Whips And PVP

ForzaProiettile

I understand the farming PVE aspects of the whip and the counter it provides to being picked up by flyers but I have to say ever since its introduction through SE, the whip has kind of broken the melee game in a lot of ways. It acts as non lethal melee weapon that basically lets you steal their weapon from outside the range in which they even can hurt you.

Until recently the meta for melee was to run around naked with a club and one hit players. Clubs were widely considered broken because they rendered other melee weapons totally pointless and were nerfed thankfully. Ever since then though I've noticed in a lot of large tribes raids I've helped out in that a new meta seems to have developed and it involves whips in much the same way it previously involved clubs. Take a broken mechanic and abuse it. If you watch  a lot of the raid videos on youtube, you will see players just running around often stark naked whipping each other. Not only does it look retarded it makes melee weapons completely redundant since you can hardly use them before they are wiped from you. 

In my opinion the whip should not be able to disarm players, its a feature that is too strong and really doesn't add anything of value to gameplay. It's a dumb feature that was poorly thoughtout right from the beginning. If it must remain a feature at least disable it's ability to disarm melee players which would perfect makes sense since if you think about it a soldier holding a sword or pike is going to be holding that weapon pretty damn firm in his grasp. 

8 hours ago, Mctoozle said:

I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about whips. It's way too easy to disarm another player. The whip should be able to pick up eggs and dropped stuff, but the disarming is ridiculous. Maybe it could disarm pistols but swords and pikes break the whip instead? 

Agreed. I don't have a problem with its PVE functions but it seems really out of place when it comes to PVP. A sort of strange toy that is surprisingly effective and unfortunately one that breaks the melee game.

4 hours ago, Goaty said:

Whip the whipper before you get whipped it's pretty simple. Sometimes countering things you have to use the same thing. Also use y plants to aid in getting them stuck.

Or if you see or hear a guy with a whip quickly put your weapon away lol its not hard to counter it

If the only counter to something is itself then that is a sure sign it is indeed unbalanced.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:18 AM, Mctoozle said:

I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about whips. It's way too easy to disarm another player. The whip should be able to pick up eggs and dropped stuff, but the disarming is ridiculous. Maybe it could disarm pistols but swords and pikes break the whip instead? 

I rarely get into melee combat after low levels, its all ranged weapons,C4, and tames.

7 hours ago, Rancor said:

I rarely get into melee combat after low levels, its all ranged weapons,C4, and tames.

It is true it is not easy to be melee player late game. There are a lot of cards stacked against you. That said it would be nice if the game didn't penalize melee players so badly as it currently does, ranged weapons are already strong enough vs you but then you have this whip weapon which makes your ability rather useless.

Whips make perfect sense being able to disarm you... they make perfect sense the way they are balanced in pvp.. the pve function of picking up things like pearls or eggs is what doesn’t make sense lol, how are you going to whip up pearls, really?

i carry 2 whips when I pvp, and a 3rd one in my bird... incase my whip gets whipped. It’s strong but it’s not OP... there will always be a “strongest” pvp meta option, personally I think whips are funner and more strategic than clubs.

whips can be countered tho....wooden shield? Crossbow graples? PlantY? Unarmed?.... if you’re good enough, you can counter a simple whip.

Archived