AmaZeeJxq

So I recently got ARK for PC once I built my new PC. I think I went a bit overkill with the specs, gtx 1060 6 gb and whatnot. That's besides the point, I've joined a decently friendly server, although there are some raiders. This is the first time I've actually been serious about official. So I built a 3x3 adobe hut with reinforced doors, an airlock, and a trapdoor (reinforced). This weak ass raider thought he was good, so instead of breaking my doorframe, he broke my wall since he couldnt break my door (stone door). He managed to break through 2 walls, looks like he used grenades. I am currently trying to move since my area doesn't have much flat area, how should I make my house and how can I setup a good defense? I was thinking to make a wall from stone with fence foundations and a behemoth gate. Once I can logoff for 2-3 days, i will go to the island or center to get plant x and transfer it over, but that won't be for a while, so I don't know what to do right now? Also what is the hotkey to re-enable dino names? I can't seem to find it and it's bugging me ;-;

https://imgur.com/a/LpsrG

Living Quarters

https://imgur.com/a/ZYt8k

Back

https://imgur.com/a/BJ3bW

Airlock

https://imgur.com/a/01GMG

Front

https://imgur.com/a/z1vNi

Logoff area

PLEASE tell me how I can improve this when I build my new base! Tysm for looking at this post! :D

For my PvP on SE i usually:

- Have an outer perimeter (behemoth stone walls)

- Pillars that surround them

- A base that has walls which are at least 3 thick (i use fence foundations on the foundations to achieve this)

- My entrance or door, has as you say an airlock, and usually a turret on the inside of it and 4 in each corner of my base (depending on size)

- Lots of plant species X

- Some high lvl dinos on aggressive roaming around outside for extra precautions. 

- Location location location (my base is always on a raised platform or on high ground, thus people cannot access from all sides and are forced to go near turrets, walls or dinos) 

(sorry if this did not answer what you were asking for, but i hope it kinda helps) 

:) Have a good one

44 minutes ago, AmaZeeJxq said:

So I recently got ARK for PC once I built my new PC. I think I went a bit overkill with the specs, gtx 1060 6 gb and whatnot. That's besides the point, I've joined a decently friendly server, although there are some raiders. This is the first time I've actually been serious about official. So I built a 3x3 adobe hut with reinforced doors, an airlock, and a trapdoor (reinforced). This weak ass raider thought he was good, so instead of breaking my doorframe, he broke my wall since he couldnt break my door (stone door). He managed to break through 2 walls, looks like he used grenades. I am currently trying to move since my area doesn't have much flat area, how should I make my house and how can I setup a good defense? I was thinking to make a wall from stone with fence foundations and a behemoth gate. Once I can logoff for 2-3 days, i will go to the island or center to get plant x and transfer it over, but that won't be for a while, so I don't know what to do right now? Also what is the hotkey to re-enable dino names? I can't seem to find it and it's bugging me ;-;

https://imgur.com/a/LpsrG

Living Quarters

https://imgur.com/a/ZYt8k

Back

https://imgur.com/a/BJ3bW

Airlock

https://imgur.com/a/01GMG

Front

https://imgur.com/a/z1vNi

Logoff area

PLEASE tell me how I can improve this when I build my new base! Tysm for looking at this post! :D

First off, note that if you get one foundation piece down, you can build a ceiling off it. Then, with a little manuevering you can place a pillar under the same ceiling piece to support it. Doing this strategy can help you make bases as large as you need them to be and be relativly flat. (minus the bumpy floor as the tops of the pillars will always stick out through the ceiling pieces) Do note, that pillars/ceilings are weaker that foundation pieces so they're easier to blow up, but they provide a nice crawl space under your house for hiding if you need to.) 

Your house should always have layers. Having a big box even with all the turrets in the world will be nothing but a cash cow. Having separate rooms with doors and hallways makes raiding harder, especially if you stick the occasional turret inside your base (or dilos, you know whatever you have at the time.)

I would also recommend making "faux vaults". Rooms like they have a lot of material in them (like boxes/tables etc) but have relatively little or inexpensive loot. Though the raiders will still probably kill your tames, if they happen upon one or two faux vaults and find you're harboring nothing but crap items, usually they'll end the raid. Leaving you to enjoy your real materials elsewhere. (like in the crawl space beneath your house or in pestle and mortars near your home) 

If you become set up well enough, I would always recommend turret walls or death walls. Built in weaknesses to your base that when destroyed, provide a strength. For instance, you should never make a dino gate leading into your main base. Dino gates are weaker and easier to blow up than normal walls and doors. Due to the fact that hitting them with grenades and explosives is easier because of the larger hitbox and bigger subsequent gap they leave behind. However, if you were to utilize this to your advantage, for instance, making a dino gate that led into a turret nest, it might just be the thing to give your defenses the advantage over a raider. 

A quick anecdote, I had such a defense set up in a breeding pen of mine. 

When the raider opened the door, my turrets were set to survivors only.

When the door came down. 

My turrets open fired on the survivors. 

They did bring soakers (stegos) but my turrets didn't shoot at them and the barricades between the turrets and the dinos effectivly just made the dinos useless. The survivors couldn't get back to their supplies and my tribe demo'd the foundations around the turrets (the encompassing walls) and allowed for a wider field of view. We raided the bodies we could find and killed whatever stegos we could until our rex's showed up. 

Which leads to another point. 

Use dinosaur gates (no doors just the frames) to make barricades against rex's and gigas. 

Stone ones are fine but they make decent "tank" barricades. 

Metal spikes are too easily stepped over or destroyed. dino gates are just super annoying to destroy and relatively cheap to produce. 

49 minutes ago, PeerlessScarred said:

For my PvP on SE i usually:

- Have an outer perimeter (behemoth stone walls)

- Pillars that surround them

- A base that has walls which are at least 3 thick (i use fence foundations on the foundations to achieve this)

- My entrance or door, has as you say an airlock, and usually a turret on the inside of it and 4 in each corner of my base (depending on size)

- Lots of plant species X

- Some high lvl dinos on aggressive roaming around outside for extra precautions. 

- Location location location (my base is always on a raised platform or on high ground, thus people cannot access from all sides and are forced to go near turrets, walls or dinos) 

(sorry if this did not answer what you were asking for, but i hope it kinda helps) 

:) Have a good one

Thanks for the response! I will be sure to put an outer perimeter and pillars if I can. I'll try to do that triple wall thing. Everything else is out of reach for me since i dont have access to that stuff yet. 

23 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

First off, note that if you get one foundation piece down, you can build a ceiling off it. Then, with a little manuevering you can place a pillar under the same ceiling piece to support it. Doing this strategy can help you make bases as large as you need them to be and be relativly flat. (minus the bumpy floor as the tops of the pillars will always stick out through the ceiling pieces) Do note, that pillars/ceilings are weaker that foundation pieces so they're easier to blow up, but they provide a nice crawl space under your house for hiding if you need to.) 

Your house should always have layers. Having a big box even with all the turrets in the world will be nothing but a cash cow. Having separate rooms with doors and hallways makes raiding harder, especially if you stick the occasional turret inside your base (or dilos, you know whatever you have at the time.)

I would also recommend making "faux vaults". Rooms like they have a lot of material in them (like boxes/tables etc) but have relatively little or inexpensive loot. Though the raiders will still probably kill your tames, if they happen upon one or two faux vaults and find you're harboring nothing but crap items, usually they'll end the raid. Leaving you to enjoy your real materials elsewhere. (like in the crawl space beneath your house or in pestle and mortars near your home) 

If you become set up well enough, I would always recommend turret walls or death walls. Built in weaknesses to your base that when destroyed, provide a strength. For instance, you should never make a dino gate leading into your main base. Dino gates are weaker and easier to blow up than normal walls and doors. Due to the fact that hitting them with grenades and explosives is easier because of the larger hitbox and bigger subsequent gap they leave behind. However, if you were to utilize this to your advantage, for instance, making a dino gate that led into a turret nest, it might just be the thing to give your defenses the advantage over a raider. 

A quick anecdote, I had such a defense set up in a breeding pen of mine. 

When the raider opened the door, my turrets were set to survivors only.

When the door came down. 

My turrets open fired on the survivors. 

They did bring soakers (stegos) but my turrets didn't shoot at them and the barricades between the turrets and the dinos effectivly just made the dinos useless. The survivors couldn't get back to their supplies and my tribe demo'd the foundations around the turrets (the encompassing walls) and allowed for a wider field of view. We raided the bodies we could find and killed whatever stegos we could until our rex's showed up. 

Which leads to another point. 

Use dinosaur gates (no doors just the frames) to make barricades against rex's and gigas. 

Stone ones are fine but they make decent "tank" barricades. 

Metal spikes are too easily stepped over or destroyed. dino gates are just super annoying to destroy and relatively cheap to produce. 

Ok, I am not at the point of turrets yet, but I might be since I live right next to the red obelisk. I will be sure to take this into account. I only have a doedic, morellatops, and a raptor as of right now, im looking to tame a thorny dragon so i can get more wood but tysm for the response!

10 minutes ago, AmaZeeJxq said:

Ok, I am not at the point of turrets yet, but I might be since I live right next to the red obelisk. I will be sure to take this into account. I only have a doedic, morellatops, and a raptor as of right now, im looking to tame a thorny dragon so i can get more wood but tysm for the response!

No issue, if you're on xbox we can chat about your base and such. :3

Red Harvest Rio

Archived