Will the Turret Limit make Titanosaurs more Lethal?

bigfish502

One question that I've had concerning the Turret Limit that will eventually be implemented is how it will affect the use of Titanosaurs in PVP (or even defending against a wild one being kited into your base in PVE). Aside from the extreme difficulty of taming one another thing that has held them back from more frequent use is how buggy they get when fired upon by obscene amounts of turrets (Nerd Parade found out that if enough turrets are firing at a Titanosaur they bug out and hardly deal any damage). Now that turret numbers are being cut down to size the Titanosaur will probably function the way it was intended, which is bad news for anyone defending against a Titanosaur. Not only can a Titanosaur soak bullets for days, it can utterly demolish metal structures. Even with a damage increase can a 100 "heavy" turrets defend against a Titanosaur? Will Mega tribes begin to employ them to wipe whole servers (luckily they can't be transferred between servers)? What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, bigfish502 said:

One question that I've had concerning the Turret Limit that will eventually be implemented is how it will affect the use of Titanosaurs in PVP (or even defending against a wild one being kited into your base in PVE). Aside from the extreme difficulty of taming one another thing that has held them back from more frequent use is how buggy they get when fired upon by obscene amounts of turrets (Nerd Parade found out that if enough turrets are firing at a Titanosaur they bug out and hardly deal any damage). Now that turret numbers are being cut down to size the Titanosaur will probably function the way it was intended, which is bad news for anyone defending against a Titanosaur. Not only can a Titanosaur soak bullets for days, it can utterly demolish metal structures. Even with a damage increase can a 100 "heavy" turrets defend against a Titanosaur? Will Mega tribes begin to employ them to wipe whole servers (luckily they can't be transferred between servers)? What do you guys think?

You can use player-mounted minigun turrets-wayy more effective.

2 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

You can use player-mounted minigun turrets-wayy more effective.

Ok, that is a fair point, but the trade off with minigun turrets is the manpower required to use them and the fact that they have to remain stationary (and thus be a sitting duck to a rocket) unless on a platform saddle. Also if Mega tribes are the ones using them you can bet they'll place a Tek Forcefield ( and maybe some daedon on passive healing) on the Platform saddle if they feel it is necessary.

Ok, that is a fair point, but the trade off with minigun turrets is the manpower required to use them and the fact that they have to remain stationary (and thus be a sitting duck to a rocket) unless on a platform saddle. Also if Mega tribes are the ones using them you can bet they'll place a Tek Forcefield ( and maybe some daedon on passive healing) on the Platform saddle if they feel it is necessary.

Tek forcefields can't be placed on platform saddles, and the turrets will work fine on a quetz saddle, where the titan can't hit you. And autoturrets were never a viable option anyway.

23 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Tek forcefields can't be placed on platform saddles, and the turrets will work fine on a quetz saddle, where the titan can't hit you. And autoturrets were never a viable option anyway.

If that is the case with tek forcefields then you obviously know more than the wiki does (if it is true someone should edit it). Shoot from a quetzal saddle could work but again you have to keep it relatively steady for good aim, again leaving you at the mercy of rockets and whatever else the Mega tribe has to throw at you (no Titanosaur used by a Mega tribe is going to be left unprotected). Autoturrets in mass were sufficient in at least getting a Titanosaur to bug out so it can't wreck structures.

If you have like 6 gigas with good melee and riders on them, titans aren't a problem. We have tamed a couple to wipe base that have we already raided, because its cheaper than using C4 on all the foundations. We have invaded a server and had a titan used against us but they are kinda pointless to use from my perspective.

1 minute ago, RoGCody120039 said:

If you have like 6 gigas with good melee and riders on them, titans aren't a problem. We have tamed a couple to wipe base that have we already raided, because its cheaper than using C4 on all the foundations. We have invaded a server and had a titan used against us but they are kinda pointless to use from my perspective.

Is that considering that the attacker is using their own Gigas to defend it?

1 minute ago, RoGCody120039 said:

It will depend who has more guys on, like if they have good griffs or drags and you have 20 gigs out and no flyers, your kinda screwed. Are you allied with a mega tribe? 

I'm just trying to imagine a typical scenario in which you would see the application of a Titanosaur to raid. It seems logical that either large Alphas or a Mega would be the only ones capable of pulling off a Titanosaur tame on a PVP server and if they planned on using them to raid they would obviously not leave them unguarded. I've seen a video with a Titanosaur with a Tek Forcefield (plus I've never seen anything on the wiki saying otherwise) on it and so it would also seem logical that if such things are allowed on official a Mega tribe would also use a Tek Forcefield to greatly bolster  its surviveability (plus it is conceivable to put deadon set to passive healing in a box on the saddle). So with all that in mind do you believe that Titanosaur raids could see a revival after the turret limit is implemented?

Tamed Titan health is 150k with a 1 armor saddle (only 4% damage resistance).

25 regular autos would cut it down in 21 seconds.

50 regular autos would cut it down in 11 seconds.

25 heavy autos would cut it down in 6 seconds

50 heavy autos would cut it down in 3 seconds.

So yea borderline useless for raiding, only decent for post-raid demo work.

10 minutes ago, bigfish502 said:

I'm just trying to imagine a typical scenario in which you would see the application of a Titanosaur to raid. It seems logical that either large Alphas or a Mega would be the only ones capable of pulling off a Titanosaur tame on a PVP server and if they planned on using them to raid they would obviously not leave them unguarded. I've seen a video with a Titanosaur with a Tek Forcefield (plus I've never seen anything on the wiki saying otherwise) on it and so it would also seem logical that if such things are allowed on official a Mega tribe would also use a Tek Forcefield to greatly bolster  its surviveability (plus it is conceivable to put deadon set to passive healing in a box on the saddle). So with all that in mind do you believe that Titanosaur raids could see a revival after the turret limit is implemented?

sup3rior pretty much sums it up with the numbers. im highly doubtful that you can still put a force field on a titan, be op as hell. like back in the day you could stick turrets on a Quetz, gigas were pretty much as useful as a dodo in that case. For as much health as a titan has i see deadons being useless. You'd have to have someone or multiply people doing meat runs constantly, plus youd need more than one if your losing a lot of health at a time. Im not even sure if the healing ability stacks if you have multiply deadons.

16 minutes ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

Actually they have a base health of 230k. Also, the numbers don't really seem to agree with what I've observed from Youtube videos. I've seen Titans tank autoturrets for way longer than a few seconds. Plus people can most assuredly use metal walls to shield the sides from turret fire (though it would be pretty expensive).

10 minutes ago, bigfish502 said:

Actually they have a base health of 230k. Also, the numbers don't really seem to agree with what I've observed from Youtube videos. I've seen Titans tank autoturrets for way longer than a few seconds. Plus people can most assuredly use metal walls to shield the sides from turret fire (though it would be pretty expensive).

Keyword "Tamed", domesticated ones drop down to 150,000 HP

9 hours ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

uh..with the turret nerf, how will anyone have that many? And raiders don't usually only bring titans...maybe gigas with asc. saddles to tank?

On 11/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, bigfish502 said:

230k wild, it gets cut down to 150k when tamed. Turrets now target any non-covered parts of a tame so despite the high platform build limit you can't get full coverage on any one side.

Furthermore I'm not talking from experience watching videos. I'm talking from having seen them in action personally after 5k hours on official PvP and doing the exact hard numbers.

22 hours ago, rororoxor said:

uh..with the turret nerf, how will anyone have that many? And raiders don't usually only bring titans...maybe gigas with asc. saddles to tank?

Turret density is being nerfed not the turrets themselves. Gigas are horrible tanks even with good saddles (Too costly, too prone to rage). Smart base design can optimize for functionally 50 turrets per side firing not including perimeter turrets softening it up beforehand. Additionally you could push up with paracers/Brontos/stegos to help block shots but that's a lot of extra people. If you've tamed a Titan and have extra people on soakers to push you're likely doing an online raid and thus would be facing snipers/theris/Rexes/gigas impeding your path. Also perimeter turret-covered metal 'blockade' structures make it hard to push up enough to cover the Titan to bust those down to keep going. The massively forward neck/head means turrets will often prioritize the Titan above other things 'ahead' of it as it both overreaches them and is at a substantially higher height.

If you're using a Titan and extra soakers to push on an offline base, you're offline raiding wrong...

Archived