Empty servers?

FrankTheCaesar

I just started a week ago and love this game. But I am having a problem and need a solution. 

I have played on official PVP and it seems that every time I have built up a relatively "good" base, I wake up in the morning to see broken ceilings with all my stuff destroyed or taken. Pretty much defeats the purpose of metal spikes around a .5 mile perimeter if they just fly on the top. 

(Before you say "spam 100 turrets on top and make your base a laggy, ugly fortress", I play with 4 equally newbie friends and that takes way too much time.)

Which brings me to my question. Is there a way to find any empty or nearly always empty servers? I like PVP but getting knocked down every day before we're even up is annoying as hell. I'd like to build on empty places and transfer our supplies and tames to a better server. After checking out the obs of course. I heard that people like to guard obs from people like me. 

So how can I find 0/70 servers or similar? Every server has at least 10 people on Xbox. Yet when I see server names, I see "467", "538", and so forth when the list only has 180 servers. How does that work?

I am on official and would like to stay there. Unofficial is too easy and PvE gets boring after not being able to kill anyone. 

5 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

You wont find an empty official server... I mean, middle of the night, possibly, but I doubt it. I'd suggest to just keep searching until you find a server that's reasonable or to your liking. Good luck!

Like one with an alpha that isn't greedy? Because every one I've been to so far has a mega tribe that locked down the server super tight. Some won't let you build at all :( As if I had any chance to c4 their base lol

25 minutes ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

I just started a week ago and love this game. But I am having a problem and need a solution. 

I have played on official PVP and it seems that every time I have built up a relatively "good" base, I wake up in the morning to see broken ceilings with all my stuff destroyed or taken. Pretty much defeats the purpose of metal spikes around a .5 mile perimeter if they just fly on the top. 

(Before you say "spam 100 turrets on top and make your base a laggy, ugly fortress", I play with 4 equally newbie friends and that takes way too much time.)

Which brings me to my question. Is there a way to find any empty or nearly always empty servers? I like PVP but getting knocked down every day before we're even up is annoying as hell. I'd like to build on empty places and transfer our supplies and tames to a better server. After checking out the obs of course. I heard that people like to guard obs from people like me. 

So how can I find 0/70 servers or similar? Every server has at least 10 people on Xbox. Yet when I see server names, I see "467", "538", and so forth when the list only has 180 servers. How does that work?

I am on official and would like to stay there. Unofficial is too easy and PvE gets boring after not being able to kill anyone. 

What I recommend you do is actual announce your intention. If you join a server ask if it's cool if you and a few buddies build there. Ask if they have any locations in mind that you would be free to use. If you join a server and they are receptive then you can potentially get hooked up with free stuff and may even get a good head start with their help. If they are jerks and tell you to get out of here because they will wipe you, then you can go to another server. 

When you join up on a server and are a fresh spawn the majority of people blowing into your base and taking your stuff are low level pvpers. They are the scum of most servers and Alpha tribes simply leave them alone because they will troll the alphas and  cause more grief and annoyance and are literally impossible to stop because they have nothing to lose and will do everything they can just to annoy you. These are the people you need to fight off and if your getting permission from a servers alpha to build and they let you have a few turrets up on your base, you will likely not lose all your stuff in one night.

Just remember that when you pop up on a new server with 10+ turrets and you don't say a word in chat, people are going to wipe you because they don't know who you are. Find a server with good alphas and you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

22 minutes ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

Like one with an alpha that isn't greedy? Because every one I've been to so far has a mega tribe that locked down the server super tight. Some won't let you build at all :( As if I had any chance to c4 their base lol

what platform do you play on? also, your logo dont suggest you wouldnt be same lake those people if you had chance :D

2 hours ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

There are official PVP servers with offline raid protection, and they're also pretty empty. They have them on PC, idk about xbox.

Hate to say it, but hide, hide, and then when you think it's safe to actually build, keep hiding.

Advice to go server to server announcing intentions and finding a place where the alpha will allow you to build is actaully a good advice. In my experience at least 1 of 4 alphas isn't completely awful. The issue is that until you have a metal base with the hundred turrets you mention, it doesn't take an alpha to raid you, it takes one guy living in a 2x2 transferring in from another server. So in this sense being friends with the alpha is great, but doesn't protect you from griefers or small time raiders - this is probably what you're dealing with TBH, when you're small if Alphas want you gone, they tend to foundation wipe or close to it, not just knock in your ceiling.

What you need to do on Official PvP is build tiny hidden bases, and grind out everything you need for real defenses, then put it all up at once, the whole while praying you don't get found out. Don't tame beyond the super basic and small dinos (pteras, maybe argy for travel, few dodos for kibble and poop for fertilizer for plant x), until you've got that real defended base. That's it, really the only thing you can do, and even then, you'll get your doors kicked in if someone really wants in. It seems time consuming, and it is, if you accept now that most of Ark Official PvP is grinding metal walls, turrets, bullets, gas to power it all, you'll have a more realistic expectation for the game.

I also hate to say this, but now is a TERRIBLE time to be learning on official PvP with a small tribe. With the coming turret nerf, whether you love it or hate it, it's likely to be all out war across servers on 12/5 as people jockey to take advantage of the situation. If they don't get the defensive balance right, and bases get much easier to raid, Alphas get much more paranoid and even the 1 in 4 decent ones I mentioned wipe their servers. Can't take the risk you're about to tame up a high level steggo and take their poop down, so they won't even allow people to get to that point.

As many have mentioned, talking in chat is a good way to start. Yes you might get wiped a few times because of it on different servers, but find one that is not so hostile. Get in a party chat with an alpha and talk about what you want.  A lot of servers in my experience are raid friendly in server (alpha alliance and raiding within the server is bad juju) but group up to go raiding on another server. The biggest problem as people have mentioned is that Mega Tribes are on the move and do raid with scouts going first to check out the servers. If someone finds a server, then the population can go from 30 to 60 and have brontos, stegos, golems, wyverns, and griffins pop in to attack the server. 

To prevent this, it is easier and smarter to be hostile to most and patrol any yellow structures/bases and confirm if anyone has heard of the new "intruder" to the server. If the answer is a no, most times it results in a wipe of dinos and materials and everything. As Arkasaurio said if it is a ceiling or one wall, then it is not the alpha alliance. 

TL;DR Speak up in chat and state your intentions. Do what you can to talk in person in chat to an alpha. Build small and know that a few wipes are coming. build a hidden spot (false wall space) that if you do get raided by a small tribe you don't start from scratch. Getting into an alliance is the key to long term survival. 

6 hours ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

Build stealthy if your going to build with a small tribe if they can't find you they can't raid you or at least give you time to build up 

6 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

What you need to do on Official PvP is build tiny hidden bases, and grind out everything you need for real defenses, then put it all up at once, the whole while praying you don't get found out. Don't tame beyond the super basic and small dinos (pteras, maybe argy for travel, few dodos for kibble and poop for fertilizer for plant x), until you've got that real defended base. That's it, really the only thing you can do, and even then, you'll get your doors kicked in if someone really wants in. It seems time consuming, and it is, if you accept now that most of Ark Official PvP is grinding metal walls, turrets, bullets, gas to power it all, you'll have a more realistic expectation for the game.

I also hate to say this, but now is a TERRIBLE time to be learning on official PvP with a small tribe. With the coming turret nerf, whether you love it or hate it, it's likely to be all out war across servers on 12/5 as people jockey to take advantage of the situation. If they don't get the defensive balance right, and bases get much easier to raid, Alphas get much more paranoid and even the 1 in 4 decent ones I mentioned wipe their servers. Can't take the risk you're about to tame up a high level steggo and take their poop down, so they won't even allow people to get to that point.

what this guy said

17 hours ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

let me give you real advice this time. if you are new to ark, i would suggest you to try single player for week, to get comprehend of basic ark mechanic. building, crafting, taming and to wander around and get to know map a bit, where major landmarks are, where are resources, etc. after you should check for pve server, and play there. try to join some small tribe. you would probably experience most of pve content in 3 months. after that, you should try to move to pvp servers if you are still interested in ark

18 hours ago, FrankTheCaesar said:

Official servers offer a very narrow band of pvp considerations that, given the description of your wants, do not match up.  If you are playing on the steam you can consider many pvpve unofficial servers that may better cater to your wants where pvp on those servers may have a more flexible atmosphere that suits your wants. Web search lists for ark servers such as battlemetrics  (since the  in game search system is extremely inferior and limits the number of servers you can see very restrictively), would be recommended to initially find some servers to try out.  Good hunting to you.

52 minutes ago, Novarae said:

Official servers offer a very narrow band of pvp considerations that, given the description of your wants, do not match up.  If you are playing on the steam you can consider many pvpve unofficial servers that may better cater to your wants where pvp on those servers may have a more flexible atmosphere that suits your wants. Web search lists for ark servers such as battlemetrics  (since the  in game search system is extremely inferior and limits the number of servers you can see very restrictively), would be recommended to initially find some servers to try out.  Good hunting to you.

From what I've seen Official PVP servers have a rather wide band of what you can do PVP wise. It is the unofficial servers that throw in rules and try to limit what players can and can't do that makes them very limited in terms of player freedom. One day the admin could just come along and delete your base. Official PVP has issues but at least you can factor them in a logical way, there is way to factor in a bad tempered admin.

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

From what I've seen Official PVP servers have a rather wide band of what you can do PVP wise. It is the unofficial servers that throw in rules and try to limit what players can and can't do that makes them very limited in terms of player freedom. One day the admin could just come along and delete your base. Official PVP has issues but at least you can factor them in a logical way, there is way to factor in a bad tempered admin.

Been there, suffered that. Admin abused powers once they saw the tribe was growing too much.

1 minute ago, davidcostarica said:

Been there, suffered that. Admin abused powers once they saw the tribe was growing too much.

I had an admin on one server tell me on discord that our tribe was causing the server population to die off and therefore he was banning us. All we were doing was PVP on his "PVP" server.

18 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I had an admin on one server tell me on discord that our tribe was causing the server population to die off and therefore he was banning us. All we were doing was PVP on his "PVP" server.

Yeah it always ends up in that. Sooner or later. happened almost the same scenario the 4 times i have played unofficial pvp.

34 minutes ago, Dungy said:

Me and a few of my buddies are looking for a chill server to play on but we hate pve we love to build up and not having to worry about us getting raided when we log off

Love to build up without getting raided ? Then why hate pve . ? 

Just remember that even if you find the most friendliest alpha in the world one day two 15 yr olds are going to transfer over from another server with a Griffin and a rex and smash your base to pieces. The longer you build the more it will hurt. PvP servers are for people who don' mind being raided and rebuilding because they want to kill peoples stuff too, if you just want to build and have no intentions of raiding then PvP is not the place for you.

Archived