Good job devs!

George1988

Ok, so i don’t know if there is a special place where i can send the devs a message so i’m gonna post it here, maybe they see it. All the nerfing that you guys did over the course of developement have made the game better and ballanced in my opinion. I see alot of videos on youtube saying that you destroy the game and all that bs, but i want to thank you guys. Every change (even the ones that i didn’t agree on) has eventually made ark a more ballanced game. Keep up the good work and don’t listen to the scrubs. All mature players agree with the changes you make to the game!

No, we don't... poor form to claim you speak for any demographic.

A large number of the 'game changes' made by the dev team have changed the overall game experience. Some good, some bad, some downright awful - a large proportion of them to counter tactics developed in PvP that they had not foreseen. I would be much happier with them 'actually' preventing duping and making the existing game run smoothly than practically any change they've made.

The majority of additions brought nothing to the player experience except frustration (pego) poor attempts to correct their own capacity issues (server caps, leeds) or worse attempts to force relevancy (flyer nerf to make the ground game useful).

Fix the issues, stop pandering to a subset of player styles.

Yeah No one ever called for a flyer nerf untill they opened up free transfers everyone got together and bred 370 pteras and 15k base health quetz,  then all of a sudden flyers was op . The small tribes had nothing to trade for them so there was suddenly a big gap in alpha flyers and noobs flyers . Wildcard made the situation to need the nerf . And most normal players just wanted to fly from the underworld to the redwoods in a decent time. 

Same with most other nerfs , wildcard caused it by changing something else and then nerf a major thing to compensate. Like platform saddles , what did they think people would build on them? Obvious first choice was turrets for protection (no not alowed) then its walls and gates to protect it from getting shot ( no not allowed either ) so then it's ramps to help farming and carry dinos ( no too easy let's nerf that ) so now we have dinos that can have platforms on but there is nothing we are alowed to build on them exept maybe a foundation to cover the rider ( how long till that gets fixed ? ) . 

While I didn't really agree with any of the big changes at first, I have to admit that they've made the game feel more balanced in PvP. From the flyer nerf, the giga health nerf, Club (slight) nerf, the perm 2x gathering/taming, and the big changes which I've come to like are mainly the transfer cooldown on dinos (12 hours?) and the server name showing up on tames. Why? because it's simple, I was tired of seeing server hoppers almost every single day.

I'd be fishing, minding my own business wearing ghillie and me & my tame would suddenly get killed from behind while I'm sat down with my rod out, then they'd mount up on their Ptera and leave the server ASAP with my loot & the BPs I fished up. Easy loot? sure, but I could never find the player simply because they were allowed to just transfer out leaving no trace. Not only that, but my allies would be getting randomly picked all of the time by server hoppers and base's gates would get blown up for the sake of it. 

Turret nerfs? as biased as it sounds, our base doesn't even have 60 turrets yet because we came back from a break after trying to settle on 5+ different rag servers to eventually move to our friend's official pvp server. Their base is going to suffer because their turret coverage isn't going to be enough for 100. I don't think it's fair for normal crops and bear traps to count towards the 100 cap, but whatever supposedly helps the servers performance out in the long run, is always worth considering. The heavy turret is a great addition, I just can't wait to see it and test it out. 

Also, I was sick of mega-alpha tribes hiding behind 500+ turret bases. So yeah, I'm happy. 

Edit: Also the turret buff to shoot players off of tames was a very welcoming change. The stego armorplates nerf helps a lot too, but I hope standard turrets get a knockback effect, otherwise they'll be obsolete since most tribes are already talking about filling that 100 turret cap with Heavy turrets... 

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, Fealthion said:

A large number of the 'game changes' made by the dev team have changed the overall game experience. Some good, some bad, some downright awful - a large proportion of them to counter tactics developed in PvP that they had not foreseen.

I would not say it is directly linked to "counter" the tactics of players, but more to "fix" issues introduced by said tactics. To take the most recent controversial change, they are not limiting turrets because they are effective to protect your base but they limit them to increase server performance. They also are implementing a stronger turret to ensure the limitation doesn't affect players' protection which show they cares about both, server performance and general game-play.

21 minutes ago, Fealthion said:

The majority of additions brought nothing to the player experience except frustration (pego) poor attempts to correct their own capacity issues (server caps, leeds)

Pegos and Leeds are great mechanics. Sure can be annoying, but they add some sort of "fear" to land/sea travels making them less boring because you always have to watch your back and stay aware of the world around you. Game wouldn't be as fun and exciting with only passive Unicorns all over the map. :D

31 minutes ago, Fealthion said:

worse attempts to force relevancy (flyer nerf to make the ground game useful).

I wouldn't qualify this an "attempt", because it successfully made combats more dynamic. Let's be honest here, a 300% speed Pteranodon able to outrun turrets fire and blinking in your screen because even the fastest internet connection is unable to follow its networked movements was just ridiculous. It did bring other strategies to the game-play and proven to be beneficial as a whole. Don't get me wrong, we all miss the speed travels but with some hindsight everyone can agree it was more than needed.

I get what you're saying but the idea of platform saddles was a mobile forward base. You can still put plant species on them. 

Can you imagine a Quetzal with 50 auto turrets set to high, all targets just flying around murdering everything.

You you remember disconnecting while flying and falling to your death and you bird flies to sky box lost forever.

Dinos falling through the ground never to be seen again.

3 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Don't get me wrong, we all miss the speed travels but with some hindsight everyone can agree it was more than needed.

Not everyone... I don't agree. To the way I play, it has only been detrimental. Which is exactly what @Fealthion said:

44 minutes ago, Fealthion said:

As one not playing Official PvP I pretty much all the time feel I'm being overrun because all balancing changes are made with only Official PvP players in mind, with no second thoughts whatosever to how the changes may affect any other players :/

48 minutes ago, Fealthion said:

No, we don't... poor form to claim you speak for any demographic.

A large number of the 'game changes' made by the dev team have changed the overall game experience. Some good, some bad, some downright awful - a large proportion of them to counter tactics developed in PvP that they had not foreseen. I would be much happier with them 'actually' preventing duping and making the existing game run smoothly than practically any change they've made.

The majority of additions brought nothing to the player experience except frustration (pego) poor attempts to correct their own capacity issues (server caps, leeds) or worse attempts to force relevancy (flyer nerf to make the ground game useful).

Which subset are you referring to?
I agree that some changes add more frustration than anything else, the Pegomastix being a prime example.
There's changes I welcome though to break the current meta and huge alliance coalitions in the game.
They simply indicate there's something fundamentally wrong, and needs to be changed

30 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Same with most other nerfs , wildcard caused it by changing something else and then nerf a major thing to compensate.

Yeah, we have a name for that, it's called balancing. So far all you are describing is:

1. WildCard adds a feature

2. That features creates an issue in game.

3. WildCard adjust game mechanics to compensate for feature to bring the game back into balance.

4. Repeat.

1 hour ago, Olivar said:

Which subset are you referring to?

It was a generalisation, they seem to make decisions that benefit some but negatively impact others. It is almost as if they are not thinking through the consequences of each action and then scramble to recover in a cascading waterfall of failures.

Just now, Fealthion said:

It was a generalisation, they seem to make decisions that benefit some but negatively impact others. It is almost as if they are not thinking through the consequences of each action and then scramble to recover in a cascading waterfall of failures.

That's unfortunately how balancing works.
There's always going to be a part positively impacted, and a part negatively.

Normally (based on my own gaming experiences) the developers consider the consequences of the changes made and the impacts it would have on the playerbase. Each one of WC's decisions seem to be knee jerk reactions rather than any actual desire to balance the game itself.

My initial point still stands I think, they need to pause - take a breath and approach it as a whole rather than an item at a time (while continually introducing new variables).

17 hours ago, Jabroni said:

"Everyone that disagrees with me is a scrub and immature"

You are the one being immature.

I bet you’re alpha on your server. Ok, i’ll try to explain something to you. Mr. alpha, usually people speak in general terms. So if i say “ people are jerks” i don’t mean that every person on the planet is a jerk. Or if i say “people speak in general terms” i don’t mean all people. Perhaps you got trigered by the ALL in “all mature players” and in that case i apologise. Let’s say “mature players....” Hope this helps and sorry for beeing so immature.

After a 2 year hiatus, I did notice a couple of balance changes that I liked e.g my saber was no longer killing rexes and brontos in 2 bites.

Flyers taking forever to get anywhere was painful after an apparent movement speed nerf, but I do appreciate how much bigger it makes the world feel when you can't simply zip across it in a few seconds.

Lag and server crashes that roll you back to a point where you were transferring and subsequently deleting your character, don't like that quite so much lol

2 hours ago, George1988 said:

I bet you’re alpha on your server. Ok, i’ll try to explain something to you. Mr. alpha, usually people speak in general terms. So if i say “ people are jerks” i don’t mean that every person on the planet is a jerk. Or if i say “people speak in general terms” i don’t mean all people. Perhaps you got trigered by the ALL in “all mature players” and in that case i apologise. Let’s say “mature players....” Hope this helps and sorry for beeing so immature.

Wow, you're being condescending! How in line with how mature you claim to be...

So... if someone doesn't agree with you, you call them scrubs and/or are being massively condescending. To be honest, I can understand why there was a reaction to your choice of words. On this forum, so many people who voices legitimate concerns are shut down with being "scrubs", "whiners" or the like. Voicing concerns is neither. Yes, of course it's also a matter of how it is said, but that seems to play no part in whether those responses are made or not. The only thing you, and everybody else using the same techniques, say with that response is basically "Instead of trying to understand what you mean and countering with my own arguments, I'm gonna call you names", which is just sending the signal you have nothing to counter with. Of course the same goes for "the other side" that knee jerk respond with "fanboy/girl"

And yes, you presumed to speak for me when you said "all mature players" and I ask that you refrain from doing that as your opinions very much differ from mine.

Archived