So is Aberration fun?

Z0mbie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its certainly a different style of play to the standard Island where I jump on my REX and the world is my oyster or  I can mount my Argentivis and go exploring in relative safety.

In Aberration I started of as a new character, no imports and as beautiful as the bio luminescent environment is I found it to be very painful to get started.  Started off in the easiest portal right at the start - died a few times just trying to find water.  Finally followed the track and it breaks and its a long drop into a lake where I started building my first "home".

After taming up a couple of raptor guard dogs and a few bulb dogs for light I felt that I could explore a little more when the game then introduces me to a pack of Ravagers... no more Raptors but I managed to survive and escape. 

Wow them things are strong so maybe I should try and tame myself one.  Re-spawn at base and immediately see a level 75 not far from my yard so I ramp up to my yard wall and standing atop the ramp I shoot an tranq arrow in its direction - it runs at me, it clips my wall and bites me on top of the ramp 3 walls high!! Dead again.  Bed cooldown in place I spawn back at the beginners portal, run the maglev track and drop into the water - the thing is still aggro onto my body trying to attack through the wall and I manage to get past it and back into base.  Hangon, this thing is literally clipping half its body through my perimeter wall and seems to be hitting my glowdog so maybe I can hit it the same way?  I loot my dead body and sure enough I can hit this thing through the wall whenever it pops its head in and after a few arrows its KO.

I manage to saddle up my new beast and head out to find more raptor guard dogs to tame - come across a baselisk.. oh crap.. Ravagers don't seem very strong once tamed.. dead Ravager, dead me!  Spend the next few hours just staying near base, running whenever anything hostile appears whilst trying to collect resources, build the base and level myself so I'm a little less squishy. 

At this point it's almost 1am again and a school night (work again on Monday) so I log, join my Island server, feed my Titan and do a meat and berry run to stock up my troughs and log for the night.  To sum it up I would have to say YES - it is fun, even though painfully difficult at first, and worth the money spent.  Only thing we have planned for Island this week is Gamma Dragon again and another attempt at Gamma Tek Cave/Overseer but think most of the week will be spent in Aberration expanding and exploring more.

As the title suggests, what do you think of this new and challenging DLC?

I for one want to congratulate WC on making the game challenging again.

IMPO this is how survival games are supposed to be, to challenge and evolve the way you play the game and not run of the mill easy play styles that we have all got accustomed to.

Declining all but your survivor to transfer into the ark should have been how all transfers worked on other maps and if you want to transfer out then pay the price!

I would like to know how others feel about it though as our server we've landed on seems to have a lot of whingers on it, crying because they cant get their character back to their "not so difficult" server and rage quitting.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:45 PM, Z0mbie said:

I guess I'd rather have a short earthquake than fog for 5 minutes, but that's just me. I'm kinda getting excited to try it out soon.

I'm at work right now and I'm dieing inside wanting to get back to it.  I'd recommend spawning in one of the hard areas if you like a good challenge that'll certainly do it.  Try taming a Ravenger as quickly as you can, saddle I think is level 47.  That way you can get around a bit because where I'm stationed on the map in Edge 4 I find myself not venturing too far in fear of getting killed LOL.

I’d much rather play on ragnorok.... I got this DLC and less than a week it’s lack luster at best.... I have a tribe of 8 and we went really hard to get our base established but after taming 7-8 of the new Dino’s doing 2 of the 3 caves we were like... is this it? It’s very underwhelming experience to say the very least. 

On 12/13/2017 at 2:36 AM, Brayn said:

I'd say wait a week and see how things shake out through public opinion.  It's a new shiny object for sure and some of the dinos seem cool from a PvE perspective.

I spent 6 hours playing it and struggled solo.  Like scorched, there's several dinos that don't have kibble available for them on the map, like Paracers and Spinos.

I'd wait until there's enough info out there to answer questions like where's metal, pearls, oil and organic poly, among others.  Not saying a walkthrough guide is needed, but having answers to where crap is after you spend hours looking may make the experience all around more fun.

Climbing gear breaks stupid fast too, so it's just meh.

This is is usually  what you should be using for finding resources. I'll respect the gamer that doesn't use this and completely goes in naked without googling it. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Resource_Map_(Aberration)

Aberration is excellent. I am loving everything about it. The new mechanics feel really solid where I would have expected more issues. 

The no flyer thing is also excellent, it brings that sense of danger to the table that the base game lacks due to rushing a ptera tame being so easy. I would really love to see more of this style in future DLCs.

The map is absolutely gorgeous and well thought out. It has instantly became my 2nd favorite (the island always has #1 spot for nostalgia and its natural/primitive charm)

The music is excellent, Gareth doing an incredible job as always, and always beautifully tying in the original ark theme music with a new spin/style.

Overall, this is a fantastic DLC and well worth the money. Anyone who feels Ark got stale for them, will surely find Aberration to be a very fresh experience, while still being true to that good ol ark "feel".

Huge kudos to WC for this one, it went beyond my expectations and everyone I talk to seems to be loving it as well ❤

Lately I was burned out on The Island and Ragnarok, but on Ab it feels fresh again. Really interesting and beautiful map. I know the map hates me, but I like it. I'm just missing my beaver and therizino. They were my best friends.?

Relying on raw mutton for highest taming efficiency is nothing I like. I know they aren't rare on Ab, but sometimes I don't find any. Found a 145 spino but no sheep to tame it.

Ravagers start to piss me off. They are small, quiet, dark and hard to see in grassland, chase you forever, and their slow down/bleed attack is super annoying. I tamed my first battle mount only today, so I was always doing everything on foot and they were sabotaging me a lot. Also sometimes they jump the same moment I throw my bola. 

Another thing I dislike is that there's no water on the higher levels from what I've seen, just on the ground. Wish there was small water ponds. I found a big flat area on the second level under those big humming crystals, so the area is always illuminated, but I will have to build a looong pipe system to the river on the ground. 

Those are just minor complains though. Overall I really enjoy the DLC. Good job Wildcard. ?

Me personally this is my opinion. An Opinion. And i recognize not everyone shares the same perspectives..

Played on it everyday since it came out.. Simple issues that are fixed the next time i login.. So im pretty happy about that.. Kibble is one complaint i have.. But on my unofficial its not a problem for taming stuff 10xTame and ovis spawns are x3 for mutton.. Its usually just the imprinting that causes issues

I LOVE how there is no flyers (aside from featherlights and untameable seeker).. It forces the player to Learn and Adapt, exactly what ARK itself is suppoed to do, Evolve. No more of that wyvern controlled airways or quetz farming or ptera spinroll battleformations or griffin nerf issues...Explain to me how using flyers to EasyMode all the landscapes and environmental hazards is teaching the player anything.. To me its a mindset "if i can continue doing what i am comfortable and used to doing.. Why change?" To me its a form of complacency.. I understand why some ppl find it Nice to fly, takes less time and stay safe but thats not the point of aberration.. Im happy with the transfer rule and lack of flying if i want my argy back id go to literally any of the other maps and fly for a bit.

Climbing picks are one of the best tools ARK has ever added.. And add a glider skin, and you wont really need a mount to travel the airways (climbing upwards jumping and gliding away)

The new dinos are awesome, rollrat needs weight buff but otherwise its FAST.. Ravagers ziplining is awesome, and the kark is very common and all around a great mount.

I got a reaper recently, struggled pretty hard.. 2 ppl tagteam.. Died lots and lost a few tames and drakes.. And it was even a low lvl so im excited to get a high lvl one next

The biomes are amazing.. And luckily i had installed my Gtx 1080 before AB came out and my god i am amazed with maxed out 4k aberration graphics.. Even light blooms and water textures are amazing..

I was super bored with the same old same old ark on TheIsland SE rag valhalla and the centre aberration is very very different. And i am very happy with it.

Archived