What sounds more appealing, DLC or Game modes like SOTF(Battle Royal)?

CrackerJackx13

On 12/18/2017 at 5:15 PM, slpintern said:

Personally, I play only PvE because I am not good at PvP games (call me old, that's fine).  I cannot compete with others but I CAN compete with AI.  I would much rather get DLC and new maps so I can continue to experience new areas to play on and explore.  My tribemate and I prefer being ARKitects anyways, so I would much rather have new maps and building materials so we can continue to make bigger and better things.

you are not good at ark pvp because  ark pvp is not balanced

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Seems pretty stupid to base the future of a game mode on current numbers while at the time denying it to 2 other platforms that may have increased those numbers, right?

Back to the topic at hand, I doubt the devs would bring out a new gamemode unless it was through the sponsored mods programme.

It was free and they still couldn't get numbers. The gave rewards out for top players, still no numbers. At some point you have to make the call. It was barely breaking 200 people a day at the end, on Steam, the largest gaming platform in the world.

22 hours ago, Kimsie said:

I agree! I had only heard that they shelved it for the time being but I've missed any news regarding it's permanent abandonnement. PUBG recently hit 25 million sales and sensationally managed to beat DotA 2 as the game with the most concurrent players on Steam. Fortnite Battle Royale is on the rise as well so bad the servers can't handle the pressure... I really agree it would be a missed opportunity as they have so much knowledge from the previous development of SotF to build on!

25 Million?!?! Pubg sold 25 million in sales??? wow. $30x25 million.........THINK ON THAT WILD CARD!!!!! argggggggggggggggg i got this game to play Survival of the Fittest, Alot of us did, delay after delay, after crash, after optimization, after dlc, and nothing.....we waited, 2 years on hows that Player Count, how are those Offical servers doing? ....mark my words, as time goes on if they do not put out another game mode, more people will leave for other games or player dedicated servers. survival of the glitches/lack of support get your poop together.......

1 hour ago, johnm81 said:

You want a sotf style mode again? Then make your own mod put up unofficial servers attract lots of players and catch WCs eye so they will make official again

This the only way so to prove there is interest in it.

interesting, what about console though? or is console screweed again.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:38 PM, LouSpowells said:

Well, since consoles don't get mods, yeah...developing a battle royale mod might be a waste of your time. 

Truth is, developing a battle royale mod for Ark on PC would be a waste of time too. 

Thing is i beleive battle royal/sandbox even though they are on different spectrums will be this generation of gamers play style, the long fight and the short fight will be the good fight of the future, for those that barley have the attention span or the time because of work and family, and those that have plenty of time...this is why battle royal in my beleif is the future of gaming..think on for awhile. both hold weight.

10 hours ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

Thing is i beleive battle royal/sandbox even though they are on different spectrums will be this generation of gamers play style, the long fight and the short fight will be the good fight of the future, for those that barley have the attention span or the time because of work and family, and those that have plenty of time...this is why battle royal in my beleif is the future of gaming..think on for awhile. both hold weight.

I'm not suggesting that a video game company building a battle royale game should change their direction and build something else. BR games will certainly be popular...but Ark's BR mode already didn't work. Suggesting they repeat their same mistake to fail again is a bit strange. 

As for BR being the future of gaming, well...it's going to be a part of the future of gaming, more so than many would have expected a few years ago. There are a few games that have already implemented BR modes to varying success. What the market has demonstrated thus far is that there is a demand for BR games, but that demand is a discerning one. Rolling out a BR mode for games should most assuredly not be something every game developer should focus on. (In fact, Ark: SOTF should be a warning sign to other game developers that they shouldn't necessarily include a BR mode just because it's the new cool thing to do.) Developers should continue to focus on building quality games that are entertaining and have replay value alongside other new BR-oriented games rather than attempting to shoehorn something trendy into a place it doesn't necessarily fit. (GTA5 is another example of this...along with others)

Anyway, the moment I see Roblox and Minecraft successfully roll out competitive and popular battle royale mode that the gaming community rallies around is the moment I think Wildcard should revisit making a new BR mode for Ark. I'm not saying I'm right on this, btw...just sharing my observations of the market as a whole.

In my opinion. Bring back sotf. Simply put.. they already have 3 different Dino's to farm each resource. They have 4 different maps to do it on. The thing they don't have is an official server that maximizes PvP over farming for the solo player. I've been playing ark since it's testing phase was released to PC. I moved to Xbox when that came online. Time and Time again.. you either join a tribe that causes problems/takes things off your body or just wants to fight or tame 12 lvl 5 raptors "their gaurd dogs". Or you play solo hide your base the best you can (and since they nerfed ptera fitting through doors you can't even have ptera long term) there are some really good pvpers that enjoy the actual pvp. Not the you shoot one guy and take his stuff for 10 others to show up on Griffin's style PvP, not the grind for a day to get armor and gear just to lose it in a 10v1 fight cause you couldn't run away fast enough on your ptera. The actual player verses player without the need of the hard grind. So in my opinion.. either bring back sotf or release a no tribes or alliances type server so even if 10 ppl want to go after you they have to do it without the help of the glowing names saying don't shoot this guy he is my tribemate. Ark is a struggle of a grind on any of the officials. They need a game mode that still has the idea of ark.. but not what ark has become

On 12/24/2017 at 4:39 PM, LouSpowells said:

I'm not suggesting that a video game company building a battle royale game should change their direction and build something else. BR games will certainly be popular...but Ark's BR mode already didn't work. Suggesting they repeat their same mistake to fail again is a bit strange. 

As for BR being the future of gaming, well...it's going to be a part of the future of gaming, more so than many would have expected a few years ago. There are a few games that have already implemented BR modes to varying success. What the market has demonstrated thus far is that there is a demand for BR games, but that demand is a discerning one. Rolling out a BR mode for games should most assuredly not be something every game developer should focus on. (In fact, Ark: SOTF should be a warning sign to other game developers that they shouldn't necessarily include a BR mode just because it's the new cool thing to do.) Developers should continue to focus on building quality games that are entertaining and have replay value alongside other new BR-oriented games rather than attempting to shoehorn something trendy into a place it doesn't necessarily fit. (GTA5 is another example of this...along with others)

Anyway, the moment I see Roblox and Minecraft successfully roll out competitive and popular battle royale mode that the gaming community rallies around is the moment I think Wildcard should revisit making a new BR mode for Ark. I'm not saying I'm right on this, btw...just sharing my observations of the market as a whole.

defintly agree well said. variety is the spice of life.

6 hours ago, DemonLordCronos said:

Id like to see dlc that even single player people can enjoy. Maybe a map with ncps that you can join or cooperate with to a certain goal, i know its just like online but maybe make it strange and twisted with rewards to match

your not alone with that feeling. sounds great, wither its executed is a different story.

6 hours ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

i can also agree with that, like the undermapping

The undermapping won't really ever be fixed, apparently it's just a limitation with the engine. That being said, I think they should enforce the rules on Official servers, like no undermapping/aimbotting. They currently don't.

I was more talking about stuff like the Crab throwing anything it carries under the mesh or imprinting on Aberration requiring kibbles that literally aren't in the game. 

On 12/24/2017 at 10:39 PM, LouSpowells said:

I think your observations are sound, but I disagree with you on one point: "Ark's BR mode already didn't work. Suggesting they repeat their same mistake to fail again is a bit strange". I would love to see a BR mode as I think it fits the ARK world very well. But I'm definitely not suggesting they'd continue on the old version. I would love for them to completely start over and use what they learned the first time around. I believe the main reasons it weren't more successful are the long wait time before a game could start, how the dome shrunk and the very unpolished server browser. Not the actual gameplay (although obviously, that could use some work as well seeing that SotF was in alpha/beta when we had it).

The first - the waiting time - I believe is the main issue... you could easily die within minutes of starting a game and then you'd have to wait for 10-20 mins (more?) before another game started. That is really a no go. That's going to drive players away really quickly.

The second main issue, I believe, is how the dome shrunk. I believe it'd be better if it shrunk quicker with fewer people or a Fortnite BR style where it shrunk to a new center based on player locations and number. As it were, a lot of people could die, but the dome shrunk with the same speed regardless making people very spread out and unlikely to meet resulting in less action.

Lastly - the server browser was a bit clunky. The rating system and match making didn't seem too thought through and I believe many improvements could be made there.

6 hours ago, Kimsie said:

I think your observations are sound, but I disagree with you on one point: "Ark's BR mode already didn't work. Suggesting they repeat their same mistake to fail again is a bit strange". I would love to see a BR mode as I think it fits the ARK world very well. But I'm definitely not suggesting they'd continue on the old version. I would love for them to completely start over and use what they learned the first time around. I believe the main reasons it weren't more successful are the long wait time before a game could start, how the dome shrunk and the very unpolished server browser. Not the actual gameplay (although obviously, that could use some work as well seeing that SotF was in alpha/beta when we had it).

The first - the waiting time - I believe is the main issue... you could easily die within minutes of starting a game and then you'd have to wait for 10-20 mins (more?) before another game started. That is really a no go. That's going to drive players away really quickly.

The second main issue, I believe, is how the dome shrunk. I believe it'd be better if it shrunk quicker with fewer people or a Fortnite BR style where it shrunk to a new center based on player locations and number. As it were, a lot of people could die, but the dome shrunk with the same speed regardless making people very spread out and unlikely to meet resulting in less action.

Lastly - the server browser was a bit clunky. The rating system and match making didn't seem too thought through and I believe many improvements could be made there.

What's the definition of insanity?

Wildcard could tweak the rules until the cows come home...but the players wouldn't come back with the cows. The problem with SOTF wasn't the rules, the problem is with Ark PvP mechanics. The crap gunplay physics, farming/gathering and crafting of required tools/weapons, reliance upon tamed dinosaurs, dramatic geography, RNG survival based on the timing of fight/nature "events", and a whole host of other problems. 

If Wildcard wants to turn Ark into a viable Battle Royale, they'll have to start from the ground up modifying mechanics that have been a staple (for good or for bad) of Ark since the early days...and if you're going to do that, you might as well just start a new game. 

22 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Wildcard could tweak the rules until the cows come home...but the players wouldn't come back with the cows. The problem with SOTF wasn't the rules, the problem is with Ark PvP mechanics. The crap gunplay physics, farming/gathering and crafting of required tools/weapons, reliance upon tamed dinosaurs, dramatic geography, RNG survival based on the timing of fight/nature "events", and a whole host of other problems. 

If Wildcard wants to turn Ark into a viable Battle Royale, they'll have to start from the ground up modifying mechanics that have been a staple (for good or for bad) of Ark since the early days...and if you're going to do that, you might as well just start a new game. 

But it wouldn't be doing the same thing over and over if they actually learned from their mistakes ;) Other than that, you might be right the battle mechanics wouldn't hold for a BR game mode... Haven't done enough PvP myself to judge so I'll take your word on it. But then again... if that were the problem and they fixed it - that would benefit the base game as well! :)

To summarize, you're possibly right but I hope you aren't (no offense <3 ) because I loved to watch it and can see potential in it still - with changes!

On 12/27/2017 at 2:38 PM, LouSpowells said:

You state this like it is a fact when its not. Arks gunplay, farming/gathering, crafting, rleiance on dinos, geography, and the dino spawns were not a problem. They were what made it unique and great.  PUBG is so painfully boring after a few matches cause its so linear and basic. In sotf you have varied routes you can take that have significant depth and take practice to master. Even then, with the events and random dino stuff and other players youre still vulnerable. Some people could tame, some tech, some just hunt and steal, some hide in bushes until the end(and some just die to piranha) .  All of those mechanics you mentioned are what was good about it. The issue that is stated the most is the dino pathfinding was awful(have 3 rexs on follow and by time you reach the end you have 1 if youre not herding them constantly), and other buggy things like geting stuck in a crack or rock that cant be broken. Some people didnt like the ELO, and it wasnt perfect but it was good enough. The learning curve was tough but everyone started in the same place of not knowing anything. 
Finally, the biggest issue was when wildcard made it so you HAD to buy ark to get sotf, when it was free new people could try it out and many people owned sotf but not ark and thats when sotf was alive. as soon as they changed it numbers hit a plateau and then they put it on hiatus because of ark players crying so much about working on two games, and sotfs numbers began to drop. 
None of these are problems with sotf itself or its gameplay, but its development, community, and technical stuff like hitboxes/clipping.  

3 hours ago, Kimsie said:

But it wouldn't be doing the same thing over and over if they actually learned from their mistakes ;) Other than that, you might be right the battle mechanics wouldn't hold for a BR game mode... Haven't done enough PvP myself to judge so I'll take your word on it. But then again... if that were the problem and they fixed it - that would benefit the base game as well! :)

To summarize, you're possibly right but I hope you aren't (no offense <3 ) because I loved to watch it and can see potential in it still - with changes!

I think we both know where each other are coming from, and neither of us are right and wrong. I'll I'm suggesting is that if Wildcard made another Ark BR mode, I'd be of the opinion that they didn't learn from their mistakes. xD

On principle though, we're on the same page. 

Archived