Do you still lose characters during transfer?

GLADONOS

Been there done that did not like it, still happens especially if one server has a rollback and other one not. And you loose imprints and have to make a new survivor because GM has not the tools to find or assign imprints. Only what you can get back is your tribe.

GM’S need the right tools from the devs what you would expect when a game is released...

1 hour ago, Avaraxius said:

Been there done that did not like it, still happens especially if one server has a rollback and other one not. And you loose imprints and have to make a new survivor because GM has not the tools to find or assign imprints. Only what you can get back is your tribe.

GM’S need the right tools from the devs what you would expect when a game is released...

Gm's used to respawn a dino and apply imprint back, would be a random dino but at a min it would have up to that 30% boost. and they can easily give you ur levels back.They just do NOT want to. They could also restore tek grams too but wont even if they had to do a collect summon and kill session with other ppl who lost char at same time.

3 hours ago, GLADONOS said:

This is very important and if this is still the case it needs to be top priority.

Yes. It's not as common an issue as it used to be, but it's still not fixed. I've only had it happen once on official, but it's happened a few times on a couple different private clusters in the past year or so when there have been rollbacks.

Just now, Kimsie said:

Oh, this sounds worrying :/ Hadn't heard about this before... I have my own private server and was thinking of setting up a server cluster, but then I run the risk of losing my character when transferring? Or is it only if I do a rollback on one of the servers? Or are there any more variables to take into account?

Roll back im sure off it had two situation where it happend. And the rest is like throwing a dice I think bit of bad luck. I did a lot of transfers with same survivor on official and legacy  but the roll back on official did it for me.

4 minutes ago, Avaraxius said:

Roll back im sure off it had two situation where it happend. And the rest is like throwing a dice I think bit of bad luck. I did a lot of transfers with same survivor on official and legacy  but the roll back on official did it for me.

Thank you! Is it if you're transferring during a rollback or just when you're transferring after a rollback? Is there anything you can do to avoid it even if there is a rollback, that you know of?

1 hour ago, Kimsie said:

Thank you! Is it if you're transferring during a rollback or just when you're transferring after a rollback? Is there anything you can do to avoid it even if there is a rollback, that you know of?

for example i had two different situations. 

1: went jumping between SE and the island with wyvern milk, my island server had a rollback a huge one (8 hours). My rollback went to the time i was on SE with my survivor. SO it was removed from the server SE did not get a rollback. Was not possible to retrieve it anymore

2: Our island server lags alot with ping 255 so i wanted to escape it with my alt jumped with my alt. The island server had small rollbacks the whole time and probalby had a rollback of 30m. when i loged with my main my alt was 'sleeping' on the island server but not usable not connected to my account or so it was duped.

So if you unlucky and get a bad roll back after transfer the risk of lost survivor is huge, but this is only when you jump to the server that has the roll back since it is possible that it resets to the time that you where on another server.

1 minute ago, Avaraxius said:

for example i had two different situations. 

1: went jumping between SE and the island with wyvern milk, my island server had a rollback a huge one (8 hours). My rollback went to the time i was on SE with my survivor. SO it was removed from the server SE did not get a rollback. Was not possible to retrieve it anymore

2: Our island server lags alot with ping 255 so i wanted to escape it with my alt jumped with my alt. The island server had small rollbacks the whole time and probalby had a rollback of 30m. when i loged with my main my alt was 'sleeping' on the island server but not usable not connected to my account or so it was duped.

So if you unlucky and get a bad roll back after transfer the risk of lost survivor is huge, but this is only when you jump to the server that has the roll back since it is possible that it resets to the time that you where on another server.

Ah, so if the rollback is to a time when the character wasn't on the server, that's when you run the risk of losing it? Thank you so much for sharing your information :D

1 hour ago, Kimsie said:

Oh, this sounds worrying :/ Hadn't heard about this before... I have my own private server and was thinking of setting up a server cluster, but then I run the risk of losing my character when transferring? Or is it only if I do a rollback on one of the servers? Or are there any more variables to take into account?

In most cases the frequency of this problem is pretty low on well maintained private server clusters. Most of the rollbacks on unofficials servers that have caused me problems were on servers with 10+ mods that would occasionally break. Even then, from my experience it only occurs if you join the rollback server before the rolllback, but after the save that the server rolled back to. With good server administration and attention to installed mods, this issue isn't common...but it sure would be nice if WC could figure out a fix to it after all this time.

7 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

In most cases the frequency of this problem is pretty low on well maintained private server clusters. Most of the rollbacks on unofficials servers that have caused me problems were on servers with 10+ mods that would occasionally break. Even then, from my experience it only occurs if you join the rollback server before the rolllback, but after the save that the server rolled back to. With good server administration and attention to installed mods, this issue isn't common...but it sure would be nice if WC could figure out a fix to it after all this time.

Thank you! Just making sure I understand you:
A save point was made at time stamp A
At time point B the server was rollbacked to A
The problem is if I logged in in the time between A and B?

I agree, a fix would be the best! In the mean time, it's great knowing as much as I can about the problem in order to minimise the risk of falling victim to it. When characters are lost - is it "only" like if I died and created a new survivor? So if I have a tribe with only me in it - everything is lost to the new character?

9 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

is it "only" like if I died and created a new survivor? So if I have a tribe with only me in it - everything is lost to the new character?

your survivor wil be deleted from the servers, but wil be in tribe stil as owner, only way is to make a ticket and hope you get a reply within a week, then A GM assignes the tribe back 2 you.

You have to create a new survivor and only a GM can get you in the tribe again if it is a solo tribe.

28 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

Thank you! Just making sure I understand you:
A save point was made at time stamp A
At time point B the server was rollbacked to A
The problem is if I logged in in the time between A and B?

I agree, a fix would be the best! In the mean time, it's great knowing as much as I can about the problem in order to minimise the risk of falling victim to it. When characters are lost - is it "only" like if I died and created a new survivor? So if I have a tribe with only me in it - everything is lost to the new character?

That's roughly accurate, but I'll risk splitting hairs to make sure we're on the same page. It's not as much a login issue so much as it is a transfer issue, at least based on my experiences and the experiences of those on servers I've admin'd.

Assuming we've got Server 1 and Server 2, in my experience, the lost character bug has only occurred when the player transfers from server 1 to server 2. Using the terms of your example, the bug would occur when you transfer from server 1 to server 2, while server 2 is between Time Point A and Time Point B. When server 2 rolls back, it rolls back to a point where your character never existed. You can't "transfer" back to server 1 because there's nothing to transfer, and as far as server 1 is concerned you already left and you need to bring back a character that no longer exists.

The only current fix to this issue that I am aware of is to roll back server 1 to a save point prior to the time in which you transferred off of it.

If one server on a populated unofficial cluster rolls back and you can't confirm the transfer status of all players, in my experience it is best-practice to roll them all back. Unfortunately rolling back all of them can make a lot of people angry. lol

2 hours ago, Kimsie said:

And since your the admin, you can roll back the server to get you character again.. you control it so you can get everything back.. just from what I've heard from really good admins on private servers that take care of people properly

Bunker down, pick a map and stick with it. If you need something from another server,  Make another character for that server. Breed dinos that you need from one service is another so you’re transferring ones you can replace. There still is an inherent risk with unique Dino’s you can’t breed and items But at least minimize the Danger.

Just want to point out that they did in fact used to recover your toons for you. But not to long ago I remember a thread in this very spot where someone was talking about how his/her whole tribe had reported lost characters and they were getting toons that were high level without ever even loosing them. I'm sure they wasn't the only ones to pull that either. So all in all we shouldn't blame anyone but ourselves. Imo, ofcourse.

52 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Just want to point out that they did in fact used to recover your toons for you. But not to long ago I remember a thread in this very spot where someone was talking about how his/her whole tribe had reported lost characters and they were getting toons that were high level without ever even loosing them. I'm sure they wasn't the only ones to pull that either. So all in all we shouldn't blame anyone but ourselves. Imo, ofcourse.

If they would have the right tools they could see that. So no it is not the players to blame.

13 minutes ago, Avaraxius said:

If they would have the right tools they could see that. So no it is not the players to blame.

Why not use a log like the tribe log? When a dino dies and I do a rollback, the dino is still listed as being killed when I pull up the log. So introducing a similar log when people transfer should persist through rollbacks and would make it a very easy feat to verify if a player really did loose a char to transfer and what level.

Archived