Getting wood

SmokeyB

I am with the majority here and go with the theri/mammoth combo. While all three tames listed in the op are all good collectors, when used solo there is the issue of finding the right balance between melee and weight. Too much melee and you overload the animal quickly, too much weight you spend more time bashing more trees to fill the capacity.

The current setup my wife and I use is 1 theri all power, with some points into melee and some into weight to keep it from overloading too rapidly. 2 mammoths everything into weight. We can easily get about 40k wood in 5-10 minutes on unofficial due to S+ pull feature. Manually moving the wood typically added only another few minutes to that.

P.S. One thing that I see that has not been mentioned is that both the beaver and mammoth will also collect from the berry bushes as you chew up trees for the wood. Dealing with those berries will slow things down.

10 minutes ago, gartersnake said:

Has anyone tried thorny dragons?  They're fairly common near where I am, and I've been thinking of going for one of them over making the trek to tame a beaver...

They suck at wood though in my experience. Get close to the same thatch : wood ratio as a wyvern flapping its wings.

If the trees are literally outside my gates I would just use a Theri, have some storage inside the gates and do many little runs which is essentially what I do now, only using Boat with storage.

Load Therizino with all power harvesting points on to the boat which contains 4 double chests - cross the river from red obelisk and do quick "hit and runs" swiping 3 trees to fill the Therizino before returning to dump all in storage on the boat.  Rinse and repeat until all storage and Therizno are full, cross back over the river and unload at base.  I do the same with stone - 2 Doedis on the boat and allow them to collect all water stone without even dismounting the boat controls - unload into cupboards, rinse and repeat.

Other tribe members prefer to go out with Therizino to harvest but have either bears or Mammoths to carry things back but we only have 1 Beaver which we use for crafting things that don't fit in the smithy.

Alternatively 2 man job using Therizno and Quetz - overburden the Therizino but it don't need to be able to move when the Quetz is doing all the movement for it.

Archived