Turrets 2: Electric Boogaloo (Or, what are we actually doing?)

TheRightHand
Message added by Jerryn

You can find the Technical reasons for the change here:

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Moozoo said:

I've not done this in awhile but

Set your defense dinos to aggressive.
Hop on a Doed, and whistle them to follow the Doed.
Load the Doed up so it can not move and put it also on aggressive.
You can set the attack range to control how far they will go from the Doed.
When you log out the defense dinos will still follow the Doed and return to it.
There was a server bug where a server restart would clear the follow command. But they fixed it awhile back.

Ok, but shouldn't this be possible without the need for an anchor dino and with a set limit? And one that isn't completely negated by killing the anchoring dino?

For once ARK was about to get some SORELY needed balance.  Only people complaining about this are mega tribes ruining the game anyway because youre either in the mega tribe meta or you just get poop on 24/7.  No balance what so ever.  Having less turrets = less defense means these mega tribes would actually have to DEFEND instead of just farming all the turrets.  Gives little guys more of a chance to actually pvp, even then not much but still better.

Now they want to cave into pressure and offer some bandaid stronger turrets.  Listening to this community in the forums is often toxic and not what the vast majority of people want nor what the game NEEDS.

8 minutes ago, Moozoo said:

You can build a one by one metal room around the doed. Doed are best for this because they are small and curl up once damaged.

Again, that's just a sneaky, and clever, way to achieve the same result. Why not just add a mechanic that does this to the game. No need for metal room, or doed, or anchoring, just click Defend Area and log off knowing that your level 240 rex will kill anything that walks in, but won't run off into the wild blue yonder chasing some yahoo on a Ptera.

25 minutes ago, GDP said:

Only people complaining about this are mega tribes ruining the game anyway

blablabla only People in favor are beach noobs or PvE Players blablabla

See what I did there?

Also for everyone to understand. This Change is not to Change the meta and make bases easy to raid. Its to make Servers less laggy if anything.

Please wildcard, I love ark, but please don't fix things that don't need fixing. Instead of blaming the issue on turrets, look at other areas too, nitrado for one is an awful server provider, and your game is poorly optimized in general. The current meta at the moment is all numbers, the number of auto turrets you have, the number of soakers you have, the number of resources you have, the number of plant turrets you have. Please listen when I say that if you are going to set a limit, set it to 500-1000 turrets in an area, and release the new turrets before the 5th so people can actually prepare and not scramble to get the new turrets up. I have faith that the 5th will be raid day for every mega tribe out there, whether they are attacking or defending is yet to be determined. Please wildcard, listen to the pvp community, and make the limit higher, and release the new turrets before the update hits.

I want to clarify before people say I am "Mega tribe scum" or something along those lines, that I am not, I am a solo player with a compact 10x10 metal base. I have over 250 auto turrets and over 100 plant x.
The only way that this will fix lag is it will make people stop playing. Don't make this into a game where raiding is effortless. I want to have a rough time raiding.

Anyways, pointless rant over. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Jabroni said:

1. The whole Ark community complains about lag. This change will only affect PvP players though. 

2. Out of all the things there are in this game that can be reduced, changed, improved or whatever, they go for the literally only defence this game offers to PvP players. Turrets and their amount are what makes the difference between pretty much any tribe out there, especially the ones that dont have people online 24/7. 

1. That's because the servers with the most severe lag are all the ines that are PVP as stated by jat, more than once. It's true some Pve server suffer aswell but for completely different reasons.

2. That's because due to players(including us) spamming as many turrets in any given area, it's One of the major reasons for the servers being laggy, which is why they have to set a limit.

53 minutes ago, Jabroni said:

blablabla only People in favor are beach noobs or PvE Players blablabla

See what I did there?

Also for everyone to understand. This Change is not to Change the meta and make bases easy to raid. Its to make Servers less laggy if anything.

Which I find funny. Tons of people complain constantly about the rubber banding and lag. Wild card comes out and says that turrets are a huge reason for that lag, and that they need to place a cap on turrets per area to stop the lag, and everyone freaks out. Which do they want? The lag to stop or the 1000s of turrets?

1 hour ago, ItWasntMe said:

well i think this nerf is cool, much better for us solo players

Actually it will be just as bad if not worse for solo and small tribes. These tribes often don't have the luxury of spacing out turret towers like Mega tribes do as they might be trying to keep a low profile so as to not draw the attention of the Alpha Tribes or the area they are built in simply won't allow for more spacing (such as on top of a small plateau). Plus when the Alpha tribes feel insecure, they take it out on the little guys. I'm already hearing reports of Alpha Tribes engaging in, or planning on engaging in, an all out Blitzkrieg on the smaller tribes on their server before they have the chance to come to their front doorstep with their own soakers.

3 hours ago, Jabroni said:

1. The whole Ark community complains about lag. This change will only affect PvP players though. 

2. Out of all the things there are in this game that can be reduced, changed, improved or whatever, they go for the literally only defence this game offers to PvP players. Turrets and their amount are what makes the difference between pretty much any tribe out there, especially the ones that dont have people online 24/7. 

1. The worst lag is in pvp. Yes pve has some lag due to servers capped with dinos and too many dinos in one area, but by and large pvp servers perform the worst and mostly due to the number of turrets. 

2. This is more an issue of what has become of ark pvp. It used to be that most raiding took place online, tribe vs tribe, but that has changed and is now primarily online tribe vs offline tribe. This could probably be better fixed by an offline raid protection of sorts where after a set amount of time after logging off, rather than being indestructible, structures could get a buff so they take less damage, and turrets cause more damage. If they made it so it was more cost prohibitive in terms of resources to raid an offline base as compared to an online base, I think you would see a lot more raiding being done against online tribes. 

I see a lot of people bitching about us bitching about the turret limit and saying we asked for it cause we were bitching about lag and rubber banding. 100 turret limit will literally stop us from progressing n the game. I was talking to my tribe last night and apparently gigas got nerfed again? They enrage super fast now? So youre gonna make me put my giga outside since I cant build a building big enough to house it but like 4 shot gun shots enrage it? How the hell are we suppose to progress as a tribe?

32 minutes ago, DeltaEmeraldMC said:

Please wildcard, I love ark, but please don't fix things that don't need fixing. Instead of blaming the issue on turrets

They aren't BLAMING the issue on turrets, they looked at the data and realized the problem WAS turrets. It is not the same thing. According to the available data, turrets were responsible for a disproportionately high amount of server use. The easiest way to reduce the load on the server, and get smother performance, is to reduce the number of turrets. Asking for them to please not reduce the number of turrets means you are asking that other people accept the lag so you can keep an absurd amount of turrets.

Gotta reduce the lag to have a decent server. Gotta cut turrets to reduce lag. They are compensating by looking at nerfs to stegos, increasing damage from turrets, and other things, but this is going to happen. It would be better to be a part of it than to dig your heels in or beg. Instead of "Please don't reduce the number of towers!" how about "How do we make this number of towers WORK?"

first, i would like to thank you @TheRightHand for this post, long overdue but i think all in community are gratefull for it

second, i have to say that this is how communication with your player base should be. if you post explanations like this on every major change we all would be more sattisifed and im sure ark would have much better grades on steam. please keep communicating with your community like this

third, thanks for finaly clearing out why cant you reduce amount of game servers per one physical server. i would sad its about more than year late, but i still support this and as people say, better late than never

forth, majority of your players are solo players, small to medium tribes. do you think they enjoy being cannon fodder for mega and alpha tribes? i dont know is there any limitation on tribes as i seen tribes with 248 playes on their roster 15 days ago, dont know is there limit at all. why dont you introduce small tribes cluster with limitations of 15-20 people per tribe? limiting people to one character per cluster (official) would be great game change.

fifth, try some polls, you would surprise to see how people will react on them

2 hours ago, KingGalahad said:

Which I find funny. Tons of people complain constantly about the rubber banding and lag. Wild card comes out and says that turrets are a huge reason for that lag, and that they need to place a cap on turrets per area to stop the lag, and everyone freaks out. Which do they want? The lag to stop or the 1000s of turrets?

I would definitely prefer to have lag then no way to defend my base properly and I have seen plenty of others with this opinion as well

9 minutes ago, fdolan2001 said:

I would definitely prefer to have lag then no way to defend my base properly and I have seen plenty of others with this opinion as well

Then I invite you to perhaps participate in the main discussion taking place now. 

Namely how the turret reduction can be implemented (because it will be) without causing too much disruption to base defense.  The boost amount to current turrets, the new heavy turrets and their capabilities, possible tweaking of bullet soakers and vegy cake use. 

Discussions that actually matter.

They aren't BLAMING the issue on turrets, they looked at the data and realized the problem WAS turrets. It is not the same thing. According to the available data, turrets were responsible for a disproportionately high amount of server use. The easiest way to reduce the load on the server, and get smother performance, is to reduce the number of turrets. Asking for them to please not reduce the number of turrets means you are asking that other people accept the lag so you can keep an absurd amount of turrets.
Gotta reduce the lag to have a decent server. Gotta cut turrets to reduce lag. They are compensating by looking at nerfs to stegos, increasing damage from turrets, and other things, but this is going to happen. It would be better to be a part of it than to dig your heels in or beg. Instead of "Please don't reduce the number of towers!" how about "How do we make this number of towers WORK?"
I disagree, there are many other issues in the game that cause lag, and if they didn't think that they would get hate from this change, they need to think harder.
It isn't about begging for them to not reduce turret towers, it's about helping them find a comfortable medium. If my 10x10 solo base has that many turrets, imagine what a mega tribe would go through. The game will no longer be about turrets, it will be about obstructing land access so barely anything can get up, this will be easiest at locations with one access point, but will be very hard to pull off anywhere else.

As I said in the post, I'm not requesting they don't add the limit, I agree that there needs to be one. The reason everyone is hating on them is because of how stupid the amount of turrets they are allowing is.

How about you only use quotation marks for things that I actually said, such as the argument I never started that you frequently pointed out in your reply. I was not asking for them to not reduce it, as nowhere in the post did I say that. If you are putting words in my mouth, then it proves you didn't proofread through my comment enough while writing your reply, not to mention, if you are grouping every player against this change as one, even the ones who clearly say that they are willing to accept the limit if it is higher, you are part of the problem.

"How do we make this number of turrets work?" was what I was mostly focusing on. The most likely answer is, with the current number, it probably won't. Which is why I suggested various fixes for the lag, being a respectable limit of 500-1000 while not going overboard, and looking at their pretty awful server provider.
I am aware that they found problems with the turrets, but there are many other issues. They stated that the fps would go from 1 to 3-5, which is definitely not worth it in my opinion. If the fps is only going to go up to 3-5, then it isn't just turrets that they have to be worried about, idle animations are another problem.

If you seriously think that putting a limit of 100 turrets will stop the lag completely, you are as blind as anybody that you are criticising.

Regarding the veggie cake problem.

I think that the only problem that people has with it it's that they also use it sometimes, some people to heal "Therizinos" in bosses Arena.

So It's not elegant in anyway but you maybe could do an "Arena cake" that could be used only in the boss arena and don't have the limitations that veggie cake will have to have in order to compensate for the loss of stopping power from auto-defenses.

My two cents.

2 hours ago, KingGalahad said:

It is possible to achieve both at same time, no we dont want 1000s and 10000s of turrets, we just want to be able to achieve same dps to keep same lvl of security that you achieve with large number of turrets. so turret they anounced is step in right direction but with 100 limit, it is still to low to compensate for what we are used to.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived