The island base location

Kayvoss

I started a server a couple of days ago for some friends and I. Where is a good base location? I would like it to be near resources so it’s easy to gather them. I would also like it to be near the obilisks for boss battles. If you could please leave coordinates please. Oh, also it’s PvE. Thank you! [emoji4]
Try the snow biome , redwood mountains , volcano. Best places for stuff.

I am playing on The Island currently and I have a base at the base of the volcano. I don't have the coords available as I am not at home but it is almost exactly 50, 50 on map. It's a peninsula cliff on the river. I have walled off the peninsula and have loved that location. Dead center on map, tons of resources all around me for everything. I chose it originally because it's so close to many red drops. Didn't know I was dead center on map until just now when I looked it up to guess some coords for you haha.

For PvE it's anywhere, as location is irrelevant for anything other than scenic value. No need to strategically place a location as you can fly fast with your 10 Pteranodons that can't be killed by people. In that case, general center of the map or near mountains (not near those $@&)@&$ Allos and Yutys though). 

I'm not making fun of PvE vs PVP, I am simply saying the danger of losing things/tames isn't NEARLY as real so strategy doesn't matter unless you're trying to save time. So center of the map for equal distance or north if you're wanting a gold pot of resources. 

Try to stay out of the cold biome itself, as the ice cube is extremely annoying. Fur armor weighs 60 pounds and doesn't even eliminate it.

Always build near metal, because that's the absolute staple of everything to do with crafting.

24 minutes ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

For PvE it's anywhere, as location is irrelevant for anything other than scenic value. No need to strategically place a location as you can fly fast with your 10 Pteranodons that can't be killed by people. In that case, general center of the map or near mountains (not near those $@&)@&$ Allos and Yutys though). 

I'm not making fun of PvE vs PVP, I am simply saying the danger of losing things/tames isn't NEARLY as real so strategy doesn't matter unless you're trying to save time. So center of the map for equal distance or north if you're wanting a gold pot of resources. 

Try to stay out of the cold biome itself, as the ice cube is extremely annoying. Fur armor weighs 60 pounds and doesn't even eliminate it.

Always build near metal, because that's the absolute staple of everything to do with crafting.

what he says but build strategically IMO as you never know which one of your DILO tribe mates will declare war in a 30+ combine alliance tree and you never know which one of the alliance tribe members will accept that declaration...the server was a blood bath...the teeth man! the teeth! no turrets either lol

I've built on the mountain path up to blue Ob as the amount of metal there is ridiculous

Personally I think a good spot could be the large open area at the bottom of Far's Peak, just south of Carno Island. I'm pvp so I don't know if thats the sort of place you're looking for but it is nice and open, slight slope, wont be blocking resource spawns and you're reasonably close to every single resource in the game.

2 hours ago, Kayvoss said:

I started a server a couple of days ago for some friends and I. Where is a good base location? I would like it to be near resources so it’s easy to gather them. I would also like it to be near the obilisks for boss battles. If you could please leave coordinates please. Oh, also it’s PvE. Thank you! :)

Hidden lake is the best place in the game imho I don’t know the coordinates but it’s a huge open hole surrounded by cliffs. There is 3 entrances that can easily be blocked off with behemoth gates and fences and the top  of the cliffs can be surrounded with fences. There is a lake in the middle for water and plenty of flat building areas. Plus to the north of it is a bay about 300 meters away you can create a pen and park your rafts and water creatures there while easily blocking off the ocean. To get there you just need to head north around the east side of the island and go until you can turn west (via raft) in the ocean stick close to the island for there is often times alpha whales up here. Follow the coast on the very north east tip of the island and it will bring you into a bay ( this is the bay I talked about turning into a pen) head straight south into the jungle and you will find a low path leading right into the hidden lake. Mostly herbivores inside so easily cleared out. It’s not to terribly far from the green obelisk. The blue is only a short boat ride away but the red is a long boat ride but it doesn’t really matter because you have easy water access and can just haul what you need there with pen boats. There is also a river to the south that you can get a small raft down to hit 3 beaver damns locations and the redwood forest for sap plus reach the swamp from two different ends. You could also take this river to the backside of the snow area and reach the blue obelisk. Also here is a link to a forum post with a map I like to usehttps://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/173875-thoughts-on-changing-swamp-size/

4 hours ago, SirPeter said:

I am playing on The Island currently and I have a base at the base of the volcano. I don't have the coords available as I am not at home but it is almost exactly 50, 50 on map. It's a peninsula cliff on the river. I have walled off the peninsula and have loved that location. Dead center on map, tons of resources all around me for everything. I chose it originally because it's so close to many red drops. Didn't know I was dead center on map until just now when I looked it up to guess some coords for you haha.

I might actually build my base there. The only thing is, there isn't any ocean access, I'll probably have to build an Outpost by  lagoon. Is there any good locations around the edge of the snow biome? I've never built there befor and I would like to try it. 

57 minutes ago, Kayvoss said:

I might actually build my base there. The only thing is, there isn't any ocean access, I'll probably have to build an Outpost by  lagoon. Is there any good locations around the edge of the snow biome? I've never built there befor and I would like to try it. 

Around the mouth of the river near Carno island is nice area to build for aquatic base location. Not the safest place so be mindful but there is an area of beach around Lat 25, Lon 80(ish). Not certain specific spot. I saw it on youtube video. Massive area of flat beach. Perfect for building on ocean. Getting there from where my base is takes no time at all using a flyer and I've made the trip several times with land mounts (normally a thyla or rex) and still not long trip. That part of the beach has so much usable area to build it can be easily defended against anything. On a prior server I built a massive castle there as my main base. Getting to the snow biome from there was very quick. Only reason I left was it was too far from other side of map for my taste so I wiped that server and started over where I am now. I love my current spot so much more.

On this current save I have an outpost close to where the waterfall is in the snow biome. It's roughly Lat 15, Lon 40 (ish). I like that area so I built a small stone house with a small perimeter wall and dino gate on top of the waterfall where some ruins are. I haven't built a new water base yet but I'll probably build somewhere close to those two locations.

I just commented on a similar post but anyway,the pillar in smugglers pass is the go.Everything is close by,great for meat runs,metal etc is just up the hill.The only down side is you cant make a base with a water pen out front.I prefer my water pens to be away a bit anyway so i can make them large and not hit structure limit or increase lag combining the two.

20171205111250_1.jpg

31 minutes ago, edskelly said:

I just commented on a similar post but anyway,the pillar in smugglers pass is the go.Everything is close by,great for meat runs,metal etc is just up the hill.The only down side is you cant make a base with a water pen out front.I prefer my water pens to be away a bit anyway so i can make them large and not hit structure limit or increase lag combining the two.

20171205111250_1.jpg

Impressive location utilization.

Archived