Griffin Balance

ForzaProiettile

12 minutes ago, Probitas said:

I don't think the devs care about anything but the most vocal whiners in PvP. Griffin restored some much needed chaos to the servers, now they'll likely ground it and restore the status quo. At least until the Aberration dinos start being downloaded in, then we'll see whole new cries for "play my game for me devs'.

Truth be told, I don't think the devs care terribly about any of the most vocal whiners, in PvP OR PvE

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After giving it some more thought, the griffins ability to pull back at sprint speed may have been removed due to a very rare glitch where it would perform the dive manuever in reverse and ascend extremely fast. This is something I have only ever experienced once or twice, and is not reliably reproducible AFAIK. 

When I first read the patch notes about the change, I thought this was the glitch they were referring to when they said it would ascend faster than intended. I imagine without anyway to reproduce this error with reliability and easily fix it, they instead just removed the ability to pull back at sprint speed for now (even though its occurrence is extremely low.)

This might end up being a temporary change until they can do a more extensive overhaul of the code to pinpoint the real issue. 

15 hours ago, Ascendant said:

After giving it some more thought, the griffins ability to pull back at sprint speed may have been removed due to a very rare glitch where it would perform the dive manuever in reverse and ascend extremely fast. This is something I have only ever experienced once or twice, and is not reliably reproducible AFAIK. 

When I first read the patch notes about the change, I thought this was the glitch they were referring to when they said it would ascend faster than intended. I imagine without anyway to reproduce this error with reliability and easily fix it, they instead just removed the ability to pull back at sprint speed for now (even though its occurrence is extremely low.)

This might end up being a temporary change until they can do a more extensive overhaul of the code to pinpoint the real issue. 

If you dive within sight of the target and pull up as you swipe, you will ascend fast because that was intended when they introduce the speed dive. Part of the dive speed can be used to ascend while retaining the buff. Sure, it's not as fast, but it's still better than a flat out sprint climb that uses more stamina. But it takes skill and timing to do it, something I'm sure is difficult for people to do without a lot of practice. No doubt trying it with a control pad rates as hard to do. And no doubt some will call that an exploit. But it can be done OUT of combat, so I don't see how that can be the case.

You can lose PvP not just because of a cheater or exploiter, or an OP tool. You can lose by being a bad pvp'er. I know some will call me arrogant for suggesting it, but it is possible whether some would admit it or not. (Sauron probably thought the Eagles were too OP for taking on Wraiths on Fellbeasts, but I still claim they lost because he put too much faith in his Ring. Well that, and it was in the story. But the moral holds true - All the eggs in one basket, right?)

Oh how wonderful. Nerfs....

Ragnarok:
- Reduced the Griffin's base HP by 30% 
- Reduced the Griffin's HP gained per level (wild) by 25%
- Reduced the Griffin's HP gained per level (tamed) by 22%
- Reduced the Griffin's Base stamina by 10%
- Reduced the Griffin's diving swipe damage by 50%
- Reduced the Griffin's dive bomb damage by 25%

40 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Oh how wonderful. Nerfs....

Ragnarok:
- Reduced the Griffin's base HP by 30% 
- Reduced the Griffin's HP gained per level (wild) by 25%
- Reduced the Griffin's HP gained per level (tamed) by 22%
- Reduced the Griffin's Base stamina by 10%
- Reduced the Griffin's diving swipe damage by 50%
- Reduced the Griffin's dive bomb damage by 25%

Argh I don't even want to know what my griffins hp is now...

Thank you devs for cowaring to the incompetent whiners and trashing the game. This ruining of the Griffin will make every aspect of the game much more stale and boring. 

Much frustration and contempt all round.

Fixed that for you.

Bloody disgraceful update.  This was Blizzard-level 'balancing' here.  No small tweak, just completely destroy it.

Hopefully the CF-mod will fix Wildcard's yielding to the lowest common denominator.  Again.

Yup. You got what you wanted.  Nerf the griffin.  Man.  We play PVE on our own server do our own thing and freaking love playing on those griffins.  My absolute favorite go-to dino.  Just fun to ride and fly and stomp.  We even used them to kill a Giga once (and almost lost them, mind you). It was a challenge but it was possible and that is part of my fun.  Maybe they are a little OP but really, you can’t breed them, they are only available on one map so you have to go there to get them.  Come on.  PVE is such a different play experience from PVP but now we gotta fall in line with PVP because you all can’t figure out a way to deal with them.  I’ve said my peace.  Now I get to explain to my griffin why he’s getting castrated.  

Oh noooo....

Now I wont be able to 4 shot wyverns and their rider with my griffin who has no head box, hp = to a wyvern, faster than a ptera, stam = to a argie.

This was needed. Kids these days taking temper tantrums when they can't see past their own selfish desires and acknowledge they are not more important than game balance.

PS: PvE should have been left alone who cares how easy griffins allow them to kill comptuer controlled pixels

8 minutes ago, kentaru said:

look what u ve done u idiot we dont need this crappy nerf in pve

Take your insults elsewhere man...

Griffins still have their fun flight mechanics, are still the fastest and their stamina only got reduced by 10%, which is good. And they still deal a lot of damage. The hp nerf is a bit heavier but probably still okay, especially since its best attack (the swipe) is a hit and run kind of thing, you dont need to tank with your griffin, except from some pvp situations maybe. I´d say that sounds pretty balanced.

1 hour ago, DomiDarko said:

As a PvE-player I'd like to see a server setting... Or hopefully the Classic Flyers-mod will change it back.

I agree! I want the configs, please!

I am pure PvE, and I have a server where Flyer nerf delivered a devastating blow to what I want for my unofficial, and I  still have not been given the configs to reverse the flier nerf.

Classic Flyers is buggy and corrupts the dinos making transfers of flyers impossible, so Classic Flyers is not an option for my server where I transer a lot, and do not want to risk the server to corruption due to a mod.

I want configs from Wildcard to counter these nerfs that I do not want.

Still waiting, still hoping for these configs.

Griffin nerf is another fine PvP needed nerf that also hits PvE. Another pvp nerf that pisses me off.

Wish they could find a way to seperate the two games when it comes to dino stats, and stop nerfing PvE dinos because PvP needs it nerfed.

It's not like a PvP dino can be moved to a PvE server, because they cant.

I am not happy about this change.

I'm hoping with this outcry from people against PvE nerfs (that help PvP but hurt PvE) will bring motivation to the devs to create configs to allow unofficial to counter these nerfs.

My server doesn't want this griffin nerf. My server never wanted the initial flyer nerf. My server wants the flyer speed uncapped. Classic flyers is not the answer because of how it alters dinos, making them non-transferable.

Until the configs are made, I may have to drastically multiply the stamina of all my server dinos to compensate.

46 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

...Classic Flyers is buggy and corrupts the dinos making transfers of flyers impossible, so Classic Flyers is not an option for my server where I transer a lot, and do not want to risk the server to corruption due to a mod...

Are you really sure about CF makes flyers stuck in obelisks/transmitters? This would explain why I can't download my Wyverns, Pteras, Quetzals and Griffins, but it wouldn't explain why I CAN download a Tapejara... O.o 

43 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I'm hoping with this outcry from people against PvE nerfs (that help PvP but hurt PvE) will bring motivation to the devs to create configs to allow unofficial to counter these nerfs.

My server doesn't want this griffin nerf. My server never wanted the initial flyer nerf. My server wants the flyer speed uncapped. Classic flyers is not the answer because of how it alters dinos, making them non-transferable.

Until the configs are made, I may have to drastically multiply the stamina of all my server dinos to compensate.

The only real way to get a company to change their minds is not not only stop buying their inferior products until they actually change, but to publicly tell them why, repeatedly, the reason you no longer want the currently crappy product. Companies only change because they have to.

Archived