Solo play on aberration

SmokeyB

Yeah so mostly on official maps I play geurilla warfare style , hidden bases and stashed pteras . It's fun and I can do anything without fear of being wiped. 

But on aberration there are no flyers . Yeah ok so get a land mount , but none of the land mounts can climb excpt very end game rock drakes. This means no hidden base as I need to be on ground level to use my tame . So all the high cliffs are useless. Plus to get metal i need a strong mount to go into that blue area. So I am left either building on ground level with everyone else with my base visable and in danger or building up high out the way but not being able to have tames. 

The map is not that big especially for 70 people, no where to hide with metal and land access that doesn't have people running past all the time . What is a solo PvP er to do ? 

nearly every rock on this map gives metal. just walk a bit. there are high areas with rich metalnodes. if you don't want to climb, go to the north east corner of the "green" biome, there are at least 3 rich iron nodes. ;)

move around trees and get lootdrops, you can get good stuff very early in those - everything else is just a preference of play-style.

You can harvest small roundish brownish rocks and get some metal out of them. There is a metal node near a river and waterfall at 33.8/61.8. I have a place near there and I've been harvesting it by hand.

Also, there are a few mounts that can jump. I'm riding around an Iguanodon and found out that it can jump higher than I can. They have two modes of walking, on four or two. If they're on four they don't use stamina and are faster. If they're on two then they can jump and fight. On PC, you change this with a right-click. They also seem to be able to fall a good distance without getting hurt. Ravagers and those giant crab-like creatures also jump. Raptors do, too.

Zip lines my friends. Get down to resources and ravager can climb ziplines back up. Also crabs can grab doedicarus and anky so you can do real grinding runs. Crabs can jump about 100 ft so getting around isn't to bad and is kinda fun. Solo crab runs is easier than solo quetz but duo crab is harder than duo quetz because crab hold so close to ground it releases second player when it bumps into stuff. 

Non of you are getting it. Yeah there's metal in the blue zone , yeah ravengers can climb zip lines but what I'm saying is I want a hidden base up high away from the beaten track where no one will pass by . But there is no way to build a hidden base up high and still be able to get metal from the blue zone as that place is dangerous and I need a good mount to go there.  Non of the mounts that are strong enough to go the blue zone and get metal can climb , so i cant keep them in a hidden base . This means i need a base on ground level which puts me at the mercy of trolls and bigger tribes . You see the problem ? 

14 hours ago, ShinigamiGreed said:

Almost every rock in the biolumin zone (the ones with blue cracks) have a ton of metal in them. 

16 hours ago, m0t0r said:

nearly every rock on this map gives metal. just walk a bit. there are high areas with rich metalnodes. if you don't want to climb, go to the north east corner of the "green" biome, there are at least 3 rich iron nodes. ;)

move around trees and get lootdrops, you can get good stuff very early in those - everything else is just a preference of play-style.

12 hours ago, GregoPeck said:

You can harvest small roundish brownish rocks and get some metal out of them. There is a metal node near a river and waterfall at 33.8/61.8. I have a place near there and I've been harvesting it by hand.

Also, there are a few mounts that can jump. I'm riding around an Iguanodon and found out that it can jump higher than I can. They have two modes of walking, on four or two. If they're on four they don't use stamina and are faster. If they're on two then they can jump and fight. On PC, you change this with a right-click. They also seem to be able to fall a good distance without getting hurt. Ravagers and those giant crab-like creatures also jump. Raptors do, too.

4 hours ago, Olivar said:

Ravagers and Ziplines.

You can put ziplines anywhere and ravagers can climb them and have half weight on resources.

Having a zip line going to your base is a bit of a give away to your location. I want to stay hidden. Plus if my ravenger can climb up it so can everyone else's .

44 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Non of you are getting it. Yeah there's metal in the blue zone , yeah ravengers can climb zip lines but what I'm saying is I want a hidden base up high away from the beaten track where no one will pass by . But there is no way to build a hidden base up high and still be able to get metal from the blue zone as that place is dangerous and I need a good mount to go there.  Non of the mounts that are strong enough to go the blue zone and get metal can climb , so i cant keep them in a hidden base . This means i need a base on ground level which puts me at the mercy of trolls and bigger tribes . You see the problem ? 

again: there is plenty of metal in the "green" zone, the safe zone, the whatever you wanna call it zone. there is even metal in the starting zone around the portal spawn.... just grind rocks until you get a metal pick and youre done.

• Volunteer Moderator

Am I the only one that has used the climbing picks?  You can climb to all kinds of places that bascially only another person using climbing picks or a rock drake could get to.

Also, there are some nice metal nodes right above the blue zone, just to the right of the waterfall; about 6 to 10.  

I have a base on the left side of the falls, a bridge over the river, and do quick mining runs right there; also the purple and the yellow plants can give up rare flowers.   The Spinos and Crabs mostly stay in the river, though some do wander into that area, and sometimes ravagers or raptors, but then again, they show up just about anywhere on the map.  Also, don't fight crabs from smaller mount, as you will find yourself on the wrong side of a crab claw.

There is also a path farthter left of that area(as you are facing off the overlook), and some metal down that path.  Gets a little more dangerous, but if you get some ravagers, a pack trip should handle most of the what is there.

And, don't forget about the glowing pets; they are in the game for a reason.

As for ziplines, I have not used them myself yet, but can they be removed?  That is, you put up a zipline, move your ravagers up/down, and remove it.

@Jerryn : We use them as well, but they break so fast they're useless in reaching several locations on the map. And actually quite deadly in certain places.

@m0t0r : The problem Smokey is addressing is not the lack of resources. It's the inability to create hidden bases on Aberration due the constraints placed upon us. You either need to build on the land near water sources to have an adequate supply, forcing you to deal with all hassle and dangers from dino's and people, or you build somewhere out of sight, forcing you to deal with the climb mechanics and out of reach from resources. There's no middle ground.

And I'm inclined to agree with Smokey on this.
The only reason I've build a base open in plain sight is because I'm on my own server.
But on PvP servers this is a death-trap, since everyone can see it and attack you openly, yet you have no choice if you want to survive on this map or have good access to all required resources. Not to mention we've built inside the bio-luminescense zone, making it very lethal without light-pets or plant Z around the base.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Olivar said:

@Jerryn : We use them as well, but they break so fast they're useless in reaching several locations on the map. And actually quite deadly in certain places.

@m0t0r : The problem Smokey is addressing is not the lack of resources. It's the inability to create hidden bases on Aberration due the constraints placed upon us. You either need to build on the land near water sources to have an adequate supply, forcing you to deal with all hassle and dangers from dino's and people, or you build somewhere out of sight, forcing you to deal with the climb mechanics and out of reach from resources. There's no middle ground.

And I'm inclined to agree with Smokey on this.
The only reason I've build a base open in plain sight is because I'm on my own server.
But on PvP servers this is a death-trap, since everyone can see it and attack you openly, yet you have no choice if you want to survive on this map or have good access to all required resources. Not to mention we've built inside the bio-luminescense zone, making it very lethal without light-pets or plant Z around the base.

They do break quickly, so you have to plan your route and carry plenty of spares.  I have personally climbed up to the barrier trying to get ot the surface that way.  But, the point being, you can get to some interesting spots that no one is just going to casually wander by.

As for resources, the only one that I think is hard to find is obsidian.  Blue and Green gems are easy, and you can get red with paitence.  Organic poly is there, especially with low level crabs.

I think the change in the PVP dynamic is a pretty interesting and there will need to be some adaptation to how you survive, thrive, and PVP.  You could even build some good decoy bases, in hard to reach spot, using heavy turrets(once you get to that level).  Places where there is no bringing, by air or land, carbys or stegos for bullet draining.

It's not vastly different from other pvp maps, in ark you really need to be in a decent size tribe. Gorilla warfare works for awhile until one of the many people in an alpha happens to wander across it in their travels as they dominate the server uncontested, then it's gone in an instant. The only way to get around this, especially on this map, is by NOT being solo. Unfortunately that's just the way the game works

Archived