Aberration 'Portal' starter area totally usless?!

thisispreston

So after messing about on Tues night and basically giving up cos of the invisible dinos, we loaded up the new build of the game and spawned in to what is now labelled as Easiest on the spawn map. The area called Portal.

Very cool looking area, and very cool to actually arrive on an Ark 'through' a portal, so to speak (I dunno if it's like that on Scorched Earth too), and also almost entirely passive animals except for a few lone raptors which quickly got themselves killed by stegos, plenty of wood and stone and other resources.... it really is the perfect starter area.

However, unless we are missing something all of this becomes irrelevant as the area is actually completely worthless. You can't build anywhere in this area, like at all, and the water situation is ridiculous, there is NONE in the entire area, not a single drop, and the nearest water is so far down the other end you are practically dead by the time you get there and that's before mentioning the creatures IN that first bit of water.

You have to be riiiight at the very far end to where you spawn in to build anything, just before the small tunnel that leads out, but the area you have there is so tiny, even for just the 5 of us. On top of this when you head out of that small tunnel into the main part of the map, to somewhere you can actually build, and somewhere that has water, you have to jump of the bridge and are immediately dropped into a Hard zone... seriously?! You're only option is to jump down into a lake full of spinos, karkinos and sarcos to get your first drop of water or find a spot to even build a starter base?

All this on top of the invisible dinos, now the Xbox server saving issue. Two days in and achieved nothing at all except a tribe log that is entirely red and arguments about what to do.

We're on player dedi on Xbox, with just the 5 of us, so if there is a way to allow building in that first area, I would love to know! I honestly don't see how you get started otherwise, all 3 of the Easy spawns at Fertile Lake weren't much better. There was obviously plenty of water but there was  basilisks everywhere, a total of 5 across the 3 FL Easy spawns. We've never had the starter issue this bad on other maps, and before someone gives some "help"....it's not like we're noobs or anything, we've played through a couple of games on The Island, one on The Center and one on Ragnarok before this.

Rant over. :)

The portal spawn is an area not meant to be built in but to prepare to set out into the actual proper areas. not sure if player dedicated can change anything to allow building in that zone unfortunately.

The aquatic mushroom was bugged and did not give water when consumed... on the pc that should be fixed and I think and the consoles have to wait a bit for it to be fixed [which kinda sucks].

I agree, the Portal could at least use some “puddles” so new players could drink, but I like the no-building, as it at least leaves one spawn area unblockable for new players. This allows them to at least tame a parasaur or something before journeying into the deeper part of the ARK. Also, Fertile lake 2 seems to be the safest, but it certainly isn’t completely safe. Just stay clear of any karkinos or ravagers and you should be fine.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Ahhh OK, well the aquatic mushroom bug does explain some of it then, we did think it was weird something called aquatic did nothing for your water! We just felt like we were immediately being forced out of that area and straight into a hard area because of it.

And I get the no building in the area, especially on official or public servers, but that area is huge I don't know why the no-build takes up like 95% of it? Surely building down off to the sides, off the metal structure that runs through the middle would be OK? I don't know, I've never really played on official or anything so I don't know how bad the situation is with that stuff. Would have been nice to be able to turn off the no-build in that area as it's just the 5 of us on the whole map but I couldn't see a way to do it.

Fertile Lake spawns were no-go, like I said we're not noobs, we know there is nowhere totally safe but you still need somewhere that is safe, within reason. But the basilisk situation was out of control at Fertile Lake, from tribe log, we could tell there was 5 from the different levels, and those things don't mess around! A few raptors, or scorpions or something, you can deal with, but a level 90 basilisk?! Forget about it! I guess we will try the Mushroom Forest next.... it feels like it's the only way we'll get to see any other part of the map at this rate!

Now if they could just fix the Xbox bug of the server not saving when I turn off the server console we could maybe give it a proper go *sigh*

I think the OP is a little dramatic about the water. Just eat mushrooms. And if you’re running out before you reach the waterhole down the road you’re running around too much at lower level or you didn’t put any points into your waters stat when you transferred your character. The whole not building there I love. It means less tribes blocking spawn areas. At least for portal. 

Take this for example. When the immigrants who arrived on ships from Europe to United States of America did they Stake land right off the ship? No, they were directed by promise of land on the frontier and told to go out and claim your land before anyone else! Not exactly ark but I liked to think it was this way first day

7 hours ago, ArkCreation said:

I think the OP is a little dramatic about the water. Just eat mushrooms. And if you’re running out before you reach the waterhole down the road you’re running around too much at lower level or you didn’t put any points into your waters stat when you transferred your character. The whole not building there I love. It means less tribes blocking spawn areas. At least for portal. 

Take this for example. When the immigrants who arrived on ships from Europe to United States of America did they Stake land right off the ship? No, they were directed by promise of land on the frontier and told to go out and claim your land before anyone else! Not exactly ark but I liked to think it was this way first day

Unfortunately mushrooms give you 0 water still on Xbox even after the patch. 

On 12/14/2017 at 7:28 AM, thisispreston said:

So after messing about on Tues night and basically giving up cos of the invisible dinos, we loaded up the new build of the game and spawned in to what is now labelled as Easiest on the spawn map. The area called Portal.

Very cool looking area, and very cool to actually arrive on an Ark 'through' a portal, so to speak (I dunno if it's like that on Scorched Earth too), and also almost entirely passive animals except for a few lone raptors which quickly got themselves killed by stegos, plenty of wood and stone and other resources.... it really is the perfect starter area.

However, unless we are missing something all of this becomes irrelevant as the area is actually completely worthless. You can't build anywhere in this area, like at all, and the water situation is ridiculous, there is NONE in the entire area, not a single drop, and the nearest water is so far down the other end you are practically dead by the time you get there and that's before mentioning the creatures IN that first bit of water.

You have to be riiiight at the very far end to where you spawn in to build anything, just before the small tunnel that leads out, but the area you have there is so tiny, even for just the 5 of us. On top of this when you head out of that small tunnel into the main part of the map, to somewhere you can actually build, and somewhere that has water, you have to jump of the bridge and are immediately dropped into a Hard zone... seriously?! You're only option is to jump down into a lake full of spinos, karkinos and sarcos to get your first drop of water or find a spot to even build a starter base?

All this on top of the invisible dinos, now the Xbox server saving issue. Two days in and achieved nothing at all except a tribe log that is entirely red and arguments about what to do.

We're on player dedi on Xbox, with just the 5 of us, so if there is a way to allow building in that first area, I would love to know! I honestly don't see how you get started otherwise, all 3 of the Easy spawns at Fertile Lake weren't much better. There was obviously plenty of water but there was  basilisks everywhere, a total of 5 across the 3 FL Easy spawns. We've never had the starter issue this bad on other maps, and before someone gives some "help"....it's not like we're noobs or anything, we've played through a couple of games on The Island, one on The Center and one on Ragnarok before this.

Rant over. :)

I don't know what you're smoking, but when I spawned into the portal, I was greeted by raptors, carnos, and 2 raptoring basilisks.

12 hours ago, ArkCreation said:

Not really dramatic, the aquatic mushrooms don't do anything for you on Xbox, in fact, they actually drain your water slightly, not give it too you. This is essentially what was screwing us over, if they had worked properly, the water situation would have been fine. Other people had the same problem.

And like I said, I get the no building on officials or public servers, but it just sucks there's no way to enable it (like cave building or cave flyers) when there is just the 5 of us on the map!

To be honest, the main frustration for us right now is that we literally can't play Aberration due to the Xbox dedi save issue so we're just sat waiting for that :(

Haha. I tried this map for the first time last night. I was like let me start where they say the easiest so I can take in the sights and see what new stuff there was. Then I found myself running out of water and none in sight. I had to battle raptors and run from basilisks to finally jump off a cliff to find water. 

I would like like to say that wasn’t the easiest of starts maybe even tougher than SE.  You would think where mushrooms grow there would be some type of moisture. I also play on Xbox so the mushrooms didn’t help with my thirst. 

Archived