Aberration Release, Turrets, PlayAnywhere, Holidays, and Black Friday!

Jen

On 25/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, Quetzal said:

It's licensing and security between the platforms. Microsoft is very protective (rightly so) of all the avenues into the Live system - just look at the hoops you have to go through to even rent a Nitrado server (app via the Windows Store etc). They're not just going to give you an entry point into their network. Steam is completely different, they're a PC-based system and it's in their interest to allow Windows/*nix users to interact - they don't have a console network they've spent 15+ years building up to protect.

As for the first point... yeah, it is the same (except you don't have to buy the second console). But a lot of people already have a server running 24/7 for other things, so it's no big deal to run a game on it.

What should they protect, those servers are not hosted on their network. So you're telling me that Nitrado is hosting on windows servers? Well, good luck with that.

Xbox Play Anywhere

In addition to the Aberration update, barring any cert issues, Xbox will receive the Play Anywhere update on December 12th. This update will allow crossplay between the Windows 10 version of ARK and the Xbox version. Survivors will be able to choose to allow crossplay on their unofficial servers or non-dedicated sessions with a simple checkbox on the host menu. 

hi, i have been searching for A LOT more info on this and no one seems to have any answers. i want to rent a server from nitrado with crossplay enabled for my xbox and pc friends to play together. i called nitrado, and they literally know nothing. they didn't even know this is apparently happening on the 12th (crossplay). how is that possible? how can nitrado not know ANYTHING about crossplay when it is set to release in 2 weeks? i spoke on the phone with customer service and literally got an "idk"... seems like there is pretty crappy communication going on between wildcard and nitrado. no one on the nitrado forums seems to know anything either. this is all such a clusterf*ck...

i don't want to get shut out by a lack of servers and i know pre-ordering is a thing, but i don't know whether or not i should buy a pc server or an xbox server for crossplay, what happens to the xbox players if i run mods on the crossplay server, when the windows 10 version will be available, if it is still free if you bought the xbox version, etc. there are so many questions and wildcard is being very shady about this. i have tweeted them several times over the past few days but they ignore me every time. i get that tweeting straight to the top probably is not efficient. i get that they are very busy. i just wish they would hire a dedicated customer service team so i could CALL someone and literally get the answers i am searching for. i have 10 friends who are kind of in the dark right now, asking me questions daily about this stuff for the server i told them i would host for all of us, and i look like an idiot cause i have no answers. a lot of these are friends who i used to play with on xbox but are done with the shadiness of wildcard. i just got a gaming pc and i told them we get a free windows 10 version since we bought ark on xbox and they are willing to try it out on this server, but then this happens and it reminds them why they quit... i am a dedicated customer who has bought this game twice (xbox and steam) as well as scorched earth twice, and i just feel like now that wildcard has my money, they are done giving a crap...

Edited by evd1202

• Volunteer Moderator
On 11/24/2017 at 9:05 AM, powerstuck said:

Windows 10 PC Crossplay (UWP) you can host your own server without

They are absolutely correct.

You. I am hosting

Your own. It is my server.

On Nitrado.

The sentence never said "YOU can host YOUR OWN server... on YOUR OWN PC".

On 30/11/2017 at 3:33 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

They are absolutely correct.

You. I am hosting

Your own. It is my server.

On Nitrado.

The sentence never said "YOU can host YOUR OWN server... on YOUR OWN PC".

Sorry man, but ON NITRADO is not yours nor mine, it's a server owned by Nitrado and they can put an end to my hosting agreement when ever they wish. 

Hosting it on my own server in my own bedroom is the proper term for hosting it on MY OWN SERVER. 

• Thanks 1

HI I have three non-beeish untrolly questions.

1.  Is the turret limit server specific or tribe specific.  I couldn't see the answer on this thread.  People are saying an enemy platform could disable some or all of your turrets by moving into the proximity of your base.

2.  What is the command to disable the restriction on non-official servers.  I assume there is one.

3.  Are S+ Turrets affected by the limit (they currently don't display the limit message on unofficial).

Edited by Blobert

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, Blobert said:

1.  Is the turret limit server specific or tribe specific.  I couldn't see the answer on this thread.  People are saying an enemy platform could disable some or all of your turrets by moving into the proximity of your base.

2.  What is the command to disable the restriction on non-official servers.  I assume there is one.

3.  Are S+ Turrets affected by the limit (they currently don't display the limit message on unofficial).

1. Not sure myself tbh.

2. I believe it is disabled by default as the Patch Notes provide the settings to "enable" if you wish. 

3. Most likely not as they are not vanilla turrets. But you might want to test it with the settings enabled on the server.

Hi all!

First of all, thanks for giving to the players the time to apply the modifies to their actual bases and for giving them a chance to write what they think.

There are stil some issues with the turrets limit and some players are leaving ARK and starting to play other games, even in my tribe, for this reason. We just spent a lot of time on setting defense and farming turrets, and soon we'll see all our work gone. And we need to do other work and modify the base again and we still don't know how to do that and if it will work. That's so demotivating, after we spent months on farming turrets to have a good defense. If we farmed all these turrets in this time it's just because the game asked for them. Because farming for weeks and weeks to defend the dinos you've tamed or breeded it's not so funny, we did it just because we needed to do it.

We aren't a big tribe and we aren't alpha, but we farmed 800 turrets in these months.

What will we do with the other 700 turrets? What about the time we spent to farm them?

It seems noone cares about that.

You should think a way to refund the cost of turrets that the players have, or a way to convert them in the new turrets.

Because seeing that you've wasted a lot of time and can't get back anything it's so frustrating and it's making players leaving definitely ARK.

Edited by TheSpread

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:09 AM, GP said:

1. Not sure myself tbh.

2. I believe it is disabled by default as the Patch Notes provide the settings to "enable" if you wish. 

3. Most likely not as they are not vanilla turrets. But you might want to test it with the settings enabled on the server.

I found this on the newsfeed (answers #2).  My unofficial server is showing the turret limit warning that's why I asked-

bLimitTurretsInRange=true
LimitTurretsRange=10000
LimitTurretsNum=100

On 11/21/2017 at 9:16 PM, Poseidon888 said:

@TheRightHand @Jatheish @Jen

What about primitive/primitive plus servers? We can only use plant x and once again you’ve fixed the problems for the non-primitive servers but not us. Are you going to give us a new plant turret? Plant Z maybe? Or are you going to continue to ignore us?

You’ve already made all primitive servers legacy, which you don’t support any longer, deleted all primitive scorched servers, and despite the fact that you said we can use primitive + instead, you’ve only created a single server cluster for primitive + on Xbox and there are absolutely no scorched primitive + servers. In addition, primitive + hasn’t had any of its engrams updated in months, so we can’t ride any of the dinos that have been released in that time, and you haven’t enabled any of the scorched engrams on primitive + which means we can’t use any of the scorched earth engrams, resources, or dinosaurs on Ragnarok. I have posted this multiple times on all of your twitter accounts and contacted support but haven’t received any legitimate response from you. Either answer and address these problems or give us our money back. 

Primitive plus is the only way I cate to play an more with all this tech crap out.  Primitive plus, we don't get love.  Servers have died from everyone waiting for tag, now people left because they couldn't even get on an play on release day.  Nothing more than a discuragement than an unfair advantage as people getting a head start because you are unable to even get on.  Now people are waiting for aberration and some will leave rag.  But oh well now, right?

On 11/29/2017 at 1:57 AM, GP said:

Ragnarok is not developed by the same devs making the Aberration map. Ragnarok is a Mod map that was made by 2 Mods, then it became a sponsored mod still being developed by the 2 Mods, and then became an officially integrated mod for the core game that is still being developed by the same 2 Mods.

I don't know why people are constantly complaining about the Devs developing the Aberration map instead of working on the Ragnarok map when they are 2 very different maps developed by very different people.

so the devs are just doing nothing but pushing the pve aspect of ark. If the people doing the rag map cant fix it fire them, people didn't spend 60$ for a broken pile of junk

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, RoGCody120039 said:

If the people doing the rag map cant fix it fire them, people didn't spend 60$ for a broken pile of junk

The Ragnarok map is a free DLC (it didn't cost you a penny) that is still in development. 

If you wish you may play it in it's current unfinished state, or you can just as easily decide to wait until it is actually done.  If you do decide to play it now, your constructive feedback and bug reports have value as the last two areas are put together and the final polishing of the map begins.  Just be aware that you will find issues and errors that have not yet been addressed.  If that's a problem, you should wait until it is complete.

Edited by Ranger1
  • Like 1

On 22/11/2017 at 12:35 AM, Jen said:

Happy Tuesday, Survivors! Normally our news posts go out on Friday, but we've got some exciting and also important news to share today. Let's go!

Aberration Release Date!

We are excited to announce we have a release date for Aberration: December 12th of this year. 

All of us here at Studio Wildcard have been working diligently to progress through the Aberration workflow in anticipation of getting it into your hands. Aberration will be an ARK experience unlike anything survivors have seen so far. We hope you are all as excited as we are for its release!

Update on Turrets

large.5a14b7a0acf72_Pastedimageat2017_11

A few days ago we announced a big change to the game wherein we would be limiting the use of turrets within a radius on our Official Servers. We have been keeping track of all the feedback, reading all the threads, and we understand that this is an important change. Therefore, we'll be making some modifications to our initial plan in order to deal with the concerns that have arisen, as well as ensure a smoother transition to the new turret system for all players. Here's what's going down:

We are no longer hard-limiting turrets on the 5th of December, that timeline has changed. We still plan to hard-limit them, but it'll be pushed further out now that we'll be introducing a new kind of turret into the mix. Here's the new plan:

PC players can expect the new "Heavy Turret" on the 27th, it will launch with an active server-side turret limit specifically for "Heavy Turrets". We'll take the time to monitor player feedback and our official servers to see if there's anything that we missed, so then we'll have time to consider how to fix and address those concerns. This means that if you're over the visual limit on your regular Auto Turrets, you'll be fine (for now). However, you won't be able to place the Heavy Turrets, unless you're within the limit. We recommend taking advantage of this time to slowly transition your base to using the new Heavy Turrets over the old ones. 

When Aberration releases on the 12th December, it will have the turret hard-limit enabled on that map from the get-go. This means that neither regular Auto Turrets or Heavy Turrets can be placed on Aberration above the limit. After some time -- likely in the latter half of December -- this change will be enabled on the other maps, however, we'll be providing 2 weeks notice beforehand so you can make any adjustments as necessary. The idea is that you can immediately use the Heavy Turrets in the meantime to prepare for the change while ensuring your base remains well-defended.

Console players can expect to see the arrival of the Heavy Turret when the Aberration launches. By this time, the Heavy Turret would have gone through multiple balance passes. The reason we opted to take this route is that we want to make sure it's in a good state before it went live on the console. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to rapidly iterate as we do on PC, due to the cert process. Console will ultimately follow the same hard-limit activation as PC, albeit several weeks after the hard-limit is activated on PC.

For those who hadn't seen some of our previous dialogue on the change, you can check out this short blurb post by Senior Technical & Gameplay Designer, Kayd Hendricks (aka TheRightHand). He covers what are our current thought-processes are, as well as shares some information that we had discussed previously.

Additional News!

PlayStation 4 SIEA (Americas) Season Pass Skins

large.AberrationMasks.jpg

Great news guys! Sony has enabled the skins on the backend and they should be available for players to acquire in game! As Sony marks the Season Pass bonuses as DLC, players will need to head into the PlayStation Store via their console dashboard and download them (they're free!).

Xbox Play Anywhere

In addition to the Aberration update, barring any cert issues, Xbox will receive the Play Anywhere update on December 12th. This update will allow crossplay between the Windows 10 version of ARK and the Xbox version. Survivors will be able to choose to allow crossplay on their unofficial servers or non-dedicated sessions with a simple checkbox on the host menu. 

Holiday Events!

We'd like to wish all survivors out there a Happy Thanksgiving and hope that have a great weekend! As for our plans, we will not be hosting an event for Thanksgiving this year due to our efforts being focused on Aberration and getting it out in December. We apologise for the lack of event this time of year, we love hosting holiday events, but unfortunately, we just didn't have the time to do so. Though, with Christmas around the corner, you won't have to wait long for a special Christmas themed Holiday Event!

Black Friday ARK Sales!

large.BlackFriday.jpg

With Black Friday coming up, ARK: Survival Evolved will be having multiple sales across retail and digital for all platforms!

The following prices will be in effect this Friday in North America:

Wal-Mart (US Stores) - $29.99 USD (a discount of $30)

GameStop (US Stores) - $34.99 USD (a discount of $25)

EB Games (Canadian Stores) - $39.99 CAD

ARK is also currently on sale in the Xbox Digital Store until 11:00 AM GMT on Tuesday, November 28th, 2017:

ARK: Survival Evolved - 25% off

Scorched Earth - 35% off

Explorer's Edition - 30% off

Season Pass - 25% off

ARK is also available on sale now with early access for PS+ members and will be on sale on the 23rd of November for everyone else until Black Friday (27/11). Please note that the discounts may vary based on your region.

ARK: Survival Evolved

Scorched Earth

ARK: Explorer’s Edition

ARK: Season pass

Complete your ARK Season Pass

ARK will also be participating in this year's Steam Autumn Sale! It'll run from now until 6 PM on the 28th of November!

ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Season pass

That's it for this post guys! As always if you want to keep up with the latest news be sure to follow us on:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

:Jerblove:

View full article

Can we pretty please get some updated information on turret change? Specifically, what happens to turrets that are over the limit in some area? Do all cease to work, do the oldest one work, or the newest? 

Also, if heavy turret is supposed to be 5x as efficient,  will it get reclassed as metal structure, because as it stands it's still 1 c4 to wreck it. 

On 12/9/2017 at 1:01 AM, Ranger1 said:

The Ragnarok map is a free DLC (it didn't cost you a penny) that is still in development. 

If you wish you may play it in it's current unfinished state, or you can just as easily decide to wait until it is actually done.  If you do decide to play it now, your constructive feedback and bug reports have value as the last two areas are put together and the final polishing of the map begins.  Just be aware that you will find issues and errors that have not yet been addressed.  If that's a problem, you should wait until it is complete.

you cant release a "Full" Game and say the "Free" DLC is still in development. Wildcard just needs to get there ducks in a row. What about the island and the center, you can under map bases on these maps. The exploits have been there since forever, its not something new. Whats your Excuse for this problem?????? I cant wait to see the problem in the "paid" DLC or when its released will it still be in "development"?? 

59 minutes ago, RoGCody120039 said:

you cant release a "Full" Game and say the "Free" DLC is still in development.

You can when the free DLC in question started it's life as nothing more than a player created map that was extremely popular on unofficial servers and in single player.  It quickly became part of the sponsored mods program, and then eventually the popularity of the map became so high it ended up officially supported as DLC.  The modding team was brought on board as a specialized team dedicated to completing the map and working on integration issues.

This allowed more ARK players to experience the map as the final area's were being completed... with the caveat that players needed to be aware that the map was not yet complete.

For reference:

Ragnarok was released on June 12, 2017 for the PC, Mac and Linux version of ARK. The map is planned to be finished at the end of the year 2017 according to its developers.

If I'm not mistaken I believe the last two desert area's and a dungeon area will be released in a few days, followed by a larger focus on resolving reported issues.

The sponsored mod program, and potential for those mods to become officially supported (and therefore available to players on official servers) has been extremely popular with the modding community and player community alike... allowing official server players the opportunity to use content that would otherwise only be available to players on modded servers, as well as in some cases to be able to give feedback to the mod creators during the development process.

The Ragnarok team in particular are a great example of this as they frequently live stream while working on the map, taking feedback and explaining design decisions in real time as the map is created.

As to the rest of your post, keep in mind that the development of a persistent world game like ARK (and its related DLC) never really stops.  EVE Online is an excellent example of this.  That game has essentially been "in development" since it was released nearly 15 years ago with constant iterations, improvements to basic game play mechanics, and expansions.  Interestingly, many of those changes made over the years very closely parallel changes we are seeing in ARK today... and some of those changes were first introduced (whenever possible) on an "opt in" basis (much like the option to try the Ragnarok map if a player chose to do so) before final integration for the entire player base. 

Obviously they could not do that in all situations.  For example they could not have half the player base using 10 standard drones while the rest used 5 more powerful drones, or some using turrets that hit twice as hard (but at fired half the speed) while the rest of the players used the old versions.  But in other cases this wasn't a problem, and players that wished to had a chance to get hands on with new features as they were developed.  It's one of the reasons why EVE continues to grow and evolved even after a decade and a half, and a similar methodology is working very well for the development of the Ragnarok map.

Edited by Ranger1