Is there a way to make a Dino go unconscious faster?

TheUnstoppableB

Hi, I’ve recently started to progress into end game and I was wondering, is there a way to make Dino’s go unconscious faster? I have somewhat decent aim, but to knock out a lvl 50+ Rex it takes at least 60 Tranq arrows I know I should be using tranq darts but, there is a Rex I need for breeding in my area but if I leave it it will go away. So is there a way I can make it go unconscious quickly. And I’m not looking to cheat my way through it because I’m just lot like that. 

Best thing to do is probably make a trap out of some stone dino gates (4) and a bear trap.. once you have it trapped just start giving it head shots until it passes out. Higher quality bows / crossbows (Ramshackle, apprentice, Journeyman, Mastercraft) will take less shots because of higher weapon damage. Other than that there is not really any way to knock it out faster without tranq darts or shock darts. Good Luck..

Just a primitive Xbow should just take 45 narc arrows.  It helps if you have it trapped so it can't run around while you are trying to shoot it.  The torpor build up can take some time as well so you could always just pump 50 narc arrows into its belly and wait for it to fall unconscious.  Headshots don't give increased torpor on rexes like many other dinos so just aim for centre of mass should make it easier to hit.

I think 50 narc arrows from the xbow should take just 200 seconds so just over 3 minutes.  That's not too long if you have it trapped.

Don't forget that you should count 4-5 full seconds between shots.. tranqs do a initial topor and then the same over the next 5 seconds. So if your not counting then your using double what you actually need.. warning tho, don't worry about that on Dino's that lose topor super fast, like a giga you have to practically keep shooting it none stop otherwise it never builds up topor because of how fast it drops. But normally Dino's are fine.

17 hours ago, anubis3691 said:

Don't forget that you should count 4-5 full seconds between shots.. tranqs do a initial topor and then the same over the next 5 seconds. So if your not counting then your using double what you actually need.. warning tho, don't worry about that on Dino's that lose topor super fast, like a giga you have to practically keep shooting it none stop otherwise it never builds up topor because of how fast it drops. But normally Dino's are fine.

Yes, if you want to keep shooting until it drops, otherwise you can just unload the required number of narc arrows and then wait for the torpor to catch up and it will drop 30 seconds to a minute later.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, anubis3691 said:
1 hour ago, DeningWei said:
Yes, if you want to keep shooting until it drops, otherwise you can just unload the required number of narc arrows and then wait for the torpor to catch up and it will drop 30 seconds to a minute later.

I was under the impression that it did not stack? Are you sure this is accurate information?

It does stacks, hence why you need to delay your arrows/darts when it starts to runaway otherwise you will shoot it when it is down and lose TE. :)

9 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Check the following table:

You can see "Instant torpor" and "Over time" which is the one that stacks over time.

Everything official and legit source I've ever read says that the "Over time" torpor does not stack, please provide some legit source of information that says they do.

My understanding of the "Over Time" mechanic is like so (let's say you're using a Crossbow).

1) You hit your target with a tranq arrow, instantly doing 70 Torport.

2) The "Over Time" torpor starts ticking, if you let it run for  a full five seconds you will get 87.5 more torpor

3) However, if you fire another tranq arrow before the 5 seconds has completed, the Over Time torpor from your first arrow immediately stops, and now the Over Time torpor from the second arrow begins ticking off.

This is why, for example, if two people are working together to take down a target they will fire much more than the required number of arrows, because the two people keep cutting off each other's Over time counter.

Or, as a single player, if you fire tranq arrows as quickly as you possibly can you will always find that you shoot more arrows than the number shows on the taming calculators, because every time you fire you lose a little bit of the Over Time torpor from the previous shot.

So again, not trying to be argumentative, but you're contracting everything legit that I've ever read - so please provide a legit source that says they stack.

9 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

It does stacks, hence why you need to delay your arrows/darts when it starts to runaway otherwise you will shoot it when it is down and lose TE. :)

I think you're misdiagnosing what's happening. That can happen even if they don't stack.

Let's say you're close to knocking out an animal, it only has 120 torpor left before it gets knocked out. And let's say it's something that drains torpor slowly, like an Allosaur. You shoot it with your crossbow and instantly do 70 torpor, now it only has 50 remaining. Over the next 5 seconds it drains a little bit of torpor, but the Over Time torpor from your arrow does 87.5 more torpor to it, which causes it to get knocked out.

If your timing is bad, you could fire your next shot and your next arrow will be in the air while the animal is passing out, which the game then counts as you damaging it after you've knocked it out.

That has nothing to do with any possible stacking and everything to do with the timing of your last shot. These late shots are not caused by torpor from multiple shots stacking, they're caused by taking that final shot at just the wrong time and hitting the animal after it's knocked out.

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Everything official and legit source I've ever read says that the "Over time" torpor does not stack, please provide some legit source of information that says they do.

My understanding of the "Over Time" mechanic is like so (let's say you're using a Crossbow).

1) You hit your target with a tranq arrow, instantly doing 70 Torport.

2) The "Over Time" torpor starts ticking, if you let it run for  a full five seconds you will get 87.5 more torpor

3) However, if you fire another tranq arrow before the 5 seconds has completed, the Over Time torpor from your first arrow immediately stops, and now the Over Time torpor from the second arrow begins ticking off.

This is why, for example, if two people are working together to take down a target they will fire much more than the required number of arrows, because the two people keep cutting off each other's Over time counter.

Or, as a single player, if you fire tranq arrows as quickly as you possibly can you will always find that you shoot more arrows than the number shows on the taming calculators, because every time you fire you lose a little bit of the Over Time torpor from the previous shot.

So again, not trying to be argumentative, but you're contracting everything legit that I've ever read - so please provide a legit source that says they stack.

I'm not sure what sources you're referring to, but every source  I've EVER read about knocking dinos out has said that the torpor over time DOES stack.  This is also stupidly easy to test, as well.   Simply find a dino that takes ~15 darts to knock out (including torpor over time),  pen it, shoot all 15 darts into it in quick succession, then watch as it passes out ~1 minute later.  I did this just last night with a paracer that took 27 tranq arrows to knock out.   Myself and a tribe mate dumped all the arrows instantly and watched it run around for 2 minutes before it passed out.

• Volunteer Moderator

@Pipinghot Well, this is the exact same mechanic used when you force-feed narcotics; it DOES stacks. But since you wants proofs, I made a short clip for you better than a wall of text. Basically a Giga level 1 has 10,000 torpor. Since a single Tranq Arrow with a Primitive Crossbow deals 157.5 total, it will requires 64 arrows (10k / 157.5 = 63.49 = 64). Even tho, technically, it would only requires 63 because ((10,000 / 100) * 99) / 157.5 = 62.86 = 63 but I always go for 100% torpor. But anyways, let's put that to the test:

On 19/12/2017 at 1:52 AM, banggugyangu said:

I'm not sure what sources you're referring to, but every source  I've EVER read about knocking dinos out has said that the torpor over time DOES stack.  This is also stupidly easy to test, as well.   Simply find a dino that takes ~15 darts to knock out (including torpor over time),  pen it, shoot all 15 darts into it in quick succession, then watch as it passes out ~1 minute later.  I did this just last night with a paracer that took 27 tranq arrows to knock out.   Myself and a tribe mate dumped all the arrows instantly and watched it run around for 2 minutes before it passed out.

Yes this is also my experience.

[mention=314651]Pipinghot[/mention] Well, this is the exact same mechanic used when you force-feed narcotics; it DOES stacks. But since you wants proofs, I made a short clip for you better than a wall of text. Basically a Giga level 1 has 10,000 torpor. Since a single Tranq Arrow with a Primitive Crossbow deals 157.5 total, it will requires 64 arrows (10k / 157.5 = 63.49 = 64). Even tho, technically, it would only requires 63 because ((10,000 / 100) * 99) / 157.5 = 62.86 = 63 but I always go for 100% torpor. But anyways, let's put that to the test:

Thank you for taking the time to demonstrate that! For the record I believed you without the video lol. But it did make me wonder about something else, what about Dino topor? Like trying to use a scorpion to K/O something. Does it's "over time" topor stack?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Thank you for taking the time to demonstrate that! For the record I believed you without the video lol. But it did make me wonder about something else, what about Dino topor? Like trying to use a scorpion to K/O something. Does it's "over time" topor stack?

It does stack too, as well. Any over time torpor applied to a character/creature will stacks. :)

16 hours ago, anubis3691 said:
16 hours ago, invincibleqc said:
It does stack too, as well. Any over time torpor applied to a character/creature will stacks. emoji4.png

Oh man.. I wish I would have known that a long time ago lol.. thank you for clarifying that up for all of us that was misinformed!

This is one that  I'll ive a pass on.  For a long time, the wikis and calculators all had misinformation about creature torpor stating that it didn't stack.  That's all been redacted as far as I'm aware, now, though.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:25 AM, Pipinghot said:

Do not think there is a source that would say this at all.

I can tell you from massive amounts of experience that they do stack.

The most recent example I can give you of this was on the Center, shortly after retail release, the first week or two, three of us were hunting high-level wild Giga's to establish our breeding line. We had a bad spot to trap a 150 Giga, next to the cliff on the north side of Center and against some rocks, we were able to pump enough tranq dart into him to start him running away. This is where things went south. He was able to jump over the rocks and out of our trap, he then proceeded to run away and off the side of the cliff, all the way down, down, down, to the level just above the water. We flew down to observe him, he had lost agro on us by then and was just standing there. 

We regrouped, set up a new trap just below him, next step past this is water and death for him. Took us about 5-6 minutes to get the trap set as we had to fly back up and demolish the old trap and gather some additional materials to make the new trap. We got it all complete, look up and the Giga is gone. He walked down the side of the cliff about 100 feet and passed out right there.

SO, we had not put a single dart into him for about 10 minutes and he passed out unconscious, only the 170 plus darts we had pumped into him could have caused this, hence they DO stack with the overtime torpor. 

On 12/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, banggugyangu said:

The thing is, I've done exactly that test - about 1.5 years ago - and it didn't stack at the time. When I first started playing ARK that's how my buddies and I tried taming, we'd just unload the arrows/darts into an animal as fast as possible and it didn't work, we always had to shoot "extra" darts. Then when we read that the "over time" torpor didn't stack it all made sense.

What I'm seeing in this thread is that there has been a change made at some point in the last 1.5 years that I never heard about. This  is one case where i'm perfectly happy to be wrong, I got tired of counting off 5 seconds between shots a long time ago, looking forward to not having to do that anymore.

p.s. @invincibleqc Thank you for the video, really appreciate the effort to document proof.

@invincibleqc I have a follow up question. Something I noticed when I watched your video last night is that the giga goes down at 9,900 torpor, even though the magnifying glass shows that it has 10,000. At the 5:20 mark in your video it hits 9,000, it does the little shudder that indicates "I'm knocked out", the torpor goes up to 9,905 and it falls to the ground as you back off off with your magnifying glass. By the 5:21 mark you've moved away, it's lying on the ground, and as far as I can tell the torpor maxed out at 9,905.

As long as I'm learning new things in this thread, why is that? It seems to me that the bar should hit 10,000 before it goes down, what am I missing or overlooking?

• Volunteer Moderator

@Pipinghot As far as I know, creatures always been passing out at 99% of their max torpor (as mentioned in my previous post about 64 vs 63 arrows). And the +5 is quite easy to explain, since I did shot 64 arrows, there was a total of 10,080 torpor total so once at 9,900, there was still "over time" torpor to be applied and for optimization purposes, unconscious creatures are "ticking" way less often than a conscious one. Just use a magnifying glass on an unconscious creature your are taming and you will see its torpor increasing/decreasing only once per second instead of ticking every frame.

Archived