Unofficial hosts code of conduct

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89

I’m yet to see anything like this posted anywhere and would be interested to compile a list that many unofficial hosts abide by (multi platform thread).

This isn’t a list of server rules per se but more of how you conduct yourself as a host or admin on a server.

I’ll start:

- Removing toxic players.

Now many players will view this as “admin abuse” if they have been subjected by it. What those people probably don’t realise is that it can be a hard job growing a substantial server population, let alone maintaining one, even more so for new servers with the ever growing competition. If players are deemed to be hurting the server population then a host may be willing to drop them or risk losing more people, that’s it.

This isn’t a official vs unofficial thread so please keep that to yourselves. All I’m asking for is a unified list from veteran and new server hosts/admins alike, to share their views on how they conduct themselves. We all went the best experience for our communities.

Edit: It would also be good to hear from any moderators that host or are involved in that too :)

I have a 4 server cluster on ps4 with a small population of friends made on official servers.  I have only had to remove 1 player since the servers started due to him constantly moaning about where or how players were building and then he started kiting wild dinos to other people's tames and spamming the server with signs moaning about others.

Apart from that it's chilled out and the people generally sort problems out between themselves.

We have events that run week to week to  make it fairer for those that work weekends and all rate changes or server changes are agreed as a group

Things I have set up as rules on my cluster:

• Main/Global chat is English only
  • No pillaring/foundation bombing/sealing off areas. You want an area, claim it and guard it
  • No abusive/toxic/harrassing behavior
  • No abuse of known/reported bugs

That's pretty much it.
We run PvP, so any disputes can sorted.
Cave Building is disabled, and we've enabled the clipping so people can build properly.
No mods whatsoever.
Rates are like on official regarding difficuly/growth of dinosaurs, only breeding and taming we make easier.
But that's something for every server themselves to decide.

1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

I’m yet to see anything like this posted anywhere and would be interested to compile a list that many unofficial hosts abide by (multi platform thread).

This isn’t a list of server rules per se but more of how you conduct yourself as a host or admin on a server.

I’ll start:

- Removing toxic players.

Now many players will view this as “admin abuse” if they have been subjected by it. What those people probably don’t realise is that it can be a hard job growing a substantial server population, let alone maintaining one, even more so for new servers with the ever growing competition. If players are deemed to be hurting the server population then a host may be willing to drop them or risk losing more people, that’s it.

This isn’t a official vs unofficial thread so please keep that to yourselves. All I’m asking for is a unified list from veteran and new server hosts/admins alike, to share their views on how they conduct themselves. We all went the best experience for our communities.

Edit: It would also be good to hear from any moderators that host or are involved in that too :)

I'm curious. If I join your PVP server and wipe a whole bunch of bases would that make me 'toxic'? Furthermore f the victims complained and said they would quit your server as a result, would you resort to banning me to try and make them stay? 

12 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I'm curious. If I join your PVP server and wipe a whole bunch of bases would that make me 'toxic'? Furthermore f the victims complained and said they would quit your server as a result, would you resort to banning me to try and make them stay? 

I am pretty sure it would be seen as toxic. In my opinion it's just how ARK works and the problem isn't the "toxic" players, but the players that just don't learn and don't use all the possibilities to protect them self and counter attack.

If you think people wiping bases is toxic, you should change your server to PvE and allow tribe warfare. That's what the mode was made for.

On my cluster there is no "no toxic players" rule and i got zero banned players in over a year. Did i lose players to "toxic" players? Yes i did, but i don't care. If they are discouraged so easily it's the wrong server for them anyway.

10 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Honestly that depends on a lot of factors.
If your goal was to simply join, wreck poop up and then leave then yes I'd be inclined to remove you before you finish your crusade.
If however you're staying around and are simply a guerilla PvP player that seeks to challenge him against tribes, then they need to defend better.
It's a really tough call to make, and does not have a simple "yes" or "no" answer in most cases.

Here are the rules of my cluster, i think there are kind of unique because "toxic behavior" is seen as part of the game and allowed. However telling from experience it doesn't happen often. Most players getting along just fine.

Rules:

• It's a unmoderated server. So you don't have to be nice to people, you don't have to be politically correct. Everything you write in chat is considered part of the game. As long as you don't dox people you can write or say what ever you want, i don't care.
  • No cheating, this includes bug abusing or exploiting. You are not allowed to abuse a game breaking bug, for example duping. There are a lot of small bugs that will not get you banned. If you are not sure what will you get banned and what will not get you banned, just ask me in Discord.
  • Since we are using the ORP2 mod for offline protection we need to restrict the use of the offline protection, so you can't block content. You are not allowed to offline protect obelisks and caves with artifacts. You can still build there, you are just not allowed to offline protect there.
  • You are not allowed to have alt tribes and characters for the purpose of protecting your stuff by abusing the ORP2 mod. You are allowed to have alt characters, however they need to be in the same tribe as your main character.
  • You will not get compensation or help for stuff you lose to bugs. This is mainly so no abuse happens. If an admin loses stuff, he will never spawn it back. The same goes for every player. If you get stuck, you will not be teleported out. Ask players to help you. Or simply die. Losing tames is not as hard of a hit on our server as we have very fast breeding. This is a hard server with no admin intervention, but it's one you can be certain there is no admin abuse.
  • There are no warnings and there are no punishments. If you don't stick to the rules, you will be permanently banned. This is a server you can do all kinds of stuff on without admin intervention. If you can't stick to the few rules we have, we just don't want you on our cluster.

Guest DJRone89
48 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

On a PvP front, in my eyes, only players who do considerable amount of damage to the server population would be seen as toxic. But the host needs to weigh it up and ask themselves; is it easier to ban this tribe, or recruit more people?

3 hours ago, Olivar said:

Honestly that depends on a lot of factors.
If your goal was to simply join, wreck poop up and then leave then yes I'd be inclined to remove you before you finish your crusade.
If however you're staying around and are simply a guerilla PvP player that seeks to challenge him against tribes, then they need to defend better.
It's a really tough call to make, and does not have a simple "yes" or "no" answer in most cases.

So you would be ban me from your PVP server for engaging in PVP? Well that says a lot about unofficials and that's why I don't bother with them.

3 hours ago, Thorium said:

Here are the rules of my cluster, i think there are kind of unique because "toxic behavior" is seen as part of the game and allowed. However telling from experience it doesn't happen often. Most players getting along just fine.

Rules:

• It's a unmoderated server. So you don't have to be nice to people, you don't have to be politically correct. Everything you write in chat is considered part of the game. As long as you don't dox people you can write or say what ever you want, i don't care.
  • No cheating, this includes bug abusing or exploiting. You are not allowed to abuse a game breaking bug, for example duping. There are a lot of small bugs that will not get you banned. If you are not sure what will you get banned and what will not get you banned, just ask me in Discord.
  • Since we are using the ORP2 mod for offline protection we need to restrict the use of the offline protection, so you can't block content. You are not allowed to offline protect obelisks and caves with artifacts. You can still build there, you are just not allowed to offline protect there.
  • You are not allowed to have alt tribes and characters for the purpose of protecting your stuff by abusing the ORP2 mod. You are allowed to have alt characters, however they need to be in the same tribe as your main character.
  • You will not get compensation or help for stuff you lose to bugs. This is mainly so no abuse happens. If an admin loses stuff, he will never spawn it back. The same goes for every player. If you get stuck, you will not be teleported out. Ask players to help you. Or simply die. Losing tames is not as hard of a hit on our server as we have very fast breeding. This is a hard server with no admin intervention, but it's one you can be certain there is no admin abuse.
  • There are no warnings and there are no punishments. If you don't stick to the rules, you will be permanently banned. This is a server you can do all kinds of stuff on without admin intervention. If you can't stick to the few rules we have, we just don't want you on our cluster.

Your rules are extremely rare for an unofficial PVP server. I wonder though if someone like me joined your server and did some heavy PVP whether you'd "adjust" your rules given that a lot of the handholding tribes would be pretty vocally upset with me.

2 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

On a PvP front, in my eyes, only players who do considerable amount of damage to the server population would be seen as toxic. But the host needs to weigh it up and ask themselves; is it easier to ban this tribe, or recruit more people?

It seems the word "toxic" seems to be defined as players that do actual PVP on servers. Strange concept. 

Proud to say I'm a very "toxic" player xD

2 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

So you would be ban me from your PVP server for engaging in PVP? Well that says a lot about unofficials and that's why I don't bother with them.

Thank you for not reading the arguments.
I said I might, I said I might not.
There is no simple answer to the question you posed.
Don't try to paint a pictured from a biased response.

Guest DJRone89

3 hours ago, Olivar said:

Thank you for not reading the arguments.
I said I might, I said I might not.
There is no simple answer to the question you posed.
Don't try to paint a pictured from a biased response.

No point engaging further with this guy because he is clearly a troll. This was supposed to be a thread amongst unofficial hosts but all this guy can do is ignore everything we have to say and claim that all forms of PvP are considered toxic.

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

It seems the word "toxic" seems to be defined as players that do actual PVP on servers. Strange concept. 

Proud to say I'm a very "toxic" player xD

Looking at your reponses to other people, your whole attitude is toxic. You seem like the sort of person who would join a server with rules, break them, and scream admin abuse because you couldn’t play the way you wanted. 

And then have the audacity to go around and tell everyone that all unofficials are terribly run just because you had no intentions to pick the right server for you.

There are many no rules servers out there but for you to slate hosts who have rules just further proves what a troll and indecent person you are.

Archived