In-game profiting

DarkEliteH2

It's an odd business to take up in ARK. But when it comes to having a life. . .it actually makes sense. So long as the work done is worth the money its paid, I've no qualms with it.

But I've a more serious matter to question. . .The matter of infiltration in order to gain profit.

Profiteers Trolls gaining access to tribes in order to inside the tribe,  and steal their dinos to sell.

Is this a plausible tactic for trolls to get away with? Is this matter punishable by developers?

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated :)

15 minutes ago, GP said:

Insiding is a plausible and acceptable (in terms of game rules) tactic yes.

But when you speak of selling can you clarify what you mean by selling? Selling for ingame resources or real money? The answer to that will have a very different outcome.

From what was claimed from the troll that had done this very thing to us last night, he had sold what dinos he had managed to transfer out for fifty dollars, real currency.

11 minutes ago, Jukiahs said:

Why don't you change settings in "Unclaiming Creatures" set to Admins Only... 

It was a set of unfortunate circumstances, I'm afraid.

The owner of the tribe had been fiddling with the tribe ranking systems before the incident. I don't think he had the thought to do so; mainly to keep from new people from using the more important dinos - gigas, quetzals, wyverns, etc.

The troll insisted one of our admins - and apparently, he insisted on other admins as well - to give him admin privileges so that he could use the quetzal for a metal run. Well, that privilege was granted, and the rest of the tragedy goes from there.

Selling for real money is all types of illegal and hurts the game. 

It's illegal because it is copyright infringement of WC's property. It is illegal because it is unclaimed income. It hurts the game because it is a chief and root cause for duping especially on PVE servers. Why take 2 weeks to raise a Giga when you can crash and roll back the server and get 5 or 6 in one Ark session? At 50 dollars a pop that's 300 dollars for one days "work" all profit. It is very much wrong. 

This is a game and should not be profited off of by the players. The lazy people who spend real money are equally to blame. I am a moderator at a PS4 facebook trade site and the minute I see requests or offers of PP, currency, PSN or anything similar it's an insta-ban from the site. I only wish I could do more to those who ruin Ark for their own profit. Ark is not a freaking job! Play the game right. Bums. 

14 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Selling for real money is all types of illegal and hurts the game. 

It's illegal because it is copyright infringement of WC's property. It is illegal because it is unclaimed income. It hurts the game because it is a chief and root cause for duping especially on PVE servers. Why take 2 weeks to raise a Giga when you can crash and roll back the server and get 5 or 6 in one Ark session? At 50 dollars a pop that's 300 dollars for one days "work" all profit. It is very much wrong. 

This is a game and should not be profited off of by the players. The lazy people who spend real money are equally to blame. I am a moderator at a PS4 facebook trade site and the minute I see requests or offers of PP, currency, PSN or anything similar it's an insta-ban from the site. I only wish I could do more to those who ruin Ark for their own profit. Ark is not a freaking job! Play the game right. Bums. 

And to this, I agree. There's something hoakey about using a 3rd party platform to make an income. Anything can go wrong, and quite honestly, spending money for a dino that's bound to die is just...well...a ridiculous waste. Granted, I don't think it could be constituted as a 'job-worthy' income; it's nothing more than a side-hustle for people who choose to play games more than pay attention to real life.

That being said, it appears WC holds no resentment for people using their platform for profit.

On the OTHER hand...Infiltrating a tribe, insiding them, and stealing their dinos to sell for profit?. . .There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

17 minutes ago, GP said:

The only line drawn here would be the real currency line.

The insiding and stealing dinos is legitimate tactic of war, and tribes have to accept that.

WC IS aware that people are using the game as a platform to earn money, yes?

Because people are willing to barter the hatching/raising of dinos for real-world currency? Just because certain people don't have the time nor mental wherewithal to sit down and breed their own dinos, therefore, they hire/pay others to do it for them.

5 hours ago, GP said:

Insiding is a plausible and acceptable (in terms of game rules) tactic yes.

But when you speak of selling can you clarify what you mean by selling? Selling for ingame resources or real money? The answer to that will have a very different outcome.

I agree. Intrigue seems like a fun enhancement to PvP. The keyword being PvP: Player vs Player. In PvE, Player vs Environment, being attacked and/or robbed by other players makes absolutely no sense from a gameplay perspective.

As for charging for real currency? Well Wildcard might have a problem with it but considering how much they care about our in-game problems I can't help but feel indifferent to theirs.

edit: Plus even if I, for some odd and silly reason, wanted to report someone I, as a CUSTOMER on a LEGACY server, am not allowed to give SUPPORT as per an official Wildcard statement ending all CUSTOMER LEGACY SUPPORT. :D

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Woodsman said:

They usually shut down any talks of people cashing out from the game.

Discussing it is fine. Reporting someone here is not and should be done via Support Ticket. And obviously, doing such trades here is not as well. As long as it stay a discussion about what is going on and that no names are given and that no such trades are encouraged here there won't be any issue.

8 hours ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

Contrary to the situation, I wasn't the one that granted him admin level. We just had a very naive tribe leader that didn't heed most of our concerns

Inside or somehow change your tribe leader as soon as you can. 

Trust me on this, idiot, cowardly or inexperienced tribe leaders are the raptoring worst. 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA i see people selling dinos ALL DAY for real world currency, good luck stopping this. spoiled kids and adults with too much money will always purchase tames like golems, wyverns, griffins, and bred gigas. I had some experience with it myself after the thylo released, i was getting paypal offers all day for my bred thylos. And the mods want people to stop doing that?? That's just something moderators and devs are gonna have to learn to accept...

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Facebunz said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA i see people selling dinos ALL DAY for real world currency, good luck stopping this. spoiled kids and adults with too much money will always purchase tames like golems, wyverns, griffins, and bred gigas. I had some experience with it myself after the thylo released, i was getting paypal offers all day for my bred thylos. And the mods want people to stop doing that?? That's just something moderators and devs are gonna have to learn to accept...

If you choose to not report those that are selling or paying cash or cash equivalents for in game items, animals, or services on official server, then you are part of the problem.

Anyone that we catch buying/selling for cash or cash equivalents on the forums will be handled as needed.

Ill tell you there is a big market. When transfers first came out we monotized quite a lot before everyone started doing it and pushed the prices down. 

The biggest customers were working adults without time to breed a giga or whatnot. It ruins the game. From first hand experience i can say that. One of my friends still carrys on our buisness from before, makes a literal living off it and he hates ark. Despises it but the market is still hot. 

WC shot themselves in the foot regarding this when they opened new servers.. brand new ways to sell & no inflation = win for sellers.

Archived