$2000 Dollar prize, First to kill the Aberration Boss on Official Servers.

CrackerJackx13

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy who posted this particular video did not show the server. His teammate, Pbot, did show it at the beginning: EU Official Abberation 231. Looks like Rockwell gets confused by the rock drake cloaking. It's crazy how little damage they took. Judging by the comments on the video, I would guess they're not getting prize money for this run.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, DrSmithDVM said:

they're not getting prize money for this run.

In my opinion, they deserve to get the prize. Do I think it was intended? No. Do I think they used an exploit? No. They didn't use any cheat and simply used legit mechanics available in the DLC and completed the challenge of "defeating the alpha boss on official server" - there was no mention of a specific method to use or not so yeah, they completed the challenge in my opinion.

5 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

In my opinion, they deserve to get the prize. Do I think it was intended? No. Do I think they used an exploit? No. They didn't use any cheat and simply used legit mechanics available in the DLC and completed the challenge of "defeating the alpha boss on official server" - there was no mention of a specific method to use or not so yeah, they completed the challenge in my opinion.

I disagree. Players like to pretend they had no idea what they were doing was exploitative...but this was clearly an unintended mechanic. Rather than report the exploit, they recorded it and uploaded it. Correct me if I misunderstood the intent, but now it would seem they are using it as proof of a challenge completed.

Anyway, I've seen things like this happen too many times to expect they will get anything more than a chuckle out of it. 

35 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I disagree. Players like to pretend they had no idea what they were doing was exploitative...but this was clearly an unintended mechanic. Rather than report the exploit, they recorded it and uploaded it. Correct me if I misunderstood the intent, but now it would seem they are using it as proof of a challenge completed.

Anyway, I've seen things like this happen too many times to expect they will get anything more than a chuckle out of it. 

Reguardless how they did it. There was no cheats involved. They deserve the prize.

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

This was the intended response to wild cards bounty. The ark player base is known for finding exploits, it probably worked out cheaper to pay the players than to pay certified game testers.

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

True, but this is a so obvious exploit it should not slip through testing. Not if you make a real money competition out of it.

They should pay the 2k and restart the competition. It's WC's own fault they didn't really tested the DLC. It's not the only obvious thing that is broken. Breeding is beyond broken with imprinting kibbles not craftable and drake breeding has at least 3 obvious bugs.

• Volunteer Moderator

Fact is nobody in this thread right now knows whether this is an intended or unintended mechanic, period. The guys that completed the challenge completed it fairly and squarely with the mechanics given to them by the Devs, just like everyone else in the game has. If anyone else didn't think of trying this mechanic out then that is their loss.

The $2,000 is deserved to those two, as long as they show proof in the video that it was on an Official Server.

So many people scream that the island bosses are way too hard etc, now someone does Alpha Aberration boss like this and you all scream exploit.

Just accept that these guys thought about the mechanics provided by the Devs and found that those mechanics worked in their favour.

1 hour ago, GP said:

Fact is nobody in this thread right now knows whether this is an intended or unintended mechanic, period. The guys that completed the challenge completed it fairly and squarely with the mechanics given to them by the Devs, just like everyone else in the game has. If anyone else didn't think of trying this mechanic out then that is their loss.

The $2,000 is deserved to those two, as long as they show proof in the video that it was on an Official Server.

So many people scream that the island bosses are way too hard etc, now someone does Alpha Aberration boss like this and you all scream exploit.

Just accept that these guys thought about the mechanics provided by the Devs and found that those mechanics worked in their favour.

Tl;Dr ark community being ark community. 

They got the kill using all game mechanics available. If this isn't what wildcard intended they should have tested it.

It's always something. Bosses to hard, bosses to easy, pvp vs pve, official vs unofficial, mega tribe vs solo.

Every frigging time there is someone whining about something. Just accept some people are simply better at something, more creative or simply play different.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:13 PM, Thorium said:

True, but this is a so obvious exploit it should not slip through testing. Not if you make a real money competition out of it.

They should pay the 2k and restart the competition. It's WC's own fault they didn't really tested the DLC. It's not the only obvious thing that is broken. Breeding is beyond broken with imprinting kibbles not craftable and drake breeding has at least 3 obvious bugs.

If you're worried about accountability, keep in mind that Wildcard will probably take a harder hit from bad PR if they deny the guys the two bills. We'll see I guess.

3 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

If you're worried about accountability, keep in mind that Wildcard will probably take a harder hit from bad PR if they deny the guys the two bills. We'll see I guess.

I agree. With the way this year has gone for them, Wildcard should just admit their mistake. They deserve the money since they fulfilled all the requirements of the contest. In my other post I was referring to a comment by Denchy that Pbot had already gotten a message from Jen, followed by a vague "FeelsBadMan" in a weird context.

18 minutes ago, Buck386 said:

If there method was considered a exploit then why hasnt it been patched yet? They deserve the money honestly

Because that's simply how it goes when you're a company known for neither playtesting your content, nor reliably releasing solid content, and release a new expansion right before the Holidays. To be frank, the people who should be working/patching this, probably aren't even at work yet, let alone seeing what happened. 

As far as whether Denchy and PB will get the money, I think it will say a lot about Wildcard, regardless of which option they choose. The fact that their first DLC went on sale right before they took the Holiday off, in such a bad shape, has said enough to set the tone, but how they handle the A-Team completion will really cement their stance on the subject. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 7:02 AM, LouSpowells said:

they dont give a crap about bad pr. all they care about is "ooohh shiny new spinos, new dlc, give us mo moneys"

Archived