Aberration PvP is Awkward...

Crows

Since people keep replying to the OP, I'm putting up a notice: I'm used to Aberration now, it was just first impressions & confusion.

OP: So let me get this straight: 

You start on Aberration and you or your tribe quickly builds up a stone base somewhere decent/away from others (with PvP aspects in mind) and then to progress further, you must get cementing paste, but to get that, you must either get tons of stone and keratin to turn into little bits of paste (very few..) in the Pestle & Mortar, or you farm 40 paste to make a tree sap and wait for sap to produce while planting and growing some crops (which means you MUST live by water, otherwise you're screwed, and laying out long lines of pipes = easy exposure), as well as harvesting bee hives, all to make sweet veggie cakes to then find and tame a snail to set it on wander in your base as it slowly produces Paste, all while avoiding being raided or wiped? 

Then when it comes to defenses (to avoid being raided/wiped, you know...? and forget about auto-turrets at this stage.) you must (once again) build near water for your Plant species X turrets, and rely on the most tedious, boring way of gathering Fertiliser: compost bins... why are they still in the game again? anyway, no idea where the Dung beetles are (now I do,) and I won't be building a toilet without pipes linked to water, which once again leaves your base exposed to TROLLS and raiders. 

What do I mean by trolls? well last night, we had 4 naked noobs with crossbows & pikes, use climbing picks to climb into our base easily (so they should without any turrets set up...) only to climb onto everything higher than our behemoth walls and shoot our tames & camp outside of our door with wooden clubs. We rekt them again and again and they kept coming back with more climbing picks and bows, which quickly got annoying. 

Oil too. I mean, you need a hazmat suit to go to the surface to farm oil, right? (all that just for oil...) okay, good luck getting a hazmat suit before being raided and wiped.

I feel like I'm really uninformed about this map or it's just meant to be like this. If you've managed to avoid being raided and wiped on Aberration already, you're as lucky as ever.

Aberration looks awesome and feels like a nice change, but to actually play on it is another story, especially on official PvP servers, and no not because of the wild dinos or harsh environments, but the players. Nevermind the "nameless" and Reaper Queen, etc - it's the players who're like their own little league of zombies.

2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Maybe just like it's Ark, the game play is broken too.

It sure feels that way. 

And In my opinion, it's like WildCard only focused on mid/end-game progression with Aberration. Is it because they don't want people to easily farm element nodes to make Tek, then transfer? maybe, but I don't have Tek in mind, I just want to play, and so far it's a dull experience already.

1 hour ago, Crows said:

It sure feels that way. 

And In my opinion, it's like WildCard only focused on mid/end-game progression with Aberration. Is it because they don't want people to easily farm element nodes to make Tek, then transfer? maybe, but I don't have Tek in mind, I just want to play, and so far it's a dull experience already.

Well, it is an end game map. I mean you're not meant to start there, you're meant to acend there.

Also, I know the game attracts a huge amount of PVPers, or rather people that think they are, but it's really not a PVP game. I'm pretty sure Aberration and the coming Extinction are designed to be PVE maps focused around the story progression.

25 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Well, it is an end game map. I mean you're not meant to start there, you're meant to acend there.

Also, I know the game attracts a huge amount of PVPers, or rather people that think they are, but it's really not a PVP game. I'm pretty sure Aberration and the coming Extinction are designed to be PVE maps focused around the story progression.

That's true but then it shouldn't be open to PvPers, or it should be modified differently for PvP servers, I suppose. 

Why are you calling PVP players "trolls"? I was doing the same thing they did when I started fresh on Abberation. Going around hitting thatch/wood/stone bases for anything I could be it saddles or cement paste or oil, metal. When you have little any freebees are nice. 

Also you are taking a very traditional ARK map approach to this map when you should be exploring other options. Sure you can go the defensive route and try and get turrets and Plant X or you can be smart and instead build a base that can't be found. I have done the latter and if you play it strict ie no campfires, or big dinos then your base can be indeed very hidden thanks to the map which offers hundreds of hiding spots.

2 hours ago, Crows said:

So let me get this straight: 

You start on Aberration and you or your tribe quickly builds up a stone base somewhere decent/away from others (with PvP aspects in mind) and then to progress further, you must get cementing paste, but to get that, you must either get tons of stone and keratin to turn into little bits of paste (very few..) in the Pestle & Mortar, or you farm 40 paste to make a tree sap and wait for sap to produce while planting and growing some crops (which means you MUST live by water, otherwise you're screwed, and laying out long lines of pipes = easy exposure), as well as harvesting bee hives, all to make sweet veggie cakes to then find and tame a snail to set it on wonder in your base as it slowly produces Paste, all while avoiding being raided or wiped? 

Then when it comes to defenses (to avoid being raided/wiped, you know...? and forget about auto-turrets at this stage.) you must (once again) build near water for your Plant species X turrets, and rely on the most tedious, boring way of gathering Fertiliser: compost bins... why are they still in the game again? anyway, no idea where the Dung beetles are, and I won't be building a toilet without pipes linked to water, which once again leaves your base exposed to TROLLS and raiders. 

What do I mean by trolls? well last night, we had 4 naked noobs with crossbows & pikes, use climbing picks to climb into our base easily (so they should without any turrets set up...) only to climb onto everything higher than our behemoth walls and shoot our tames & camp outside of our door with wooden clubs. We rekt them again and again and they kept coming back with more climbing picks and bows, which quickly got annoying. 

Oil too. I mean, you need a hazmat suit to go to the surface to farm oil, right? (all that just for oil...) okay, good luck getting a hazmat suit before being raided and wiped.

I feel like I'm really uninformed about this map or it's just meant to be like this. If you've managed to avoid being raided and wiped on Aberration already, you're as lucky as ever.

Aberration looks awesome and feels like a nice change, but to actually play on it is another story, especially on official PvP servers, and no not because of the wild dinos or harsh environments, but the players. Nevermind the "nameless" and Reaper Queen, etc - it's the players who're like their own little league of zombies.

aberration is pve oriented map even more than previous. ragnarok is only pvp map in game. pvp in ark is not balanced properly and  feels more kind a forced. when i bought arkin 2015. i tought it will be mainly pve with some pvp game. instead of making pve and pvp versions quite different regarding xp and level advancement, wildcard tend to keep them same, making pve advancement too fast and thus making the game too short and boring, and making pvp too grindy

2 hours ago, Crows said:

So let me get this straight: 

You start on Aberration and you or your tribe quickly builds up a stone base somewhere decent/away from others (with PvP aspects in mind) and then to progress further, you must get cementing paste, but to get that, you must either get tons of stone and keratin to turn into little bits of paste (very few..) in the Pestle & Mortar, or you farm 40 paste to make a tree sap and wait for sap to produce while planting and growing some crops (which means you MUST live by water, otherwise you're screwed, and laying out long lines of pipes = easy exposure), as well as harvesting bee hives, all to make sweet veggie cakes to then find and tame a snail to set it on wonder in your base as it slowly produces Paste, all while avoiding being raided or wiped? 

Then when it comes to defenses (to avoid being raided/wiped, you know...? and forget about auto-turrets at this stage.) you must (once again) build near water for your Plant species X turrets, and rely on the most tedious, boring way of gathering Fertiliser: compost bins... why are they still in the game again? anyway, no idea where the Dung beetles are, and I won't be building a toilet without pipes linked to water, which once again leaves your base exposed to TROLLS and raiders. 

Right, dung beetles are in the blue biome, also there are gas veins so my thoughts are they will be the new meta.. hold one of those and you'll be set...

I also think it's more of a PvE map. You probably have much more fun doing PvP on the other maps.

And it's the first map that is actualy challenging. Some people think Scorched Earth was hard, but i allways found it way to easy. There is water everywere and it's easy to survive there. On Aberration, completly different, it's a hard map and challenging for PvE.

12 minutes ago, Thorium said:

I also think it's more of a PvE map. You probably have much more fun doing PvP on the other maps.

And it's the first map that is actualy challenging. Some people think Scorched Earth was hard, but i allways found it way to easy. There is water everywere and it's easy to survive there. On Aberration, completly different, it's a hard map and challenging for PvE.

Yeah, I've got to agree on Scorched. It's not difficult at all, kinda boring actually. 

I guess some find learning to stay out of extreme heat hard, but if just find it monotonous.

Aft least it has a couple cool creatures and weapons.

20 minutes ago, Thorium said:

3 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Yeah, I've got to agree on Scorched. It's not difficult at all, kinda boring actually. 

I guess some find learning to stay out of extreme heat hard, but if just find it monotonous.

Aft least it has a couple cool creatures and weapons.

Spent more time with Scorched Earth sitting on my butt because of the Heat or a sandstorm....
Till I had 24+ fortitude, then I simply didn't care anymore and flew my Wyvern day  and night regardless of the weather.

Aberration....
That's a whole different level.
Not near a river/lake? No plants or crop plots for you!
It doesn't rain on this map, water is in given spots.....
And usually has very nasty inhabitants.....

3 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Spent more time with Scorched Earth sitting on my butt because of the Heat or a sandstorm....
Till I had 24+ fortitude, then I simply didn't care anymore and flew my Wyvern day  and night regardless of the weather.

Aberration....
That's a whole different level.
Not near a river/lake? No plants or crop plots for you!
It doesn't rain on this map, water is in given spots.....
And usually has very nasty inhabitants.....

Yeah I've gotta say I'm not seeing me spending much time on my other maps in the near future. Feels pretty cool for Ark to seem new and challenging again.

Agreed, I like the difficulty of it compared to other maps but I'm not playing it just to PvP, I naturally only play Ark PvP servers for some reason. I guess it enhances my meaning to play because of that extra added survival vs other players and making connections, etc. I like fortifying my base more than actually PvPing, since I'm the kind of player who only attacks when attacked first. I just don't like how cementing paste is so hard/tedious to get on Aberration. :P

Paste:  easy fix, tame a doedic and a crab, Carry the Doedic with the crab with a person on the deodic.  hit rocks, caryy back to base.

Paste 2: Take your crab up and down the river and kill everything in the water, drop meat gathered to make room for Chitin, keratin and Pearls.  (bonus you get pearls from trilobites)

Paste 3:  chem bench or mortar and pestles, put apste materials in them and grind out tons of paste!

you can find snails and bettles around the bioluminescence zone or on the way down into there. ramps down are not to dangerous. 

trolls: put a roof on your base, Tame a couple ravagers and leave them outside the base on neutral while on follow with a distance of high.

Oil: Crab up and down rivers, kill trilobites.

3 hours ago, Crows said:

@ClamsJager aren't crabs hard to tame though? heard they take cannon & cannon balls = another thing most upcoming PvP tribes won't have access to... 

You can trap them and knock them out with catapults.  Less resource heavy than cannon.

I know you mentioned fertilizer and oil issues, but once you have a Dung Beetle that is minimized (and they are pretty easy to find on the ramps down into the blue chamber)  Also, if you're wanting oil to make gas, you can bypass the oil gathering and just make gas in the Chem Bench with concealed gas balls and green gems.

1 hour ago, Crows said:

@ClamsJager aren't crabs hard to tame though? heard they take cannon & cannon balls = another thing most upcoming PvP tribes won't have access to... 

easy tame, use dino gates and pillars to trap them and use a catapult to knock out, feed spoiled meat and your done. you have to be 65 for the saddle though.

So I play on a PVP dedicated server where PVP doesn't seem to happen as much but certainly can happen.  I love this aspect.  Most of the bigger tribes are all friends but we do get new people from time to time with unknown intentions keeping things interesting.  This means we don't have to throw out PVP for PVE which has it's own issues, but we don't have to sit around and worry about getting wiped all the time as well.  With these aspects i have to say I find Aberration incredibly challenging and fun!

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, gaiainruin said:

My bad, I meant Chem Bench and not Fabricator - have edited my post.

The recipe to craft gas is already in there and you just need to add the congealed gas balls and green gems (if I remember right it's 20 of each)

Sweet. Thank you. Here I was messing around with the Fabricator :)

Archived