VioNectro

Aberration underwater massive FPS drop.

I don't know if this is reported yet, but I'm experiencing massive FPS drops when going under water in Aberration. I am running on a 1080Ti @ 1440p and get a average with my settings of ~75-85 fps, however when I stick my head underwater that rate of 75-85fps comes crashing down to 20-25fps. I suspect there's something not optimized right there or it may be something specific to some setting configurations that's raising some issue. Some others on steam forums had experienced the same: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/2549465882914792140/

I will try to get a screen cap of my settings when I get home a bit later, will attach it here.

Same when testing Singleplayer 2 days ago. Running at 1440p windowed with Titan X gives me 60-70 fps, going into water it drops to ~22 fps. A friend with a GTX1070 and most recent drivers doesn't have the issue (running only in 1080p, tho). But reading issues only with high-end cards in this thread, I assume this must be something connected to these cards.

I have all settings and sliders maxed, except for shadows, which are set to High.

I think this may be related to how detailed the water ponds look underwater. They are crystal clear with really nice details, unlike the oceans on TheIsland or TheCenter, where it's rather dark and foggy-like.

Same here, with gtx 1080 ti oc strix, ddr4 3600 mhz 32gb, ssd dedicate i7 7700k 4,9ghz, on earth 70 fps, underwater 20,, running with monitor 3440x1440p 21:9, max resolution, if reduce post processing it gain fps from 20 to 40. That issue only aberration map, into the other map the game run fast always at 60/70 fps

Edited by reled

On 2017-12-20 at 10:19 AM, reled said:

Same here, with gtx 1080 ti oc strix, ddr4 3600 mhz 32gb, ssd dedicate i7 7700k 4,9ghz, on earth 70 fps, underwater 20,, running with monitor 3440x1440p 21:9, max resolution, if reduce post processing it gain fps from 20 to 40. That issue only aberration map, into the other map the game run fast always at 60/70 fps

+1 on this post. I only have a 1080, about the same specs on the rest and same issues. Works fine on other maps than Aberration.

40 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Thanks, does this happen to you everywhere under water or just specific locations?

It happens in all water areas in Aberration, and only in cave water on Island and Ragnarok.

It looks like I'm looking through really cold water, where my eyeballs are semi-frozen and hazy. It's a weird effect (looks kinda neat). But it kills fps hard.

1 hour ago, marcpullen said:

It happens in all water areas in Aberration, and only in cave water on Island and Ragnarok.

It looks like I'm looking through really cold water, where my eyeballs are semi-frozen and hazy. It's a weird effect (looks kinda neat). But it kills fps hard.

Could I see know the following please:

- Computer settings (you can get these off dxdiag)

- In game settings

- Whether you launch with any special command parameters?

1 minute ago, Jatheish said:

Could I see know the following please:

- Computer settings (you can get these off dxdiag)

- In game settings

- Whether you launch with any special command parameters?

I was resetting in game to test default and get you that info, and it surprisingly ran great underwater in the same water as my video.

I toyed with the various settings and found it was specifically post processing. If I set it to high or epic, FPS tanks hard. On medium or lower it runs ok.

I don't run with any command line params, and was able to reproduce and clear the issue with everything on epic, and set post processing to medium or low to make it run ok.

Looks like post processing needs some polishing up.

Did you need more info, or is that enough?

5 minutes ago, marcpullen said:

I was resetting in game to test default and get you that info, and it surprisingly ran great underwater in the same water as my video.

I toyed with the various settings and found it was specifically post processing. If I set it to high or epic, FPS tanks hard. On medium or lower it runs ok.

I don't run with any command line params, and was able to reproduce and clear the issue with everything on epic, and set post processing to medium or low to make it run ok.

Looks like post processing needs some polishing up.

Did you need more info, or is that enough?

That's helpful info, thanks!

Is everyone else here noticing the same thing?

Have 1080 Ti in SLI and experience same issue.  Maximum settings/sliders and all tick boxes (quality settings) no motion blur or film grain at 3840x2160 getting around 43 - 55fps on ground.  As soon as I'm under water it drops to 13-15 fps.

System specs:

I7 8700k

16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14

2x Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Edition

Just tried the post processing set to medium as someone suggested earlier, fps only drops to 34 under water now.

Edited by Joeeye