When ark was the best

SmokeyB

When do you think ark was at its best ? 

For me it was during early access , around the time just before the therizino was added ,  farming was still fun , you had to out of render the quetz on a pteta but you still could do it nice , birds was high level and fast and strong , I could still barrel roll and get milk without stopping every 5 mins,  turtles could tank bullets and we had an army of multi coloured turtles , quetz still had hp, no troodons or pegomastix or stupid seagulls running around outside  , I loved my ascendant rocket launcher 1 shotting metal walls , swamp cave was fun with no centipedes , the sea was fun with no eals , tek wasnt out yet so that game ruiner wasnt a worry , we could have as many turrets as we liked and even spam plants everywhere , transfers had just opened up so there was loads of weak alphas that had terrible bases still trying to hold onto their servers that they had had for 2 years but now didnt have man power or skill to fight off cross server raiders , pvp still happened on your home server instead of everyone just being allied and people still thought we would get to keep our stuff after release so was grinding hard. And it was before mass duping took over every server .

Simpler times .......it feels like every change made after this has made the game worse in one way or another , slowly sucking the fun out of the game , and crushing our will to play . I also feel like the game was more balanced back then as well.

My favourite times are a bit before or the same period, when auto turrets worked on quetz platforms and I used to fly low level along beach’s usually playing ride of Valkyrie down the mic haha good times

anky weight glitch

fishing rod release

center cave jump thingy

like you said being able to fly fast

pumpkins everywhere (or was that rust)

a proper Xmas event (snow everywhere)

original volcano 

the good ole days before scorched (wyverens) and rag (griffins) 

17 minutes ago, Pommer said:

My favourite times are a bit before or the same period, when auto turrets worked on quetz platforms and I used to fly low level along beach’s usually playing ride of Valkyrie down the mic haha good times

anky weight glitch

fishing rod release

center cave jump thingy

like you said being able to fly fast

pumpkins everywhere (or was that rust)

a proper Xmas event (snow everywhere)

original volcano 

the good ole days before scorched (wyverens) and rag (griffins) 

Yeah them was  the days , max lvl 120 kept everything manageable , brontos were beasts covered in x plants ,  no transfers meant good tames actually mattered and you knew your enemies , rexs was just for eggs lol 

That was around the time just before the centre came out , that was when I started playing , that was the game that got me hooked , imadgine starting now , I would have quit after an hour 

46 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Yesterday.
Ark was definitely best yesterday when we killed the Center bosses.

The monkey didnt even move lol 

Its a good achievement to put the work in to beat the alpha bosses , breed up the chicken army , grind the artifacts etc 

But how fun was it ? All the boss fights are boring as hell, it takes too long to get everything organised for the fight and then its real anticlimactic lol I much prefered the game befoer bosses and tek 

1 minute ago, SmokeyB said:

The monkey didnt even move lol 

Its a good achievement to put the work in to beat the alpha bosses , breed up the chicken army , grind the artifacts etc 

But how fun was it ? All the boss fights are boring as hell, i

I'm still annoyed by that fight actually.
We took 4 attempts on that fight or something.

First attempt we got wrecked by stone to the face.
Second attempt we got a clean legit kill with the bosses not being stuck, but I died due monkey again.
Third attempt is the first video....
Fourth attempt is the second video.....

After that we just gave up trying to get a second legit kill.
But yeah, most of the effort and trouble goes into creating the chicken army.
Once you have those you're pretty much set up to Alpha Ascension which requires 2 rexes and piggies to clear the cave.

For 2 years they hardly had any duping issues nothing they implemented timers, ragnarock without fully testing it, changed bird speeds which people were happy issues on pvp pve players got delt with they have things great people were happy. Pve and pvp is differn't . Before people use to stream on twitch now hardly anyone does people have given up on the game because management doesnt care at all you say something wrong thread gets wiped or they ban you from speaking the truth. Every game has issues but the devs try and fix them these devs dont care as long as they are selling the game. New players can't build or tame or breed they just paid for a 60.00 virtual coaster unless you go on unofficals and there they wipe constantly. Damned if u do damned if you do. Maybe get people running the game that care........Anyone can say what people want to hear , actions speak louder then words. Hell game magazines call this game a one hit wonder.

Personally, i had my best time in ark this summer, on primitive official. It was mainly because of the amazing tribemates i had there and the fun we had together, but also the fact that primitive is just very close to how my vision of ark looks like. Sadly the tribe fell apart after they didnt release new primitive servers at official release.

Otherwise, i can just repeat what op and others said. The best time was when the game was less overcrowded with stuff and features, around the time they added transfers. A simple turret was a really big thing back then, a bronto was actually a very valuable tame to have. Everything happened on a smaller scale, everybody was able to take part in the political business of his/her server. The gap between the small tribe and the big alphas was not that huge. You could get far when you knew how to play the game and the politics. There were no huge tribes/alliances owning multiple servers and bases bigger than the game can handle. Every server had different people at the top.

Edit: I made a similar thread a while ago, including this video of nooblets from Jan 2016. Its long but it emphasizes how positively different Ark was back then :)

I do miss the old times when duping and ddos wasnt a thing... once you were on a server you stayed and fought.. tribe wars were more confined to your server so you fought harder for every inch of ground that was yours and none of this importing help cause you made a back door deal with a group using questionable means of payment if was sololy in game loot or a quick deposit to an unnamed paypal account

People over the past few months seem to be confusing the state of the game with the state of outrage the resident forum drama queens are demonstrating. In that respect, as of current the PC version of the game is in the best state it's been in since day one of EA release. I couldn't tell you about the console version, and don't care in the slightest about it.

That being said, the biggest problem with Ark since mid-late 2016 has been the mentality of the player base on Official servers. In that respect (the customers), the game is the second worst it has ever been, closely following the state of customer base after the movement speed balances. Players demand answers to questions that don't have answers yet, then claim there wasn't any communication. People get an answer they don't like and claim the communication sucks because they disagree with the solution. People cry conspiracy when they lose the ability to exploit mechanics or are no longer able to circumvent fundamental parts of the game with them. 

At some point certain players (not just Ark, but gamers in general) got it into their thick skulls that if a developer doesn't do what the customer wants, then the developer isn't listening to the customer. In that respect, Ark was the best it has ever been in the first 8-12 months after EA release. For that year or so, most players were just excited to see new things and play a game with a new and unique concept. 

Before Ark transfers came out. The server (official island) was self contained, and all the big tribes knew each other and had to work with (or against) each other. He was from the tribe with great Argies, she was from the tribe with great Ankys, we were the Quetz guys.   Transfers saw people arriving with dinos from trading forums and massive tribes setting up over night who didn't want to join the community...

Archived