Aberration Release, Turrets, PlayAnywhere, Holidays, and Black Friday!

Jen

Guest DJRone89
4 minutes ago, GP said:

It's not a case of it being easier, I mean there's nothing hard right now so what is easy?

I'll be happy to admit I made a mistake when i'm proven wrong, and if I am proven wrong then that will most likely be on Dec 12th when someone tries to set up a server on their home PC and gets Xbox players to join the server. If that works then i'll happily admit I was wrong. I have no shame in admitting i'm wrong, if/when I am wrong.

Wouldn’t it have been better to have said from the start, “I don’t know if it’s possible until launch” instead of telling people it’s only possible through Nitrado?

Everyone on every thread that I’m aware of has interpreted “You can host on your own PC” as you can host your own dedicated server on your Windows 10 PC through UWP.

Nothing wrong with being unsure but it’s better than spreading misinformation.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, DJRone89 said:

Wouldn’t it have been better to have said from the start, “I don’t know if it’s possible until launch” instead of telling people it’s only possible through Nitrado?

Everyone on every thread that I’m aware of has interpreted “You can host on your own PC” as you can host your own dedicated server on your Windows 10 PC through UWP.

Nothing wrong with being unsure but it’s better than spreading misinformation.

I'm pretty sure of what I say. Maybe it is better for everyone to say they don't know if it's possible until launch. Why am I the only one singled out?

I said i'm happy to admit i'm wrong if/when i'm proven wrong, but that doesn't mean i'm not confident of what I say.

Guest DJRone89
6 minutes ago, GP said:

I'm pretty sure of what I say. Maybe it is better for everyone to say they don't know if it's possible until launch. Why am I the only one singled out?

I said i'm happy to admit i'm wrong if/when i'm proven wrong, but that doesn't mean i'm not confident of what I say.

Well since your point and everyone else’s is valid, until we get a definitive answer from the devs, it’s just a wait and see at this moment in time.

Apologies for my first comment.

• Administrator

You will be able to host a player dedicated server using your home computers via Xbox Play Anywhere, it will be identical to how Player Dedicated servers are hosted on your console right now (meaning you won't be able to see the server's "console"/the backend is hidden/there's no feedback from the server to the host unlike regular PC hosted servers).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

You will be able to host a player dedicated server using your home computers via Xbox Play Anywhere, it will be identical to how Player Dedicated servers are hosted on your console right now (meaning you won't be able to see the server's "console"/the backend is hidden/there's no feedback from the server to the host unlike regular PC hosted servers).

*high five*

Thank you very much for the clarification.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, TranqRex said:

*high five*

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Yes, that's where my confusion was it seems, I had PC hosting stuck in my mind as a PC server with backend access and access to the INIs etc as PC hosting is normally. So that confusion my end is my mistake. Glad it's cleared up though.

13 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Thanks for the much needed clarification.

15 minutes ago, GP said:

Yes, that's where my confusion was it seems, I had PC hosting stuck in my mind as a PC server with backend access and access to the INIs etc as PC hosting is normally. So that confusion my end is my mistake. Glad it's cleared up though.

Not only you, your fellow mod joeblow - but it's no big deal. I was just a little concerned you had 'new/secret' info is all ;)

I always expected the exact same version as I have on the Xbox, because after all that is pretty much what Play Anywhere is. I'm not quite clear yet as to what Jen meant where she mentions the 'second copy' - I mean I know you get a digital version for both platforms but whether you can use both at the same time? I imagine not, so in order to host a server I expect I'll still have to use my second Live account that hosted my Xbox server. That's not an issue at all though because I already have it plus a second copy of the game anyway. We'll find out soon enough!

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:01 AM, PoorBaby said:

@KrakenOverlord

How about a BEE catapult, where the beehive is the projectile and would deal torpor damage? Like a tranq catapult bullet! 

that would be AWESOME! I also REALLY liked the idea that was made about the bee hives acting like a primitive turret. Those in my opinion have been a bit neglected... only plant x and y (x is way over used and nobody really even understands y, lol.)

6 hours ago, GP said:

No-one has been scammed of anything.

I would not go so far as to call it a scam yet, but having a sale on the Season Pass twice before anything new is out is probably not looking good for people who bought it back in September at a higher price.  Especially if they already had Scorched Earth for a year and were then told they could not refund because of time played.

Having to keep a PC on 24/7 is the same has having an Xbox one on 24/7. 

What I don’t get is this : nitrado surely has a Unix version of ark cross play server software. Just like there is a Unix steam version server. Why wouldn’t we be able to have a Unix win10/Xbox cross play server software just like nitrado has? Why am I forced to rent a server when I have my own that already hosts a steam server that I could replace with a cross play version?

19 hours ago, Jatheish said:

can anyone help with the highlighted points above? i run a player dedicated on xbox via a second console, but i'm not sure what "not being able to see the server's console" means in this context ........ or "the backend is hidden", or "no feedback from the server to the host"...... 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, ZRISTWI10 said:

can anyone help with the highlighted points above? i run a player dedicated on xbox via a second console, but i'm not sure what "not being able to see the server's console" means in this context ........ or "the backend is hidden", or "no feedback from the server to the host"...... 

Basically it means it will be exactly the same as you have now with a second console.

The backend etc is where all the INI files and everything else are stored. So when you rent PC servers normally from like Nitrado, Survival Servers etc you usually have access to the backend via FTP. On the Xbox PC hosting you won't, so it will be no different from what you do now with a second Xbox, just that you don't need that second Xbox anymore.

8 hours ago, ElCobrito said:

Having to keep a PC on 24/7 is the same has having an Xbox one on 24/7. 

What I don’t get is this : nitrado surely has a Unix version of ark cross play server software. Just like there is a Unix steam version server. Why wouldn’t we be able to have a Unix win10/Xbox cross play server software just like nitrado has? Why am I forced to rent a server when I have my own that already hosts a steam server that I could replace with a cross play version?

It's licensing and security between the platforms. Microsoft is very protective (rightly so) of all the avenues into the Live system - just look at the hoops you have to go through to even rent a Nitrado server (app via the Windows Store etc). They're not just going to give you an entry point into their network. Steam is completely different, they're a PC-based system and it's in their interest to allow Windows/*nix users to interact - they don't have a console network they've spent 15+ years building up to protect.

As for the first point... yeah, it is the same (except you don't have to buy the second console). But a lot of people already have a server running 24/7 for other things, so it's no big deal to run a game on it.

@Jatheish @Jen @TheRightHand

I'm on a dead island legacy server; no other tribes and only about 80 tames, but a titano attacking a turret wall of maybe 150 turrets d/c'd the sever and there was only 5 people on. Our base has maybe 300 turrets total on herb island. No plant x either. You should really look into what is causing your server performance issues as I am proof that it doesn't take thousands of turrets, hundreds of tames and dozens of people for your servers to fail. It was an absolute bare minimum load and your code failed. You have made well over 200 million dollars with this game yet your servers can't even do the minimum without failure. You can take this however you want but please don't ignore the facts.

While I'm here you need more mods for your severs, there is tons of footage of tribes being under mapped and nothing gets done. There are caps of private messenger apps with people using the same handle as their GT's threatening to undermap a tribe then it happens. I sent in clips of a tribe threatening to ddos our server, having them count down to the dos and it happening and nothing was ever done. If there are no consequences for peoples actions then you can expect to lose more and more players due to unpunished cheating.

• Like 1