Dedicated PvE (mostly) Server on The Island - New Real Estate - Low Population

[Updated 12/29/2017]

[Updated 12/14/2017]

Hello Survivors! 

I just opened a hosted dedicated server for The Island. The server is brand new and the map is nearly pristine. The only structures so far are a community center and a wooden shanty for my humble beginnings. 

Quick Q&A:

To help you (and I) save time, here are some quick bullet points on how this server will be administrated. 

Q: Are there any clusters?

A: Currently, no. I am running a 10 slot server on The Island as a sort of trial run.

Q: Is this a boosted server?

A: No, this server is not a boosted server. We'll be keeping most of the settings vanilla for a more pure Ark experience. At least for now. As of 12/28/2017, 11:31 PM CST - Experience Gains are at 3x for initial server push, Taming is at 2x from now through the New Year Holiday. XP/Taming rates will be adjusted similarly to the evolution events on official servers. Boosting may also be used as incentive to equalize server traffic and encourage playing in non-peak hours from time to time. 

Q: Are admin slots for sale?

A: Admin slots will not be for sale. Currently, I'm the only admin for the server. This is to avoid admin abuse. Eventually, growth will dictate that we need additional admins. This will be based solely on a trust/participation decision. 

Q: How much does it Cost? 

A: Nothing. Currently the costs are manageable for me to simply absorb the fees for running this single low-population server. If growth necessitates, we can have a community discussion on what we are willing to do as a whole. 

Server Basics

Current as of 12/29/2017

As of 12/29/2017 we have added Cross play. This allows Players on Windows X version of Ark to join the server. (This is still not compatible with the Steam version of the game)

• Server Name: Updated 12/29/2017 [US] Pr0jektile - ARK - TheIsland - Dedicated
  • Slots: 10 Due to Low simultaneous player traffic, we've opened up to allow more than the 10 slots-worth of players to join server. Currently, there are 13 players who have been given access to the server, but I have seen no more than 4 simultaneously playing. We will continue to monitor this to ensure our availability keeps up with demand.
  • Mode: PvE, Tribe Wars Allowed, Periodic Structured PvP events. 
  • Map(s): The Island
  • Hosting: Nitrado
  • Dedicated: Yes
  • Character Download?: No
  • Dino Download?: No

Server Stats

(Current as of 12/29/2017 12:14 AM CST)

• XP Gains All set at 3x
  • Taming Currently at 2x
  • Difficulty Offset at 1.2857 with Override option at 5.0 (This results in the Dino Level Increments of 5, and max level of wild Dinos at 150, similar to the Official Server settings)
  • All other stats currently at default/Official levels.

Server Amenities

• Community Center (Current as of 12/14/2017) A sort of safe haven. Currently located in South Zone 1. Currently on The Footpaw. (The large southern island that has an inlet that does not cut through to rivers. With the lake that's on the map that doesn't exist.) approx. 80,35 on Map.
    • New Player Starter Kits - One-time starter kit with primitive metal tools and hide armor to get you started. Upon joining the server, you'll be given a crate number and PIN to retrieve your goodies. 
    • Refreshments - Running water and fridges stocked with cooked meat. Minimal items to keep players fed/hydrated while in social areas. Don't be a mooch. This will be on the honor system. Don't empty it every time you come by, please.
    • Trading Area - (TBD) - Will contain pin-coded chests to allow players to trade securely. Working on details for mechanics without having multiple admins to facilitate trades. I'm sure by the time we have high-stakes trades warranting admin-oversight we will have this all figured out.
    • Raffles - (TBD) There will be raffles. Prizes will vary. Mechanics still being worked out. This post will be updated with specifics when these go live. 
  • Arena - (To be Built)  This will be a place where we can have tournament-style contests. We'll fight Dinos, each other, and put on fun gigs to keep a sense of community. There will be prizes. There will be fun.
  • Vaults - There are  heavily defended, metal enclosed structures containing vaults. Currently there are only 8 of them. For those of us who wish to not participate in PvP events or have some precious items we can't afford to lose, vaults are going to be available for rental. (in-game rental, no real currency). Probably at a cost of "x" ingots per week. While these are under heavy guard, they are not impenetrable. Please note: purposefully attacking this structure will result in admin intervention. This is meant to be a place of refuge for those who are not interested in the PvP aspect of our community. While I encourage and embrace it, let's respect each others' play styles. The first set of these are currently located at the Community Center.
  • PVP -
    • Tribe wars will be enabled. For those of you who want a more regular PvP experience, you're more than welcome to engage in tribe wars. Please note, all members of tribes can be engaged, so consider this in your tribe wars. If two sides agree to a tribe war, admins will not intervene. War at your own risk. 
    • PvP events - PvP events will be held regularly.
      • PvP will be opened up regularly and periodically for us to hash out our favorite pass-time, killing each other off with ridiculous creatures and weapons. The first few will be a test to gauge how well-received PvP is on this server. 
      • While there are vaults, bases unfortunately will be vulnerable during PvP events. We ask that PvP'ers do our best to let be those who are not participating, but some collateral damage is to be expected. It is war, after all..
      • We will do our best to keep these contained. I know there are some of us who prefer a full PvE experience. This is what the Vault system is for. These are fully enclosed metal structures under heavy guard. These are meant as a deterrent. These are no-go structures for PvP
      • I'm looking for feedback on how to have a tangible measure for performance in the PvP. I would like to have an award system for success in PvP
      • Depending on reception of PvP, that may become a future clustered server all its own. 
  • REAL ESTATE - Currently, I have one community center and a wooden shanty built. The entire island is open. 
    • Use your head. Be courteous. Try to stay out of render from one another when building bases. Not a hard-line rule, but don't be a jerk.
    • Don't be the guy who builds over the major metal, obsidian, and crystal nodes.
    • Not going to pillar anything off. For now, I'm trusting you all to use your better judgement. Leave some open space on meat beach and the mountains for us to gather resources.
    • First come, first serve. We are not reserving plots of land, allocating regions of the map. We're doing homestead rights. If you can get there, build on it, and defend it, it is yours. 
  • BASIC CODE OF CONDUCT
    • Don't be an a**
    • All ages are welcome, however we do not guarantee a profanity or obscenity free environment. Use your judgment. If you're playing in shared space with your family, and someone drops an F-Bomb in your living room, that's on you. Again, all ages are welcome, does not mean all of us are age-appropriate. 
    • Trolling - Not OK. Remember, this is a private server. We're all here because we want to be. Friendly competition, trash-talking, giving each other a hard time in good fun is all encouraged. Bullying, trolling, or otherwise being abusive will not be tolerated. 
    • Griefing/Dragging - This is not how we want to settle disputes on our server. If you have a problem with something someone is doing, please, confront them, address it with an admin if you need to. Please don't be the one dragging a Giga/Titanosaur across the map.
  • ADMIN ABUSE - This one is a real kicker. Right now, I'm the only admin. I have no desire to admin-command my way to the top. I enjoy playing the game, and enjoy the community of the game. Frankly I don't care to be the strongest or weakest. As long as I'm having fun doing my thing over here. Admin abuse will not be tolerated. Confirmed abuse will result in immediate removal of admin rights. Things admin powers should be used for include, but are not exclusive to:
    • Heroic deeds, like stopping a meteor, or rescuing damsels in distress from towers in far away lands.
    • Also, Bug issues, like flying/ghosting to retrieve dinos/objects that have fallen through the map floor. 
    • Replacing dinos or items that may have fallen through map floor or are unrecoverable.
    • Building (infrastructure) - We may occasionally use admin powers to help build community structures, like the community center, more quickly. (Resources are NOT to be used for personal gain of the admin)
    • Rolling back servers to remedy losses caused as a direct result of server errors/issues, game bugs, or admin activity. (Not because you decided to go hunting for Pegomastax with a stack of quetz eggs in your inventory) If you get ARK'ed, we'll help. If you make stoopids, we won't. 
    • Overseeing large trades (if requested by parties) to ensure no scamming - again, I think we're a little ways off from that point. 
    • Helping players to get unstuck.
    • As mentioned previously, Admin rights are not for sale. Admins will be asked to share with the workload based on a trust/participation/availability scale.
    • Policing shenanigans. Disallowing fun and/or recreational activities.

Growth Outlook 

These are goals for milestones to hit, but not necessarily set in stone. We can achieve any one of these more quickly or slowly depending on server growth. I want the growth to be natural, not forced. This also outlines when we may have to take a look at costs.

• Q1 2018 - 15+ regular players at any given time. 
    • Would like to have consistent player base utilizing full 10 slots (estimated 12-15 players) necessitating 20 slot upgrades
    • Addition of second, clustered server, depending on server population. Map to be determined by community vote. (10 Slots) 15-20 regular players across both servers
  • Q2 2018 - 30-40 regular players at any given time. 
    • Upgrade of second server to 20 slots.
    • At this point, I'll likely look to community to help share in the costs of maintaining multiple servers. Costs will be spread thin, so each player's contribution would be very little. I'll also keep very public records of how much is in the kitty to maintain and grow these servers. I'm estimating between $1-$5 per month.
    • Addition of third clustered server (20 slots, no need to scale down at this level) map will again be chosen by community vote.

How do I Join?

Easy, just message and friend me on XBOX Live: Pr0jektile

(That's a zero)

I'm starting this because I  really enjoyed playing Ark, with some of my real-life friends and some people I'd just met on Live throughout the years. The game is loads of fun and has potential to last a long time with a big player base. I want this server to be a place where players can have fun, hang out, and not worry about the nonsensical stuff that goes on on public and official servers. A lot of this will be just how our personalities come together. Cooperation is encouraged, friendly competition is encouraged. If this sounds like an environment you're interested in, get at me. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Freakofnature said:

I am a new player. I have ben playing around on my own. I would like to join ya. So if ya want a nooby I am your man. I am not sure exactly how to join. I have tried to many times on the server page. I always get a fail with unknown error.

Hey, Freakofnature. 

Sorry to hear about your troubles finding the server/getting logged on. I'm not sure why you're getting errors. Were you able to actually find the server? It does have a password, so you'll need that. Send me a friend request at my Gamer Tag: Pr0jektile and I'll shoot you the details on how to get in if you hit me up on my Gamertag. I can also send you an invite directly to help get you in there at least for the first time.  After that, if you have it  in favorites it shouldn't be an issue. 

No worries about being new. We're a laid back community. Server population is still pretty low, so no troubles getting you in the game and there should be plenty of room to get your feet underneath you.

Thanks for the consideration!

3 hours ago, Freakofnature said:

I did a search for the server and got nothing. I even tried to find it going one by one. They all had numbers after Theisland. I will send ya a friend request:)

OK, you'll need to send me a friend request or message on XBOX Live anyways, because it is password protected.

Also, be sure when you're searching that you  change the session filter to "Unofficial PC Sessions". 

image.thumb.png.197d9b1273d153abebcd6cfcfbcd40aa.png

Archived