What sounds more appealing, DLC or Game modes like SOTF(Battle Royal)?

CrackerJackx13

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal opinion: 

More DLC/Map extensions to keep pushing the story forward. I'm not a fan of things like a battle royal / survival of the fittest.
Mainly because I don't feel like competing against people in a game. I rather fight against the game instead.
That being said, I think they still need to resolve quite a lot of issues before the game can be even be considered stable to be used as a battleground.

26 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Personal opinion: 

More DLC/Map extensions to keep pushing the story forward. I'm not a fan of things like a battle royal / survival of the fittest.
Mainly because I don't feel like competing against people in a game. I rather fight against the game instead.
That being said, I think they still need to resolve quite a lot of issues before the game can be even be considered stable to be used as a battleground.

good points but if you look at the overall sucess of battle royal games/revenue generated(fortnite, Player unknown battlegrounds, etc) , the model of such a design game or a game feature would bring in a higher player base/ generate more revenue. thank you for your opinion!

The difference being this is Ark, and not Fortnite, Player Unknown etc.
I think they should focus on what the game is about : Surviving in a artificial environment, dealing with the end of Earth, the overseer and dinosaurs.

While it can be placed inside the context of survival, a full-out battle royal goes against the intended purposes of forcing humans to become homo-deus.
The losses sustained through a battleground far outweigh the gains, and most likely do not even trigger the desired traits needed to evolve humans.
Heck, war and battles are probably what brought the human extinction in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Olivar said:

I think they should focus on what the game is about : Surviving in a artificial environment, dealing with the end of Earth, the overseer and dinosaurs.

While it can be placed inside the context of survival, a full-out battle royal goes against the intended purposes of forcing humans to become homo-deus.
The losses sustained through a battleground far outweigh the gains, and most likely do not even trigger the desired traits needed to evolve humans.
Heck, war and battles are probably what brought the human extinction in the first place.

thank you for your opinion!

Personally, I play only PvE because I am not good at PvP games (call me old, that's fine).  I cannot compete with others but I CAN compete with AI.  I would much rather get DLC and new maps so I can continue to experience new areas to play on and explore.  My tribemate and I prefer being ARKitects anyways, so I would much rather have new maps and building materials so we can continue to make bigger and better things.

What I think would work really well would be a game mode similar-ish to Survival of the Fittest  where you play on a full sized map. But there are only 3 tribes at war with each other. When you join the server you are placed or choose to be in one of those 3 tribes. Give winning objectives like collect all the artefacts and place them in your team colour obelisk or first to ascend etc... After a winner is declared - reset the server.

11 hours ago, Olivar said:

I totally get what you're saying, but Survival of the Fittest wouldn't be canon. I agree with you on the continuation of Ark's story, and I'd love to see more DLC, but I'd also like things like SOTF and Primal Survival to be official mods for the game.

14 hours ago, Olivar said:

Personal opinion: 

While I agree, I loved SOTF and it actually ran flawlessly on a few Unofficial servers I used to play on... That being said, the only time I ever won was when my son got us the win. Lol.

13 hours ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

good points but if you look at the overall sucess of battle royal games/revenue generated(fortnite, Player unknown battlegrounds, etc) , the model of such a design game or a game feature would bring in a higher player base/ generate more revenue. thank you for your opinion!

2 hours ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

it is fun, ark did it first though. 

2 hours ago, SirDropbear said:

SOTF for the win! Such a fun and unique way to play Ark, would be a killer on the console.

Sorry to tell the rest of you, but SOTF is dead, the Devs couldn't attract enough people to it when it was around and they have already confirmed it shall stay buried.

Also they didn't do anything first... Battle Royal style PVP has been around for decades and has always been popular.  

8 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Sorry to tell the rest of you, but SOTF is dead, the Devs couldn't attract enough people to it when it was around and they have already confirmed it shall stay buried.

Oh? I hadn't heard.... Did they say they won't pick it up again? Such a shame... I had so hoped to see it become an e-sport :P Loved to watch it so much!

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, Kimsie said:

Oh? I hadn't heard.... Did they say they won't pick it up again? Such a shame... I had so hoped to see it become an e-sport :P Loved to watch it so much!

Yeah I don’t see why they can’t revisit the idea in the future. SOTF was only made available on PC and console players never had the opportunity to play it.

They would need to look at the current active players upon all 3 platforms before completely burying it. And with the rise of battle royale style PvP upon console players it would be a missed opportunity in my eyes.

Those who stick to PvE may still want to engage in PvP through this game mode exclusively.

3 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Yeah I don’t see why they can’t revisit the idea in the future. SOTF was only made available on PC and console players never had the opportunity to play it.

They would need to look at the current active players upon all 3 platforms before completely burying it. And with the rise of battle royale style PvP upon console players it would be a missed opportunity in my eyes.

Those who stick to PvE may still want to engage in PvP through this game mode exclusively.

I agree! I had only heard that they shelved it for the time being but I've missed any news regarding it's permanent abandonnement. PUBG recently hit 25 million sales and sensationally managed to beat DotA 2 as the game with the most concurrent players on Steam. Fortnite Battle Royale is on the rise as well so bad the servers can't handle the pressure... I really agree it would be a missed opportunity as they have so much knowledge from the previous development of SotF to build on!

1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

This is pretty much me here. Wish SOTF could come to consoles. I would love to do some PvP, but Ark requires to much time and effort to be put in to be making PvP fun even in unofficials. I dont want my stuff steam rolled constantly and I honestly couldnt wipe out other peoples hard work either just for fun considering the amount of time and effort involved. SOTF would be awesome, I could put in minimum effort and I could PvP all day. I mean games take what about an hour ? Not going to worry about 'losing' and hours work of game play.

Getting back to OPs topic I think I would prefer more DLCs to develop the base game (especially from a PvE stand point) rather than other gamemodes, SOTF would be the exception to that rule for me. Am having an absolute blast on Abberation at the moment, and I would look forward for more. I never really understood the hype around primal survival. I mean I know it would be fun to run around as your favourite dino (who wouldnt have fun with that ?) but I would think it would get pretty boring pretty quickly, at least it seems that way from the videos I have seen on youtube. I think it would require alot of effort to make it work properly, if not a complete overhaul of the game.

I would like more PVE-friendly game modes. Especially with how poorly-handled DLC is.

Though I also agree that PVP-specific game modes are more attractive to PVE players. I don't think regular PVP should be done like a battle-royal, but it is anyway thanks to the playerbase. I would rather play a dedicated battle-royal game mode like SOTF where i don't need to worry about offline raiding, or NEETs in general.

7 hours ago, Kimsie said:

5 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

5 hours ago, Kimsie said:

I agree! I had only heard that they shelved it for the time being but I've missed any news regarding it's permanent abandonnement. PUBG recently hit 25 million sales and sensationally managed to beat DotA 2 as the game with the most concurrent players on Steam. Fortnite Battle Royale is on the rise as well so bad the servers can't handle the pressure... I really agree it would be a missed opportunity as they have so much knowledge from the previous development of SotF to build on!

Jen confirmed in a tweet a while back that it's Dead and they won't be bringing it back. Jeremy also talked about it being a failure in a recent interview. The numbers just weren't there Peeps.

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Jen confirmed in a tweet a while back that it's Dead and they won't be bringing it back. Jeremy also talked about it being a failure in a recent interview. The numbers just weren't there Peeps.

Seems pretty stupid to base the future of a game mode on current numbers while at the time denying it to 2 other platforms that may have increased those numbers, right?

Back to the topic at hand, I doubt the devs would bring out a new gamemode unless it was through the sponsored mods programme.

Archived