The Future of Flyers

RadicalFriday67

7 hours ago, Pommer said:

Wyverns, argies or griffin (haven’t seen one yet, are they aggressive?). Ok argies generally not a issue but what about wyverns, I’ve been caught out by a wyvern on my argie before 

Wyverns are massive, laser/fire/poison shooting lizards, and are only really a ting near the trenches, easy to avoid.  Argies and Griffins have a small Agro radius, therefor not a big threat.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most big tribes lose 2 or 3 pteras a day from tribe members silly mistakes while out on the daily grind. Disconnects , enemy turrets , getting knocked out by a troodon at a drop or when farming, random trolls ambushes , running out of Stam in the wrong spot  . There are many ways to lose your flyer . 

If they are so much better than land mounts then how come people hardly ever lose their land mounts ? You can hop  a frog round the map through the swamp cave and back no problem (probably quicker than a flyer ) , or your thylo can run around jumping off mountains killing anything it sees without a problem.  Even if a troodon knocked you out on a land mount your mount will kill it no problem and you can carry on doing what you was doing, if you leave your flyer on neutral it will be gone when you wake up anyway and the time it takes to find it you could have bred a new one so it may as well be dead.  

Anyone who thinks flyers are untouchable take the challenge  , tame 10 pteras LVL 150 and then tame 10 bears LVL 150 , leave them in base and tell your tribe they are all free to use for anyone that wants them. Come back in two weeks and see how many pteras are alive vs bears. This way you can see which is really the untouchable mount.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:03 AM, Mortus said:

I sort of felt that they did things backward with the speed lock. What I would have rather seen them do is lock stamina at a reasonable level and allow speed to be leveled to about where their current sprinting speed is. Then, in addition, have stamina drain be based on how much speed and damage is leveled. The net result being that flyers that have been heavily leveled in these areas would be able to sustain those activities for a shorter amount of time. For example, a Ptera that has been leveled heavily in speed can cruise to their destination fairly quickly but would have a very short sprint duration. A similar Ptera with those points put into damage output would be able to do high damage but be very limited in how many attacks they can attempt before needing rest. Thus players would still have had options but there would have been tradeoffs to trying to hyper level stats like damage and speed.

As it sits to travel quickly from place to place one needs to level stamina heavily and have their pinky get tired holding shift when traveling long distances, thus using sprinting in the place of regular flight. In truth sprinting should be something used very sparingly with very limited stamina, and regular flight being fast enough to be acceptable as a flyers main movement mode. Likewise, the method used to limit high damage flyers seems to be to make them so slow that they are easy to kill rather than allow them to do high burst damage over very limited attacks.

Every single flying creature with the exception of the butterfly can increase speed by diving, though that is not reflected in this game - just wanted to point that out. Likewise if you have ever seen an eagle stoop to grab something you would notice the target, if not killed by the hit instantly, is knocked out cold. But I guess that's just too OP for the game, right? Griffins can do that, sort of, but now there are a ton of babies crying OP!! OP!! Not realizing they can get a Griffin and do the same damn thing themselves so there is no OP. Not even a saddle requirement, which means that if the Ptero was turned into nothing, and it needed a saddle, how much more should the Griffin be nerfed? What about the Equus, or the Dire Wolf? They need no saddle either, so I guess it's too easy for low level players to get them. NERF THEM!!!! ....Give me a break.

Somehow in this game the fact that all players have access to the same thing which means there is nothing OP about anything has been twisted into something else by a by a bunch of gamer babies. You don't like to do something so it's bad and should be halted, or you lost to something that was, IYO, too easy to do, so it has to stop. ie, maybe flying on the ptero freaks you out because you got a big screen and have a phobia about heights. Maybe you think because some low level players are able to beat you with superior tactics means they are too powerful for their level - which is total BS but what do I know, it's a game where levels give you access, not determine your success or failure. Your lack of skill and misuse of intelligence is making you lose fights. I am not going to address hacks except to say the cheater is making the game bad due to the cheating, not because the game works the way it does. And if the game can't do something properly because it's been programmed to allow players to do something else to excess, like breeding causing problems with turrets because of speed (thought I suspect it's always been the number of turrets and other calculations causing that, not the speed of the ptero itself since there are only so many ptero but hundreds of turrets), that does not mean nerf the ptero - it means fix breeding and fix the calculations.

Like it has been said all over the internet  - Scissors - Please nerf Rock, Paper is just fine. - This sort of response to intelligence in games needs to be stopped cold. When developers try to direct game-play because they have some kind of bias it only makes the game worse - except for their chosen ones. WC gave people tools, and the people should determine how best to use them for themselves. If you are losing all the time to certain tactics, learn a way to counter them. But stop crying you babies.

On 11/22/2017 at 4:53 PM, RadicalFriday67 said:

After the nerf that took away the ability to upgrade movement speed on flyers, people shortly just stopped using them. The only decently fast flyer was the Pteranodon, but its weight was too low to be used for transport. The Queztal became the worst flyer in the game, the Argy became the only flyer people somewhat used, Wyverns were still bugged to hell and had horrible stamina, the Lymantria... well no one uses that thing, but still, the flyers are suck. Now I don't know if this is true, but apparently Studio Wildcard is adding a feature that you will be able to add movement speed to flyers again! How wonderful does that sound?

The flyer nerf happened like what, 8 months ago? So you are complaining about it now? Flyers are being used everyday!

Argents are always relevant no matter how far a player is into the game because of how versatile they are as a mount.

Ptera is a quick get away mount for early game and for wyvern eggs if you don't already have a wyvern and they were never meant to carry as much as an argent. Do they look beefy enough to carry a ton?

Wyverns are still used because they are fast and can fight off almost anything, and their Stamina is fine BY THE WAY. And what do you mean Wyverns are bugged?? Mine work perfectly fine.

The Quetzal can carry the most out of any flyer and can have a base built on it's back, being slower is the tradeoff.

What do you mean "people shortly just stopped using them". I use a flyer multiple times EVERYDAY! Have you played Ark since the flyer nerf???

25 minutes ago, Probitas said:

Not realizing they can get a Griffin and do the same damn thing themselves so there is no OP.

This kind of logic is broken. When something in the game cannot be compared to or dealt with anything else but itself then by definition that something is out of balance or OP in short.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:38 PM, SmokeyB said:

I' m actually surprised to see so many people hating on flyers and in favour of the flyer nerf and people even happy how the flyers are , not wanting speed and Stam back and even some people wanting more nerfs. 

It' like do you guys even play this game ? You definitely don' play official PvP do you. The flyer nerf was the stupidest thing that ever happened to this game. If you haven't noticed 3 out of 4 maps are designed for flyers , you need to fly to access most of the map . This means people have to use flyers. So nerfing their speed into oblivion and taking all their Stam didn't change anything. As said above most players still ride flyers and still raid with them , just now it's not as much fun. What wild card did was nerf the fun of the game.

In no way was it beneficial to game play for a player to need 15 minutes to travel from the underworld to the redwoods and need to stop 6 times on the way. It was just frustrating. 

In no way was every flyer needing to pump only Stam beneficial to the game it just killed build variety . 

In no way was nerfing the good flyers special attacks helpfull to the game. I got a dragon that can't breath fire because it will have to land. And a ptera can only barrel roll once urgh why ? That was the worst change of it all.

People used to love quetz and take pride in breeding them . Then they killed it's health Stam and speed all in one go making it only good for carrying an anky. I was always on a quetz and now I can't even ride one because it makes me want to quit the game.

Getting dragon milk is now tedious. It used to be fun to transfer a Ptera to scorched and get some eggs and some drops  , do a quick milk run to transfer back to your island map . Now it is just a headache . You know someone messed up when the only thing that is good for getting milk is a dragon but you need the milk to get the dragon. ( Griffin wasn't out yet so not included).

So if wild card have admitted their mistake and are trying to fix it that is a good thing. The game was way more fun back then. It is not helpfull for trolls to post negative opinions and backwards ideas , it just confuses the issue. Flyer nerf BAD. Flyer speed and Stam GOOD. 

Fix barrel rolling. Some of us actually like riding dinos and don't want to be riding around on made up creatures  Also fix pteras fitting through doors again. That was another stupid unnecessary change.

To be fair if wc just reverted the game to what ever version it was when therizino was released they would fix the game so much.

very very untrue i remember before the flyer nerf. it was not fun it was chance. the flyers where to fast to do anything the flyer nerf made them reasonable and while there is still an element of chance in the dog fights it sure is a lot better. just in case you hadnt noticed you can breed pteras. breed them to level 400 if you have the time and then they will have at least 1000 stam from birth. the pteras fitting through doors doesnt even make sense. it was a bug from the start and they fixed it for a reason. im sorry if  the exploits you used dont work anymore but thats jsut the way games work. here is my final statement Flyer nerd GOOD  flyer speed and stam BAD

On 11/25/2017 at 9:22 PM, SmokeyB said:

Most big tribes lose 2 or 3 pteras a day from tribe members silly mistakes while out on the daily grind. Disconnects , enemy turrets , getting knocked out by a troodon at a drop or when farming, random trolls ambushes , running out of Stam in the wrong spot  . There are many ways to lose your flyer . 

If they are so much better than land mounts then how come people hardly ever lose their land mounts ? You can hop  a frog round the map through the swamp cave and back no problem (probably quicker than a flyer ) , or your thylo can run around jumping off mountains killing anything it sees without a problem.  Even if a troodon knocked you out on a land mount your mount will kill it no problem and you can carry on doing what you was doing, if you leave your flyer on neutral it will be gone when you wake up anyway and the time it takes to find it you could have bred a new one so it may as well be dead.  

Anyone who thinks flyers are untouchable take the challenge  , tame 10 pteras LVL 150 and then tame 10 bears LVL 150 , leave them in base and tell your tribe they are all free to use for anyone that wants them. Come back in two weeks and see how many pteras are alive vs bears. This way you can see which is really the untouchable mount.

comformation bias my friend.  flyers and land mounts die the same amount from stupid mistakes (except maybe turrets) but there are just less people using land mounts so less die

On 11/25/2017 at 9:22 AM, SmokeyB said:

Anyone who thinks flyers are untouchable take the challenge  , tame 10 pteras LVL 150 and then tame 10 bears LVL 150 , leave them in base and tell your tribe they are all free to use for anyone that wants them. Come back in two weeks and see how many pteras are alive vs bears.

Obviously will be more ptera death.
The question is who will be more used?
Ptera will be more used by far and bears will just stay there idle.
How much people you see using land animals during your gameplay? Very few.
In the majority of time who you spot a player he will be seen using flying tames.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:22 AM, SmokeyB said:

Lol? Yes, people lose more flyers than land mounts. That is a factual statement. This is because people USE more flyers than land mounts. Hell, the only reason I ever use a mount that isn't flying is if I am specifically harvesting a resource, like stone, wood, or berries or doing a cave run. But if I am going to a drop? Flyer. Scouting? Flyer. Raiding? Flyer. Rescue mission? Flyer. There are very few scenarios where a flyer is not more advantageous than a land mount.

1 hour ago, Stephania said:

In the majority of time who you spot a player he will be seen using flying tames.

Well I certainly wouldnt use my ptera for fiber farming....

I disagree that the bear would be idle. Ibwould also disagree with the ptera being used more. If those are the only two tames I had, I would use the ptera to get around quickly and thats about it, they have so little weight and stamina you couldnt transport much weight around, only yourself and very little equipment. The bear is a versatile tame. Use it for fiber, berry and meat farming. Would also use as a tank and a sledge hammer, those things can hold their own taking out much larger creatures. Between the two I would use the dire bear much more often. 

Also I disagree in someways with most people I would see out and about using flyers. Maybe wyverns would be the exception (a very very very versatile tame they are) or even argies for lower level folks doing their weight runs. Most people I would encounter would be on rexs and gigas (bearing in mind this was on the Island back on legacy not that much would have changed in that regard). Flyers are only useful if you want to get about quickly, especially on the island and on official. Caviate is they become much more useful (thinking wyverns here) at higher gather rates (in my opinion) say for meat farming as I have found out on my unofficial servers compared to official rates. 

1 hour ago, Stephania said:

That's because too many land mounts are still buggy garbage that still get stuck on terrain and other creatures far too much. The flyer nerf did nothing to fix the buggy inferiority that's in too many of the land mounts. People will always choose to use flyers more when the other alternative is such a pain. It's also why people take plans over long road trips in real life.

Also just a bit of a brain fart here to follow my previous comment. I see alot of suggestions saying flyers are OP and none one uses land creatures anymore. Maybe I am looking to far into this but oh well. What do people actually use flyers for (bearing in mind I am coming from a general PvE stand point) ? Getting around the place quickly is about it.

I am going to take a step back here to look at other dinos and their uses. What do I use for meat runs ? Giga/rex. What do I use for stone, wood, fiber, metal  and thatch runs ? Doed, Castor/mammoth/thorny, bear/theri, anky and deer. What do I use for general tankyness about the island ? Rex. What do I use for exploring ? Equus/thylo. What do I use for shallow water exploration?  Bary. What do I use for deep water ? Basil/mosa/plesi. I certainly wouldnt use flyers for any of these tasks. Ok I would use flyers to transport some of these from A to B, but I dont see a problem with that. I mean I am not going to walk my anky from my base to the nearest metal spawn, only so many hours in the day, and in some cases this is impossible. But my point is flyers are extremely useful but certainly not the ultra uber useful tame, they do what is needed.

In terms of getting about the place I would use a fast flyer, particularly wyverns and this is probably truer on the larger maps such as Ragnarok, I only have so many hours in the day. This is why flying in the first place is a thing, its a fast mode of transport. Its supposed to be fast.

Apologies for the brain fart, turned into more of a ramble/rant than i ment it to be.

23 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Also just a bit of a brain fart here to follow my previous comment. I see alot of suggestions saying flyers are OP and none one uses land creatures anymore. Maybe I am looking to far into this but oh well. What do people actually use flyers for (bearing in mind I am coming from a general PvE stand point) ? Getting around the place quickly is about it.

I am going to take a step back here to look at other dinos and their uses. What do I use for meat runs ? Giga/rex. What do I use for stone, wood, fiber, metal  and thatch runs ? Doed, Castor/mammoth/thorny, bear/theri, anky and deer. What do I use for general tankyness about the island ? Rex. What do I use for exploring ? Equus/thylo. What do I use for shallow water exploration?  Bary. What do I use for deep water ? Basil/mosa/plesi. I certainly wouldnt use flyers for any of these tasks. Ok I would use flyers to transport some of these from A to B, but I dont see a problem with that. I mean I am not going to walk my anky from my base to the nearest metal spawn, only so many hours in the day, and in some cases this is impossible. But my point is flyers are extremely useful but certainly not the ultra uber useful tame, they do what is needed.

In terms of getting about the place I would use a fast flyer, particularly wyverns and this is probably truer on the larger maps such as Ragnarok, I only have so many hours in the day. This is why flying in the first place is a thing, its a fast mode of transport. Its supposed to be fast.

Apologies for the brain fart, turned into more of a ramble/rant than i ment it to be.

I mainly used a Pelagornis and it's main use was getting Cnidaria venom and fish. Before Hesperornis was added I would use it to kill penguins and get polymer but club, Moschops, and Therizino were always more effecient, Pela is only faster. When I moved to Ragnarok I used Wyverns to help carry new tames to my main base if they were far away, and I would use Griffins for fast travel since WC decided to completely break flyer mount speeds but not much else, I'm really not impressed with their stats.

As far as main farming there is Therizino which harvests everything, beavers/mammoths/thorny dragons for wood, most herbivores can get thatch off trees. A lot of dinos get berries. I use Allos to get mea and hide. There's even land based creature ways to farm both types of pearls now, although slowly. You're right in that flying mounts have never seriously been the go to mounts to get everything done and honestly pvp players that complain about them or anything else being OP aren't motivated enough to actually bother learning different strategies and why should that be the rest of our problem? It never should.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:38 PM, DarthaNyan said:

This kind of logic is broken. When something in the game cannot be compared to or dealt with anything else but itself then by definition that something is out of balance or OP in short.

Incorrect, your logic is faulty. What you are saying is that in a war, because guns are more powerful than swords, people should stick to swords. If the only way to combat a problem is to meet the problem equally (and all players can get Griffins), then there is no OP beyond people choosing to not engage them. That is choice, not an inherent advantage. You are giving the advantage by choosing not to exploit it yourself.

To clarify, if playing an MMO, and you get to create only one character with it's own set of skills and pros/cons, and you go up against other players, you sometimes find that some characters are OP compared to all others - that is bad design. But, you have to be careful with that label, because sometimes it's just the way an ability is being used that is perfectly legit, it's just that no one thought to do that and doesn't like being on the receiving end of it (similar to pteros and speed due to breeding, it was never the ptero that was at fault, it was the lack of limits placed in breeding). In Ark, all players are free to learn what engrams they wish, other than a max engram point limit, which all players have equally, and it's their choices that limit that character, though in groups it's less so due to other players having chosen differently. And if players wish to avoid being overun due to a certain dinos neutral abilities (it's all in how they are used remember), and still will not use that themselves, you can see that the refusal to adapt is a choice, and not due to the dino.

12 hours ago, Glerian said:

Lol? Yes, people lose more flyers than land mounts. That is a factual statement. This is because people USE more flyers than land mounts. Hell, the only reason I ever use a mount that isn't flying is if I am specifically harvesting a resource, like stone, wood, or berries or doing a cave run. But if I am going to a drop? Flyer. Scouting? Flyer. Raiding? Flyer. Rescue mission? Flyer. There are very few scenarios where a flyer is not more advantageous than a land mount.

This is why people adapted planes during war time. Flying is such a huge advantage in any combat, and a lot of non-combat roles too. Of course losers would prefer no one has them if they can't muster a lot of their own. It sucks to lose.

Finally, and I am repeating myself from another thread here: (@ DarthaNyan said: )You said "cannot be compared to or dealt with anything else but itself". OP means can't be beat. But you said that you can beat the Griffin with a Griffin of your own. Where is the OP? I think you guys are too used to Rock-Paper-Scissors MMOs that create cookie cutter classes that people min/max to find the best for PvP and use solely that (which by the way is only similar to ARK in that you can get a Griffin like others can get, but you are not prevented from getting one like an MMO would keep you from creating that character if you already had one and didn't want to give it up. In an MMO OP can appear, due to the limits players have in creating an avatar. Not so in ARK.)

I think players need to learn to adapt and stop trying to create static fields of battle. Why do you think terrorist nations all want Nukes? Because they know that would put them on the same footing as the other nations that have them. That's real life, but I can see a very clear similarity. Compare the Griffin to a nuke. And there is no G8 working hard behind the scenes to stop you from getting a Griffin either.

And it's about damn time a flying dino was able to use it's speed and ability to dive to an advantage that is realistic. Argies should be able to stoop too at least, but I doubt they'll let them. Even Pteros likely did this when hunting fish, diving and stabbing them and eating them leisurely back at the nest. The only reason certain creatures are even viable in nature is due to natural abilities they possess and this game is only able to shed disbelief due to the design that mimics these. Like our opposable thumbs. Frankly, any diving flyer should be able to do massive damage to an unsuspecting foe (except the moth, no way can that thing damage you). Now, if like a wolf or cat it saw it coming, then the flying creature had better watch out. The wolf and cat can jump and attack at the same time too.

ur right, and to add to the argument of realism, how does a rifle not kill a player with a head shot. how about knocking them out or something if they stack hp. why not make things more interesting instead of inflating stats like a brainless monkey. breed breed breed, i've seen the end game pvp and it isn't pretty. you waste so much time breeding which in and of itself mechanically speaking is a brain dead task that should be left to clicking a button on my phone that people can't even take into consideration any level of dino skill cap since it hardly even exists to begin with as all you do is click. but wait, you have 500 beds and an army of dinos you cannot control because without even logically hitting you, damage just hits like a house being dropped on a player rather then something mediocre like mario where things have collision and not bad breath mechanics that look at you to death.

let's be honest here, people play the game and like the big numbers which compels them to sit and breed for ages just to get that sense of power. having power isn't being a gamer. although anyone, even a 6 year old with the IQ of 40 could click towards someone and get some sense of impending power trip by watching them die instantly. 

here is a thought, instead of this 'faster faster', 'bigger bigger', and 'stronger stronger' mindset. why don't you think about what happens when you dilute a game with stats to the point where all you do is walk up and spam click. might as well go play clicker heros. at least that game doesn't require your to wake up every 4 hours to breed, group 50 people who plot to take your things, and give you PTSD about logging out to do important real world things.

Seriously ? This topic, AGAIN ?

I have started playing 3 months ago, with my wife and we played on our own dedicated server, which i had setup 1:1 with official servers ( rates, rules everything, just the two of us, since we have no time to deal with bob's ). After 3 months, we figured, we want to put some mods, and we did...around 10 of them. We did try the "Classic Flyers" and we were absolutely disgusted by the speed that argies have. We use argies for traveling around the map and we found that they're perfectly fine the way they are. "Un-nerfing" them, made the game "easy" and "dull". We usually do the following : 5k hp, 3k stam, 1.5kk/1.8k weight. That makes for a decent argy, it can fly HALF the map without landing for stamina and it can kill anything up to a lvl 50 alpha rex. And yes, the Q's are slow, but nothing else offers you to carry 5k weight across the map, without being attacked by a SINGLE creature.

I don't know why are people complaining about the flyers. Using the "Classic" flyers gave me a headache and i can't even land properly my argy, cuz it's way too damn fast, so i miss the little rocks >.>

1 hour ago, CloudVapins said:

why don't you think about what happens when you dilute a game with stats to the point where all you do is walk up and spam click. might as well go play clicker heros

and for PVE after the nerf playing on flyer is not much different from what it was before. just hit and hold W key all the time. main difference is what now you have to do it for much longer time.

1 hour ago, shiny said:

Seriously ? This topic, AGAIN ?

I have started playing 3 months ago, with my wife and we played on our own dedicated server, which i had setup 1:1 with official servers ( rates, rules everything, just the two of us, since we have no time to deal with bob's ). After 3 months, we figured, we want to put some mods, and we did...around 10 of them. We did try the "Classic Flyers" and we were absolutely disgusted by the speed that argies have. We use argies for traveling around the map and we found that they're perfectly fine the way they are. "Un-nerfing" them, made the game "easy" and "dull". We usually do the following : 5k hp, 3k stam, 1.5kk/1.8k weight. That makes for a decent argy, it can fly HALF the map without landing for stamina and it can kill anything up to a lvl 50 alpha rex. And yes, the Q's are slow, but nothing else offers you to carry 5k weight across the map, without being attacked by a SINGLE creature.

I don't know why are people complaining about the flyers. Using the "Classic" flyers gave me a headache and i can't even land properly my argy, cuz it's way too damn fast, so i miss the little rocks >.>

Their fine the way they are for you. For me they are inferior to what they used to be and WC trying to tell me a singleplayer how to 'properly' play this game I wasn't gifted for free has not improved the game in any way. All it did was kill my desire to play and make me not want to support their clearly poorly thought out decisions anymore. This game was better at the beginning of the year in too many ways IMO.

1 hour ago, shiny said:

And yes, the Q's are slow, but nothing else offers you to carry 5k weight across the map, without being attacked by a SINGLE creature.

I still cant look at a quetz without bursting in to tears xD What that nerf did to them was unspeakable hahaha

Honestly though. I think most people would agree that a nerf of somesort was needed, but not nerfing the flyers into the ground. I would like to see buffs to certain flyers (or the addition of the dive mechanic to most of them) but not to the previous incarnation of pre nerf, aswell as buffs to certain land dinos. 

Now you made me think. Please fix the flyer landing AI, wyvern keeps trying to land in thin air or off cliffs rather than that collum I was aiming for !

as far as flyers are concerned, there needs to be some calculation as to how fast everything should be able to move. simply saying okay no more speed isn't a good creative answer and as everyone can easily see with the feed back on forums was clearly overboard. i'm sure people wouldn't be opposed to some method of obtaining temporary speed increases or bonuses that take a little time to prepare. 

moving across the map back and forth is a big part of the game. i still don't agree with the leveling system and without flyer speeds this becomes increasingly hard on the lower end of the spectrum where as the end game is better and better. balance is always the key to a good game in the sense that clicking doesn't win the game.

Archived