did crossark ruined ark for you as it did for solo players and small tribes

OttoGrunf

all of you would agree that majority of people playing ark are in small tribes. less than 10 people. casual players with real life obligations that limit time they can spend gaming, and we all know ark is super time demanding to the point that it becomes chore.

before crossark is introduced, you could move your character, find a nice community of people, and play. somebody was searching for friendly alpha tribe, others where looking to join server and overthrown alpha tribe, but people with bad intentions had to invest time to wreck havoc or destroy other bases and animals, not just to create spare character, put all points to speed, equip it with high quality armor and lot of c4 and wipe weeks of work in 5 mins while people is offline. add to that those kinds of visit every night and instead of good gaming quality you get virtual harassment and bad player experience as time to achieve and grind something vs how much time you need to lose is is not balanced. before crossark transfers, i witnessed tribe of 5 people, grinded for 15h every day for 10 days and in one night wiped one alpha and 4 beta tribes. those where times when attackers had to invest good amount of time to prepare for attack and game was far more balanced than now.

somebody would say, play on pve. well pve servers are boring as experienced player gets to upper mid character level in 1 day. and achieve more or less everything that pve content have to offer in less than 3 months playing in active small tribe.

somebody would say, play on unofficial servers. well, those servers dont have proper filters to filter them on rates, plugins, etc. most of those servers come and go, you invest time on some, and they get deleted because owners get bored. admins abuse powers. influx of new people is super small because of all those things i just mentioned.

somebody would say join large tribe. well i play ark becouse of people. i like to meet new people. play with them, etc. you cant do much bonding in large tribe and tribe chat is clogged too. smaller tribes are just more enjoying to play and that will just not change.

so what is solution? i wish two things. that wildcard limit person per one character per cluster. it was fine to have more than one character before crossark or even before you could transfer character from server to server, now its prone to abuse. introducing small tribes cluster of servers. not just 3-4 maps but large cluster of dozens of servers with limit of 20 person per tribe and 1-2 tribes in alliance or no alliances at all. i bet they would be full.

and yes, i know its over year of ark having crossark transfer, but i just dont like ark same way i liked and enjoy it before crossark and most people i communicate in ark feels the same, regardless of their tribe size.

so, what do you think about crossark and proposed ideas?

58 minutes ago, OttoGrunf said:

all of you would agree that majority of people playing ark are in small tribes. less than 10 people. casual players with real life obligations that limit time they can spend gaming, and we all know ark is super time demanding to the point that it becomes chore.

The majority of players of ark would not fit into this assessment.  Perhaps you mean this in the context of pvp official servers? Its certainly not representative of the majority of players of ark.

Also your assessments for pve related points I would argue is also only framed perhaps from a limited view point.  Given that there are just as many pve folks with thousands of hours(yes official server wise) and then a of course the bread and butter of ark: unofficial servers and the wide and robust amount of modded content(which wildcard encourages and supports play there of).

Further, the majority of people, especially on pc/steam, play ark via unofficial servers. Your view of the conditions there of isn't very accurate as there are plenty that have been around even longer than some of the official servers that were purged on 8/29. There are over 25 times the number of unofficial servers to that of the less than 700 official ones in this context.

With that said, you're viewing what you perceive as an issue(whilst many consider it a non issue) is only from a very narrow view point. Primarily what is being stated by you reflects a disparity between the role and intent of the official servers not matching you, unofficials actually matching you more closely, but your having difficulty reconciling said disparity and wanting official servers to change to suit your needs otherwise; even if doing so means to render rather moot the intent of the features or intended limitations of those features of those servers.  In some ways, this is a sunk cost fallacy. 

3 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

The point is if you have limited time to play and not want be in a big tribe just not join PvP server.
Wc concept (Chinese concept) of PvP are based in big tribes. PvP unbalance is problem since EA and Wc not care about it.

30 minutes ago, Stephania said:

The point is if you have limited time to play and not want be in a big tribe just not join PvP server.
Wc concept (Chinese concept) of PvP are based in big tribes. PvP unbalance is problem since EA and Wc not care about it.

have you seen this part of my post: somebody would say, play on pve. well pve servers are boring as experienced player gets to upper mid character level in 1 day. and achieve more or less everything that pve content have to offer in less than 3 months playing in active small tribe.

2 hours ago, Novarae said:

The majority of players of ark would not fit into this assessment.  Perhaps you mean this in the context of pvp official servers? Its certainly not representative of the majority of players of ark.

Also your assessments for pve related points I would argue is also only framed perhaps from a limited view point.  Given that there are just as many pve folks with thousands of hours(yes official server wise) and then a of course the bread and butter of ark: unofficial servers and the wide and robust amount of modded content(which wildcard encourages and supports play there of).

Further, the majority of people, especially on pc/steam, play ark via unofficial servers. Your view of the conditions there of isn't very accurate as there are plenty that have been around even longer than some of the official servers that were purged on 8/29. There are over 25 times the number of unofficial servers to that of the less than 700 official ones in this context.

With that said, you're viewing what you perceive as an issue(whilst many consider it a non issue) is only from a very narrow view point. Primarily what is being stated by you reflects a disparity between the role and intent of the official servers not matching you, unofficials actually matching you more closely, but your having difficulty reconciling said disparity and wanting official servers to change to suit your needs otherwise; even if doing so means to render rather moot the intent of the features or intended limitations of those features of those servers.  In some ways, this is a sunk cost fallacy. 

ask people and you will see that most of people are forced to play in big tribes. regarding people wanting to do every mutation on pve, well for me and a lot of other people its boring. people mostly play on unofficials becouse of lag. and regarding unofficials you havent read this: somebody would say, play on unofficial servers. well, those servers dont have proper filters to filter them on rates, plugins, etc. most of those servers come and go, you invest time on some, and they get deleted because owners get bored. admins abuse powers. influx of new people is super small because of all those things i just mentioned.

7 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

before crossark is introduced, you could move your character, find a nice community of people, and play. somebody was searching for friendly alpha tribe, others where looking to join server and overthrown alpha tribe, but people with bad intentions had to invest time to wreck havoc or destroy other bases and animals, not just to create spare character, put all points to speed, equip it with high quality armor and lot of c4 and wipe weeks of work in 5 mins while people is offline. add to that those kinds of visit every night and instead of good gaming quality you get virtual harassment and bad player experience as time to achieve and grind something vs how much time you need to lose is is not balanced. before crossark transfers, i witnessed tribe of 5 people, grinded for 15h every day for 10 days and in one night wiped one alpha and 4 beta tribes. those where times when attackers had to invest good amount of time to prepare for attack and game was far more balanced than now.

somebody would say, play on pve. well pve servers are boring as experienced player gets to upper mid character level in 1 day. and achieve more or less everything that pve content have to offer in less than 3 months playing in active small tribe.

somebody would say, play on unofficial servers. well, those servers dont have proper filters to filter them on rates, plugins, etc. most of those servers come and go, you invest time on some, and they get deleted because owners get bored. admins abuse powers. influx of new people is super small because of all those things i just mentioned.

somebody would say join large tribe. well i play ark becouse of people. i like to meet new people. play with them, etc. you cant do much bonding in large tribe and tribe chat is clogged too. smaller tribes are just more enjoying to play and that will just not change.

so what is solution? i wish two things. that wildcard limit person per one character per cluster. it was fine to have more than one character before crossark or even before you could transfer character from server to server, now its prone to abuse. introducing small tribes cluster of servers. not just 3-4 maps but large cluster of dozens of servers with limit of 20 person per tribe and 1-2 tribes in alliance or no alliances at all. i bet they would be full.

and yes, i know its over year of ark having crossark transfer, but i just dont like ark same way i liked and enjoy it before crossark and most people i communicate in ark feels the same, regardless of their tribe size.

I see all your posts are about being wiped and hating PvP in this game ? 

Might be time to try a different game .

8 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

The average ark player is a hardcore 16 year old amped up on mountain dew, with roughly 12 hours a day to dedicate to the game. (This is largely a joke if if not clear).

The game was maybe more balanced from your perspective, but without server transfers, alphas get to a point where the only way they fall down is if their members get bored and  leave. That's not especially interesting. I'm a (mostly) solo official PvPer, I LOVE the transfer system. I step on Alpha's toes, I transfer. I rarely get fully wiped because I'm spread out across several servers (good luck finding me everywhere).

This is how I feel about it too, but to each their own.

Find the right server and this is not true, however it's difficult. I spent 2 hours last night internet searching for somewhere new to try and came up with nothing (I have exceptionally high standards though, if I'm going unofficial).

What? Large tribes are great way to meet new people, and maybe even make some real life friends. It's called Discord ;)

WC should not even remotely consider 1 character per cluster unless they completely fix the transfer bug... 100%, not even 99.9% is good enough on this unless they are fully replacing character is a couple days (not weeks or months). Also, should probably allow unlimited mindwipes again if they're going to do this.

Idea 2 is pretty cool, but more division of player base probably isn't what WC is going for. I would get behind this one though and probably give it a try.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you playing on one of the isolated clusters, the ones where these one of each map but otherwise no transferring from the "general" cluster? That's pretty close in setup to how it was before open transferring.

No cross ARK revitalized the game for me. When it was disabled every single sever was dominated by a large alpha tribe that had 50% or more of the total players in it. As a small tribe you were pretty helpless to fight that, you couldn't even hide a base anywhere because of the map size and how the GFX work. Now today things are a bit different. It is true that servers are still dominated by an alpha tribe but because you can transfer as a small tribe you can hide your base on some distant remote server, build up then transfer in to have a crack at them.

• 3 months later...

before crossark transfers, when you where allowed to move only character, game was much slower, you had to build up and fight for alpha if you wanted to do it and it wasnt problem to find a nice server. after crossark is introduces, 99% of people turned hostile to other and new players have no chance. is that climate that wildcard wanted for official servers? are they doing anything to solve this problem? and no, unofcials arent solution. i payed money for game, i dont want to pay for server each month

Nah mate, when it was just your server, alphas still dominated it. You had a bad alpha or good alpha, but you were still at mercy to griefers and.getting wiped.

Cross ark didnt change it. It made alphas bigger but alphas now have other enemies the same power. Smaller tribes are left alone by the alphas.

Youre also exposed to being able to go to multiple servers. You can gather resources on other maps that are easier to find than on yours. Different tames too.

Tbh, i feel that people who complain about cross ark are falling into the trap of feeling the grass is greenier on the other side.

27 minutes ago, Olivar said:

That hostility would come regardless, just at a slower pace, but it would come nonetheless.
That's simply the nature of the beast when it comes to online games and having control over things.

So no, they did not make an error.
If anything that gave people more ways out, or means to counter/deal with said hostility.

24 minutes ago, H3dgie said:

Nah mate, when it was just your server, alphas still dominated it. You had a bad alpha or good alpha, but you were still at mercy to griefers and.getting wiped.

Cross ark didnt change it. It made alphas bigger but alphas now have other enemies the same power. Smaller tribes are left alone by the alphas.

Youre also exposed to being able to go to multiple servers. You can gather resources on other maps that are easier to find than on yours. Different tames too.

Tbh, i feel that people who complain about cross ark are falling into the trap of feeling the grass is greenier on the other side.

You both play official pvp server, right? it was easy to find nice alpha tribe back than and now 90% of players get griefed daily. alpha or mega tribes dont fight among them they grief rest of people

43 minutes ago, OttoGrunf said:

You both play official pvp server, right? it was easy to find nice alpha tribe back than and now 90% of players get griefed daily. alpha or mega tribes dont fight among them they grief rest of people

I used to, but swapped to my own server because I simply don't want to deal with the behavior you have described.
And I can share your sentiment, as the community did change over the time from early access to actual release.
But the griefing did exist back then as well. It was just not as rampant because not all servers were connected.

50 minutes ago, OttoGrunf said:

Disagree completely sir. Megatribes dont waste their time on lesser tribes. Only time a megatribe will go after a single.server alpha is if the alpha has wronged the megatribe in someway.

Smaller tribes will get griefed, but that has always happened. Some griefers will just break in, others.will wipe for the sake of it. Again, that always happened. If youre in a small tribe and are building in metal, its an eye opener to improve.your defences. 

15 minutes ago, H3dgie said:

Disagree completely sir. Megatribes dont waste their time on lesser tribes. Only time a megatribe will go after a single.server alpha is if the alpha has wronged the megatribe in someway.

Smaller tribes will get griefed, but that has always happened. Some griefers will just break in, others.will wipe for the sake of it. Again, that always happened. If youre in a small tribe and are building in metal, its an eye opener to improve.your defences. 

you can disagree but i am right :) do you think megatribes go to war with other megatribes every night? or they spend nights griefing other servers and small people on other servers every night. trust me, later is what most of pvp oriented megatribe players do non stop

7 minutes ago, OttoGrunf said:

you can disagree but i am right :) do you think megatribes go to war with other megatribes every night? or they spend nights griefing other servers and small people on other servers every night. trust me, later is what most of pvp oriented megatribe players do non stop

Actually I agree with Otto here. Many times have I either rebuilt as solo or with another person, and I’ve come back to a smoldering home where my base previously was, done by the hands of either the alpha or the hand of the alpha. Mega tribes don’t care who you are or how big; if you’re a target—preferably easy—they’ll mess your day up.

Ive even had the alpha of a server give me things, and not even an hour later, they wiped me. ?

2 minutes ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

Actually I agree with Otto here. Many times have I either rebuilt as solo or with another person, and I’ve come back to a smoldering home where my base previously was, done by the hands of either the alpha or the hand of the alpha. Mega tribes don’t care who you are or how big; if you’re a target—preferably easy—they’ll mess your day up

A server alpha is different to  megatribe. Servers always had an alpha so cross ark didnt change that. Also, if your on a megatribes home server, then yeah, they might wipe ya. Not all do. Speaking in global intelligently (no spamming childish crap) well help keep ya place in one piece. 

Many will even help if they see potential. Its cross ark, if youre on a bad server, just move

1 minute ago, H3dgie said:

They grief BIG tribes to score loot and weaken their enemy. Trust me, Im in a megatribe, and was in legacy too. We dont waste our time with bobs

If that were the case, then I wouldn’t have to ask permission to build on a server where a mega alpha resides, lest we face repercussions. Permission to build on a server? Is this game a kindergarten? ?

1 minute ago, H3dgie said:

A server alpha is different to  megatribe. Servers always had an alpha so cross ark didnt change that. Also, if your on a megatribes home server, then yeah, they might wipe ya. Not all do. Speaking in global intelligently (no spamming childish crap) well help keep ya place in one piece. 

Many will even help if they see potential. Its cross ark, if youre on a bad server, just move

I’ve done that before. Never saved my bum from total annihilation 

1 minute ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

If that were the case, then I wouldn’t have to ask permission to build on a server where a mega alpha resides, lest we face repercussions. Permission to build on a server? Is this game a kindergarten? ?

Nah, but we are playing a game.involving humans, and we are a naturally pathetic species. Its why we are extinct :)

The reason some.megas cleanse their.servers is to.keep other megas from establishing a base under the.guise of being noobs. Pushing a fob is hard enough, let alone a base. 

Dont get me wrong, i understand what youre saying, but i cant really relate. I built up on a server and was asked to join the alpha. I fell out with them so we wiped them. They enlisted a megatribe to wipe us, and we were saved by another mega tribe, which we were asked to join after the fight. I actually rarely PVP unless its server defence, and i never grief. Most people out of the 2 megatribes ive been in are the same. 

17 minutes ago, H3dgie said:

Nah, but we are playing a game.involving humans, and we are a naturally pathetic species. Its why we are extinct :)

The reason some.megas cleanse their.servers is to.keep other megas from establishing a base under the.guise of being noobs. Pushing a fob is hard enough, let alone a base. 

Dont get me wrong, i understand what youre saying, but i cant really relate. I built up on a server and was asked to join the alpha. I fell out with them so we wiped them. They enlisted a megatribe to wipe us, and we were saved by another mega tribe, which we were asked to join after the fight. I actually rarely PVP unless its server defence, and i never grief. Most people out of the 2 megatribes ive been in are the same. 

I get that server cleansing is beneficial to an alphas survival—whether mega or not—but this also causes a massive rift on the server. For one, demolishing a developing tribe whose nothing more than a wooden shack with a few kibble Dino’s is hardly effective. If an alpha was really that concerned about an enemy spying on the server under the guise of a noob tribe, they’d have to look out for something more formidable than a wooden, or god forbid, a stone shack with no defenses up. And quite often do I see tribe members investigating a persons gamertag if they’re suspicious of someone, or contact an ally to see if they know something about X person.

And when it comes to server defense, it really pays to have allies. If you’re an alpha that consistently wipes their server, you’re only gonna have you, yourself, and you to depend on when a bigger, much meaner tribe comes knocking at your door. A server needs not only a set of eyes and ears to look out for each other, but a community of tribes, a ‘band of brothers’ to help ward off any intruders. Wiping tribes in development hardly helps in that effort.

Apologies for going a bit off topic though. For my input? CrossARK has made the game far more dangerous. It was before, but now with the implementation of not only dragging your best Dino’s to another server, but also the capability of transferring a full metal/TEK base, it has hastened the devastation a server can face. Do I think it is an error that WC has made?...On the contrary, no. Not only can it be hazardous, it can be beneficial to tribes seeking refuge away from a hostile server, as well as open new experiences to players that don’t want to be stuck on a single server

11 minutes ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

I get that server cleansing is beneficial to an alphas survival—whether mega or not—but this also causes a massive rift on the server. For one, demolishing a developing tribe whose nothing more than a wooden shack with a few kibble Dino’s is hardly effective. If an alpha was really that concerned about an enemy spying on the server under the guise of a noob tribe, they’d have to look out for something more formidable than a wooden, or god forbid, a stone shack with no defenses up. And quite often do I see tribe members investigating a persons gamertag if they’re suspicious of someone, or contact an ally to see if they know something about X person.

And when it comes to server defense, it really pays to have allies. If you’re an alpha that consistently wipes their server, you’re only gonna have you, yourself, and you to depend on when a bigger, much meaner tribe comes knocking at your door. A server needs not only a set of eyes and ears to look out for each other, but a community of tribes, a ‘band of brothers’ to help ward off any intruders. Wiping tribes in development hardly helps in that effort.

Just going to comment finally on this.

We tried that on the server i was alpha on. We let tribes build up and we formed a nice community.

Problem was, one tribe was the old alphas masquerading as noobs, (fyi it was a metal base with a stone outside which suddenly got 100 turrets when the veil was up) and the second problem was, as the lesser tribes were getting wiped, theyd leave. They didnt come back and fight for another tribe, they just left.  

Cross ark is not the problem how many people you can have in a tribe is along with how many allies you can have. Having no tribe limit size is killing ark in my opinion.

I was in a mega tribe before and they wouldn't let anyone build on the server they occupied soon as they seen a new name log into the server straight away they was asked to leave or they would be hunted down.

I'm in the middle....

I think cross ark as it stands now is not that great... But I also think that single servers are not very good either for the greater community !

--- What I'd rather see is smaller cluster servers (one of each map linked together). Also reducing the numbers in a tribe and limiting the number of alliances would also greatly enhance the game in my opinion. 

I liked it better before crossark.  I see the benefits and am enjoying being able to hop between servers for tames and resources.  Full transfer is just toxic though.

Cluster all servers into clusters with 2 of each map.  Allow character only transfers out of the cluster once every 30 days.  As multiple clusters become ghost towns, open a new cluster and allow the ghost clusters to full transfer into the new cluster before repurposing the ghost clusters.

fixed.

Archived