated to the beta branch. I've just restored the backup of the pre-event state and copied the new save files only (from during the event) back over, removed the beta branch addition in the update line and restarted the servers.

However if you don't have this folder level backup then it's basically a re-install of the servers and restore the save files (as I had to do with all of my servers for the Halloween event). Not a fun job, but the only way to get rid of the event cleanly.

4 minutes ago, 20GT said:

Hey guys I can't complain I found my first Mastercraft blueprint during this event. 

I'm now the proud owner of a Mastercraft Torch Blueprint. :/

I actually woundnt mind an MC torch BP. Would be great for making torches to go on all my saddled dinos.

I havent had much luck on Abberation mostly seems to be glow sticks.

Archived