Aberration PvP is Awkward...

Crows

8 hours ago, Yster said:

not to talk about players on Argies.. now that no one can bring eggs over anymore. does than mean tribes with fliers already there can breed and massacre everyone else? 

Its not hard to  get picked atm.  

If you see someone with flyers on official abberation, open a ticket and report them, they will have their flyers removed.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

If you see someone with flyers on official abberation, open a ticket and report them, they will have their flyers removed.

Pretty sure they will comes with a global deletion of all non-authorized creatures soon enough. At least, I would assume so; faster and more effective than dealing with ton of tickets. :P

While I'm a massive fan of Aberration's map/environment/creature design: it makes all the primary problems with official servers worse.

The impact of raiding vs the time invested to build a base, or recover from a raid is the primary problem with ARK official PvP.

PvE is still just pillars everywhere (and probably soon taming caps), and PvP your base gets even harder to defend.

• You can't use dinos to defend your base , because they can just be sniped.
  • You can't use turrets due to lack of earlier options/materials.
  • You can't use walls due to lack of materials/ease of availability of C4.
  • You can't use containers due to lack of durable options before vault.

Raiding was too easy already, and it's even easier in Aberration. They continue to make strides in certain areas of the game, but the core official PvE and PvP rulesets continue to make people abandon the game.

There are some definite improvements:

The scarcity of resources is actually a fantastic idea: it promotes competition within the game world: metal nodes being actually meaningful resources that people will fight over is actually really healthy for a pvp environment.

The addition of little mechanics like Ovis to allow you to quickly re-tame a ravager (or whatever) if your mount gets taken out is actually really nice.

But it's all still "go alpha or go home", and keeping a base if you aren't an alpha is a colossal chore.

They need to be focusing their balance attentions on making wiping bases a LOT harder, and require vastly more resource investiture than it currently does. There's nothing wrong with raiding if it isn't always nuked-back-to-square-one every time it happens.

1 hour ago, Obbu said:

While I'm a massive fan of Aberration's map/environment/creature design: it makes all the primary problems with official servers worse.

The impact of raiding vs the time invested to build a base, or recover from a raid is the primary problem with ARK official PvP.

PvE is still just pillars everywhere (and probably soon taming caps), and PvP your base gets even harder to defend.

• You can't use dinos to defend your base , because they can just be sniped.
  • You can't use turrets due to lack of earlier options/materials.
  • You can't use walls due to lack of materials/ease of availability of C4.
  • You can't use containers due to lack of durable options before vault.

Raiding was too easy already, and it's even easier in Aberration. They continue to make strides in certain areas of the game, but the core official PvE and PvP rulesets continue to make people abandon the game.

There are some definite improvements:

The scarcity of resources is actually a fantastic idea: it promotes competition within the game world: metal nodes being actually meaningful resources that people will fight over is actually really healthy for a pvp environment.

The addition of little mechanics like Ovis to allow you to quickly re-tame a ravager (or whatever) if your mount gets taken out is actually really nice.

But it's all still "go alpha or go home", and keeping a base if you aren't an alpha is a colossal chore.

They need to be focusing their balance attentions on making wiping bases a LOT harder, and require vastly more resource investiture than it currently does. There's nothing wrong with raiding if it isn't always nuked-back-to-square-one every time it happens.

You couldn't have said it any better. Completely agree. :o

On 12/18/2017 at 7:15 AM, Crows said:

Oil too. I mean, you need a hazmat suit to go to the surface to farm oil, right? (all that just for oil...) okay, good luck getting a hazmat suit before being raided and wiped

You can gather oil from Abbarant Trilobites and sometimes Seekers will drop nine oil. If you tame an Abbarant Dung Beetle you can make oil that way too.  You dont have to go to the surface for oil either. There's oil down at the purple river in the red area.

• 3 weeks later...

I was solo and progressed rather easily to turrets. I do not yet have a farm. Cementing paste is not an issue at all. U get chitin 4 days from Scorpions, glow bugs, trilobites, crabs. If you have ravagers you should have no problem with chitin. Low lvl Doedic easily gathers enough stone to turn chitin into stacks of cp.

Silica pearls and oil can be gathered easily from trilobites, lots on front of portal area as well as harvestable nodes for SP  pike and hatchet works fine for lower levels. If u have a diplocaulus even better.

Your tames should not be sitting out in the open vulnerable to some sausages with a xbow.

If you want a farm for a snail, pointless IMO, but you will need farm 4 kibble. You can use the water tanks or stone resevoirs and have a weight tame carrying filled up water jars to refill the irrigation tanks.

Yeah I'm used to Aberration now, although I don't like how the blue biome has water with silica pearls infested with eels, jellyfish, baryonyx, crabs, leech-thingies, sarcos and whatever else. Sure, easily kill all aggressive predators in the water before taking the pearls yet when you tame an angler in there to use to get pearls, it aggros everything single damn thing in the water until it dies because it's weak af.

Yeah I know, kill everything around before going for pearls, but that gets tedious, so instead we are forced to fish basket an eel, transport it up north to the not-so-aggressive waters which isn't an easy task either, even though you can refresh the 5min cd by releasing the angler in water on the way. I suppose there has to be negatives and positives with every biome though, I understand you can't just stay complacent in one biome/zone. 

On 5/1/2018 at 8:18 PM, Sully92 said:

You can use the water tanks or stone resevoirs and have a weight tame carrying filled up water jars to refill the irrigation tanks.

You dont need to fill them up manually. They fill up slowly on their own when you are not in render. 

I have plant z, crops and plant x hooked up to 15-20 watertanks without intakes or water jars involved. 

On 18/12/2017 at 4:19 PM, ClamsJager said:

Paste:  easy fix, tame a doedic and a crab, Carry the Doedic with the crab with a person on the deodic.  hit rocks, caryy back to base.

Paste 2: Take your crab up and down the river and kill everything in the water, drop meat gathered to make room for Chitin, keratin and Pearls.  (bonus you get pearls from trilobites)

Paste 3:  chem bench or mortar and pestles, put apste materials in them and grind out tons of paste!

you can find snails and bettles around the bioluminescence zone or on the way down into there. ramps down are not to dangerous. 

trolls: put a roof on your base, Tame a couple ravagers and leave them outside the base on neutral while on follow with a distance of high.

Oil: Crab up and down rivers, kill trilobites.

It also works solo as doeds will auto harvest any rocks you carry them near, only advantage of having a tribemate is you can load up as much as the crab can carry while solo the doed stops harvesting at around 80% of it's weight, you can dual wield 2 doeds though if you've got a weight pumped crab :D 

On 12/18/2017 at 2:26 AM, Crows said:

It sure feels that way. 

And In my opinion, it's like WildCard only focused on mid/end-game progression with Aberration. Is it because they don't want people to easily farm element nodes to make Tek, then transfer? maybe, but I don't have Tek in mind, I just want to play, and so far it's a dull experience already.

The game progression is this, Island -> Scorched Earth -> Aberration -> Next DLC.

Not meant to be able to jump into the latest expansion with a level 1 and it is as easy as it is starting on the Center or Rag to progress.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:15 AM, Crows said:

So let me get this straight: 

You start on Aberration and you or your tribe quickly builds up a stone base somewhere decent/away from others (with PvP aspects in mind) and then to progress further, you must get cementing paste, but to get that, you must either get tons of stone and keratin to turn into little bits of paste (very few..) in the Pestle & Mortar, or you farm 40 paste to make a tree sap and wait for sap to produce while planting and growing some crops (which means you MUST live by water, otherwise you're screwed, and laying out long lines of pipes = easy exposure), as well as harvesting bee hives, all to make sweet veggie cakes to then find and tame a snail to set it on wander in your base as it slowly produces Paste, all while avoiding being raided or wiped? 

Then when it comes to defenses (to avoid being raided/wiped, you know...? and forget about auto-turrets at this stage.) you must (once again) build near water for your Plant species X turrets, and rely on the most tedious, boring way of gathering Fertiliser: compost bins... why are they still in the game again? anyway, no idea where the Dung beetles are (now I do,) and I won't be building a toilet without pipes linked to water, which once again leaves your base exposed to TROLLS and raiders. 

What do I mean by trolls? well last night, we had 4 naked noobs with crossbows & pikes, use climbing picks to climb into our base easily (so they should without any turrets set up...) only to climb onto everything higher than our behemoth walls and shoot our tames & camp outside of our door with wooden clubs. We rekt them again and again and they kept coming back with more climbing picks and bows, which quickly got annoying. 

Oil too. I mean, you need a hazmat suit to go to the surface to farm oil, right? (all that just for oil...) okay, good luck getting a hazmat suit before being raided and wiped.

I feel like I'm really uninformed about this map or it's just meant to be like this. If you've managed to avoid being raided and wiped on Aberration already, you're as lucky as ever.

Aberration looks awesome and feels like a nice change, but to actually play on it is another story, especially on official PvP servers, and no not because of the wild dinos or harsh environments, but the players. Nevermind the "nameless" and Reaper Queen, etc - it's the players who're like their own little league of zombies.

Don't need a hazmat suit to go to the surface, can also use trilobite for oil.

Resources are definitely not scarce on the map.

I think my personal favorite farm for Oil now is the Stalker Cave.  I just roll through to get drops and massacre seekers, which give a bunch of Oil.

My only big beef so far, has been Red Gems being bugged and 70-80% of the nodes not being able to be harvested by an anky.

I think people who have a good grasp of the game and pvp will do fine on the map, but people who do not will struggle.

There is obsidian in Blue, to get Hard Poly if you have a big build that you cannot do Org Poly with.  

• 3 months later...

Archived