RIP ARK? More Content or More Fixes?

CrackerJackx13

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Olivar said:

True.
But I also do not want to dismiss the issues people are having.
I'm sure the complaints and problems that people are experiencing are genuine.

However the simple fact that not everybody is having them, reveals that tracking down, identifying and solving these problems is not an easy task.
Something every programmer/engineer worth his salt can tell you.
Debugging a complex system, especially a video game, is a daunting task.

This is not dismissing problems or issues people are having. We all know that there is bugs that needs to be fixed/improved. I'm just saying that if you let some pixels affect your mood, this is when you have to take a break or find another game to play in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I can get my share of frustrations as well but I try to get over it as quickly. ;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/29/2017 at 5:16 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

I find it incredible that a "solution" is to follow yet another web project (admittedly a good one, I'm not slating the author - it just shouldn't need to exist), rather than the company actually doing things properly in the first instance... But I guess that in itself speaks volumes.

That you don't encounter them bugs doesnt mean they're not there.

They are bugs that affect gameplay some of them are quite annoying and some of them are just awful and should not be in an official released game, you're probably not looking at the game the way I am.
I'm looking for bugs, and I find them.

BäM!

40 minutes ago, RoyHess666 said:

That you don't encounter them bugs doesnt mean they're not there.

They are bugs that affect gameplay some of them are quite annoying and some of them are just awful and should not be in an official released game, you're probably not looking at the game the way I am.
I'm looking for bugs, and I find them.

BäM!

which is exactly what we wrote 3 posts above you......

The way I see it the solution is simple however I feel like they are either to ignorant to the answer or afraid to execute on it.  As everyone has said, they need to charge a monthly subscription or input microtransactions.  The NEED a sustainable income to support the servers and increased development work that they are creating. 

The turret change is a cheap "solution" to the lag issue, I'm gonna guess if you upgraded your servers you wouldn't have an issue, but that cost money that they dont have and can only get if they release new content.  Which in turn takes the small group that is Wildcard and focuses them on that new revenue stream, where they ignore their current problems (because they have to) and because it is completely new content they have entire new set of issues that will take their focus off the exiting issue...I think you guys get the hamster wheel they are on.  But the sad thing is they could easily get the ball rolling on the solution, but they wont and we will continue to get a game with amazing potential, but just couldnt get out of its own way. 

The other option is Wildcard attempts to sell to a more established development company that actually acts on the things listed above and probably makes a boat load of money in the process.

Why not both? People act as if having the entire dev team work on bugfixing is going to dramatically speed up the bugfixing process, and that is just completely false. Game development does not work that way, graphic artists, level designers, etc, typically have no idea what is going on with the coding anyway.

Asking the devs to put content on hold for bugfixing is essentially asking them to lay off everyone else from the jobs for no good reason.

You could make the argument that they could hire more programmers and engineers to fix bugs, but its not as if they will start cranking out bug fixes on day one or even several weeks after hiring since they would have to learn everything about how the coding is all set up.... hetter to leave it to those who have been working on it all along and basically know the mechanics in and out.

The suggestion that Wildcard should choose one or the other only serves to demonstrate a lack of knowledge on how companies work.

For those who aren't aware, most companies have more than one department. In many cases, these departments work on different things. Not all of these departments are crossed-trained or even qualified to complete work in other departments. These departments can and often do work independently of each other, each taking the tasks that reflect their respective departments' knowledge and background. This means that, while one department is working on one task, another department can and should be working on an entirely different task altogether. 

Wildcard isn't going to shut down the rest of the company until one department completes the impossible task of fixing all bugs. New content and bugfixes will continue to happen at the same time. Whether customers think these things are happening too fast or too slow is entirely subjective.

/argument

what if the new content (dlc) was also a misunderstanding in the communication department?

"hey jeff you are in charge for the new dlc, make for us something dark and spooky. maybe with broken ark"
here is where it went wrong

jeff is yet another modder they hired to work for them, and so poor jeff started making a game that is utterly broken, and is using this base game as an example.
release is to be expected somewhere in 2024

4 hours ago, Vaskur said:

That is the most insanely derailed piece of conspiracy crap I've read in a long time, but I have to admit, it is impressively creative.

I love the one comment, "This reads like a crazy guy with pictures all over his wall with red yarn connecting them all."

3 hours ago, CrackerJackx13 said:

undermapping is probably the biggest issue that has gone seemingly unaddressed, what i mean by that, there has yet to be any sort of patch to fix this issue.

You are incorrect. It has been addressed multiple times in various patches. People can't get under meshes the way they used to get under the meshes. Players are always looking for new ways to get an edge, which means new exploits and glitches will always exist. If you carry the unrealistic expectation that developers can permanently fix exploits, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

They have a responsibility to actually produce a working version of their game for paying customers.  It’s not a matter of whether they should fix bugs. I know of many that actually had to quit playing because the game was unplayable for them and WC could care less. 

Another perfect example is Ragnarok, just months old and it was released unfinished, broke, and now is basically unplayable because of lack of server space, lag, non stop crashing, rollbacks, servers caps and for the most part it has been abandoned by wildcard for their new content aberration.  So if this is the pattern that WC is taking then I say fix the game, release a product that actually functions, support that content and then and only then provide new content.  

On 12/1/2017 at 2:42 AM, Olivar said:

True.
But I also do not want to dismiss the issues people are having.
I'm sure the complaints and problems that people are experiencing are genuine.

However the simple fact that not everybody is having them, reveals that tracking down, identifying and solving these problems is not an easy task.
Something every programmer/engineer worth his salt can tell you.
Debugging a complex system, especially a video game, is a daunting task.

absolutly agree but how long has the game been in development and should the team focused on the issues before adding new content? Undermapping is a huge issue.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:30 PM, LouSpowells said:

You are incorrect. It has been addressed multiple times in various patches. People can't get under meshes the way they used to get under the meshes. Players are always looking for new ways to get an edge, which means new exploits and glitches will always exist. If you carry the unrealistic expectation that developers can permanently fix exploits, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

not true, its called a death barrier, and i have yet to see any updates that add this in the 2+ years of development. its just sad

Archived