question XBOX ONE How do I start a server?

In order to start a server for Xbox one there are a couple ways and soon to be a third. 

1st option: purchase a second Xbox one to run a server from. This hosts what is called a dedicated server, since it is a dedicated server, that Xbox solely runs as the server for your game, allowing multiple people to connect and no tether distance. The downside to this is that there is always bugs with the dedicated server system. Since there is no back up feature, if your save becomes corrupt everything will be lost. 

2nd option: rent a server through Nitrado. This option allows for more customizability over the server you rent and different options for amount of slots to rent. As it is pc hosted, with back ups, should there be issues with a save corruption, you should be able to restore to an older save. Downside to this is you have to rent the server. Prices vary, but it is reasonably priced

3rd option: cross play on a windows 10 computer. Once cross play is out you will be able to host a dedicated server on a windows 10 computer. From everything the devs have indicated, it will be the exact same as hosting a dedicated server from a second Xbox. So all the downsides to option 1 will be the same for this. 

28 minutes ago, KingGalahad said:

In order to start a server for Xbox one there are a couple ways and soon to be a third. 

1st option: purchase a second Xbox one to run a server from. This hosts what is called a dedicated server, since it is a dedicated server, that Xbox solely runs as the server for your game, allowing multiple people to connect and no tether distance. The downside to this is that there is always bugs with the dedicated server system. Since there is no back up feature, if your save becomes corrupt everything will be lost. 

2nd option: rent a server through Nitrado. This option allows for more customizability over the server you rent and different options for amount of slots to rent. As it is pc hosted, with back ups, should there be issues with a save corruption, you should be able to restore to an older save. Downside to this is you have to rent the server. Prices vary, but it is reasonably priced

3rd option: cross play on a windows 10 computer. Once cross play is out you will be able to host a dedicated server on a windows 10 computer. From everything the devs have indicated, it will be the exact same as hosting a dedicated server from a second Xbox. So all the downsides to option 1 will be the same for this. 

So you either pay lots of money and hope to get lucky, pay a website to give you a server, or hope that the ARK devs don't pull of another No Mans Sky move.... Sigh... Well on XBOX One is there any way to remove the tether distance or at least expand it along with if there is any way to remove the teleportation cave bug?

13 hours ago, IrritatedCheese said:

So you either pay lots of money and hope to get lucky, pay a website to give you a server, or hope that the ARK devs don't pull of another No Mans Sky move.... Sigh... Well on XBOX One is there any way to remove the tether distance or at least expand it along with if there is any way to remove the teleportation cave bug?

The Xbox one x was supposed to remove tether (according to tweets from Jeremy) but they later changed that to increasing tether distance but as other threads on here have said, the increase was minimal. Unfortunately there is no way to increase tether with a non dedicated server

14 hours ago, KingGalahad said:

The Xbox one x was supposed to remove tether (according to tweets from Jeremy) but they later changed that to increasing tether distance but as other threads on here have said, the increase was minimal. Unfortunately there is no way to increase tether with a non dedicated server

So basically the devs lied....

On 2017-11-26 at 10:33 AM, IrritatedCheese said:

If you do go with dedicated server (second Xbox to host from) you can password it so only friends can join, and if you enable transfers, you can store your dinos on your single player. Giving some measure of security if you get good mutations

11 hours ago, KingGalahad said:

If you do go with dedicated server (second Xbox to host from) you can password it so only friends can join, and if you enable transfers, you can store your dinos on your single player. Giving some measure of security if you get good mutations

I don't have the money to get a second one... Well I guess I just need to hope to Devs show mercy some day.

1 hour ago, Graug said:

I've been using Nitrado. It's $13 plus tax for a ten person server for 30 days. It haven't noticed any lag or problems so far. You can customize the settings pretty inventively and is fairly easy to figure out. You will have to install the app on your xbox to order a server. The website only supports ps4 and pc.

So I either pay off Microsoft alot of money or a group of douches charging me money for something I should have if Wildcard were not such lying rip off jerks. These are neither good choices.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, IrritatedCheese said:

So I either pay off Microsoft alot of money or a group of douches charging me money for something I should have if Wildcard were not such lying rip off jerks.

You can pay Microsoft for a product or you can pay a web hosting company for a service.

Nobody works for free.

The limitation put on the game (only running it through Nitrado at the moment) was one imposed by Microsoft for security reasons. Not by WC.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You can pay Microsoft for a product or you can pay a web hosting company for a service.

Nobody works for free.

The limitation put on the game (only running it through Nitrado at the moment) was one imposed by Microsoft for security reasons. Not by WC.

This game is hardly worth $60! It's like No Mans Sky all over again! I pay for a decent game and am forced to pay about $150 extra to enjoy the full extent of it!

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, IrritatedCheese said:

This game is hardly worth $60! It's like No Mans Sky all over again! I pay for a decent game and am forced to pay about $150 extra to enjoy the full extent of it!

That's the great part of a free consumer driven market. For example, you think the game is not worth the money. You don't have to buy it or play it.

It's awesome.

21 hours ago, IrritatedCheese said:

Not when they lie about it!

They lied about servers, XBOX, and possibly more! No justification at all and further more they ignore anyone who asks "Why was my Legacy server deleted?! You said you wouldn't!" or "Hey! I thought you said there would be infinite tether distance for XBOX one X!".

Archived