Alternate Base Defense Lists

KILLOTRONJEDI

In light of The Great Turret Nerf I thought I’d compose a list of other things that can be used to defend a base offline in addition to turrets. If you think of anything else please comment.

-Anthroplera/Dilo can be set on top of walls and to ‘turret mode’ and don’t count against the turret count

-lots and lots of spikes

-plant species y (especially when in the spikes and/or turret range

-EXTRA THICC walls-in all seriousness, building the outside walls on foundations and putting pillars/ceilings/spikes and extra layers in them does help

-doubling gates- You can have a gate right right behind the first gate (or more if you really wanted to)

-Purlovia

-Bees can be annoying

-cramming in base defense dinos (dimorphs, microraptors, etc.)

-IEDs

-Narcotic Traps

-Bear Traps

-Not chopping down all the trees in your base (obviously you have to cut down some trees to build, but if you leave a bunch of them around in the base, you much less likely to be noticed in the first place from the air, not for all tribe sizes)

-sea mines (ocean only)

-building actual walls- if you build with the actual wall structures (as opposed to gates) the intruder has to get through each of the walls to make a big enough gap, as opposed to just two dino gates or a behemoth gate)

-lips on walls to stop thylos

-caging in wild dinos in spots near walls (things you can’t/ don’t want to tame)

Some corrections:

• IEDS - useless
  • Narcotic Traps - useless
  • Bear Traps - can be easily spotted
  • Sea Mines - easy to avoid
  • Caging in wild dinos - they despawn after a while. Even if they don't they won't make any difference to a decent tamed dino unless its a wild giga you have "caged"
  • Plant species Y - needs to be constantly maintained or it dies
  • Arthroplera - rate of fire is extremely slow, projectiles have low velocity. Doesn't do much damage to dinos
  • Chopping down trees - a player on a bird with certain GFX settings will still be able to spot your base even if its in the middle of the jungle surrounded by trees. 

A lot of what you mention doesn't work all that well, but who knows as people have to get more creative than putting up 1000 turrets.

Some additional suggestions - more approach than specific tools.

Especially with the turret limit people will need to get more creative with the terrain. It's a PIA but having base wedged in between indestructible terrain is a big advantage. Instead of needing to spread defense around 4 sides, you cut that down to 1 or 2. Added benefit of being much less visible from the air - graphic settings can render anything destructible worthless (though trees are better than nothing) and the errant bronto can stumble through all of your camouflage.

While they'll probably fix this at some point, there are all sorts of instructional videos on 3 and 4+ layering foundations and walls. It's grindy as all heck, but can really up the cost of breaking into a base when done in metal. Some one correct me if this has changed, haven't done it in a while, but as I can still lower foundations I'm assuming this works.

Only build what you absolutely need and can defend, no bigger. Let go of the need for an orderly base with room to comfortably move around. Anything that reduces the functional footprint of your base gives you better coverage for turrets and/or more room for layering walls and other defense.

5 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:
32 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:
Rock golems covered by turrets 

As he said, golems can hurl a rock pretty far, few on top of a base on highest range outta keep people annoyed enough. Also chalocatheriums? Beer drinkers. Vultures would be nice inside a base on aggressive. Bats, same thing.

I think the trouble with calico and other things on turret mode is that they can easily be sniped from out of range so an organised raider will overcome them pretty easy 

1 minute ago, SmokeyB said:

I think the trouble with calico and other things on turret mode is that they can easily be sniped from out of range so an organised raider will overcome them pretty easy 

That depends on placement, though, doesn't it? A smart player can erect barriers that keep the animal safe, while still allowing it to do it's thing, albeit in a limited directed. Blind corners, terrain features, structures, there are plenty of ways to protect your defenses from sniping.

Archived