20GT

Please add snap to gates.

Recommended Posts

Please add snap to gates if at least 10 areas surrounding it are filled. One structure,  the bottom or top,  and at least one on each side to snap is even better. 

So many times I thought had it properly placed only to find a gap or its slightly off angle causing a ceiling tile to be obstructed. :(

There's no real way to see if it's aligned property. You you see the wall though the green but apparently not.

It's disappointing to work so hard to get the material to make the gate and have a gap when placed, causing you to destroy it and try again. 

If you're an Ark player and are relating to what I'm saying please add your comments and a screenshot. 

Unless this thread gets attention it won't get fixed. 

24068797_142756499713667_778238927877687743_o.jpg

Edited by 20GT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't want to use fence foundations, I'll give you a tip for managing 100% angled placement. 

Craft a wooden ladder, snap that to any existing foundation, climb up and look about 45' down and jump over it. Make sure you don't touch the mouse and press K (or enable Orbit Cam), and you'll be perfectly aligned with you flooring. 

Then use Orbit Cam to your advantage spotting any gaps on either side of the gate. 

I use this technique when placing any odd crafting table, vaults, fridges and whatnot. 

Edited by maze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-30 at 11:30 AM, maze said:

If you don't want to use fence foundations, I'll give you a tip for managing 100% angled placement. 

Craft a wooden ladder, snap that to any existing foundation, climb up and look about 45' down and jump over it. Make sure you don't touch the mouse and press K (or enable Orbit Cam), and you'll be perfectly aligned with you flooring. 

Then use Orbit Cam to your advantage spotting any gaps on either side of the gate. 

I use this technique when placing any odd crafting table, vaults, fridges and whatnot. 

I use this technique to place literally everything... literally everything...

I step on ladder, click place to get the image, then look 45’ downward angle, press k, walk up and over the squared ladder..... at this point you are 100% square, and only have to pay careful attention to the left/right which is easy when squared.

I don’t like using fence foundation, because gate breaks when foundation does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I realize that fence  foundations are the common work around.

This thread is for suggestions, not for work arounds.

Aren't  you just creating a way to get the snap using a fence foundation? 

Wouldn't you rather have gates snap instead of placing another item to get what you want?

Let's hear more about how the snap is needed to make building better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Fence foundations are a workaround, not a fix.

What should happen is that snapping mechanics for gates get fixed.

I don't think it's broken, I think it's just not a mechanic for gates. I think they are designed not to snap, the question is why?

My fellow Arkadians, what do you feel would be reason the dev's didn't put the snap on gates? 

(I have no idea why this post is in different text size) 

Edited by 20GT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gate goes on last so it won't block ceiling blocks. I got used to eyeballing it back when box quetzs were a thing. Not being able to place a gate down properly is not something that needs to be fixed. Training wheels is not always the answer. If you do place a gate wrong you can place a second gate slightly overlapping the first to seal the gap and it provides a fake door that adds an extra layer to the outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 20GT said:

I don't think it's broken, I think it's not a mechanic for gates. I think they are designed not to snap, the question is why?

My fellow Arkadians, what do you feel would be reason the dev's didn't put the snap on gates? 

(I have no idea why this post is in different text size) 

Rhetorical questions do not advance the conversation, if you think you have an idea for why gates don't snap then say it. This is a forum thread, not a symposium on rhetorical devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Rhetorical questions do not advance the conversation, if you think you have an idea for why gates don't snap then say it. This is a forum thread, not a symposium on rhetorical devices.

My question is not rhetorical. The word "feel" possibly might give it a philosophical tag but it was unintended.  A rhetorical question is a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

I just wanted to hear people's opinions on why gates don't snap. Maybe I didn't ask it properly but. . .  I'm not making a statement and I'm looking forward to getting answers and possibly a discussion on the subject. 

Edited by 20GT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rhinenorr said:

Gate goes on last so it won't block ceiling blocks. I got used to eyeballing it back when box quetzs were a thing. Not being able to place a gate down properly is not something that needs to be fixed. Training wheels is not always the answer. If you do place a gate wrong you can place a second gate slightly overlapping the first to seal the gap and it provides a fake door that adds an extra layer to the outside. 

So why have snap at all, we can just eyeball everything..... Can you imagine the chaos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now