Main problem with ark

SmokeyB

I agree, but keep in mind a lot of people play PvP, and it’s quite time consuming, and difficult, to build a base that’s good looking and hard to raid. 

PS: Ark is not, has never been, and will never be a ‘building game’. Sure, it has building in it, but the main focus is survival and dinosaurs. It’s not Minecraft. xD

Give me a way with the current build system to make a structure that is easier to protect against blind spots and can fit wyvs, rexes and tons of war tames so that they cannot be hover sniped and I'll build it.  Big boxes are just the most efficient and safest way to build a pvp base.  We usually have a smallish PvE house nearby for posterity, but big boxes are the only guaranteed viable build option currently.

34 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Give me a way with the current build system to make a structure that is easier to protect against blind spots and can fit wyvs, rexes and tons of war tames so that they cannot be hover sniped and I'll build it.  Big boxes are just the most efficient and safest way to build a pvp base.  We usually have a smallish PvE house nearby for posterity, but big boxes are the only guaranteed viable build option currently.

Yeah I get what you are saying but you can still make the big box look different. Put turret towers on the top , sniper positions , have some hidden rooms and maybe a sloped roof section somewhere.  

It is possible to have a well defended good looking base (well maybe before this turret nerf lol)

It's definitely possible to deviate from the standard box and still be protect-able.
But it's also not obvious to do, and more often than not you are fighting the build system and snap-points to get the pieces where you want them to be.
Not to mention, when you're going for these....special forms, placing pipes and cables becomes a lot harder, and sometimes impossible because the game doesn't allow you to snap where you want to.

2E33627EB65986556DCB77AAF7009C8D19929D60

This is a distance view of our base. We've basically created 3 hexagons against each other. The small right one is our kitchen and food storage, the center one houses the Tek Replicate and vaults, and the back one is the furnace for smelting metal etc. It's spatious, has everything but it took quite a lot of effort to build.
And I'm pretty sure the base is riddled with blind spots from the turrets on the roof and the plants, but at least it's keeping us safe at the moment.

20 hours ago, Olivar said:

It's definitely possible to deviate from the standard box and still be protect-able.
But it's also not obvious to do, and more often than not you are fighting the build system and snap-points to get the pieces where you want them to be.
Not to mention, when you're going for these....special forms, placing pipes and cables becomes a lot harder, and sometimes impossible because the game doesn't allow you to snap where you want to.

2E33627EB65986556DCB77AAF7009C8D19929D60

This is a distance view of our base. We've basically created 3 hexagons against each other. The small right one is our kitchen and food storage, the center one houses the Tek Replicate and vaults, and the back one is the furnace for smelting metal etc. It's spatious, has everything but it took quite a lot of effort to build.
And I'm pretty sure the base is riddled with blind spots from the turrets on the roof and the plants, but at least it's keeping us safe at the moment.

My big box base holds 35 rexes, 3 wyverns, 2 quetzals, a spino, paracer, 15 megatheriums and 12 theris plus other random small dinos... I'd have to build 300-500 additional structures to make it look pretty... on top of the 500 walls, 300 ceilings foundations etc. it already has...  Your base looks nice and seems defendable, as a workshop, not a dino pen.  Sick titano :)

5 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Time is usually a constraint on most PVP builds, and boxes are easy to wrap one's head around quickly.  Historically though, a star or plus shape was considered to be far superior to a box shape for fortifications with static defenses.  Just sayin'

Star shape requires active defence. if you have ppl/players actively protecting star it will give them bigger advantage over attackers. Problem with Ark is that bases are raided offline.

14 minutes ago, Meshi said:

Star shape requires active defence. if you have ppl/players actively protecting star it will give them bigger advantage over attackers. Problem with Ark is that bases are raided offline.

Very true, although the overlapping fields of fire benefit turrets greatly as well.  More firepower coming in from more angles, but as you say there are other considerations as well.

Archived