What are some awesome base locations.

Redbullsage51

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jerryn said:

I built on a rock column in the Maw.  ( more pics of the outside and inside at: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073518818/screenshots/#)

Pics don't include the greenhouse I build on the NW tower. :(34869F91A77850A4FFC6E8B1AAE99F171763301FE9560E4DA87C4C627AD47C035EA97123AA89FB3E

hoooooooooooooooooow did you get the ramp that long?????  i have been fighting with ramps for days on end now

2 hours ago, Jerryn said:

I built on a rock column in the Maw.  ( more pics of the outside and inside at: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073518818/screenshots/#)

Pics don't include the greenhouse I build on the NW tower. :(34869F91A77850A4FFC6E8B1AAE99F171763301FE9560E4DA87C4C627AD47C035EA97123AA89FB3E

i didnt think you could build on the obulusk. and what is the fastest way to get pelt

Seeing as this is a discussion about base locations, I know a few:

The writhing swamps are a descent area for a small base, good for beginners however you may need to watch out for the occasional sarco or mega piranha so come prepared.

My second location for a base and the area I currently use is the Tundra. Originally I got held up by two Procoptodons but I managed to build up a medium-sized wooden base that could hold my mammoths, dire wolves, sabers, Procoptodons, Megaloceroses and my giganotosaurus while leaving room for a 6x6 homestead. P.S: I play on a single player world, Xbox one.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Redbullsage51 said:

i didnt think you could build on the obulusk. and what is the fastest way to get pelt

I am not on an obelisk, just a big column of rock.  Though, you can build in and around the obelisks, assuming someone doesn't stop you.

A good spot to build a taming pen is on the west coast, just south of the snow biome, a little inland.  The area can get a little rough, but it is a good place for scorps, argens, raptors, sabers, doeds, ankys, stegos, carnos, rexes, and terror birds; they spawn along the coast just south of the snow biome. 

And, it also puts you close to the snow biome, so that you can get to wolves, mammoths, megalos, and more rexes, sabers, and argens.

I built my pen with both a dino door and a ramp, and make the walls(out of door frames) 3 high.  You can kite a rex, saber, anky, or whatever else into it and run out any side with ease.  Only a dilo or compy is going to run through the doors, and you don't really need a pit for those.  However, if you lead a stego or mammoth into it, you will need to tear down walls to get them out, as they are two big for a dino gate.

And, if you kite an argen to it, you can get inside and shoot out, using the walls as protection.  And, if the argen gets into the pen with you, you just run outside and shoot into it.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Grimlock98 said:

hoooooooooooooooooow did you get the ramp that long?????  i have been fighting with ramps for days on end now

See that column on the right hand side of the ramp, that is key.  And, if you look closely at the bottom, you will see it attaches to a small bridge(made of columns and ceiling) that run across the river.

In short, you need to have a series of connected columns, ceiling, and foundations, and they will support anything that is connected to them(such as by the really tall column to the left of the ramp.  You can use more columns and connects(though it is hard to do on a ramp, unless you put in small landing along the way) to make it safer; but not really needed if you PVE or SP and build out of metal.

Also, I find it easier to build a ramp downwards, instead of upwards.  Sometimes, you might have to build it a few times, and I did with this one, until I got the part that the ramp connects to to extend out far enough.

A1A0E280B600218C5DC5115158A778BD33108109

Here, you can see the column from the upper level to where it connects to the short bridge over the river, down below.

4F545CBDD4E994ADEE665C50AA36D42E3D927C67

Here, you can see how how the tall column connects to the bridge, how the bridge crosses the river, and how I use columns and ceilings to walk up the wall, to continue the support up the other side.

1055D3648730661A184563A89F15736E312F60AAEA0E103DAD044269004C851E5B5ED4EFFD2CC946

And, here is a different example, showing my upper elevator platform:

E3D84E5C003E283C15ABBA5D87B7E693A3C471DC

Which is held up because the one column(not the elevator track) comes all the way down, jogs over one space, and then connects to foundations below(which is also the stopping point for the elevator.

1C0937B6652F93C8B510AC7BE4625DAF624C67D6

I've found many great base locations that I'd like to share! (:

Hidden Lake:

This place is very great for protection and farming. It's a large secluded area in the middle of a forest, with large walls going all the way around it except for 3 areas that allows easy access in and out. It's way up in the northeast, and it's closer to Dead Island and the mountains. Easy Metal and big predator guys :P Also like the name suggests, it's got a little tiny pond in the center, perfect for farming!

Pros: Easy farming, very well protected, somewhat easy metal access, secluded.

Cons: No sea creature storage, good distance away from snow biome.

About 42 long, 15 lat:

This is on the border of the snow biome, so this is a great area to set up a base if you eventually want to head in to the snow biome. It's got easy access to pelt, silica pearls, and oil. It also has a little inlet with a waterfall that allows storage for anything from the ocean up to Megalodon size. It doesn't have very great Dino storage outside of that though. It's right by the Frozen Fang as well, so you also have great metal access. Kairuku also tend to wander over here so that's perfect for the Organic Polymer.

Pros: Pelt, Organic Polymer, Oil, Pearls, Metal access, Sea storage up to Megalodons, near the snow biome, good farming.

Cons: Lots of danger in the forms of Sabers, Rexes, Argies, and Wolves, little dino storage unless you expand your base greatly.

About 55 long, 88 lat:

This is where I currently have my base. It's got amazing protection in the form of giant rock pillars that you can build on, somewhat great dino pen potential, decent water creature storage, next to no dangers, easy swamp access, and there's a cave right by you as well!

Pros: Great Protection, water dino storage up to Megalodons (In the inlet), decent dino pen potential, easy swamp access, cave nearby, good farming.

Cons: Sarcos can spawn nearby and Megapiranhas can also spawn in the Inlet, no easy metal access, far away from snow biome.

South Haven:

In my opinion, the perfect base set-up. Has absolutely no dangers on the island (Minus Megalodon), Trilobite spawn here meaning easy chitin, pearls, and oil, Metal actually spawns on both sides of the island so building on one side only is very recommended, great dino pen in the center of the island, perfect sea creature storage as it can hold even Mosasaurs. Stegos, Trikes, and Ankylos spawn very commonly here so they are a great source of Keratin.

Pros: No dangers, Easy Metal, Perfect Sea and Land creature storage, easy chitin/keratin and oil/pearls.

Cons: Brontos tend to be very annoying, far from the mainland, only way to get over there is via sea or sky, transporting dinos is risky and can be dangerous!

Archived