The Future of Flyers

RadicalFriday67

After the nerf that took away the ability to upgrade movement speed on flyers, people shortly just stopped using them. The only decently fast flyer was the Pteranodon, but its weight was too low to be used for transport. The Queztal became the worst flyer in the game, the Argy became the only flyer people somewhat used, Wyverns were still bugged to hell and had horrible stamina, the Lymantria... well no one uses that thing, but still, the flyers are suck. Now I don't know if this is true, but apparently Studio Wildcard is adding a feature that you will be able to add movement speed to flyers again! How wonderful does that sound?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, RadicalFriday67 said:

After the nerf that took away the ability to upgrade movement speed on flyers, people shortly just stopped using them. The only decently fast flyer was the Pteranodon, but its weight was too low to be used for transport. The Queztal became the worst flyer in the game, the Argy became the only flyer people somewhat used, Wyverns were still bugged to hell and had horrible stamina, the Lymantria... well no one uses that thing, but still, the flyers are suck. Now I don't know if this is true, but apparently Studio Wildcard is adding a feature that you will be able to add movement speed to flyers again! How wonderful does that sound?

I play official pvp and flyers are still much alive.. plus the unofficials were gonna get the option to reverse the flyer nerf anyways..

I sort of felt that they did things backward with the speed lock. What I would have rather seen them do is lock stamina at a reasonable level and allow speed to be leveled to about where their current sprinting speed is. Then, in addition, have stamina drain be based on how much speed and damage is leveled. The net result being that flyers that have been heavily leveled in these areas would be able to sustain those activities for a shorter amount of time. For example, a Ptera that has been leveled heavily in speed can cruise to their destination fairly quickly but would have a very short sprint duration. A similar Ptera with those points put into damage output would be able to do high damage but be very limited in how many attacks they can attempt before needing rest. Thus players would still have had options but there would have been tradeoffs to trying to hyper level stats like damage and speed.

As it sits to travel quickly from place to place one needs to level stamina heavily and have their pinky get tired holding shift when traveling long distances, thus using sprinting in the place of regular flight. In truth sprinting should be something used very sparingly with very limited stamina, and regular flight being fast enough to be acceptable as a flyers main movement mode. Likewise, the method used to limit high damage flyers seems to be to make them so slow that they are easy to kill rather than allow them to do high burst damage over very limited attacks.

1 hour ago, CaptainRaa said:

Flyers are still the most used dinosaur for sure. The quetz was destroyed for sure tho. I now use 3 2k weight argys instead of a 6k weight quetz. Wyvern are fast enough and if raised and leveled right they are still the best flyer even with the bugs. Pteras could do with some tweaks

True, but quetz-anky farming is still alive and well, which gives the quetz a major use.

@RadicalFriday67 Really, who are these people? I have never seen a server, official or unofficial (aside from no-flier servers) where fliers aren't still the main mode of transit.

Absolutely agree that there are improvements to be made, but think it's more lumped in with an overall dino TLC pass. There are many land dinos that need the help more than most fliers though.

3 hours ago, RadicalFriday67 said:

Sounds terrible, and an insult really.

They forced this trite on us, swore to us that it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and wanted by the larger majority of the player base.
So, if that's the truth of it, then WHY are they planning to bring it back now? After having wasted no doubt thousands of player hours
worth of breeding and grinding, and then having the nerve to tell us that it was for the best. That its what everyone one wanted, it's
how -they-- intended it, it's how -they- wanted us to play. 

The Griffin was enough salt in the wound already, this would just be re-opening it. They'd better leave it alone.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, RadicalFriday67 said:

Now I don't know if this is true, but apparently Studio Wildcard is adding a feature that you will be able to add movement speed to flyers again!

Unless you see an official Announcement, or you see it listed in the Patch Notes, these are rumors. ;)

Is this thread meant to be some kind of undetected sarcasm or is it actually a legit opinion? To say that no one is riding flyers is incredibly inaccurate.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen players using a land dino to get from A to B over the last month. Quetzals are still by far the best farming support dino by miles. Anyone seen someone taking a Bronto up to mine with an Anklo in the last year and a half? I haven't.

Flyers are in my opinion still to good at doing too many things. I would love to see players having to use supply train of pack dinos to mine metal instead of the boring and easy Anklo and Quetzal combo but alas the usual crowd would complain "that's too hard!". 9_9

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I would love to see players having to use supply train of pack dinos to mine metal instead of the boring and easy Anklo and Quetzal combo but alas the usual crowd would complain "that's too hard!". 9_9

Feel free to do that any time you want. I’m not sure why you need to see somebody else doing it. 

I' m actually surprised to see so many people hating on flyers and in favour of the flyer nerf and people even happy how the flyers are , not wanting speed and Stam back and even some people wanting more nerfs. 

It' like do you guys even play this game ? You definitely don' play official PvP do you. The flyer nerf was the stupidest thing that ever happened to this game. If you haven't noticed 3 out of 4 maps are designed for flyers , you need to fly to access most of the map . This means people have to use flyers. So nerfing their speed into oblivion and taking all their Stam didn't change anything. As said above most players still ride flyers and still raid with them , just now it's not as much fun. What wild card did was nerf the fun of the game.

In no way was it beneficial to game play for a player to need 15 minutes to travel from the underworld to the redwoods and need to stop 6 times on the way. It was just frustrating. 

In no way was every flyer needing to pump only Stam beneficial to the game it just killed build variety . 

In no way was nerfing the good flyers special attacks helpfull to the game. I got a dragon that can't breath fire because it will have to land. And a ptera can only barrel roll once urgh why ? That was the worst change of it all.

People used to love quetz and take pride in breeding them . Then they killed it's health Stam and speed all in one go making it only good for carrying an anky. I was always on a quetz and now I can't even ride one because it makes me want to quit the game.

Getting dragon milk is now tedious. It used to be fun to transfer a Ptera to scorched and get some eggs and some drops  , do a quick milk run to transfer back to your island map . Now it is just a headache . You know someone messed up when the only thing that is good for getting milk is a dragon but you need the milk to get the dragon. ( Griffin wasn't out yet so not included).

So if wild card have admitted their mistake and are trying to fix it that is a good thing. The game was way more fun back then. It is not helpfull for trolls to post negative opinions and backwards ideas , it just confuses the issue. Flyer nerf BAD. Flyer speed and Stam GOOD. 

Fix barrel rolling. Some of us actually like riding dinos and don't want to be riding around on made up creatures  Also fix pteras fitting through doors again. That was another stupid unnecessary change.

To be fair if wc just reverted the game to what ever version it was when therizino was released they would fix the game so much.

26 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Flyer nerf BAD. Flyer speed and Stam GOOD. 

Legacy should have been created when the flyer nerf landed. 

I feel like the speed was bad for combat when there is so much lag, but it' needed for farming and utility. I miss speed quetzal for taming and faster argies. Somethings wrong with that nerf because I'm still using flyers to do everything, just slower. Griffins help though.

They moved quetz platform saddle to level 97(?), that' a good move. I like that. Just eliminate box quetzals and make all flyers melt on turrets.

Weight of land creatures never got buffed remotely close to where it needs to be. Seriously it needs like 4x or more. 

The ptera was the problem child. The griffin replaces it but is more balanced because it' relatively harder to tame and no breeding. It' hp is questionable though.

From a pve player point of view, I still use my bird's as if nothing ever happened. Only things I still haven't really adapted to is how slow the quetz is.. I still use it.. but I find myself holding the joy stick forward and playing on my phone in between flights. It's boring to say the least.. are we there yet?

46 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

From a pve player point of view, I still use my bird's as if nothing ever happened. Only things I still haven't really adapted to is how slow the quetz is.. I still use it.. but I find myself holding the joy stick forward and playing on my phone in between flights. It's boring to say the least.. are we there yet?

Im in the exact same boat, the nerf didnt bother me, made the maps feel bigger but flying a quetz across a map to pick up a dino you tamed or traded for is too slow lol

I agree that the nerf hurt a good bit in the overpowering madness that was being able to fly in from out of view and drop someone to their death before they could even think about it. But as I played PVP and PVE, the flyers are still the most useful tames. I don't want to walk an ankylo from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Instead I can use a quetzal. The quetzal may be slow, but it beats a melee leveled ankylo mushing up the side of a mountain. It can hold at least 1-2 ankylos that can collect as much reduced weight metal as the quetzal can hold, which is much higher than the ankylo. The wyverns are still very good, as they can be leveled for weight, melee, stam, whatever you want, and they can pick up most tames, including ankylos for those distant metal runs.

I just don't see too much of a problem with the way the flyers are set up now. They even accommodated this issue by giving flyers no wasted points. So when you tame wild flyers and breed them, they can get much better than their land counterparts.

I play on unofficial, with Wildcard`s balancing of the flyers (we decided it was for the best). Flyers are still in use daily, but land animals have seen a rise in use since, which is a nice thing. I am still using my quetzal and pteros daily, Argie only when I want to hunt/tame something specific it can lift. I keep their stamina at 1500+, its pretty good.

Quetzals do look somewhat stupid flying at that speed, I doubt it could maintain itself afloat at that velocity, maybe if it had a gliding animation on ocasion it would "feel better". But as a trade off we do get an easier tame, it used to fly very fast to the other side of the map, making a headache to chase around. 

Cheers

I think that if the flyer nerf was to be reverted, it would be during the dino TLC pass. with that being a thing (hopefully) most all land dinos should have some use, meaning that they won't need a buff from fliers getting nerfed.

Because let's be frank, Fliers NEEDED a nerf. they where the most well rounded mounts in the game, they were fast, didn't have to worry about obstacles, be it terrain, enemy bases, or strong dinos. they where good in combat, they could carry other players and dinos, there was no reason NOT to use them 99% of the time,  this allowed land dinos to be much ore viable pre-TLC pass. Therefore, if we get the TLC pass and make a lot of dinos much better, then the need for fliers would go down, meaning that removing the speed lock, maybe with some other small nerf, should be doable.

23 hours ago, RadicalFriday67 said:

Cool! I think tapejaras might be the fastest thing now, but argies are good for carrying stuff (and putting pegos in a thatch pen to tame)

54 minutes ago, Stephania said:

I personally support the flyer nerf.
Flyer almost bypass all environmental dangers and obstacles. In other words when you ride a flyer the game became less survival and more flight simulator.

Flyer still being overused after nerf however a little nerf is better than a no nerf.

Flyers make the game too easy and one dimensional. As I said in my post earlier if players had to use proper baggage trains to farm metal and the like this would create opportunities for other players to hijack their goods and rob them. As it stands currently there is no risk for the Quetzal and Anklo combo. It just flies off the moment it sees danger.

Sadly it seems gamers today want everything handed to them with little effort. Just look how easy video games in general have become, even shooters. You play the single player campaigns and it tells you walk here 20m push button, then walk this way 50m and crouch...

6 hours ago, Stephania said:

I personally support the flyer nerf.
Flyer almost bypass all environmental dangers and obstacles. In other words when you ride a flyer the game became less survival and more flight simulator.

Flyer still being overused after nerf however a little nerf is better than a no nerf.

That's the worst argument for the flyer nerf there is 

"Flyers take the survival out of the game " 

Once you build a wood hut and put up a spike wall the survival part of the game is over anyway. This is not a hardcore survival game . After that point what keeps people playing is base building , dino hording, server politics  and PvP.  Non of these things are benefited by having slow flyers that have to land all the time.  It doesn't even make the game harder as you just stop on a rock or tall pillar anyway and even if you didn't they added the attack on the ground anyway so your flyer can just facetank and peck what ever attacks it to death. It just makes it take longer. 

Archived