RIP ARK? More Content or More Fixes?

CrackerJackx13

7 hours ago, Demerus said:

how else will they pay for maintaining official servers? Endless DLC without focusing on the core game forever?

Yes I would rather that. Heck honestly  (this might be a bit overboared) I would rather it would die than start on the slippery slope of microtransactions. I am vehemently against microtransactions being in games. Its one reason I love Ark and will always give credit to the devs. I might have my complaints about the official rates on the servers for example, but I am so glad people cant just buy their progression through those rates. Thank you devs for creating this awesome game and not ruining (I will not get sucked in talking about the bugginess, I will take it as it is for now) it with microtransactions. 

Obviously it depends on  the type of microtransactions that could be added, but in my personal opinion it would completely and utterly ruin the  game. Yes they added those bionic skins as such but honestly I dont want to see more. I want a game in which I gain progression through gameplay not the size of my wallet. There must be other ways to fund these things other than microtransactions *shudders*.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, game barely left early access (game still is early access just not in "title")
and here you are asking for game 2 allready

yea, no
Asking for Ark 2 because like all great games you need at leased 2 years of development time and then a year of testing to get things off the ground. My point is that rather than spending money trying to bug fix (most can't be fixed) or develop more content the time and effort should be now going into thinking about the next edition of Ark. Sure continue to support what they have already made and committed to releasing. And keep a small team on to try fix what can be fixed but the reality is, is that the game needs a rebuild and the nitrado servers simply can't cope so rubber banding and massive lag spikes are just going to be a fact of life. Sure rentable and dedicated servers are less plagued with issues and are likely the future of this edition of ark but I don't trust investing hundreds of hours in a server controlled by someone else who could simply decide one day they are done with ark and shut it all down overnight. Start ark 2 now and in 3 or 4 years we might get the game we all hope for and have cried out from the roof tops for from the beginning.
FACE IT PEOPLE you are not getting it from this version of the game.

22 hours ago, Demerus said:

They should add micro transactions for cosmetics to start and eventually transition into stuff that will help decrease the grind for people who work all day, they pay for it instead of spend extra time farming. kibble, basic crafting matts, premium crafting bonuses, XP Buffs, etc. The kind of stuff that wont mess with balance too much or give anyone an unfair advantage.

This will help generate extra passive revenue and will help fund to keep servers running or possibly open more servers, even?

Look at the cosmetics in wow and how successful it is. Everyone has multiple mounts, transmogs, etc. Why not a similar business model for ARK?

What does the future have in store after the second DLC on the season pass comes out? Another season pass? lol

Lets get the devs to focus more on streamlining the game and fixing it properly instead of the vicious circle of adding more onto the pile of broken things to fix.

Micro transactions is the way to go. Lots of games have been successful and I feel it will fit in nicely with ark if done right.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but I guess not, here's my take on it....

They should add micro transactions for cosmetics to start and eventually transition into stuff that will help decrease the grind for people who work all day, they pay for it instead of spend extra time farming having an enjoyable gameplay experiience. You know crafting stuff, farming for resources, playing the game to advance their characters; lets negate the need to play the game by allowing them to pay for all that. It wont mess with balance too much or give anyone an unfair advantage; other than letting them start at the finish line. Then start designing/changing the game so that the "balanced stuff" is only needed for "convenience" (I.E. must buy to NOT grind like an obsessed trust fund beneficiary).

This will eventually become the primary source of revenue and will help to line the executives pockets as the development team is reduced to only those necessary to generate next month's meta items for the cash shop.

Look at how many games have had their new content come to primarily consist of wardrobe and consumables, why can't Ark do that.

Why release coherent, meaningful, complete content packages when they can release contextless cash shop items piecemeal.

Lets get the devs to focus on revenue rather than gameplay.

Micro transactions is the way to go. Lots of games have been financially successful while selling their souls.

/sarcasm

10 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Yes I would rather that. Heck honestly  (this might be a bit overboared) I would rather it would die than start on the slippery slope of microtransactions. I am vehemently against microtransactions being in games. Its one reason I love Ark and will always give credit to the devs. I might have my complaints about the official rates on the servers for example, but I am so glad people cant just buy their progression through those rates. Thank you devs for creating this awesome game and not ruining (I will not get sucked in talking about the bugginess, I will take it as it is for now) it with microtransactions. 

Obviously it depends on  the type of microtransactions that could be added, but in my personal opinion it would completely and utterly ruin the  game. Yes they added those bionic skins as such but honestly I dont want to see more. I want a game in which I gain progression through gameplay not the size of my wallet. There must be other ways to fund these things other than microtransactions *shudders*.

Pretty much my sentiment as well. You can tell the game was designed without such transactions in mind; otherwise we wouldn't be able to host our own servers. One idea for steady income to keep the servers running is to simply charge a subscription fee to be able to use those servers (with the first 1-3 months included in game purchase, and additional months included in DLCs).

46 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but I guess not, here's my take on it....

They should add micro transactions for cosmetics to start and eventually transition into stuff that will help decrease the grind for people who work all day, they pay for it instead of spend extra time farming having an enjoyable gameplay experiience. You know crafting stuff, farming for resources, playing the game to advance their characters; lets negate the need to play the game by allowing them to pay for all that. It wont mess with balance too much or give anyone an unfair advantage; other than letting them start at the finish line. Then start designing/changing the game so that the "balanced stuff" is only needed for "convenience" (I.E. must buy to NOT grind like an obsessed trust fund beneficiary).

This will eventually become the primary source of revenue and will help to line the executives pockets as the development team is reduced to only those necessary to generate next month's meta items for the cash shop.

Look at how many games have had their new content come to primarily consist of wardrobe and consumables, why can't Ark do that.

Why release coherent, meaningful, complete content packages when they can release contextless cash shop items piecemeal.

Lets get the devs to focus on revenue rather than gameplay.

Micro transactions is the way to go. Lots of games have been financially successful while selling their souls.

/sarcasm

well then RIP official servers in the next 2 years

23 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Ok this is probably a knee jerk reaction giving recent circumstances recently and personal opinion, but Please no. Anything but microtransactions. If you ask me microtransactions are the scourge of modern day gaming.

Microtransactions can be a glorious thing when done properly. They drive revenue where there currently exists none. A developer that relies solely on the sale of a game to make profit can do only one thing to make profit; make more games. Whether that be new maps or completely new games in general depends on the company, but Wildcard is now, and for the foreseeable future, an MMO company. MMO's cannot survive without some sort of steady stream of income to keep the bills paid, keep the employees wage paid, and to pay the rent. This drives a company to either create new content, giving slightly less attention to the current content, or to charge a monthly subscription fee. Currently Wildcard is depending on their box sales and, possibly, paraphernalia, to keep the lights on. If microtransactions were implemented in such a way that it would catch the players eye but not break balance (i.e., costumes, skins, etc.), this would give Wildcard some time between releases to put more effort into game fixes instead of game additions. They'd be able to keep the heat on in the winter with microtransactions, concentrate on bug fixes, hire new developers to work on new releases, all at the same time, instead of relying on one team to do everything. Even a highly skilled and highly organized team of programmers would have a hard time doing everything at once.

There are only 24 hours in a day.

26 minutes ago, Nokosa said:

Microtransactions can be a glorious thing when done properly. They drive revenue where there currently exists none. A developer that relies solely on the sale of a game to make profit can do only one thing to make profit; make more games. Whether that be new maps or completely new games in general depends on the company, but Wildcard is now, and for the foreseeable future, an MMO company. MMO's cannot survive without some sort of steady stream of income to keep the bills paid, keep the employees wage paid, and to pay the rent. This drives a company to either create new content, giving slightly less attention to the current content, or to charge a monthly subscription fee. Currently Wildcard is depending on their box sales and, possibly, paraphernalia, to keep the lights on. If microtransactions were implemented in such a way that it would catch the players eye but not break balance (i.e., costumes, skins, etc.), this would give Wildcard some time between releases to put more effort into game fixes instead of game additions. They'd be able to keep the heat on in the winter with microtransactions, concentrate on bug fixes, hire new developers to work on new releases, all at the same time, instead of relying on one team to do everything. Even a highly skilled and highly organized team of programmers would have a hard time doing everything at once.

There are only 24 hours in a day.

Don't  get me wrong I fully understand that the devs need to get payed to pay the bills, keep the lights on and what not. I just would like alternatives to these microtransactions. I honestly dont have a problem with this taking the form of skins or costumes or what not. Having spoken to others, most people seem fine with microtransactions for cosmetics, citing Overwatch in which apparantly you can only buy skins and it doesnt impact on gameplay (I dont have experience with Overwatch). I have no problem with this, but I cant see microtransactions for purely just cosmetics bringing in that sort of income (mind you what do I know about economics or game developing for that matter so maybe it might haha). As soon as people start talking about it for things that start affecting gameplay then its a no no for me.

Personally I'm happy with the content, I play PvE, really enjoy the breeding and trading with other players, but the bugs make it annoying to the point all the joy of the game is lost. i.e. You spend hours looking for dino to tame only for the said dino to disappear in front of you mid tame, or you plan to hatch a dino that takes a long time to take care for, make arrangements with tribemates and then baby starves because of unplayable server ping when you can't do anything or the time for it mature extends (due to rollbacks and high ping) by several hours and you can't imprint it as you would wish. That's the point where you lose joy from a simple things, and no extra content will change that if you can't play the game properly.

On 27/11/2017 at 12:56 AM, CrackerJackx13 said:

This has been a ongoing discussion in the community for a long time, but should the devs put out more content to keep there player base complacent, or should they fix bugs in the game? What would save Ark, content or patches??:Rex:

RIP  ??????

Stop that kind of topic. We veteran players are tired of it. Play the game, simple.

Every game has bugs, even after a campaign to fix all bugs. I have seen and been witness to all sorts of movements in the gaming industry. You won't be able to rid yourselves of game bugs. Some cannot even be fixed, as the reasons for why they exist made no logical sense when reviewed as code. To fix it, requires rewriting the game mechanic in some cases, which can be sometimes not worth the effort for the result to make something work as intended.
And then you need new content, because otherwise the game becomes stale for the audience. This game is a sandbox type game, to an extent that is. It is somewhat like a theme park. However to make a theme park continue to be attractive, you need new content, you need something to continue to do. However the current game imho is set to keep people needing to play, rather than wanting to play. Not needing to because of an addiction, but rather a need to keep their stuff alive and active on official. However this is stupid, because people have jobs, people have social lives, unless you hate people, and people have other games. So as a result, you have people taking care of dinosaurs, rather than enjoying other aspects of the game itself.
This comment is the most importa t thing on the forums

ALL CREDIT TO Popojijo for solution! With all the bugs the game has (non-dedicated cave glitches anyone?) you need to stop adding content for now. Quantity does NOT beat quality. Please fix the content you have and improve console aspects along with current content before you go back to adding more.

This is something people have been begging for that has fallen on deaf ears. Until servers stop dumping everyone on them daily (constantly if anyone of any size is fighting) and at a persistent state of lag NO ONE should purchase any further DLC. 

This new DLC will be in a cave setting, something that is notorious for severing connections to servers. 100% of the time I go into any sizable cave I crash so hard I have to force close and restart the game. Imagine an entire map of that kind of lag... 

What do you think there doing? Their not a big group and this is a major game, Yes some bugs are still here but not a lot. There trying to get rid of the lag by making the turrets to 100 per tribe. Their doing this because they found out from a recent study that turrets make the most lag. I hate people like this. I want to see one of you make a game like this expect there to not be bugs and try to work with not a lot of people. Try, I dare you..

59 minutes ago, Binzel said:

What do you think there doing? Their not a big group and this is a major game, Yes some bugs are still here but not a lot. There trying to get rid of the lag by making the turrets to 100 per tribe. Their doing this because they found out from a recent study that turrets make the most lag. I hate people like this. I want to see one of you make a game like this expect there to not be bugs and try to work with not a lot of people. Try, I dare you..

"Yes some bugs are still here but not a lot." <------- Then you probably don't play that often and/or haven't seen my massive list of bugs and issues with the game.

This game has bugs that a fully released game should _NOT_ have at all, it is just awful how something like this is left in the game since the official release.

1 hour ago, RoyHess666 said:

"Yes some bugs are still here but not a lot." <------- Then you probably don't play that often and/or haven't seen my massive list of bugs and issues with the game.

This game has bugs that a fully released game should _NOT_ have at all, it is just awful how something like this is left in the game since the official release.

Sorry but I'm with Binzel.
The majority of issues listed simply do not happen in my gaming sessions.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Sorry but I'm with Binzel.
The majority of issues listed simply do not happen in my gaming sessions.

And whenever something unexpected happens, I like to remind me that I'm on a strange island with extraterrestrial technologies so who know if this was really not expected in the end. ^_^

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

And whenever something unexpected happens, I like to remind me that I'm on a strange island with extraterrestrial technologies so who know if this was really not expected in the end. ^_^

True.
But I also do not want to dismiss the issues people are having.
I'm sure the complaints and problems that people are experiencing are genuine.

However the simple fact that not everybody is having them, reveals that tracking down, identifying and solving these problems is not an easy task.
Something every programmer/engineer worth his salt can tell you.
Debugging a complex system, especially a video game, is a daunting task.

Archived