Imprint Changes - IN GAME NOW

Palenor

So double the time between imprints seems good especially for the longer breeds like gigas and quetzal.

But i think they should also add an option to turn off the ability to imprint so it stays at base stats as an adult, i know u can just not imprint the babies but sometimes u do it by accident.

Also any word on a tribes member imprinting system?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon it's a really good change. Ark is a massive time sync and pulling yourself away from life or sleep to perform some arbitrary task every 3-4 hours is a pain in the arse. 

Not to mention it reduces the need for kibble a bit. Kibble is a bane on the game as it sees people gather massive amounts of dinos just for the eggs, clogging up servers and resulting in every official sever being tame capped. Might be the next thing to fix, eh?

Initially I was like most people when I saw the note that imprint timers would now be increased to 8 hours instead of the normal 3-4.  When I finally started running numbers and realizing the imprinting bonus per imprint was only x2 I started getting a little angry.  The prepatch system on official servers needed a fix - there's no question about that.  People were losing sleep being forced to wake up at all hours of the night to get a high imprint so that their dino wouldn't lose in a fight.  The boost you get from imprinting is so huge that you basically have to imprint in order for dinos to be usable, especially in pvp.  I'm sure this has caused countless family and job problems for ark players who simply just want the best for their tribe.  While this change is a step in the right direction, it still needs a bit of a tweak.

With the current postpatch system, most dinos are unable to reach 100% imprint.  Take pteras for example.  The maturation from 0% to 100% takes just over 37 hours.  Old imprints would give you 11% per imprint (actually closer to 10.75%).  They would require 10 total imprints to get 100%, the last of which would take them from 97%-100%.  These 10 imprints would take a minimum of 30 hours total (if the timer rolled nothing but 3hrs on every imprint) and a maximum of 40 hours (if the timer rolled nothing but 4hrs), which would make getting 100% impossible and leave the ptera at 97%.  This is considering every imprint is hit at the exact second it comes up.  In reality the average time a ptera takes to get 100% is around 35-36 hours, which usually leaves 1-2 hours of buffer time.  Yea sometimes you get screwed over and can't get 100% even if you're hitting exact imprints, but generally it's possible.  The new system however, requires a total of 5 imprints with a guarantee of an 8hr timer between all imprints, NO CHANCE AT A LOWER TIMER. The new system with the same 37 hour maturation time requires a total of 40 hours AT MINIMUM to reach 100%.  THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE.  Not only that, but since each imprint is now double, the final imprint percentage is much more of a difference, ending the ptera at 86%.  This is a HUGE problem and affects every imprintable dino in game.

Wildcard, please look into either increasing the imprint bonus from its current 2x to allow the possibility for 100% imprinted dinos or have the timers roll randomly between 6-8 hours (double the former 3-4).

- Hazard

to be honest the old system was killing me and when it came to giga raising time I didn't look forward to it to be honest . got 3 gigas and 3 yuty on the go right now and when I imprinted and saw the 8hr timer I was like , thank you wc. a big pressure lifted . but I agree with you op and whilst it is a step in the right direction I just cant believe they didn't take your point into consideration . wc need to revisit this but I wont hold my breath . damn why do they seem to give with one hand and take away with the other . for now though I will take it .

On our unofficial we went the opposite way. We went for extremely short cuddle timers on dinosaurs, giving you like a cuddle opportunity every 10-15 minutes on a dinosaur.
You don't need all of them for some dinosaurs, you can't get some dinosaurs on 100% either depending on the RNG.
Given that we have faster growing rates, it's hit and miss, but it feels fair.

Would such an approach suit people better?
Other question : Isn't the cuddle interval tied to the amount you gain? E.g the end effect remains the same, you just need less cuddles now?

To me, it's baffling the system was set up so that it is possible to be impossible: that is, it was possible for thet timers to randomize in a way that you couldn't get 100% imprint. The imprinting was (and is) a huge job and it's really an insult to leave it up to RNG whether all that work will even yield  the desired result (100% imprint). I can't see a reason why 100% imprint shouldn't be 100% possible, even if it only gave you a 1 min window after each timer expired to fulfil the wish. Let the difficulty be in being quick enough to fulfil it, not in RNG that you can do nothing about!

Let me give an example to illustrate: if a dino takes 10h to mature and each imprint gives 10%, the imprint timers are not allowed to go above 59minutes, meaning the max total of the imprint timers is 9h and 50 minutes, giving you a total of 10 minutes over the whole maturation time to fulfil the imprint wish.

4 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

To me, it's baffling the system was set up so that it is possible to be impossible: that is, it was possible for thet timers to randomize in a way that you couldn't get 100% imprint. The imprinting was (and is) a huge job and it's really an insult to leave it up to RNG whether all that work will even yield  the desired result (100% imprint). I can't see a reason why 100% imprint shouldn't be 100% possible, even if it only gave you a 1 min window after each timer expired to fulfil the wish. Let the difficulty be in being quick enough to fulfil it, not in RNG that you can do nothing about!

Let me give an example to illustrate: if a dino takes 10h to mature and each imprint gives 10%, the imprint timers are not allowed to go above 59minutes, meaning the max total of the imprint timers is 9h and 50 minutes, giving you a total of 10 minutes over the whole maturation time to fulfil the imprint wish.

I think having some form of RNG in it is not bad per say.
If everyone gets perfect dino's without a failing factor, it's going to become simply a war of attrition when used in combat.
Doesn't matter for the dinosaur in question, you just need more than your opponent has.
Whereas if there's variation in them, it keeps people busy and it can give people with less dinosaurs an edge.
At least that's my interpretation of the system.

Oh, but apart from that (that seems to still be an issue), I consider any game that has any mechanic that, in order to be used, needs a player to log on every 4 hrs for two weeks is fundamentally broken. I mean... listen to it - a mechanic that means you have to log on every 4 hours, even during the night, for two weeks! Meaning you can't get a decent night's sleep for two weeks...!

Obviously, it's not for all dinos but just for one, and you don't have to do it, I know! :) But any implemented mechanic is meant to be used (or it shouldn't be implemented) and a game should under no circumstances ever - I can't stress this enough - EVER have mechanics that disallow players to sleep properly, not to mention for TWO WHOLE WEEKS!

So I, for one,  am really glad the devs realised this and made the change!! :D But obviously, they still have some tweaking to do...

2 minutes ago, Olivar said:

I think having some form of RNG in it is not bad per say.
If everyone gets perfect dino's without a failing factor, it's going to become simply a war of attrition when used in combat.
Doesn't matter for the dinosaur in question, you just need more than your opponent has.
Whereas if there's variation in them, it keeps people busy and it can give people with less dinosaurs an edge.
At least that's my interpretation of the system.

I understand what you mean and I agree to some extent :) But I believe that difficulty should never be just about luck. I would rather see the difficulty based more on skill (like in my example, where the "skill" would be to keep track of exactly when the timer expired and have everything ready to go so that the imprint wish can be fulfilled instantly), but there still would be a failing factor (1 minute each imprint isn't very much time). With my example, there could still be an interval (maybe not a very large interval, though, since it's always possible) for the timers so that it includes RNG as well.

But if it's only about RNG, then the war is about luck to get those timers low and that's a worse game if you ask me :) 

@Kimsie

I'm totally with you that mechanics requiring people to wake up in the middle of the night are bad.
Games are supposed to be fun, and provide entertainment to it's users, not become a secondary job/chore for people.
I believe Ark failed a bit on that aspect and should make changes to the systems that are responsible for this.

Perhaps the Imprinting shouldn't be a repetitive task either using kibbles/commands.
Perhaps it can be changed into having your dinosaur perform different kind of things, or simply let it grow over time.
Rather not call it "Imprint" but call it "Bonding".
It's not bound to timers, but it simply increases over time like experience does based on how much you use your dinosaur?

well,i think one imprinting every 8 hours is really good..but yes..you write good..it s not possible make100%,but the option 6-8hours i think it s not so good,cause is a poop guys..if have10dinos to raise all with not the not same timer is poop for me..

imo,the best solution would be to adapt the maturation time to the imprinting request, for example ptero:
maturation time now: 
37hours= impossible 100%
solution:
42hours=12.5% of imprinting=8 imprinting (with two free hours)

sorry for my bad english..but i think that u can understand what i mean :D or what i would mean

1 minute ago, Olivar said:

@Kimsie

I'm totally with you that mechanics requiring people to wake up in the middle of the night are bad.
Games are supposed to be fun, and provide entertainment to it's users, not become a secondary job/chore for people.
I believe Ark failed a bit on that aspect and should make changes to the systems that are responsible for this.

Perhaps the Imprinting shouldn't be a repetitive task either using kibbles/commands.
Perhaps it can be changed into having your dinosaur perform different kind of things, or simply let it grow over time.
Rather not call it "Imprint" but call it "Bonding".
It's not bound to timers, but it simply increases over time like experience does based on how much you use your dinosaur?

Yeah, the same with the difficulty being increased only through grinding, not actual skill. I understand just increasing grinding is much easier, but it doesn't (in my opinion) add to the game, just make it more of a chore. I do believe this change, even if they fall a bit short, is a step in the right direction :)

I like your ideas... then it's not just about how much time you put in when it's maturing, but how much you use the dino! Athough... I suppose that could turn into a tamagotchi situation where it's a chore to keep all the "Bonding" bars up for all the dinos you want.... Oh, but only if it ever decreased... Yeah, I still like the idea! :D #confusedRambling

7 minutes ago, [EG] Comdriver W31 said:

why do you want to increase maturation timers to fix 100%? why not just make 8h imprint x2.2 instead of just x2 of previous imprinting percent?

because this is not same for all dinos,i think it s simple adapt the maturation time than the imprinting % :) but anyway your idea is good too :)

Archived