So is Aberration fun?

Z0mbie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moonie1 said:

Every bit of enjoyment comes to an end each time a Earthquake hits. Its like WC just couldnt get rid of fog and not replace it with something that screws over uninterrupted enjoyment.

you don't HAVE to stop what you're doing, Sure, you may miss out on a good tool or resource, but overall you can generally keep about your business.

Im actually having a blast in aberration.. Only one bug where i once logged in and fell through the world.. Otherwise its amazing.. I recently got a gtx1080 before AB came out and everything is so gorgeous... Rock picks and parachutes are cool, gliders neat but gotta equip to high durability armor otherwise crash.. My favorite part.. No fliers. Makes the game completely different experience.

I personally love ark for the prehistoric creatures and the rather primitive survival and pvp. Im not really into the futuristic/fantasy stuff. So Aberration with its whole setup regarding the map, the fantasy creatures and that weird charge mechanic and the focus on tek tier is unfortunately really not my cup of tea.

I've been a hater of the futuristic stuff, but now with the story been more and more revealed, I'm ok with it. :D I like Aberration at all, but there are some little things the devs could improve, f.e. the silly elevator-mechanic, horrible performance (for some people), ACs required for hatching Rock Drakes, too many annoying earthquakes, etc...

I like it because it's new content. No matter how many minor issues there are (and I think there are only minor ones) it's still a whole new map to explore, new friends to tame and so on.

Of course, I do understand that some people simply don't dig the theme/aesthetic, but I think the story progression simply had to go somewhere. They can't just keep releasing new iterations of the island map and fifty more kinds of theropods, especially when you consider they're aiming for more variety in available creatures and general gameplay. There are only so many gimmicks you can give to real-life dinosaurs (people already dislike Daeodon for having a skill that's not in any way equivalent of something in real life), so - fantasy creatures it is.

When Aberration was first announced I was keen to look into a new DLC after Scotched Earth.

I feel Aberration was rushed and a reskin of Scorched Earth with disco glow sticks copy and pasted onto "Abberant" versions of Dino's and only a few 'new' Dino's added (most are pure novelty in means of lights to keep nameless away).

Then the lack of certain newly introduced Dino's ability to breed makes myself and rest of tribe focus playing for maybe killing Rockwell  then moving on for all the "hype" from the stream demo the dlc feels like a rushed cash grab as much as I hate to say if I think this will be the last dlc I bother with Ark.

Outside of some new creatures not being able to be bred for boss farming besides that I am enjoying it specially with being able to zip up and down upright or upside down zip lines on  a ravager that wont get old anytime soon lol. 

7/10 id give it some things im disappointed with  on Aberration but overall I am enjoying the new map.

My brother bought it and absolutely hates it. I went over and tried it out with some old friends from legacy for five hours and didn't really care for it either.

My friends from legacy and I all agreed it wasn't our thing and returned to our Ragnarok servers. 

Nothing really negative to say about it, there's some cool stuff on there, it's just not my cup of tea. I'll stick with Ragnarok, hopefully it's finished soon :)

It turns me away, personally. And just personally. I bought this game for dinosaurs and surviving in a prehistoric world, sounded amazing and it was. 

Then Tek came with teleportation. After that, DRAGONS aka Wyverns. I was willing to forgive griffins but dragons were too fantasy. This update now has a bunch of freaky I don't even know WHAT. It has become very weird for me lol

1 hour ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

It turns me away, personally. And just personally. I bought this game for dinosaurs and surviving in a prehistoric world, sounded amazing and it was. 

Then Tek came with teleportation. After that, DRAGONS aka Wyverns. I was willing to forgive griffins but dragons were too fantasy. This update now has a bunch of freaky I don't even know WHAT. It has become very weird for me lol

There's always been floating futuristic obelisks, falling loot boxes beamed down by a gravity beam and wrist implants. This is a silly criticism. The game was in early access, did you really think they'd not explain what all that stuff is eventually?

Wyverns and other mythical creatures are a fair criticism, but the tek stuff has always been there in one form or another.

Depends on what you mean by dissapointed. So far I am having a blast. New world to explore, new dangers to avoid and challenges overcome. Deffinatly worth the money I have spent on it so far.

The only thing that really dissapoints me or maybe surprises me is the lack of new dinos in the world. All this radiation filled biomes and there seems to be a lack of new creatures.  I recon they could have come up with a few more creatures personally.

3 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Depends on what you mean by dissapointed. So far I am having a blast. New world to explore, new dangers to avoid and challenges overcome. Deffinatly worth the money I have spent on it so far.

The only thing that really dissapoints me or maybe surprises me is the lack of new dinos in the world. All this radiation filled biomes and there seems to be a lack of new creatures.  I recon they could have come up with a few more creatures personally.

Yea, I have to say I agree with you on the lack of new creatures - would've been great to have a few more creatures or even mutations of existing creatures.  It surprises me too how some of the original dinosaurs have been left off the map when they would have been fitting to have (e.g. dilos) and yet creatures that don't really fit the environment (like the otter) have been left in.

Solid 8.5/10 from me (that's very good, btw)
-0.5 for too few Aberration creatures! Three to four more (especially given that four of them are lantern pets, which are all very similar in function) and an extra boss would be ideal
-0.5 for generic mechanics problems (i.e. elevator being obnoxious to pull up, wild Ravagers being really strong)
-0.5 for limited utility of Charge mechanic. It's not a detriment, nor is it clunky, but its limited utility is a little anticlimactic. Expand this massively

19 minutes ago, gaiainruin said:

Yea, I have to say I agree with you on the lack of new creatures - would've been great to have a few more creatures or even mutations of existing creatures.  It surprises me too how some of the original dinosaurs have been left off the map when they would have been fitting to have (e.g. dilos) and yet creatures that don't really fit the environment (like the otter) have been left in.

As much as I am surprised to see no dilos they would fit right in,  I am so glad they are not in it lol. Which probably means that they should be in it lol

51 minutes ago, MimiNuyasaka said:

There's always been floating futuristic obelisks, falling loot boxes beamed down by a gravity beam and wrist implants. This is a silly criticism. The game was in early access, did you really think they'd not explain what all that stuff is eventually?

Wyverns and other mythical creatures are a fair criticism, but the tek stuff has always been there in one form or another.

I wrote off the obelisks and wrists as a virtual world that present day humans connect to, so they can experience life back then maybe? And that they are given electromagnetism (triangulation) so they can use basic technology? Also the wrist implants could be the tether between the real world and ARK..possibly a logo? Because you can take other people's implants if they die.  I think the implants have nothing to do with your location either, the map is entirely man made. Evidenced by the fact that you have to "make" the map, and at the start, it's all undiscovered. They could be detachable after the life force dies. I'm of course talking about no respawns. 

I'm on break at work so there's my theory lol

Id like to think of ARK as a VR company such as the one in Assassins Creed 4? 

It's been a few days, what do you think of aberration? I'd enjoy it more if the "easy areas" weren't infested with ravager packs, raptors, and carnos, if the metal nodes were more accessible, and if it didn't run like crap. Honestly, my fps drops down to 5-10 every 15 seconds. Intended or bug?

Other than that, its cool.

12 hours ago, MimiNuyasaka said:

That tek stuff has always been there and the story would at some point explain what it is all about is true and logical. But the obelisks, implants and drops are just passive things, parts of the setting. Being able to actively create and use tek stuff is a whole new level in my eyes.

I finally reached the surface...   *gets devoured by an alpha surface reaper*

I finally found a reaper queen...  *gets swarmed by 5 queens and an alpha reaper*

I finally found metal...   *remembers he left his pick at home*

I wonder what is in this little cave...   *forgets to turn pet lamp off and gets swarmed by seekers*

still fricking love this map.

On 16/12/2017 at 10:24 PM, gaiainruin said:

PLEASE NO DILOS THEY ARE THE WORST CREATURES EVER (but otters are cute so they can stay)

Archived