Griffin Balance

ForzaProiettile

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I highly doubt that flying nerfs will be shown respect with the TLC thing that would just cause anti flyers to freak out all over again. Besides it's easier and faster to just lower some numbers and call it a day. Lazy devs love easy fixes.

i was and still is a supporter of the "Flyer Nerf" so you could call me "anti flyer" because change was much needed and way overdue, but i wont freak out about flyer TLC if it will be done properly and i have made a complex suggestion previously on how it should be done (imo). Am i an exception? I highly doubt it.

I do agree that devs love lazy fixes, crutches and clamping scripts that only work on server restart instead of revisit/revamp problematic mechanic to solve problems at their source.

19 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

So instead of 1 good flyer (arguably) there will be two good flyers (arguably griffin and wyvern). Yet again WC just nerf the 'problem' into the ground taking the easy way to do it rather than coming up with inventive ways of dealing with a problem or through more minor nerfs , just like they did with the original flyer nerf which was way too over the top. Hope to God the other flyers get some love with the tlc pass, they could do with it. The Griffin has shown us how good flyers could be mechanically wise.

The flyers are already more then good enough. Go to your average server and count how many players travel from A to B on a land dino then compare it to those who chose a flyer. The results will be 90%+ on flyers. That to me is something that needs to be addressed. I'd like to see these tanky flyers become a bit more fragile. They should reintroduce the damage bonus vs flying dinos which was in the game previously.

13 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

The flyers are already more then good enough. Go to your average server and count how many players travel from A to B on a land dino then compare it to those who chose a flyer. The results will be 90%+ on flyers. That to me is something that needs to be addressed. 

You know why people use fliers? and have several follow? PATHING IS STILL A HORRID MESS

52 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

The flyers are already more then good enough. Go to your average server and count how many players travel from A to B on a land dino then compare it to those who chose a flyer. The results will be 90%+ on flyers. That to me is something that needs to be addressed. I'd like to see these tanky flyers become a bit more fragile. They should reintroduce the damage bonus vs flying dinos which was in the game previously.

Flyers are certainly not good enough as is. If the addition of the griffin and to a certain extent the rock drake and wing suits in Aberration have shown recently is how out of date and obsolete the older flyers are mechanic wise. I am not nessesarily looking for buffs but I am fully expecting the 'new flight' mechanics to be incorporated into the older flyers during the dlc pass at the very least. To not do would almost be criminal if you ask me. Although for the love of God please increase the quetzs speed its depressing.

I will not disagree with you, of course most people travel places using flyers. But I have no problems with that per say. Its kind of the point of flight. I dont have all day to walk around on a ground mount especially on Ragnarok. Not to say that they couldnt make it 'easier' to use ground mounts.

Again I wont nessesarily disagree with you about making flyers 'weaker' to ground stuff. Did they not reintroduce the flyers vulnerablity to ranged weaponry?  Maybe they didnt. Preferably wouldnt want to see more nerfs to flyers but no reason not to buff ground play. Make it dangerous for a flyer to attack a ground mount. The megalosaurus has a fantastic ability that could be given to other dinos. People would think twice of divebombing a giga on a griffin if the giga could snatch it out the air which it feasably should be able to do. Say the meg could pick small flyers, rex medium flyers and giga larger flyers (Just an idea). Also people keep complaing about flyers picking mounted players. Introduce the harnessed saddles people have been asking for. There are ways of 'nerfing' the flyers without actually nerfing them. 

I've noticed that no one responded to the statement I made about Griffins not being able to go up versus bred and imprinted dinos that have been buffed up to insane stats. Guess it's all about making sure your land dinos are never threatened by anything with wings. And making sure the challenge is always down the same path you took - forcing people to play a game the same way you play is so '80s.

1 hour ago, Probitas said:

I've noticed that no one responded to the statement I made about Griffins not being able to go up versus bred and imprinted dinos that have been buffed up to insane stats. Guess it's all about making sure your land dinos are never threatened by anything with wings. And making sure the challenge is always down the same path you took - forcing people to play a game the same way you play is so '80s.

Because they dont have to go against "bred and imprinted dinos that have been buffed up to insane stats." All they had to do before nerf is kill the rider in a couple of swoops and that land tame is useless.

10 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Because they dont have to go against "bred and imprinted dinos that have been buffed up to insane stats." All they had to do before nerf is kill the rider in a couple of swoops and that land tame is useless.

And yet, the still buffed land dino has now been rendered pretty strong vs the now weakened Griffin, which was precisely my point, which you so poorly tried to dodge by referencing something that may or may not have happened - I'd want PROOF that a powerful land dino (bred and imprinted) was eviscerated in combat vs a standard Griffin with two players of equal ability - and that's something I doubt anyone can offer up in defense of the nerf. Exactly WHY is a land dino allowed to become so much stronger than fliers when it comes to damage and stamina and speed? Someone at WC got a hard on for them or something?

On 12/19/2017 at 8:03 PM, ChargingParacerParacer said:

It was never needed or wanted in my singleplayer world.

I feel the same way. I dont want this nerf, or any other nerf for my unofficial or singleplayer. I wish I was given the configs to micro-manage species/tame/wild stats seperately, and given every config to reverse these nerfs. Most nerfs Wildcard applied to their game, has driven stats in the opposite direction of what I want.

Where's the config to remove flier speed cap for unoficials? Doesn't exist afaik. Will we ever get this config? I'd like to disable the flyer speed cap please.

P.S. I dont use mods for my unofficial because mods have been known to corrupt save files, and make some tames non-transferrable.

On 12/17/2017 at 3:13 AM, Wazzamaniac said:

The griffin is wanny smaller than a rex, yet gets a huge amount more health? No

How are you leveling your Rex's? Lol. I had a 135 and 140 kibble tamed griffin. Added almost exclusively to HP and was still only at 21k and 22k hp. All of our Rex's are 25k hp or above with 600+% melee and they only start at 9.9k to 10.7k hp. Griffin was tanky (which is needed for their purpose of grabbing Wyvern eggs and trapping females) but no comparison to the HP a Rex gets. 

Well, from my stand point I'd say leave the griffin as is, at least until every player has one to be able to form their own opinion of it... When  and only when, every player has had the chance to fly around the servers with them as they are at the moment, should any balance / nerf be considered; applied.. And that goes for every creature out there.... So basically, leave it alone!!>:(

1 hour ago, RabidWarpig said:

I really do get that there needs to be balance but instead of bringing the air game down maybe bring the ground game up?

Apparently that would be too easy. Would be nice to see the word buff more often rather then nerf nerf nerf... IMO especially since the flyer nerf (which while needed went way too far) the problem hasnt been flyers being OP but the ground game being underpowered. Maybe they could make the ground game powerful enough that they could make flyers enjoyable to use again...

3 minutes ago, RabidWarpig said:

Think they already nerfed it correct?

Unfortunately....... Still fuming lol

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

Apparently that would be too easy. Would be nice to see the word buff more often rather then nerf nerf nerf... IMO especially since the flyer nerf (which while needed went way too far) the problem hasnt been flyers being OP but the ground game being underpowered. Maybe they could make the ground game powerful enough that they could make flyers enjoyable to use again...

Unfortunately....... Still fuming lol

Exactly.. i know they are now working on the tlc dino pass but from what they have shown  its only visual, not any new mechanics for creatures that have fallen out of pace with the newer more specialized dinos. And yea they gave the gave the griffin a pretty good hit :(

On 12/20/2017 at 7:26 AM, Zederia said:

You know why people use fliers? and have several follow? PATHING IS STILL A HORRID MESS

This.

This is why when I left my base it was by flyer or Thyla. This is why I don't use pack tames. It's better on Aberration with ravagers, but mostly because of ziplines.

With the excessive nerf making them so fragile to everything, it's too easy to lose a good griffin to a bug, crash, or dc, and complete RNG to replace. If no one is riding it, a Griffin might as well be a well bred raptor. I've seen exactly one max level Griffin so far, I tamed it, I used it, and now it will sit in my base. I doubt I'll use it for much of anything now unless they become breedable or this nerf is revisited.

On Rag I had 3 flying tames I took out regularly, and one land tame. Now I have 2 flying and one land. Yeap, that's more flyer diversity for ya.

Archived