What is your favorite place to build a base?

SubtendedCrib8

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times and will be discussed again after this post, but I'm currently playing SP on The Island, then moving to Scorched Earth. After I get a base set up and crossplay comes out I'm going to start hosting a dedicated server for me and my friends to play PvP on. With that in mind, what are your favorite places on The Island and Scorched Earth to set up an alpha tribe like camp/base?

One of my favorites is the east shelf of Herbivore Island (the huge flat underwater plain before it falls off to the deep).  It's about 8 walls from the surface to the floor there so it's easy to store water animals underneath the house.  You have just about every resource present, the only ones you really travel for are oil, cement paste and obsidian.

(Though with a Dunky, you can just farm the oil nodes around the island. There is tiny amounts in the underwater cave, but it's not reliable. You could farm from dolphin or shark back as well. I tend to just get on the wyvern and fly to the penguin islands though, as the organic polymer saves me having to mine obsidian.)

(Crystal is found in the nearby underwater cave and at the entrance of the lava cave just northeast of the island)

(Cement Paste I just fly around to the beaver spots and kill every high chitin/keratin bearing animal I see when I fly around. Stone is plentiful on the island if you have a doed.)

(Obsidian, you just have to fly to the places it's at. I know there is some in the lava cave, but that doesn't seem like a very safe place to get a large supply of it...)

my favorites place to build are rafts xD i love building those.

now to not be off topic... on the island, the snow mountain with blue ob or the volcano is prob the wise choice. Some other spots werent bad, but with the turrent change, those 2 will be the only defendable spots on island.

On SE, its prob the north west mountains.

On 01/12/2017 at 6:25 PM, Demigods said:

I prefer the beach by red

People cry about it calling it the noob area

But you have -

1: Permanent access to Obi

2: Ocean access

3: Weaker dinos to contend with

4.  pure mission to get any late game materials 

5. First place server hopping trolls will look for noobs to raid .

PvE - The Island: Footpaw and Weathertop

Yeah, yeah, newbie areas, I know.

Pro's

1. Lots of semi-flat areas to build.

2. Easy access to RED OB

3. Lots of wood, thatch, fiber, and stone available at all times.

4. Most likely the best pro, a HUGE amount of berries at all times, slot cap  Brontos with a couple tail swings. ie. Narcoberries for Narcotics. Taming/EXP

5. Low-level yard trash, no Alpha spawns.

6. Easy access to RED OB.

7. Easy access to the swamp, meat, hide etc.

8. Easy access to swamp cave, cement paste, chitin.

9. Water access on both sides, shallow on one side for rafts etc. Deep on the other for water tames.

10. Easy access to RED OB.

11. No Gigas to wreck your base.

Con's

1. No Metal

2. No Obsidian

3. No higher value dinos, Rexes or Gigas for taming.

First two are not an issue, as, by the time you are ready to farm massive amounts of metal, you have good Quetz's to ferry it back and forth.

This mostly goes away once you unlock transponders and completely goes away when you unlock teleportation.

Oh, and did I mention we have easy access to RED OB for Boss Fights...

1 hour ago, Palenor said:

by the time you are ready to farm massive amounts of metal, you have good Quetz's to ferry it back and forth.

This is the part people always forget. People just assume without thinking that you need to live right by resources, but there is not a single harvest-able resource in the game you can't get with a small outpost, a bed, and a quetz/argies

5 minutes ago, Demigods said:

This is the part people always forget. People just assume without thinking that you need to live right by resources, but there is not a single harvest-able resource in the game you can't get with a small outpost, a bed, and a quetz/argies

true, but these dont tend to stand long on pvp :( still worth if u empty them frequently sure.

Weathertop: plenty of stone wood berries and meat from swamp,metal mountain opposite for quick runs and redwoods nearby for longer runs and crystal, not too difficult and a good view,one way up and down so defendable only need to travel for oil and obsidian,otters are good for silica pearls storage for water Dinos, very visible however and vulnerable from air,lots of noobs wander into turret range and waste ammo as well 

Archived