Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alexmeads01

Xbox Play Anywhere and Steam

Hello, 

I've just seen that there will be Xbox Play Anywhere being released for ARK and I have a few questions about it:

- Will there be mod support?

- Will steam users be able to play with Xbox players, or at least get a code for the windows 10 version?

- Will it be more optimised than the Steam version of the game? So therefore different requirements??

- Will there be an option to increase the tether distance for non-dedicated players if you are running on Windows 10?

Thanks in advance, just some interesting questions that I thought of and other people may find useful to know the answers to as well.

I can answer the second question at least. Steam will not be able to play with Xbox Players no. If you want to have the Windows 10 version you will need to buy the Windows 10 version or the Xbox version to get it on Windows 10.

It would be nice if steam players did get a code or at least a major discount on the windows 10 version of the game. As it stands if you own it on xbox you get a free copy for windows 10. Anyways knowing how things play out for pc gamers.. I expect they will make us throw another $60 at them to get the windows 10 version.

Guest DJRone89
8 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

It would be nice if steam players did get a code or at least a major discount on the windows 10 version of the game. As it stands if you own it on xbox you get a free copy for windows 10. Anyways knowing how things play out for pc gamers.. I expect they will make us throw another $60 at them to get the windows 10 version.

Play anywhere is just the ability to play Xbox games on Windows 10. That’s why Xbox users get the Windows 10 version for free, because we technically already own it. If you really boil it down, play anwhere isn’t true cross-play because you’re just using a different device to play the same version.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:06 AM, DJRone89 said:

Play anywhere is just the ability to play Xbox games on Windows 10. That’s why Xbox users get the Windows 10 version for free, because we technically already own it. If you really boil it down, play anwhere isn’t true cross-play because you’re just using a different device to play the same version.

Let me put out a scenario for you then.

I own and Xbox and have several people in my house. Currently that means only 1 person can play at a time.

When play anywhere goes live I can use my windows 10 pc to play, while someone is enjoying the game at the same time on the xbox. So two separate individuals are able to play on ONE copy of the game.

If I am on steam. Then only I can play, if they want to play they need their own copy of the game... even family share was disabled for ark. So 1 copy = 1 players.

That is the difference. You actually increase the amount of people who can play simultaneously with play anywhere on xbox.. so you are basically getting it for free.

Guest DJRone89
2 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

Let me put out a scenario for you then.

I own and Xbox and have several people in my house. Currently that means only 1 person can play at a time.

When play anywhere goes live I can use my windows 10 pc to play, while someone is enjoying the game at the same time on the xbox. So two separate individuals are able to play on ONE copy of the game.

If I am on steam. Then only I can play, if they want to play they need their own copy of the game... even family share was disabled for ark. So 1 copy = 1 players.

That is the difference. You actually increase the amount of people who can play simultaneously with play anywhere on xbox.. so you are basically getting it for free.

I was just responding to your comment how you think Steam players should get the Windows 10 copy of the game for free, but it’s just the Xbox version playable on PC.

1 minute ago, DJRone89 said:

I was just responding to your comment how you think Steam players should get the Windows 10 copy of the game for free, but it’s just the Xbox version playable on PC.

Just to be clear. I do not think we should necessarily get it for free. I do, however think we should get a decent discount. The windows 10 version of the game has not been available in the windows store... so people that only have a pc and want to play with their friends on xbox are going to be forced to pay full price for something they would have probably picked up in EA if it was possible.

I think the best compromise would be to offer EA players a 30 day grace period to buy the windows 10 version at old EA xbox pricing ($29.99) I believe.

Guest DJRone89
3 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

Just to be clear. I do not think we should necessarily get it for free. I do, however think we should get a decent discount. The windows 10 version of the game has not been available in the windows store... so people that only have a pc and want to play with their friends on xbox are going to be forced to pay full price for something they would have probably picked up in EA if it was possible.

I think the best compromise would be to offer EA players a 30 day grace period to buy the windows 10 version at old EA xbox pricing ($29.99) I believe.

Of course they should pay the full price. They are playing the Xbox version on their PC because they don’t own the console. Why should Xbox players who own the console have to pay a higher price?

4 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Of course they should pay the full price. They are playing the Xbox version on their PC because they don’t own the console. Why should Xbox players who own the console have to pay a higher price?

Because the people on xbox who purchased the game in EA are only paid $29.99. So for an EA player who did not have the windows 10 version available they are forced to pay the now $59.99 launch price, when chances are if it was possible back then they would have purchased for the EA price to save some money in the future.

So basically what it does it PUNISH people who chose to support the game on its original platform.

Guest DJRone89
6 minutes ago, Deathwaits said:

Because the people on xbox who purchased the game in EA are only paid $29.99. So for an EA player who did not have the windows 10 version available they are forced to pay the now $59.99 launch price, when chances are if it was possible back then they would have purchased for the EA price to save some money in the future.

So basically what it does it PUNISH people who chose to support the game on its original platform.

That’s ridiculous. That’s like me buying Ark on Xbox in early access and asking for a discount for the full game when I buy the PS4 version.

The Windows 10 version didn’t have early access because it isn’t available until Play Anywhere launches.

Just now, DJRone89 said:

That’s ridiculous. That’s like me buying Ark on Xbox in early access and asking for a discount for the full game when I buy the PS4 version.

The Windows 10 version didn’t have early access because it isn’t available until Play Anywhere launches.

Exactly my point. It WAS NO AVAILABLE.

Your analogy is using two versions of the game that WERE available. So if I had both platforms and chose to buy one in EA and then wanted the other after.. that would have been something I had full control over.

If I wanted the windows 10 version however, then it was not available and I had no options to get it at EA pricing.. so I am being forced into ONLY being able to pay launch price for it.

Lets also not forget that Play anywhere was suppose to originally be released in November of 2016, long before launch of the game. So that in an of itself caused enough confusion and hope it would release at anytime... yet did it ever release before launch? Nope.

So that means anyone who invested in the steam version and also wanted to grab up the windows 10 version to play with friends on xbox are now being forced to pay twice the cost of what they would have paid if the windows 10 version launched when it was suppose to.

You can argue with me on this until you are blue in the face, but the problem is you are trying to compare two different things.

If I had the windows 10 version available for purchase during EA and chose not to, then paying retails is on me. If I wanted to purchase it since it was announced and was unable to do so because of delays.. then having to pay full retail is crap and fault falls on wildcard in that case.

If you really wanted the Win10 version then after Play Anywhere was announced you could have just purchased the game during EA on Xbox.com, you don't have to have an Xbox to do that, just a Windows account, then just waited until Play Anywhere launched.

I mean, it's not perfect as you obviously wouldn't have been able to play until then, but it was still possible to buy it at EA price.

1 hour ago, Deathwaits said:

Pretty sure Microsoft won't allow this. If you connect with your account on your console and launch the same game currently played on your PC I'm pretty sure the former will gets disconnected. And if it is not Microsoft that prevents it, it will most likely be Wildcard that does. Much like how you cannot use steam-sharing, like you said. I might certainly be wrong, and only time will tells but I'm fairly sure it won't work like that.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:53 AM, Deathwaits said:

Well, do you really think Microsoft would give you a free license because you purchased the same game from one of its competitor?

1 hour ago, Deathwaits said:

Just wait the Christmas sales and you will be able to get an extra copy for that price if not even cheaper if you wish to...

Hello,

Just to sort out the wrongs from the rights. XBOX is limited to 12+ accounts on the same XBOX live GOLD share. Owner of the game must be signed in on one XBOX apart from home XBOX box. Player can only set home XBOX once.

Meaning that you can play anywhere as long as you own the game and have gamer tag that owns XBOX Live Gold. Example You own 2 XBOX yes you can play on all two at once and own one copy.

Hope it helps. And hope it is true after the next update.

Regards,

Ariana

Guest DJRone89
38 minutes ago, thisispreston said:

If you really wanted the Win10 version then after Play Anywhere was announced you could have just purchased the game during EA on Xbox.com, you don't have to have an Xbox to do that, just a Windows account, then just waited until Play Anywhere launched.

I mean, it's not perfect as you obviously wouldn't have been able to play until then, but it was still possible to buy it at EA price.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

Pretty sure Microsoft won't allow this. If you connect with your account on your console and launch the same game currently played on your PC I'm pretty sure the former will gets disconnected. And if it is not Microsoft that prevents it, it will most likely be Wildcard that does. Much like how you cannot use steam-sharing, like you said. I might certainly be wrong, and only time will tells but I'm fairly sure it won't work like that.

You can not play the same game on the same account no, but if your xbox is your home xbox that means ANYONE that plays on it has access to my library. So that means anyone that is at my house can play ark on that xbox, then I can log in to my computer and launch ark and still play it on windows 10 (this has been the case with all play anywhere titles to date). So you can play the game on both platforms at the same time.. on one copy of the game.

Well, do you really think Microsoft would give you a free license because you purchased the same game from one of its competitor?

Do you know how this type of activity even works? Microsoft would purchase X amount of Licenses for it's platform then resell them and pay their at cost price. WIldcard would issue something like a coupon code so that when applied Microsoft logs those codes and turns them to receive a refund on the difference. Meaning the at cost price for those with the coupon would be substantially lower. Microsoft doesn't own the game, they purchase it from the publishing company, the publishing company is able to launch incentives and deals for their product and then the retailers are reimbursed on the cases where it is applied.

Just wait the Christmas sales and you will be able to get an extra copy for that price if not even cheaper if you wish to...

That is assuming it launches on time. It is already over a year past the initial launch date. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. In the end wildcard will do what they want to do, but if they are wanting to show some actual loyalty to their initial supporting base.. then they should take steps to make sure they are not left out in the cold paying full retails for this.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably pay it regardless for the ability to play with family/friends on xbox. The whole situation thought would put a bad taste in my mouth.. and those type of things can be the difference on selling your next game or not.

A good company is defined for how the handle issues/problems. The company failed to release the play anywhere feature on time and as a result people will be forced to pay full retail cost for something they would have gotten for half the price in EA. A good company would understand that and make sure that EA people are able to not getting the short end of the stick due to circumstances that were outside of their control. A bad company though.. it would just keep on keeping on.

As consumers we are getting more and more picky with the expectations we have on a company and for a small studio like wildcard currently is.. that could be the difference between a long standing successful studio or one that releases a few games and is never heard from again.

23 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I think it is on sale for Xbox right now (think I read that in the latest ark news, the same thread announcing that play anywhere is delayed)

While I understand where the logic is coming from on a lot of these responses, I am pretty sure the argument could be had for both sides of this.  While they were late and if released on time it would have been Early Access for $30, it has since been released.  A lot of things may be Wild Card's fault, but I don't work there to confirm such, only what we all see here on the forums.  Now, I think everyone is jumping the gun right now because we don't have any idea what the cost will be upon release on Win 10 but it will PROBABLY be at the current XBOX price which, will either be $60 or you get it while it is on one of its many sales.

Maybe I am not the best to talk here - and I didn't know about this "home XBOX" stuff (guess I am too old to learn about that), so I have bought 4 total copies of ARK.  I have 3 XBOX (I have 2 boys) and got 2 of those copies during EA and 1 was full price.  I also bought the Steam version and paid full price.  Additionally, I bought 2 copies of the Season Pass, one for XBOX and one for Steam.  I love this game and have no issues with how much I have spent on it.  I know not everyone feels the way I do, but there are so many complaints about issues with this game, and a lot of those complaints are justified, but I still love the game for what it is and am happy that my money may go towards fixing some of these issues we have. If I had to have paid $30 more for my 2 EA copies - I'd still do it today.  I don't make a lot of money but I'll pay for something that I enjoy - especially since all 4 copies of the game plus season pass's still costs less than me taking my family out to dinner twice!