old player returning worth it?

Chronosphere

Guest DJRone89

In terms of server performance, it would depend on what game mode you will be playing.

Official servers are experiencing some of the worst lag ever, though this will be improved with the upcoming turret nerf (check the mega threads and join the discussion).

The core game mechanics have definitely improved over the past year though some day one bugs still exist to the extent people are pretty rife in complaints about them - snap points are the bain of my Ark experience.

Overall the game is in a much better shape than what it was but it’s the issues that have remained without any indication of a potential fix that probably annoys players the most.

Official players will have the most to say in regards to the game however that is not a true representation of its entirety but will give you an idea.

The load times and rendering has greatly improved from 6 months ago. If you don't have SSD or you have an older gfx card you are gonna experience some slow performance. I have SSD and the game loads in seconds. I have a gtx 1080 and it runs 40-100+ fps in epic. Playing on official servers right now is gonna be annoying due to base loading & over population...

9 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

The load times and rendering has greatly improved from 6 months ago. If you don't have SSD or you have an older gfx card you are gonna experience some slow performance. I have SSD and the game loads in seconds. I have a gtx 1080 and it runs 40-100+ fps in epic. Playing on official servers right now is gonna be annoying due to base loading & over population...

Running from a 7y old standard HDD using a GTX 1050 on an i5.
Maps load in less then 20 seconds, boss rooms load/teleport instantly, and the game runs pretty smooth on high settings.

On 24/11/2017 at 9:30 AM, Chronosphere said:

Hello community, :)

was wondering ive been catching up on some patch notes and ive seen few performances gains.. is there any difference that people feel from 6mnths ago too now? or still waitinf for direct x  ?:)

If you want to experience 30 sec lag spikes, and 255 ping then you should return. It feels much worse than it did 6 months ago, most of the time you will be doing everything 2 or 3 times. Yep! rubber banding is still a thing, floating dinos is still a thing, underwater creatures beaching themselves is still a thing, tames sinking into foundations is still a thing, the list goes on :P

Most of what the guys above have said is true. Depending on what Ark experience your looking for is also dependant on what performance you'll recieve. Lag seems to be better on unofficial if ran on decent hardware, official is just plain old aids with regards to performance. I can only speak from my own personal experience but i've seen many people leaving due to alot of issues on the whole. I suppose if you get a close group of friends on a private server you'll have lots of fun...apart from that i wouldn't bother...that's just my opinion though so take it as you will.

The new Rag map is gorgeous but has several issues and seems laggier than the island, scorch, or the center. That could be due to over population but I think it still has a lot of refinement to go as well. 

The game is up and down on performance. In the same weekend after the update it felt like rendering was so much smoother coming into our base. Then the next day I blue screen in the wide open ocean with no bases anywhere in render distance. 

Occasional messed up dino spawns exist but to a less degree. Dino's being glitched into the floor and getting stuck on invisible objects is still frequent. Render distance has improved for wyvern's, rex's, and bronto's as opposed to even 2 months ago, but behemoth gates still just pop into frame causing massive lag and occasional DC's. 

There isn't anything really new as far as game play goes. They added the first Ark's end boss but outside of that it's Ark. Tame, breed and raise, build, harvest. Repeat until you get what you want. 

These are all official PVE PS4 viewpoints. 

Archived