So about that Old Dino TLC pass...

ShinigamiGreed

20 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

The new model looks awesome! I love it. As others have said though, the updated visuals will be wasted if his abilities aren't brought up to par

I agree :/ Some of them (i.e. Direwolf) don't really need new abilities, but stuff like the Rex and Squatch could definitely use some love. My bucket list for tames I'm hoping they revisit with new visuals and/or abilities include Trike, Stego, Bronto, Diplo, Carbonemys, Carno, Giga, Ichthy, Manta, Liopleurodon, Lymantria, Megaloceros, Mesopithecus, Pachy, Parasaur, Plesio, Scorpion, Sarco, Raptor/Terror Bird, and Woolly Rhino

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think this TLC pass is a good opportunity to re-do the Giga, currently it out classes so many other combat Dino's; Rexes, spinos, therizenos, yutys, pack boosted allos, rock golems, and all the larger aberration creatures are fairly well balanced with each other but the Giga beats all. It's just a terribly unbalanced concept to have something that is simply made to be so much better than everything the devs can't keep nerfing it it needs to be re thought out. I think it should be similar in power and size to a Rex or slightly better with a rage mechanic that at first just increases damage. Only near death or upon death it will dismount the rider and do a huge AOE effect to everything, enemies and allies.

1 hour ago, Varanus8 said:

Anyone else think this TLC pass is a good opportunity to re-do the Giga, currently it out classes so many other combat Dino's; Rexes, spinos, therizenos, yutys, pack boosted allos, rock golems, and all the larger aberration creatures are fairly well balanced wier but the Giga beats all. It's just a terribly unbalanced concept to have something that is simply made to be so much better than everything the devs can't keep nerfing it it needs to be re thought out. I think it should be similar in power and size to a Rex or slightly better with a rage mechanic that at first just increases damage. Only near death or upon death it will dismount the rider and do a huge AOE effect to everything, enemies and allies.

They could rework the Giga in to what it was in reality.
In ARK, it's far too big. Giganotosaurus was not larger than the Rex, it was a bit smaller. 

21 minutes ago, Orion said:

In ARK, it's far too big. Giganotosaurus was not larger than the Rex, it was a bit smaller. 

It was 10%~ bigger then the Rex. Of coarse, not 10x bigger like in game, but not smaller either. I wonder how much the ark Giga would weigh in real life? Probably like 150 ton's. Lol, at the Titanosaur, that would weigh in the kiloton range... :Jerbmad:

51 minutes ago, Orion said:

Considering the giga species (same as the rex) ingame never existed in real life saying the giga is too big in Ark isn't  technically correct (species flat out didnt exist to my knowledge). I would argue for a reducing in size of a giga just because of the nerfs haha

2 hours ago, Varanus8 said:

Anyone else think this TLC pass is a good opportunity to re-do the Giga, currently it out classes so many other combat Dino's; Rexes, spinos, therizenos, yutys, pack boosted allos, rock golems, and all the larger aberration creatures are fairly well balanced with each other but the Giga beats all. It's just a terribly unbalanced concept to have something that is simply made to be so much better than everything the devs can't keep nerfing it it needs to be re thought out. I think it should be similar in power and size to a Rex or slightly better with a rage mechanic that at first just increases damage. Only near death or upon death it will dismount the rider and do a huge AOE effect to everything, enemies and allies.

Same with the theri, putting a high taming bar on something does nothing to balance its abilities re other dinos once it is tamed. And frankly, taming difficulty in Ark starts at a pretty low bar. The hardest tames in Ark are the passive tames imo. 

56 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

Same with the theri, putting a high taming bar on something does nothing to balance its abilities re other dinos once it is tamed. And frankly, taming difficulty in Ark starts at a pretty low bar. The hardest tames in Ark are the passive tames imo. 

Should try out the new Reaper tame :) 

But I'd personally like the Giga to be the shield to the Rex's sword. A little tankier and weaker up front, but with extended battles and beatings, it gets stronger and stronger until it's an absolute monster. Goal would be to kill it quickly with a few, hard-hitting attacks

31 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Should try out the new Reaper tame :) 

But I'd personally like the Giga to be the shield to the Rex's sword. A little tankier and weaker up front, but with extended battles and beatings, it gets stronger and stronger until it's an absolute monster. Goal would be to kill it quickly with a few, hard-hitting attacks

No thanks, I'm playing Ragnarok atm. While I appreciate the theme and significant gameplay developments of Aberration, as a sci-fi guy I'm disappointed to see vanilla dinos in it. And I'm also not enthused about paying to switch to a later version before the game I've supported for years has had its promise finally realized.  I am hoping the TLC pass brings us up to the next level with that, and I've posted that in the Announcement thread here fyi.  If you're interested:

4 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Considering the giga species (same as the rex) ingame never existed in real life saying the giga is too big in Ark isn't  technically correct (species flat out didnt exist to my knowledge). I would argue for a reducing in size of a giga just because of the nerfs haha

Giganotosaurus was a species of apex predator native to what is now Argentina (same timeline as both the Argentinosaur, which is the titanosaur in Ark, and the Quetzal) and was smaller than a T-Rex in height, but was heavier in bulk.  Its frame was more elongated and theory places it as a potential pack animal.  Based on the limited fragments found, it's height would by shy of the first leg joint on the Argentinosaur.  

Had to watch an hour long documentary on Argentina dino's while parenting my son's field trip last year lol.  Was into Ark at the time, and a bit shocked to see so many of the big creatures of the game displayed as factually based (except for the Giga's absurd proportions lol).   

Quetz actually seems to be almost perfectly proportionate to the real models projected dimensions.  

*After more poking around, the video showed the Argentinosaurus as much larger than current depictions (older video).  New theory shows it being much longer, rather than tall.  Wish they would just stick with a theory until evidence changes, rather than keep rehashing the same crap. lol

32 minutes ago, PhilNGraves said:

Giganotosaurus was a species of apex predator native to what is now Argentina (same timeline as both the Argentinosaur, which is the titanosaur in Ark, and the Quetzal) and was smaller than a T-Rex in height, but was heavier in bulk.  Its frame was more elongated and theory places it as a potential pack animal.  Based on the limited fragments found, it's height would by shy of the first leg joint on the Argentinosaur.  

Had to watch an hour long documentary on Argentina dino's while parenting my son's field trip last year lol.  Was into Ark at the time, and a bit shocked to see so many of the big creatures of the game displayed as factually based (except for the Giga's absurd proportions lol).   

Quetz actuall seems to be almost perfectly proportionate to the real models projected dimensions.  

Yeah my explanation of the taxonomy was a bit rubbish there. I know about the real world giga and the rough ecology and time frame of it. Gigantosaurus isnt the species level of the creature, its the genus level. To my knowledge (and by knowledge I mean wikepdia because palentology isnt my strong suite lol) there is only one species discovered so far by science in the genus Gigantosaurus in real life 'Gigantosaurus carolinii'.  Carolinni being the species name while Gigantosaurus being the genus. In ark we have a seperate species 'Gigantosaurus furiosa' (see dossier for scientific name) i.e. the species furiosa in the genus Gigantosaurus. This species does not exist in real life, only G. carolinni existed.  With the addition of the ark species with have two separate Gigantosaurus species. By that I mean we have two seperate creatures genetically similiar to place them in the same genus but genetically distinct to mark them as separate species.

Same goes for the rex. The rex we know in real life is Tyrannosaurus rex (T rex for short). The rex in game is Tyrannosaurus dominium (T dominium for short), it never existed. Different species in the same genus.

All species in the game are made up species but marked into the same genus as their real life counterpart. With the exception of the kentro which retains both its real life genus and species name.

11 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Yeah my explanation of the taxonomy was a bit rubbish there. I know about the real world giga and the rough ecology and time frame of it. Gigantosaurus isnt the species level of the creature, its the genus level. To my knowledge (and by knowledge I mean wikepdia because palentology isnt my strong suite lol) there is only one species discovered so far by science in the genus Gigantosaurus in real life 'Gigantosaurus carolinii'.  Carolinni being the species name while Gigantosaurus being the genus. In ark we have a seperate species 'Gigantosaurus furiosa' (see dossier for scientific name) i.e. the species furiosa in the genus Gigantosaurus. This species does not exist in real life, only G. carolinni existed.  With the addition of the ark species with have two separate Gigantosaurus species. By that I mean we have two seperate creatures genetically similiar to place them in the same genus but genetically distinct to mark them as separate species.

Same goes for the rex. The rex we know in real life is Tyrannosaurus rex (T rex for short). The rex in game is Tyrannosaurus dominium (T dominium for short), it never existed. Different species in the same genus.

All species in the game are made up species but marked into the same genus as their real life counterpart. With the exception of the kentro which retains both its real life genus and species name.

Ahh the freedom of using made up species of a pre-defined genus.  Quite a stroke of brilliance on whoever at WC thought that one up.  Both artistic freedom and semi-factual basis.  

Most genus consist of a single species (reptilian anyway) and some are sub-classed half a dozen times before they ever get to genus (sauropods).  Honestly, species naming in palaeontology seems more for the purpost of getting your name affixed to something than to actually sub-class it as descriptively seperate from its genus.  

Hell, the Titanosaur in Ark is a sub-class of the third clade of a sub-order of Saurichia...  seriously DILO... makes you think palaeontologists just make this crap up with no idea whats going on lol.  

Anyway, I see what you meant about the species being realistic.  Sadly the trike in Ark is pretty bad ass, but is 2 different genus combined.  Still looks sick as hell though.  

Personally I like that they make dino's more bad ass, just not a big fan of the tardo overscaling them.  I mean bigger is cool for kicks, but smaller is actually a fair deal more frightening when you really think about it... 

11 minutes ago, PhilNGraves said:

Ahh the freedom of using made up species of a pre-defined genus.  Quite a stroke of brilliance on whoever at WC thought that one up.  Both artistic freedom and semi-factual basis.  

Most genus consist of a single species (reptilian anyway) and some are sub-classed half a dozen times before they ever get to genus (sauropods).  Honestly, species naming in palaeontology seems more for the purpost of getting your name affixed to something than to actually sub-class it as descriptively seperate from its genus.  

Hell, the Titanosaur in Ark is a sub-class of the third clade of a sub-order of Saurichia...  seriously DILO... makes you think palaeontologists just make this crap up with no idea whats going on lol.  

Anyway, I see what you meant about the species being realistic.  Sadly the trike in Ark is pretty bad ass, but is 2 different genus combined.  Still looks sick as hell though.  

Personally I like that they make dino's more bad ass, just not a big fan of the tardo overscaling them.  I mean bigger is cool for kicks, but smaller is actually a fair deal more frightening when you really think about it... 

It was a genius move and I am.really glad they did it. Complete freedom to do what they want with a species and not be out of date a few years down the line with the next scientific discovery comes along. Also I like the effort they accutually put into creating creatures and coming up with species names etc. Even better people couldnt complain about the species being inaccurate... oh wait :D

Clasiffying species seems.... Interesting in paleontolgy. Seems very subjective if you ask me. I guess your right got to get your name on a species lol Bones will only get you so far clasaifying species. Love the debate for example over the trike vs torosaur or pachy vs stygimoloch vs dracorex just being the same animals in different parts of the life cycle. 

Looking forward to what the tlc has to offer.

Archived