Griffin Balance

ForzaProiettile

17 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I am holding out for hope too. If enough of a fuss can be used to nerf them, then surely enough fuss can unnerf them (I kinda feel childish even suggesting that, just how strongly I feel about the situation) 

I am holding onto hope that they unnerf them for PvE, or at least give us the configs to reverse the nerf for unofficial. What happens in PvP is none of my business, because I dont play PvP.

For those who have asked for numbers, I screenied an older video of mine, and took a screenie today of the same griff:

hYoEYe0.png

Leveled it in stamina mostly, as it was able to travel from green oby to red oby with 2k stam, which is a trip I frequently made on the Island with a diff griff, who has gone from about 2k stamina to 1.7k ... time to level them some more to be able to make the trip in one go... or hope Wildcard reverses this nerf on PvE

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but Griffins rightly deserved their nerf, even in PvE. If you don't give a damn about them being nerfed in PvP, why should I give a damn about them being nerfed in PvE? what exactly have you lost? wow, you now KINDA have to land more for stamina and you can't simple smash the hell out of a few wild dinos, gosh. Such a terrible loss! 

They were clearly over-performing in PvE and PvP, and if you disagree, then it just goes to show what kind of player you are for getting too comfortable with something that was overpowered since day 1 of their release. They were a huge slap in the face to those of us who were in favour of the flyer nerfs because of how WildCard nerfed all flyers and then suddenly added one which could outperform almost every flyer; the Griffin.

I've been PvPing non-stop for a week now because our server is at war (thanks to certain megatribes) and in every single PvP scenario, a Griffin completely dominates. Pick and bite. Dive-bomb and win. Hover and snipe. Get shot loads of times, no problem - insanely high health. Need to dodge somebody? here's some Tapejara mobility! oh and have some insane speed while you're at it. You barely have to land to regain stamina at around 2,000 because you can get from A to B within no time.

Thank you WildCard. B|

31 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I am holding out for hope too. If enough of a fuss can be used to nerf them, then surely enough fuss can unnerf them (I kinda feel childish even suggesting that, just how strongly I feel about the situation) 

Dude!  I totally feel the same way.  I’m an adult with a life and career who loves this game.  But I’m seriously ticked about this nerf.  And even though I too feel a bit childish complaining about it, I’m still gonna say something.  I freaking love the griffins as is.  They breathed new life into the game for me.  I would be happy giving up all other dinos and flying around on my griffin hunting  down wild game and teasing wyverns.  It’s my world dang it!  

Okay... maybe I would have a Rex too.  

I hope they at least give us armor or saddles for these guys now.  

My reply to crows, I'll repeat what someone else said:

5 hours ago, johnm81 said:

PvE should have been left alone who cares how easy griffins allow them to kill comptuer controlled pixels

Crows, I never said I didnt care about PvP. I have respect and care about other people, and in my opinion (with very little experience on a PvP server), the nerf was a good thing for PvP, but I do not know from my own experience (nor do I want any time on there, people on PvP are usually hostile combative individuals and I want nothing to do with that kind of playstyle or persons). Because I do not play PvP, whatever happens on it is none of my concern. But just because it is none of my concern doesn't make me a heartless person.

I can speak for myself, and my gameplay. I do not think I needed this nerf on PvE, nor did I want it for my private server.

If I want to play in a god-like state, I will make my server to be that way (which I have, as best as I can).

I want to reverse this nerf for my private server. Tell me, how can I get my tamed griffins back to how they were, without changing any other dino?

I am also still waiting for a config to remove flier speed cap for unofficial and singleplayer. I want my flyer back that could go from coast to coast in under 5 minutes.

4 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I dont understand why you feel this way. What negative was being caused in PvE with griffins as they were?

Maybe the fact that they made other flyers feel obsolete, like Pteras, Argys (unless levelled into weight for farming/carrying, but then there's the Quetzal) Tapejaras and wyverns. The Griffin was like the God of the sky, now like I said, even though it doesn't effect me, I can understand why they were nerfed in general.

4 minutes ago, Crows said:

Maybe the fact that they made other flyers feel obsolete, like Pteras, Argys (unless levelled into weight for farming/carrying, but then there's the Quetzal) Tapejaras and wyverns. The Griffin was like the God of the sky, now like I said, even though it doesn't effect me, I can understand why they were nerfed in general.

So you're glad they're basically worthless now, instead of just toning them down a bit so they remain viable for anything other than sight seeing?

17 minutes ago, Crows said:

The Griffin was like the God of the sky

I dont see why that is a problem for PvE. I wish the rest of the flyers weren't nerfed in PvE too. Still waiting for configs to counter that older nerf as well. I've asked for it, but nothing almost showing that it's been made available to us unofficial folks.

Nerf to pve shouldn't have happened to begin with imo. the excuses used by Wildcard for why pve flier nerf happened doesnt fly with me, like how they said that we could pass 80% of the dangers on a flier... what if that is what I want to do?

What if what I want to do is have "leavemealone" applied to all tames and all players at all times? Seriously, that is what I want for my server. I've had to make some extreme adjustments with the existing configs to get the kind of game me and my servermates want.

If only there was a way to make all wilds have passive AI. THAT would be perfect for my server imo. No survival aspect, just tame and build and hoard.

3 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I dont see why that is a problem for PvE. I wish the rest of the flyers weren't nerfed in PvE too. Still waiting for configs to counter that older nerf as well. I've asked for it, but nothing showing that it's been made available to us unofficial folks.

Nerf to pve shouldn't have happened to begin with imo. the excuses used by Wildcard for why pve flier nerf happened doesnt fly with me, like how they said that we could pass 80% of the dangers on a flier... what if that is what I want to do?

What if what I want to do is have "leavemealone" applied to all tames and all players at all times? Seriously, that is what I want for my server. I've had to make some extreme adjustments to the configs as they are to get the kind of game me and my servermates want.

If only there was a way to make all wilds have passive AI. THAT would be perfect for my server imo. No survival aspect, just tame and build and hoard.

I can also ignore. 80% of the danger aquiring mid 3 raptors, gettkng 1 carno, or riding most land mounts. Hell every large mount makes one completely immune to the gimmick dinos like microraptors. It was definitely just a PR excuse they came up. to deny the fact they simply catered to the whims of their favored customers.

1 minute ago, GreenRoc said:

like how they said that we could pass 80% of the dangers on a flier... what if that is what I want to do?

6 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

And with that your opinion on balancing a survival part of the game can be safely ignored.

As a former PvPer who now plays PvE, what took them so damn long. On PvP they were stupidly strong. On PvE I tamed a 150 griffin, and instantly put it away again, they removed any point in using other flyers, especially when everybody was still recovering from the flyer nerf.

Griffins are still useful, they are still the fastest way to travel, you can still bully wyverns with them, you just won't be able to sit in the wyvern trench and laugh at them.

When I get back to ragnarok, I'll test out my griffin, but all It means is you level health and stamina instead of melee and use them for a purpose not a flying tank that one shots wyverns you use for everything.

They are fast argies now, with better attack and more general utility, as they should be.

I have a griffin on Ragnarok, it hasn't stopped me in the slightest to. take my Pelagornis out instead to joyride on or to go collect fish meat, polymer, and Cnidaria venom. It didn't stop me at all from still using my Tapejara even though yes Griffins are just better Tapejaras.  It certainly doesn't stop my desire to take my lightning Wyvern out to carry large land tames around where I need them to be.  Hell my Pelagornis is the one I choose to ride the most and even before the 'rebalace it's stats were weak enough that most people don't even bother mentioning it when talking about flying mounts.

5 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I have a griffin on Ragnarok, it hasn't stopped me in the slightest to. take my Pelagornis out instead to joyride on or to go collect fish meat, polymer, and Cnidaria venom. It didn't stop me at all from still using my Tapejara even though yes Griffins are just better Tapejaras.  It certainly doesn't stop my desire to take my lightning Wyvern out to carry large land tames around where I need them to be.  Hell my Pelagornis is the one I choose to ride the most and even before the 'rebalace it's stats were weak enough that most people don't even bother mentioning it when talking about flying mounts.

That's why I left mine in the stable I built for them. How many people have spent an hour gliding over the water on a pelagornis laughing at the Sharks failing?

29 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

No survival aspect, just tame and build and hoard.

No problem with that.  IMO, I think you should be able to play this game however you want on unofficial.  That was part of my attraction to Ark in the first place, the ability to customize the game to my particular play style.  I’ve never had that in a console game. Ever.  So I get particularly frustrated when the devs decide to force me to play a certain way.  Once I’ve tasted the freedom, I have a hard time handing it back.

25 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

And with that your opinion on balancing a survival part of the game can be safely ignored.

Pretty much yes.

I do like harvesting things, and kinda like the eating part, needing to eat (have a farm) gives me a bit of a direction to go with when building. I don't like it when I have to eat every 30 min (or 5 min), I just wanna eat every once in a while, where I still have to make farms and such, but not to a point where most of my time is spent staying alive. I want most of my time spent on exploring, building, collecting, and sorting items. I don't like getting interrupted with my building because my human needed a drink. Or having to carry extra weight to carry those extra items to stay alive while I build.

Taking 25 min or more to cross the map is an annoyance I do not want, but without configs to counter it, I'm now in a habit of stuffing an object in my W key (and going afk while I travel), instead of enjoying a fast thrilling flight across the map in under 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Crows said:

I'm sorry but Griffins rightly deserved their nerf, even in PvE. If you don't give a damn about them being nerfed in PvP, why should I give a damn about them being nerfed in PvE? what exactly have you lost? wow, you now KINDA have to land more for stamina and you can't simple smash the hell out of a few wild dinos, gosh. Such a terrible loss! 

They were clearly over-performing in PvE and PvP, and if you disagree, then it just goes to show what kind of player you are for getting too comfortable with something that was overpowered since day 1 of their release. They were a huge slap in the face to those of us who were in favour of the flyer nerfs because of how WildCard nerfed all flyers and then suddenly added one which could outperform almost every flyer; the Griffin.

I've been PvPing non-stop for a week now because our server is at war (thanks to certain megatribes) and in every single PvP scenario, a Griffin completely dominates. Pick and bite. Dive-bomb and win. Hover and snipe. Get shot loads of times, no problem - insanely high health. Need to dodge somebody? here's some Tapejara mobility! oh and have some insane speed while you're at it. You barely have to land to regain stamina at around 2,000 because you can get from A to B within no time.

Thank you WildCard. B|

Well said Crows. PVP became a joke with the release of the Griffin. Every player and their dog was using one because to not use one meant you were instantly disadvantaged. This change was well and truly needed and will result in more variety in the skies and indeed on land since land mounts now become a thing again. 

I find it bemusing that there are people on here still trying to defend the pre nerf Griffin. That really does take some effort. Then again not so long ago on here there were people saying that Pteradon's one hitting Alpha raptors was "perfectly fine" and not to nerf them...

1 hour ago, Saupe said:

As a former PvPer who now plays PvE, what took them so damn long. On PvP they were stupidly strong. On PvE I tamed a 150 griffin, and instantly put it away again, they removed any point in using other flyers, especially when everybody was still recovering from the flyer nerf.

Griffins are still useful, they are still the fastest way to travel, you can still bully wyverns with them, you just won't be able to sit in the wyvern trench and laugh at them.

When I get back to ragnarok, I'll test out my griffin, but all It means is you level health and stamina instead of melee and use them for a purpose not a flying tank that one shots wyverns you use for everything.

They are fast argies now, with better attack and more general utility, as they should be.

Except tapas, argies, pteras, etc are breedable and imprintable.

You can still bully wyverns with them...? LOL good luck with that.

Archived